Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:12 PM
thomasf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

I'm Soooo Bummed. My Yak has been ready for two weekends and it is either raining or 20mph winds. This weekend, rain. Three times a charm. Maybe weekend #4 is the one
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 PM
cwhite
My Feedback: (42)

Just a heads up! 3 of the 4 mounting blocks for the cowl came loose today and also tore the covering on the bottom. Make sure to inspect this after every flight. I'm thinking about pinning the blocks from the outside with toothpicks. Anybody do this yet? I have about 1 1/2 gallon through mine.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: thomasf

I'm Soooo Bummed. My Yak has been ready for two weekends and it is either raining or 20mph winds. This weekend, rain. Three times a charm. Maybe weekend #4 is the one

Oh stop it, man mine has been ready for a month, but Maudib has been holding my graphics hostage while he recovers. It don't fly till the graphics are dry
Old 04-20-2007, 10:42 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cwhite

Just a heads up! 3 of the 4 mounting blocks for the cowl came loose today and also tore the covering on the bottom. Make sure to inspect this after every flight. I'm thinking about pinning the blocks from the outside with toothpicks. Anybody do this yet? I have about 1 1/2 gallon through mine.
Any chance of seeing a picture of what your talking about?

John
Old 04-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I am going to toothpick my mounting blocks , also,....

I will maiden Sunday with Whirlyspud.

No spat, fairings, or louvres .

I am not going ot weigh it, it don;t matter to me. It's light.

I am bummed.......I have boken this bird numerous times in the shop. I tore the bottom of the rudder up, thankfully the black monokote from the wing bays was saved.

I have broken the canopy in the last half hour, on final assembly. two lengthwise cracks on either side of the crest. CA streaks to hold it together, and I don't even have one picture of it assembles yet. Bummer. I felt like putting my foot through it to finish it off and call it day. But, after primal scream therapy, I am ok now.

I have 1/2 overlap on the cowl, 1" prop distance, and 1/4 inch muffler face clearance.

DA-50R broken-in 50:1 AMsoil.

NX 23 x 8

DL-50 muffler..3.2oz. yeah, baby.

TP2100 2cell and Fromeco Super Reliaswitch w/ 3 3amp outputs , plane.

1 Pin-Flag switch on the entire plane.

TP1320 2 cell,Fromeco Reg , Ignition.

Du-bro heavy axles, stock gear, Kavan 4" tires.

Smartfly Opti-kill, led on motor.

JR 649 50mhz 9 channel rcvr.

JR 8611a's all surfaces, JR aluminum Arms, SWB Rudder arm. Hitec 5245mg for throttle. No choke lever or mech, choke tool is and always will be a part of my SOP.

Beefed motorbox, removable motor box top cover. Tunnel open and painted for airflow.

Oh, AND.....CA for my Mot@$%%$@%$^ broken canopy.

Whirlyspud, ........get your game face on, pal. There was absolutley no rust in your fingers,.....time for Yak Attack....

I will bring the 47" and 87" ad 88"....I had my 68" running with a gasser , but it is getting a re-do on the motor box. Don R. will have his 74" red out , also.

EF Yak Day at Shiller Field, IL, Sunday. Yeah, babe.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:40 AM
torqmeister

That sounds like a lot of " FUN " is fixin' to happen. Me & my 87" Yak are ready to leave for a big bird fly-in , in Malakoff, Tx today. Good flying to ya.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

cwhite,

Don't worry about your wieght... the 16 lbers are guys who have paid a pretty penny to get there.. $130 for gear, $20 for titanium axles (or custom ones) CF tuned pipe, etc...

Selection of redundnacy or not, loadout, etc... all makes a difference...

ORIGINAL: cwhite

4 flights today. Question regarding my B60. A friend at the field had a temp gun and although we could get readings we didn't really know what is good or bad. The hottest it got was 220 directly after flight. Is that too hot? Man, I'm depressed hearing people say their yak comes in at 16 pounds. Mine is 17.75lbs and I don't even have a pipe setup! Rats! Tomorrow I'm losing the lawnsludge and going to Golden Spectral synthetic mixed 50:1.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:24 AM
rcflyer04
My Feedback: (3)

John,

Any chance that Sunday field will be in Shawano ?

