Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 PM
trs3243

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

you people stur me up. flew 2 weeks ago on first flite on my new mt35 and it went dead. floated in for a good landing, 14.7 lbs could have made another shot if needed.piston and cyl scored. mailed to Valley View for repairs and mods with reeds.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM
trs3243

this is the first servo i have mounted on firewall or mtr box. it was easy to mount and hook up. have seen others mounted on fire wall before. it works fine. Terry
Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 PM
trs3243

I mounted a mt 35 on my sd.It dead sticked on two flights.engine has scored piston and cyl.Jody at Valley Vied Rc ask aboyt inlet air.I think it was fine. has any one had air circulation issues with small gas power?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bl53789.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1464406  
Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 AM
rcnutstoo
My Feedback: (13)

I have a ZDZ40re on mine the cyl is right in front of the hole in the lower scoop.do you have a larger exit hole at the bottom rear of the cowl? the cooling air needs to come in the front, pass over the cylinder and exit the rear.
rule of thumb is 3 time the size of the entrance area. Running lean will also cause it to overheat.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
zdsh13

I finally got some time to complete my Decathlon, here is a video of the OS FF-240 running on the airframe. The video is not the greatest... well as good as my iphone 3GS could make it Next time I'll remember to rotate the camera to landscape position.. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO4pCJezPJU
Old 07-07-2010, 07:00 PM
pedrocca

NICE!
This engine was made to this airplane!
I really want to see this beauty in the air..

I'm counting the days for my trip to Canada and bring the Decath to Brasil!

2 questions:
What is the glow driver you're using for this engine?
Is it possible to put smoke with this setup?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
bradleyban

Dave that is freaking sweet. I wish I could have found one of them motors. I love the sound of that thing. Sounds like you have it tuned in to the tee!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 PM
bradleyban

Ummmm guys??? I hear crickets......... Hows everybodys SD's doing?? I've almost got mine running properly, just havn't had time to get out and play with it.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
rcnutstoo

Have a couple gallons of gas through mine. It flies great I'm lovin' it. I just finished installing a tow release for towing gliders

Name:	lj21776.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1482815  
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

I'm still waiting on the Y-DA 38 I pre-ordered. As soon as I finally get it, it shouldnt take me long to finish it all up. I usually would be in a frenzy and having fits about it taking so long but, its still in the 100's by 11:00 a.m. here. Alot of guys still go out and fly all day. I'm just miserable standing out there in the pilot box tap dancing to keep my feet from burning up on the asphalt. I do enjoy sitting in the shade, watching and (hydrating).
Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
rcnutstoo

Speaking of YD-A I was waiting for the release of the 38 too. But I had far less patience than you, so I bolted a ZDZ-40RE on. I bought it pre-owned, the guy said it had never been flown. It had some run time on it, he said a couple tanks. That sounds about right. The plug was black upon inspection.
So what ever fuel was run through was at a rich mixture. I found out why when I started running it. It will not pump fuel to start unless the low speed needle is set at 2-1/2 turns and the high at 2.
It runs at this setting, but slightly rich mostly at lower throttle settings which is the norm for the Decathlon 1/2 throttle produces a nice cruise speed. So it keeps gas fouling the plugs,,It was missing the prop shaft, and ZDZ rep tells me I can put on a new carb, that will cure my problem.Now here is the kicker. When I called to order a new prop shaft and get some spare plugs, he told me the shaft is nla and the plug are on two week b.o. the new carb is on hold and not available either. So now I have one of the worlds (BEST) engines, and cannot get parts. [:@] not even a spark plug.
Now I 'm just waiting for the YD-A. I found a lawnmower shop that carries a similar plug that works. but my cowl mounting screw holes will probably be worn out by the time I can get a 38[]
I only have a couple gallons of gas to go for the break-in, so I'm hopeful it will get better after I switch mixture. and lean it up some. There is still the possibility it wont pump fuel at a leaner setting without the new carb.
Anyone want to buy a ZDZ?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
stangevil29

I here you. When the release date got pushed back again, I imediately started looking for other choices for power. My CC# got hacked and I had to cancel my order for the 38. I have a 1/4 scale waco that could still use the 38 when I finally got it but, I wanted to at least get this plane done. I was going to order a ZDZ40 also but they havent had them in stock for the past several months at least the website site didnt so they had any. THe DLE 30 was looking awful tempting as well. I told Henry that I still wanted one of the 38 so, I just decided to ride it out. With the season getting close I however am getting a little nervous. These things better be right up there with sliced bread. Especially in my neck of the woods anything other than DA's( they are made 15 minutes from my house) have really got to shine in order to make an impression.
Stangevil29
Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 PM
bradleyban

ORIGINAL: rcnutstoo

Speaking of Y-DA I was waiting for the release of the 38 too. But I had far less patience than you, so I bolted a ZDZ-40RE on. I bought it pre-owned, the guy said it had never been flown. It had some run time on it, he said a couple tanks. That sounds about right. The plug was black upon inspection.
So what ever fuel was run through was at a rich mixture. I found out why when I started running it. It will not pump fuel to start unless the low speed needle is set at 2-1/2 turns and the high at 2.
It runs at this setting, but slightly rich mostly at lower throttle settings which is the norm for the Decathlon 1/2 throttle produces a nice cruise speed. So it keeps gas fouling the plugs,,It was missing the prop shaft, and ZDZ rep tells me I can put on a new carb, that will cure my problem.Now here is the kicker. When I called to order a new prop shaft and get some spare plugs, he told me the shaft is nla and the plug are on two week b.o. the new carb is on hold and not available either. So now I have one of the worlds (BEST) engines, and cannot get parts. [:@] not even a spark plug.
Now I 'm just waiting for the Y-DA. I found a lawnmower shop that carries a similar plug that works. but my cowl mounting screw holes will probably be worn out by the time I can get a 38[]
I only have a couple gallons of gas to go for the break-in, so I'm hopeful it will get better after I switch mixture. and lean it up some. There is still the possibility it wont pump fuel at a leaner setting without the new carb.
Anyone want to buy a ZDZ?

