Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 AM
bradleyban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Nice Job Andy it looks good.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

Thanx brad. Are you gonna maiden yours this weekend? Let us know how the 36 flies it looks. like a winner,sounds good too.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 AM
jmalone1982
My Feedback: (1)

Did RCGUYShave an older version of this? I picked one up recently and It has the right side door and 98in wingspan, covered in a cloth on the wings. Anyone got a clue?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
bradleyban

Maiden won't happen this week-end. I had to wait for a couple of things from from the hobby shop. All I really have to do now is permantly mount my reciever get the wing strut ends plugged with wood and put the windows in. The Fg has alot of pull and grunt. I have no doubt its going to work very well.

Cloth on the wings?? Mine has Oracote or monocote. As far as the door and the wingspan, thats what it supposed to be

Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 PM
bradleyban

Anyone got some good ideas for installing my side windows?? I want to be able to remove them if I need access to the inside.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
FlymoreRC

I have big hands, but found that by making the top panel and windshield removable, I can fit my hand, wrist, and part of my forearm down the fuze body. I used some 256 button screws with blind nuts to hold the top panel in place.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 AM
bradleyban

Thanks. I have made my top window removeable like you said with blind nuts and button head bolts. I think I'm just going to glue them in sound like you can get at most of the stuff from the top.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jmalone1982

Did RCGUYS have an older version of this? I picked one up recently and It has the right side door and 98in wingspan, covered in a cloth on the wings. Anyone got a clue?
Yes they did. This is the first I have heard of one having cloth covering on the wings.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 AM
rcnutstoo

Flymore, How does the ZDZ40 work? what prop are you using? I'm thinking about a ZDZ or a Brison, for mine. Did anyone else have tiny hinges on the tailfeathers? I replaced them with Robarts, and used Gorilla glue. Works pretty slick.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 AM
FlymoreRC

RCNutsToo;

The ZDZ40 gives plenty of power. I first used a 20x10 prop, but had trouble with landing speed not bleeding off fast enough - she's a floater. Plus, ground clearance was troublesome. I switched to an 18x10 and this helped. The ZDZ now uses a wrap around pitts muffler.

Then I caught the left landing gear on a safety fence rail and removed the left landing gear strut - ouch. Via the rebuild, I repaired the landing gear mounting plate such that I now bolt the gear from beneath the fuse. I lost the strut to a beaver pond when it finally fell off, so I used a one piece gear strut that gave me 2 inches more heigth.

To fly now, I use an 20x8 pro zinger, but will use a ZOAR 20x8 next time I buy a prop. I like ZOAR & VESS props.

And yes, the rudder hinges did not hold up well, and were swapped out for larger robarts.

Also, re-did the cabin door hinges to use smallpiano hinges, plus a way to remove the door with just two #2 button screws. I can supply details & photos if any one wants to see how I did it. Also put a brass plate to reduce wear on the wood where the little pin goes in the fuse wall to hold the door shut.

This bird is pretty rugged, and with smoke,she's a real crowd pleaser.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 AM
rcnutstoo

Cool, I gave up Zingers a couple years ago for Xoar. I would like to try the Vess props,maybe for this one.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
bradleyban

There may just be a maiden tommorrow!!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone come up with a way to secure the wing struts to the fus. without having to use a nut and bolt which could come off in flight or eventually get worn out from constantly being put on and taken off? I was thinking of using a clevis and cotter pin if I could find the right size. I'm slowly getting to the end of the build. Still waiting on the engine. I think the only step that didnt give me any issues was putting the wing tube on. The wing struts didnt have holes drilled in them where they are suppose to join. All holes in the landing gear had to be redrilled and tapped. I had two different heads snap off the kit supplied screws while installing the tail wheel bracket. Maybe I just got a (Friday afternoon kit). I do have to look into getting a replacement windhshield however. One side of it is warped. I can still put it on but it wont sit flush against the frame. After having all these issues it still however looks pretty damn good on the bench (minus the constant wrinkles). I hope its going to be a blast once in the air.
Stangevil29
Old 05-31-2010, 05:25 PM
FlymoreRC

For the wing attachments at the fuse, I use HAN4563 25% J-3 Cub Wing strut pins w/keepers, which at last check was $9.99 from Horizon Hobby. I used a thin slice of fuel tubing to create compression on the pin.
If you are real careful, you can use a heat gun to help unwarp the windshield. I have done this with other windshields that a a warp.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 PM
bradleyban

Sorry Guys I havn't maidened mine yet. I had to wait for a prop that i had expected to come in last friday and didn't get it until today.