Dan
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

I think John flies at Kellner, WI.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:00 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: rcflyer04

John,

Any chance that Sunday field will be in Shawano ?

Dan
Yes, JRV has promised good weather.

John
Old 04-21-2007, 11:17 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

HELP!!!!!!

I took the EF Yak out today and maiden it about 5 min. The thing that puzzles me is I had to apply quite a bit up up trim. I am in the garage right now making sure my home made motor spacers are correct at zero with my install. I only needed 2 clicks of aileron trim at my radio being set up on trim step 1 vise the default of 4. My CG range is 6 3/4 to 7 1/2" I am in the 7" range on the CG. I started off with 31 trims up elevator with trim step one, I landed and added about an oz to the rear and re-flew and the trim went to 29 vise 31. In knfie edge the plane pulls to the wheels in both directions and on inverted flight it's climbing toward a slow loop or unline. If it did not fly climb inverted i would think i am still nose heavy. The wings and stab were dead on zero on the put together so i am lost any ideas on your end? With the plane being so true from the build i feel i have jacked up something on my end, talk soon as i am lost if the motor spacers are correct i will know more in the next hour. Here is what the elevator 1/2 look like right now, talk to me ALL!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14561.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	669210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97020.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	669211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37296.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	669212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14408.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	669213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31418.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	669214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du20341.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	669215  
Old 04-21-2007, 12:03 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

HELP!!!!!!

I took the EF Yak out today and maiden it about 5 min. The thing that puzzles me is I had to apply quite a bit up up trim. I am in the garage right now making sure my home made motor spacers are correct at zero with my install. I only needed 2 clicks of aileron trim at my radio being set up on trim step 1 vise the default of 4. My CG range is 6 3/4 to 7 1/2" I am in the 7" range on the CG. I started off with 31 trims up elevator with trim step one, I landed and added about an oz to the rear and re-flew and the trim went to 29 vise 31. In knfie edge the plane pulls to the wheels in both directions and on inverted flight it's climbing toward a slow loop or unline. If it did not fly climb inverted i would think i am still nose heavy. The wings and stab were dead on zero on the put together so i am lost any ideas on your end? With the plane being so true from the build i feel i have jacked up something on my end, talk soon as i am lost if the motor spacers are correct i will know more in the next hour. Here is what the elevator 1/2 look like right now, talk to me ALL!

One little test I would like you to have done, maybe you did. Fly across the flightline straight and level at about 3/4 throttle and chop the power. What does the plane do?

1. continue to fly level and then as it looses speeds slowly decend,

2. or upon chopping the power does the airplane start to climb?

Joihn
Old 04-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

Rodney, the hat is RED. I'll bleach your's pink if you like, but we'll all just laugh at you!

No flying today, but the weather is beautiful and I did go to the field and watch and enjoy the sounds of aviation. Should be able to fly next time I get a day off. Motor on, servos in, rudder servo mount beefed up like Maudib. On the gear with titanium axles and 4" Kavans with chrome hub. Note to self: The Kavan hubs are too wide to use with the retaining clip provided with the PSP axles. Have to use a wheel collar. What a shame! But the axles are half the weight. The project is coming along nicely and fairly quickly when I have time to work on it.

Doug

Name:	Mj24753.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	669259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27901.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	669260  
Old 04-21-2007, 01:41 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

jrjohn
i will check that out and let u know the results i just changed out my motor spacers and i am headed back to the field talk soon gerald
Old 04-21-2007, 01:58 PM
jrjohn

jrjohn
i will check that out and let u know the results i just changed out my motor spacers and i am headed back to the field talk soon gerald
Gerald, what is it about the spacers that you think could be the problem, I assume they are all the same length and square right?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:27 PM
itai

jrjohn
can you post were did you get the SD models CF gear JRR Custom lightened 3" standoffs
JRI Custom lightened axles 4'' Dave Brown "lite" wheels
DL-50 (Dong Ling) muffler
doyou have the links

thanks itai

ORIGINAL:

