RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   RC Guys Super Decathlon coming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/5085039-rc-guys-super-decathlon-coming.html)

bradleyban 04-09-2012 05:29 PM

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Igot some pics to load up.

Dan if your watching this thread you can use these pics on your website.....hint hint

Brian Smith 04-09-2012 07:16 PM

Thanks. I have the BH L4 and I just started checking out mounting my engine and like to know if I'm going to run into something. So far it looks as good or better than any ARF I have ever seen. Brian

ORIGINAL: joebob

There is a thread on the plane over on the giants site that talks about it. I don't know if it has been fixed or not. Apparently the placement of the servo interferes with the struts somewhat. I don't remember, but it might just be if you want to fold the struts up for storage. The guy that identified the problem simply moved the horn location in the aileron over and flipped the servo around. Definitely not a huge deal. The only reason I mentioned it was that I had been doing so much reading and really didn't remember which planes had which problems.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that there are major problems with the BH planes. As far as I know, they're top notch. I think the quality probably is a cut above the RC Guys. They're really in a different class.

joebob 04-12-2012 02:20 PM

Well, I'm not going to make this weekend. Ordered the engine and prop from WrongwayRC on Sunday night. WW was great and got both sent out Monday via Priority mail, but he had to use separate boxes. The prop got here yesterday, but the engine is still not here. Got a note saying they tried to deliver today but no one was home. Don't know why they didn't just leave it on the poarch like they always do. Anyway, I have to wait til tomorrow for redelivery and there's no way to get the engine mounted and cowl fitted before Saturday. Plus, I screwed up and drilled out my spinner and prop too large. It was my fault, but I have an excuse. I ordered a GP precision metric prop reamer from Tower that said it had 3 step sizes: 7, 8, and 10mm. Since the shaft size of the JC30 is 10mm, I just chucked the reamer in the drill press and reamed everything out to the largest size. Didn't realize until I tried to fit the prop on my drill guide that the hole was way too big. Apparently, they substituted a newer reamer with *4* step sizes, of 7,8,10,and 12mm. So now I'm having to find a bushing that will fit the shaft and prop hole. Had a guy offer to make me one so I'm going that route for now.

It's always something.

joebob 04-23-2012 09:28 AM

Finally got everything mounted and ready to go. The JC-30 was a little bit of a chore to install, not because it was too big, but too small! The standoff-prop hub distance on this engine is only about 5.5", so I had to find some 1" extensions for the standoffs to get the hub out far enough to clear the cowl. I decided to use the stock muffler since it looked like it would fit neatly inside the cowl with only the exhaust tube sticking out the bottom. After cutting the hole for the tube I realized that the muffler also hit the front of the cowl, so I had to carve out a clearance hole for it, too. [:o] Oh well, it still doesn't look bad.

Got out Friday and tried to run the engine. Took FOREVER to get it to draw fuel. But I expected that as it is common with a dry carb. Finally shot some gas in the carb and got it to start pumping, but still couldn't get it to pop. After about 30 minutes of flipping, checking spark, resetting needles, shooting gas in the carb, checking for flooding, etc, I gave up and used a starter on it. Got it cranked and adjusted the needles so it would stay running and I could hand start it. Top end was around 7500 with the JC 18x8 and idle around 1700. Not too bad. So now the only thing left to do is make sure everything is Loctited, remount the door (don't ask how it got knocked off), and she will be ready for maiden. Shooting for ths weekend.

joebob 04-28-2012 10:05 AM

Maiden day!

Perfect weather for a maiden. No wind, no clouds, temps in the high 70s-low 80s Had a little trouble with assembly due to me not knowing the best sequence. I realized that the left wing should go on first because it is much easier to reach the wing bolts that way! The JC-30 didn't want to fire right off, but with the help of a starter it roared to life. Running very nice. Subsequent starts were accomplished easily by hand. It was idling at 1600 and top end hit 7800 cold. With all preflight checks done, nothing left to do but fly. She tracked straight down the runway and lifted off in just a few feet. The JC-30 pulls it perfect. However, something wasn't right.

She required a LOT of left aileron and left rudder to fly level. Not sure what the problem is yet. I didn't put an incidence meter on it before flying, but it sure seems like there's a twist in the wings. I will check it tonight when I get the chance. I suspect the struts are misaligned pulling the wings out of whack.

