Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Comp-Arf Extra 260 2.6m Q's/Build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Comp-Arf Extra 260 2.6m Q's/Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
smarks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Comp-Arf Extra 260 2.6m Q's/Build

Thanks guys. I will definately use dual horns if I use ball links.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 PM
WinginIt
My Feedback: (17)

Hey Smarks and apj04,
Are you in the process of building yours or waiting on delivery? You are going to love this bird. It flies like a foamy and screeches like an Eagle.
Doug
Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 PM
smarks

Doug - I am waiting on delivery and am really excited as this is my first compy. Is it true you will never go back to wood once you go composite? I contemplated going with an all white one but decided on the Kiwi. I thought it would be cool to have a unique paint job like what you have done, but decided against it. What does a paint job like that cost these days? Did it add much overall weight? So she flies like a foamy at 27lbs. 5ozs? I am up at 5500' and it would be great to get similar results with the DA100. I hope to get it under your weight, but we'll see.

Smarks
Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 AM
WinginIt

ORIGINAL: smarks

Doug - I am waiting on delivery and am really excited as this is my first compy. Is it true you will never go back to wood once you go composite? I contemplated going with an all white one but decided on the Kiwi. I thought it would be cool to have a unique paint job like what you have done, but decided against it. What does a paint job like that cost these days? Did it add much overall weight? So she flies like a foamy at 27lbs. 5ozs? I am up at 5500' and it would be great to get similar results with the DA100. I hope to get it under your weight, but we'll see.

Smarks
The paint didn't add much weight at all. He only did one coat of clear coat on the painted part of the plane and the clear coat is where the weight comes in. Here you can get a paint job like mine for around $300.
We were first told that these planes should come in at around 24 to 26 lbs but I haven't talked to anyone with one at that weight yet. We had ours professionally built with weight in mind and it would be hard for me to believe you could get one much lighter. I will be very interested in your AUW when you are done.
Keep us informed on your progress.
Doug
Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Smarks,

New thread watcher joining in here.

I'm really interested in what your AUW comes in at as well. My Kiwi is in the next container so it should be here sometime around the end of the month, but I probably won't be starting on in for a few months. I'm about 4500' ASL and really thought hard about the 300SX due to the weight difference, but the mid wing and color scheme on the yellow Kiwi 260 was a bigger draw.

Doug,

Thanks for all your input from me as well. While there are a few Comp-Arfs around here, this will be my first one as well...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 AM
smarks

Thanks for the info Doug. That's a good deal for the paint. Maybe the next one I will do that. I pretty much agree with you on the weight. It sounds like you did everything to get'er light as possible. I did read a thread on FG from chrisbchips who said he and another guy got their's in at about 25lbs. But those both had DA85s in them. So with a DA100 being a little under 1 1/2 lbs heavier, high 26, 27 lbs is realistic. I though about the DA85 piped, but just not sure at my elevation. I'll keep ya updated on progress, but like Zeeb, won't be starting on it for a little bit. Gotta get all the bucks for the accessories! []

Zeeb - Glad to hear another first time compy out there. We'll have to share info along the way.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 AM
apj04

It is also my first comp and i cant wait, at the end of the month i will be able to get the big da100 spinny thing for the front. After that im all done, i hope to maden on the 13th of dec as this is when i break up for x-max (3 hole weeks off work....yes) all other work on the plane is done. Many thanks for your help guys.

Alan
Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 AM
WinginIt

ORIGINAL: apj04

It is also my first comp and i cant wait, at the end of the month i will be able to get the big da100 spinny thing for the front. After that im all done, i hope to maden on the 13th of dec as this is when i break up for x-max (3 hole weeks off work....yes) all other work on the plane is done. Many thanks for your help guys.

Alan
Do you have any pics you could share Alan?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
apj04

nothing realy to show as i have mine in the kiwi sceme, i do have a nice bella prop with yellow tips to match the plane.

Alan
Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 PM
apj04

Guys i now have the da-100 and am hoping to be getting her up in the air between x-mas and the new year. Just one quick question?
I have talked to 2 dealers now and thay have both told me not to get 20mm stand offs and just pack it out washers, what do you guys this of this???

Alan
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Zeeb

Well I've been looking a bit as I'll get my DA ordered after the first of the year and I've been told about the washers vs. the standoffs.

Either will work so for me it's a matter of esthetics.

I think the anodized SWB standoff/mount will just look really nice with the other red stuff on the DA-100 and considering how much money will be going into this thing anyway, I guess I'm just vain enough to want that look...

I'll probably be using their self adjusting rudder dual servo mount and servo arms as well.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:31 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: apj04

Guys i now have the da-100 and am hoping to be getting her up in the air between x-mas and the new year. Just one quick question?
I have talked to 2 dealers now and thay have both told me not to get 20mm stand offs and just pack it out washers, what do you guys this of this???

Alan
The standoffs will weigh less and look better, not to mention the ease of installation.