Just a little question for you guys if anyone has an answer. Xoar claims there props don't need balancing but I just recieved an 18 x 8 PJM and it seems that the center hub is very heavy on one side like i mean very heavy (prop falls towards it very quickly). Im using a top flight magnetic balancer and im wondering if the balancer is no good or if the hole through the prop is even center to the prop. I've tried 180ing the mandrel through the prop and get the same results. I don't really want to have to add lead to the dang thing (not that i would).
Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 PM
FlymoreRC

I too have found some XOAR props thatindicate an off balance hub when on the balancer. I give the light side of the hub a bit of sanding to rough up the surface, andapply clear silicon on it until the hub gets a better balance result. I fly some planes without a spinner and have never lost the silicon.

Someday, I'll have to contact XOAR to see what gives.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 AM
bradleyban

I contacted them about the 20 x 8 I have and all they said was nope it doesn't need to be balanced and that was it. I'm thinking of making a video of the prop and sending it to them. Kinda ticks me off when so many people are happy with them and then i get two bad ones in a row??
Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
roknHS

I've got 20 and 22 inch Zoar props I'm using...........all have lead in the hubs. I haven't found one of their props that didn't need balancing yet..........

If they tell you balancing isn't required, they don't know what they're talking about.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 PM
rcnutstoo

Hey guy's finally got an engine for the Decathlon ZDZ-40RE Also got some more done in the cabin and tail feathers installed. Done with Robart hinges and Gorilla glue
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bz77350.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1447354   Click image for larger version

Name:	vt58450.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1447355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28934.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	1447356  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:55 PM
bradleyban

My Decathlon made its first flight today. It was a good day to do it, not many people were around. I ran it up and down the runway a couple of times just to get a bit of a feel for it with no intensions of taking off and then I said the heck with it and opened up the throttle. It didn't take much for it to lift off the ground. I climbed up to a good altitude and trimmed it out and made a few circut and then the engine started to cough a little. First landing was a little bouncy. This plane really likes to float!! Brought it back in and made a few adjustment to the engine. Tokk off again and only made half a circut and the motor quit!! I was in a really good position to safly land back at the feild with my nerves shaken. Ran it up again and adjusted a little more. this time i had it and i made a couple of circuts and one low pass. It flew very well for me and I can't wait to get back out to the feild to try it out again.

One thing to keep in mind guys that i noticed is that it really needs to be a slow landing. It FLOATS like crazy!!

I will have some pics on sunday evening. I had nobody to take any pics for me this afternoon.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:15 PM
rcnutstoo

Thats awesome, glad it went well. I'm getting pretty excited about mine too, It's starting to come together now. I should have it ready in a couple weeks.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:23 PM
bradleyban

Hey guys I havn't had a good flight with the SD yet my engine keeps acting up. It runs up good on the ground but as soon as i have it air born it wants to quit. I have played with the mixture and I think that my problem is else where. I think my fuel lines are too small and it's starving the motor. I also have a du bro quick fueler in the line to the carburator. Maybe thats whats resricting it?? The fuel line is 1/8" which I thought would be sufficient but maybe not?

The motor is the Saito FG-36

Any suggestions??

Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 PM
rcnutstoo

Try getting rid of the fueler. Put in a T and a fuel dot. Make sure you are running slightly rich. I think the line I use is 3/32 Tygon, but I usually use a Du-bro gas conversion kit with a large pick up tube. And a Walbro filter inside the tank. Hope this helps
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 AM
bradleyban

Sounds like my set-up is too small. I've heard good things about them fuel dots. I'm going to redo all my gas tank with 3/32 and move my fueler to the third hole on the gas tank and have a straight line to the carburator
Old 06-11-2010, 03:36 PM
rcnutstoo

Flymorerc, I was wondering if you have pics of you're ZDZ install?. I marked off the centerline from the amended pics on the thread It looks too high to me  the needles on the carb look like they are going to stick through the top of the cowl. I'm trying to line things up before I drill holes in the firewall. Also do you have the rear exhaust? Any info you can give will be much appreciated. Thanx. Does anyone else think the instructions lack dimensions and other important facts? most every thing else has gone together well compared to some of the rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.