I finished my Yak just minutes ago, I weighed it on my postage scale. 15 pounds and 14.5 ounces. After a few flights, I'll be swaping out all the servo's except the rudder for the new Bluebird 830 DMG digital coreless servo's, About the same power as the Hitec 5945/5985's only 2 ounces liter on 4 of them. I'll then be 15 pounds 12.5 ounces.

here's the short list

SD models CF gear
JRR Custom lightened 3" standoffs
JRI Custom lightened axles
4'' Dave Brown "lite" wheels
DA-50 engine
DL-50 (Dong Ling) muffler (liter than the DA muffler)
4800 Fromeco Rec.
1500 JR Nimh Ign.
Smart fly failsafe HD regulator
23 x 8 NX prop.
5945 and 5955 hitecs

Maudib did my graphics, they are absolutly awsome, I'll apply them tomorrow.

If you want some first class graphics work, he's your man.

john
Old 04-21-2007, 02:57 PM
rcblimppro

HELP!!!!!!

We test flew my Dad's Yak and had the same issue. We leveled out the fuse and hit the stabs with a Robart meter. One stab was 1.5 degrees and the other was 2 degrees off. This has been fixed and we are waiting for the weather as well. I have to think that the long landing gear may have something to do with this. Other than that the airplane flew pretty well. we were having some motor issues as well so we havent really had a chance to really wring her out.

Shawn
Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: itai

jrjohn
can you post were did you get the SD models CF gear JRR Custom lightened 3" standoffs
JRI Custom lightened axles 4'' Dave Brown "lite" wheels
DL-50 (Dong Ling) muffler
doyou have the links

thanks itai

ORIGINAL:

I finished my Yak just minutes ago, I weighed it on my postage scale. 15 pounds and 14.5 ounces. After a few flights, I'll be swaping out all the servo's except the rudder for the new Bluebird 830 DMG digital coreless servo's, About the same power as the Hitec 5945/5985's only 2 ounces liter on 4 of them. I'll then be 15 pounds 12.5 ounces.

here's the short list

SD models CF gear
JRR Custom lightened 3" standoffs
JRI Custom lightened axles
4'' Dave Brown "lite" wheels
DA-50 engine
DL-50 (Dong Ling) muffler (liter than the DA muffler)
4800 Fromeco Rec.
1500 JR Nimh Ign.
Smart fly failsafe HD regulator
23 x 8 NX prop.
5945 and 5955 hitecs

Maudib did my graphics, they are absolutly awsome, I'll apply them tomorrow.

If you want some first class graphics work, he's your man.

john
Itai

SD models 33% CF gear -- Troybuilt models has them in stock. $105.00 plus shipping. SD models sell them for $120 shipping included. I paid $129 for my first one last summer, it hurt. They have a little write up about this gear comparing it to the other gears they stock.

JRR Custom lightened 3" standoffs-- I had these built to my specifications by a friend that has access to a CNC production lathe. (they are not in production)

JRI Custom lightened axles-- These were designed and built by my friend JRV, he has give me permission to release the design and specs if somebody wants to produce them. The thing about these axles, they are spacific to the SD CF gear. as such they won't work with other gears unless the axle hole was the same diameter and the leg of the gear would have to be the same thickness. The design is good because it keeps the wheel in close to the leg so as not to put stress on the gear leg, plus they weigh .75 ounces per pair, doesn't use wheel collars. JRV will not built them for sale. They take too much time to make. I'd suggest the PSP axles if you want to save weight.

4'' Dave Brown "lite" wheels--- you should be able to get them anywhere, LHS or Tower hobby. If your flying off asphalt, forget them and use Kavans.