Andy sounds like your pop off valve in the carburator is too weak. Its an easy fix if you know how to take your carb apart an put it back together. All you have to do is increase the spring pressure to lean the motor out a bit. It is the tiny spring that sets the needle for the pop off valve.

Here is a link to the FG-36 topic an there are some pictures there. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...36/key_/tm.htm. I know its not the ZDZ but the most walbro carbs are pretty much all the same.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:38 AM
rcnutstoo

I got thinking about it after i posted that rant, and decided to have another look at the carb. When I got the engine it reeked of stale fuel. So I put a kit in the barb and cleaned it out. I then set the metering lever with my trusty Walrbo gauge. and put it back on, set the needle to ZDZ specs and proceeded to finish the break in. So today I set the metering lever back the way it was when I got it. And wouldn't you know it, I was able to set the needles like a normal engine. starting at 1-1/2 turns and fine tuning from there. It now runs very good and starts and stays running using ZDZ's 5-5-1 starting technique. It just goes to show you, even after being in the lawn & garden industry for 25 years I still don't know Jack. I guess that's why I do garage doors now. I left the John Deere dealer 10 years ago to make more money in construction, to feed my RC addiction. Tomorrow I'm meeting some glider jockey's at the field and I'm gonna learn how to aerotow gliders.

PS still waiting for YD-A 38
Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 PM
rcnutstoo

This morning I took N98SD out to the field with the engine running like it should. I met up with some sailplane pilots and put the Decathlon into service as a glider tug. The flights went well, the plane handled aerotow superbly. And the ZDZ performed flawlessly towing a 12' span glider to altitude at half throttle. We were all amazed at how well the whole event transpired. This was my first aerotowing experience but the glider pilots had been towed before, and said I will make a fine tug pilot, and said what a good plane I had to tow with.
Props to RC-Guy's for a great design, the more I fly it the more I love it. Aerotowing just adds to it's list of awesome capabilities. I hope all of you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. It truly is a good value.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love one of those Decathlons but freighting them over here is completely cost prohibitive!

ORIGINAL: stangevil29
I have a 1/4 scale waco that could still use the 38 when I finally got it but, I wanted to at least get this plane done. I was going to order a ZDZ40 also but they havent had them in stock for the past several months at least the website site didnt so they had any.
I also have the 1/4 Waco waiting in a box but I have decided to bolt in an MVVS35cc
Having seen my 80cc in action and the power it generates, I think the 35cc would be perfect!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
bradleyban

ORIGINAL: apalsson

I'd love one of those Decathlons but freighting them over here is completely cost prohibitive!

ORIGINAL: stangevil29
I have a 1/4 scale waco that could still use the 38 when I finally got it but, I wanted to at least get this plane done. I was going to order a ZDZ40 also but they havent had them in stock for the past several months at least the website site didnt so they had any.
I also have the 1/4 Waco waiting in a box but I have decided to bolt in an MVVS35cc
Having seen my 80cc in action and the power it generates, I think the 35cc would be perfect!

You should give Dan Spears a call at RC guys. He is very helpful. The planes are built in china so maybe you could swing a deal with him for getting one sent south instead of east or west whatever way they come.

I lucked out and I only live 4 hours away from the rc guys headquarters. My inlaws live just past him so when I was down visiting I told Dan I would be there on a Sunday and he told me that he would meet me there for a pick up. Dan is a good guy.

Thanks Dan!!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 PM
trs3243

Found out from JODY AT VALLEY VIEW RC the reed valve came loose and no cyl damage noticed. thanks JODY. Had noticed cracks in covering at fuse joint and vertical stab,removed covering to finde loose glue joints at this point .installed small wood block under stringers and re glued same. yoy may want to look for this condition.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:22 AM
DamonR

I used the stock hardware for the tail wires.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsVCq7LpZoQ[/youtube]
Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 PM
DamonR

We're having the first substantial rain of the summer, so I had a break today from flying to build.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtzm1FHTJ7c[/youtube]
Old 08-29-2010, 05:59 AM
DamonR

The Saito FG-36 is a real smoth running engine, it starts easily and runs very well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l_vrIx3nTg[/youtube]
Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 AM
bradleyban

Nice Damom Wish mine was running that good......lol
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 AM
rcnutstoo

Had a covering issue with mine the other day was able to bring it in without further damage.
Just as a precaution keep an eye on the seems of the leading edge,that's where mine came off first and peeled off the rest of the way.

Name:	zx71376.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1491964   Click image for larger version

Name:	pm35015.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1491965  
Old 08-29-2010, 05:46 PM
bradleyban

Wow you got it back like that!!?? Congrats!! I finally got mine flying good today. My windshiel is severly crack now and all my stars and pinstriping are coming off. I think I'm going to recover this plane in the winter. It's too bad considering I just started flying it this summer. Same with you hey Andy? Mono Cote here I come.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 PM
rcnutstoo

I used Ultracote to recover just the top of the wing. True red it matches real good.
I've used MonoKote in the past. I like Ultracote better I dont use MonoKote any more, too many bad rolls. they had some problems for a while, don't know if they have it sorted out or not. I would ask LHS to order it in if that's what you use. I recommend Ultracote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.