Roll rate was SLOW to me, but it may be because I've been flying 3D birds for the last 7 years. I dialed them up as much as I could and it helped a little, but was still pretty slow. Elevator, however, had plenty of authority. And I can tell I will need to practice mor ewith coordinated rudder turns or add some aileron-rudder mix.

All in all, I'm fairly satisfied with it, as long as I can get the trim straightened out. Flew a total of three times and brought it back in the same number of pieces I started with, so that's good!

bradleyban 04-28-2012 10:41 AM

Congrats Joe!

Mine had a bit of bank one way to the first time I flew. I just trimmed it out and thats it. Your probly finding the roll rate slow because of flying 3d planes. I know the manual calls for some aileron differential but I took mine out. The full scale Decathlon doesn't use any differential so I said the heck with it and it rolls pretty nice now.

joebob 04-28-2012 11:09 AM

If it was just a few clicks I wouldn't worry about it but the ailerons and ruddder are almost 1/4" off center, so something is amiss. Just tried my incidence meter but it isn't wide enough to fit the wing so I'm going to have to borrow one or get a longer bar.

I tried the differential, also, but didn't like it either. It seemed to roll better without it.

orthobird 06-04-2012 02:56 PM

hi
anyone think the da 60 cc gas engine is too much for this bird?<br type="_moz"/>

bradleyban 06-04-2012 03:06 PM

WAYTOOMUCH.....LOL Ithink a 40cc is a big engine for this plane. There is a couple guys using DA-50's and DLE-55's in them. is get unlimited vertical with them. Ithink the DA-60 would rattle it to death.

ORIGINAL: orthobird

hi
anyone think the da 60 cc gas engine is too much for this bird?<br type="_moz" />

outacontrol41 06-04-2012 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: bradleyban

WAY TOO MUCH.....LOL I think a 40cc is a big engine for this plane. There is a couple guys using DA-50's and DLE-55's in them. is get unlimited vertical with them. I think the DA-60 would rattle it to death.

hi
anyone think the da 60 cc gas engine is too much for this bird?<br type=''_moz'' />

I agree. I've got a DLE 55 in mine but I would definately not go bigger at all...I'm at my limit. Ideally a G38 would work great.

orthobird 06-04-2012 05:55 PM

ouch,

oops

i ordered the plane and the engine
should arrive this week.

well, it will be interesting to see what happens.

i compared to dle 55.

DLE 55 weighs 1550 grams
DA 60 weighs 1517 grams

DLE 55 HPis 5.5
Da 60 HPis 6.0

the mounting area for DA 60 is slightly smaller than for the dle 55

quite comparable i believe.

the reason i went big is because the last sup decath i had, the dynaflite, had a 4 cycle fg 36 saito, and the plane weighed in at 19 pounds or so, and it was way underpowered. i know this bird is slightly bigger than the dynaflite.

i guess will keep you al posted on how it turns out.

bradleyban 06-04-2012 06:00 PM

Ithink this plane is considerably lightly than the Dynaflight. Ifly mine with an FG-36 and it has lots of power. No 3Dmachine but it will pull straight vertical for at least 500 feet before it semi hangs on the prop and starts slowy falling back down. Lots of wing on this plane

If your going DA-60 Istrongly recomend a 3 blade prop for it. Idon't think you will have much clearance for a two blade. Them 60's swing a big prop

ouch,

oops

i ordered the plane and the engine
should arrive this week.

well, it will be interesting to see what happens.

i compared to dle 55.

DLE 55 weighs 1550 grams
DA 60 weighs 1517 grams

DLE 55 HPis 5.5
Da 60 HPis 6.0

the mounting area for DA 60 is slightly smaller than for the dle 55

quite comparable i believe.

the reason i went big is because the last sup decath i had, the dynaflite, had a 4 cycle fg 36 saito, and the plane weighed in at 19 pounds or so, and it was way underpowered. i know this bird is slightly bigger than the dynaflite.

i guess will keep you al posted on how it turns out.

chuckggg 06-11-2012 05:41 AM

Thanks for all the good information on the Decathlon.

I am one of those people waiting for the new order to ship 6/15 or 6/18. Packaging problem not RC Guys problem.