DL-50 (Dong Ling) muffler, I'd call it the "Ding Ling" Made in China, comes with the DL-50 engine. You could try DL-USA, maybe they will be stocking them, or Peak Model. http://www.peakmodel.com One caution on the muffler, I don't have any time on mine yet, but from my observation the quality is questionable. ( I would never put my name on this muffler) I've read that a couple guys had trouble with the end of the can blowing out. They are lite but they should be the alluminum is so thin, it only has one side.

john
Old 04-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

ORIGINAL: djccrn

Note to self: The Kavan hubs are too wide to use with the retaining clip provided with the PSP axles. Have to use a wheel collar. What a shame! Doug
Doug for the Kavans you might use the next size up PSP axles they specify that they are for the 4 inch Kavans and cost about 5 bucks more.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:57 PM
cwhite

3 more flights today! Loving this plane. Mine climbs a little when inverted also but just slightly. Ran the B60 w/stock muffler today with the new oil (Golden Spectral synthetic). Was turning 6900 which I think is pretty good. When I first star the engine it tachs about 200-300 more rpms than it does right after I land from about a 15 minute flight. Is that normal or should I richen the top to try to get those numbers the same after the plane flies? One more tip: the oilpan on the cowl seems to crack right at the corner on each side. I have added another layer of fiberglass inside at each corner and spanned a piece of square stock across the width of the oilpan. This stiffens it up and will hopefully keep it from cracking more.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Yeah, my oil pan cracked on the front right corner. The inlet opening at the front of the cowl is also easily cracked as well. Possibly because I did not use the baffle. Also where I was reaching in to turn on the choke my watch kept catching and it cracked... but I saw some stress on another area of the opening although not as bad.

The cowl is off and getting touched up right now. 10 hours for me is approx 60 flights so I consider it normal wear and tear. On the other hand, I have a Sig Suhkoi that the cowl wont crack because it weighs just over a pound...the price on performance that I will be happy to live with.

R
Old 04-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Maudib has some plastic wrap that will stiffen up the oil pan..When I put it on it made a significant difference..

Got 5 more flights on my "lardy-arse" 17 1/2 lb Yak today! Just gets better and better..Finally got to see it in sunlight! Dam crappy weather!! [:'(]

the Brillelli is running excellent with the Vess 23A..Mine doesn't show any thrust problems but I checked my incidences anyway and they are all at zero. Got my throttle curve just about dialed in..next is to get my KE mix set up but it doesn't seem to need much..

Name:	Fd92260.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	669354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16096.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	669355  
Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

I have eight total flights on my Yak and can't stop grinning. Bad***** Words can't describe how good it flys. Can't wait to get it broken in. DA 50 with stock muffler on the Biela 22/8 turning 7200 on the ground.

Love the full power knife edge passes at 15ft the length of the field. Smooooooooooooooooth.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 PM
thomasf
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys, what is your CG at when climbing inverted?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I took mine to the field today, did not fly it, 17mph winds when I finally got it ready.

I took the 87, 88 and 47 to the field, flew the 87, 47 ealy and never got to the 88". I had to run a DA-50R that had not been run since last year, I replaced the reeds, and gaskets, it needed some final adjustment, and a shake down run and range check.

A-OK for 7:30am tomorrow morning.

But, I said before I would NOT weigh this plane, I did not want it to be something that I obsessed over.

I went ahead nayway, 'cus the 87" was sitting right next to it.

87" Original Yak...15lbs 7oz dry.

88" Yak-54 ....15lbs 14.5 oz. Yup, that is NOT a Typo. 15lbs 14.5oz.

I will videotape it tomorrow, we were in disblief. And double checked the scale.

Stock gear, heavy axles.....

15lb 14.5 oz.

John, if I put that gear on this plane it float away like a balloon.

Note to Chris:

Thank you for the contest balsa ,and the finest craftmanship anywhere in the hobby, this is unreal.

If you build it lite ,pay attention to detail, leave off the pretties, I real rocketship can be had , just like the Original.

I don't think I will be able to sleep tonite waiting for maiden. I just couldn't do it , even at twilight, there was a crowd, annoying people talking to to me, taking me out of the game. Our field is a ZOO at prime time.

I want to enjoy it alone , with my spotter, and a camera. The first one is for me and my close buds alone.

My craked canopy was not even noticed by the ooher's and ahher's..but it is a stick in my craw....

I simply do not have ANY EF planes without a cracked canopy....it is like a tradition with me or something.

Look for whirling, tumbling like top waterfalls, spinning like a whirling dervish....I can't wait.....

Name:	Fd91378.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	669535  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.