I ordered mine from Horizon they are for the Evolution motors you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:35 PM
WinginIt

Any of them will work but I went with the SWB DA-100 mount and the self adjusting rudder servo tray like Zeeb says he is going with. He's right, there is no reason to go "cheap" after all the money you put into a comp arf [sm=75_75.gif]
Old 12-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Zeeb

Okay, I'm getting ready to order the DA-100 and some other stuff and I've got a question about the SWB mount and thrust angles.

The manual says 2 1/2 to 3 degrees of right thrust and 1/2 degree of up thrust, so the question is how did you guys set that (I know the SWB has some built in but I'm not sure how much) and any experience reports on what angles you wound up with after flight trimming would be appreciated.

I hope everyone's having a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2007, 05:01 PM
tranker
My Feedback: (1)

I used the 100cc Aluminum Motor Mount 2-1/2° as is without any problems.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:01 PM
WinginIt

Yeah.... The SWB 100cc mount is the way to go. Has the correct offset built in. Mount and fly
Old 12-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Zeeb

Hmm...

I was thinking I'd read that the offset on the SWB was 2 1/2 degrees right and thought that would be a good starting place. Neither of you wound up putting any up thrust on the engine like the manual recommends that 1/2 degree up?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 AM
C140 Brothers

hi guys, me and my bro got a pair of these for xmas on order, both custom, one orange kiwi one red kiwi just wondering how does the 3w 106b2 go in it??? anyone with one please comment and if you can get some pics of your install n stuff that'd be great,

thanks,
Adam and Kane
Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Zeeb

I've only seen one pic of a 106 install and it was on a 300SX with cans. I'm guessing it's pretty much the same as this model.

I did find some input on "another" forum about the 3W since I was looking at the 106CS as well. The gentleman who responded to my question indicated that the 106 was on the long side to get mounted and the prop sat some distance from the cowl. Now I can't confirm that with other sources, but having never used 3W and seeing posts about ignition difficulties/cooling, some QA issues, them being really touchy to setup and the idea that the engine is too long, pushed me over the edge. Perhaps one might check engine dimensions from the various manufacturer's websites?

Then there are some possible difficulties with CS over here that you probably wouldn't have to deal with, but that consideration was important to me.

So....

Mine's gonna get a DA-100.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
WinginIt

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Hmm...

I was thinking I'd read that the offset on the SWB was 2 1/2 degrees right and thought that would be a good starting place. Neither of you wound up putting any up thrust on the engine like the manual recommends that 1/2 degree up?
We did put the upthrust in. I forget how many spacers were used to reach the correct distance to the cowl though. I can check on that when I go back out to my "Hanger" and will try to take a pic for you.
Doug
Old 12-29-2007, 08:38 PM
WinginIt

ORIGINAL: WinginIt

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Hmm...

We did put the upthrust in. I forget how many spacers were used to reach the correct distance to the cowl though. I can check on that when I go back out to my "Hanger" and will try to take a pic for you.
Doug
Correction..... we did not put the upthrust in. The SWB mount and a 1/2" of spacers and 1 flat washer is all we used to reach the correct distance..
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 AM
drewbags

Anyone know of the difference in flying charateristics of the 260 2.6m to the 300SX 2.6m? I am planning to get either one for my first composite and 100cc plane, but not sure if there is any major difference between these two?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Any of you guys having the same issue as I am???
Engine is pretty new ( as is the plane) Maybe 8 flights. Factory setting on the needles so a little rich. Still awesome power.
Problem is that when I roll to inverted or knife edge I get a massive mixture change ( Rich ) I used to suffer this back in the day when I ran Zenohas. Used to have to solder a pipe from the Diaphragm inlet on the carb so it could breath from inside the fuselage. This is the first time I have had a DA do it ( I have owned a few ) and was wondering if anyone else had it and how they got round the issue.
Regards Al
Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
pgrose110
My Feedback: (25)

I have both with DA 100s on cans turning 28X10 Mejzliks. They were built light and I am using carbon fiber wing tubes and spinners. Both are terrific flying birds. The 300SX is much lighter and therefore has greater pull on the up lines. This is not to say that the 260 is inadequate; it will keep going with the nose pointed up. For IMAC style flying I prefer the 260 because it seems too lock-in better on the maneuvers. Although I am not a 3D flyer my suspicion is that the 300SX will excel in this arena. I am extremely happy with both kits.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:31 PM
WinginIt

ORIGINAL: Ali

Any of you guys having the same issue as I am???
Engine is pretty new ( as is the plane) Maybe 8 flights. Factory setting on the needles so a little rich. Still awesome power.
Problem is that when I roll to inverted or knife edge I get a massive mixture change ( Rich ) I used to suffer this back in the day when I ran Zenohas. Used to have to solder a pipe from the Diaphragm inlet on the carb so it could breath from inside the fuselage. This is the first time I have had a DA do it ( I have owned a few ) and was wondering if anyone else had it and how they got round the issue.
Regards Al
My buddy had a similar problem this past summer so he put one of DA's "carb plates" on it and that fixed it. First, though, I would email or call DA and see what they say. They are very good at helping with things like that.
Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.