I am going to take a different route as I live in an apartment right now and gas is out.

I purchased the Hobbyking G160 motor.I have run it on a test stand and it wants to pull the stand apart. The power is unbelievable. I an a G46 from them in a Decathlon 40, think I like the plane. The G160 will run on 2 5000mah 5 cells in a series. I ran run it with a 19/12 and a 20/8. I am getting allmost 2750 watts of power out of it. Will give the DlE 30 a run .

When guys like you do the great job you did spelling out a few things that need to be watched or repaired it makes the job for us coming after you much easier.

I have one question on the Doculam covering if I spelled it right, I can over find it in rolls of over 500 feet. Is there any other source where we can get a role like our cover material size?

Again than you all for the good info.

I will post pictures of my electric as I start to build it and will update on any improvements or changes RC Guys has made.

I just think it is one heck of a plane for the money.

orthobird 06-15-2012 02:35 AM

engine and plane arrived, pics to follow on build.
has anyone installed the rudder servo in rear near to tail?

Brian Smith 06-15-2012 02:58 AM

Watching.......... :D. I may want one. :D Brian

engine and plane arrived, pics to follow on build.
has anyone installed the rudder servo in rear near to tail?

sdossett 06-15-2012 03:22 AM

I had to throw as much weight as possible forward.
Left mine in standard position.
Good luck.

orthobird 06-17-2012 03:17 AM

hi
how much does your engine weigh
or
what engine are you using on it.

my engine weighs 3 pounds
this does not include electronic ignition, battery, and muffler though?

quickdraw 06-20-2012 01:21 PM

Looking for prop selection help. Just ordered one from Dan. I will be using Saito 220 on it. Fun flyer is what I am mainly. Loops rolls and basics. I usually run W series APC 2 blade props or 3 blade style props on my Saito 100 on my U Can Do. Would like some recommendations on props needed in both 2 and 3 blade if possible for the Decathlon. Elevation is around 2800 feet normally but air density does change. Anywhere from 1800 up to 4200 corrected altitude with weather.

Thanks for the help

bradleyban 06-20-2012 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: quickdraw

Looking for prop selection help. Just ordered one from Dan. I will be using Saito 220 on it. Fun flyer is what I am mainly. Loops rolls and basics. I usually run W series APC 2 blade props or 3 blade style props on my Saito 100 on my U Can Do. Would like some recommendations on props needed in both 2 and 3 blade if possible for the Decathlon. Elevation is around 2800 feet normally but air density does change. Anywhere from 1800 up to 4200 corrected altitude with weather.

Thanks for the help

Im using a Xoar carbon 18 x 8 on my FG-36. Your 220 is the same motor but glow. Ibelieve the glow is slightly more powerfull. Should be able to use a 19 x 8 - 20 x 8 no problem. The xoar carbon have a very light load and spool up quick

PoloPolo 06-24-2012 05:50 PM

Did you use a Pitts style muffler or the stock muffler that comes with the DLE55?</p>

orthobird 06-29-2012 02:35 PM

airplane is almost finished.

it has a da 60 cc engine
Jr tansmitter
Jr receiver
rototank 24 ounces

weighs 17 pounds and 1 ounce

3 blade prop 21 x 10 biella

just turned engine on
got 6300 rpm with throttle WO

measured 25 pounds of thrust.

any thoughts?
will it fly consistent, or will it be wild??

should i fly at only 1/2 throttle??<br type="_moz" />

bradleyban 06-29-2012 03:00 PM

airplane is almost finished.

it has a da 60 cc engine
Jr tansmitter
Jr receiver
rototank 24 ounces

weighs 17 pounds and 1 ounce

3 blade prop 21 x 10 biella

just turned engine on
got 6300 rpm with throttle WO

measured 25 pounds of thrust.

any thoughts?
will it fly consistent, or will it be wild??

should i fly at only 1/2 throttle??<br type="_moz" />
Ithink she will be wild at wide open but hey you don't have to fly wide open all thge time right. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Try to get a video of that thing flying Iwanna see it go with a 60 on ithttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

orthobird 06-29-2012 03:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9woNl...p;feature=plcp

orthobird 06-29-2012 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

orthobird 06-29-2012 07:49 PM

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">does the airplane have to fly with the wing struts?</div>