RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft - General (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/)
-   -   RC Guys Super Decathlon coming (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/giant-scale-aircraft-general-467/5085039-rc-guys-super-decathlon-coming.html)

stangevil29 02-05-2011 08:19 AM

RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

1 Attachment(s)
I am using the stock muffler and put a teflon extension on it. It is working just fine for now.

bkyrdflyer 02-05-2011 12:47 PM

Stangevil, thanks. I think I will rig mine the same as yours for now.

tflyrc 03-21-2011 02:26 PM

I just maidened mine this past weekend. DLE30 and I used a J-Tec Pitts muffler. You have to notch out the fuse at the bottom to clear the twin exausts. Looks good thought.

stangevil29 03-22-2011 05:21 AM

Congrats on the maiden. I hope yours went as smoothly as mine did. I havent gotten to fly a whole lot lately but, the DLE30 pulls it around with gobs of power and barely has a gallon through it. I'm running a 19x8 Xoar at around 7400 rpm.

tflyrc 03-22-2011 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have not tac'ed my DLE30. I am running a Biela 18x8 and can tell you that it is already not enough prop. I need to load up the top end a little more, but since it's new I am going to stick w/ this until the engine is off dinasour oil. BTW, I was surprized to hear about the drift to the left on takeoff. Mine did the same thing....but I assumed it was the wind as it was blowing pretty hard for the maiden. Enclosed is a quick pic of the engine/ign/muff.

bradleyban 03-22-2011 03:04 PM

The left drift can be easily fixed buy a nice scale take-off. Don't go wide open right off the bat. Roll out the take off and slowly go to full throttle once in the air. It's probily just a thrust angle thing.

maukaonyx 04-26-2011 09:42 PM

Fellas, I love the looks of this plane, and its size. I am thinking of getting it and a DLE-30. I am reading here that guys using the DLE-30 think the power is adequate. I like to fly pattern and IMAC style, so can the guys with the DLE-30 on this plane tell me if the plane will hold prolonged knife edge easily, will it slow roll without struggling to stay on a string, and what is vertical like? Will the plane eventually stop climbing or can vertical be maintained with appropriate elevator and rudder control? Thanks for your help. Jon

bradleyban 04-27-2011 12:45 AM

I'm using a Saito FG-36 which I think is pretty comparable to the DLE-30. I think if i set up my CG better I could hold a pretty descent knife edge. I havn't tried major aerobatics with this plane other than hammerheads and loops rolls cuban 8's. I have tried to torque roll this plane to see what the engine power was all about and I had it standing in one spot for a couple of seconds before it started to fall back down. I would say the power to weight ratio on mine is at least 1:1.

I know that you would need to do quite a bit of tunning and tweaking on this plane before you could do any IMAC with it.

Hope this helps ya out a little bit

Brad

maukaonyx 04-27-2011 07:02 AM

Thanks for your response, Brad. Sounds like I could use a little more power then, but I really don't want to go all the way to a DLE-55. Maybe someone with the DLE-30 will respond. Thanks again. Jon

bradleyban 04-27-2011 07:14 AM

I know one guy in here used a ZDZ-40. I never saw a video of it but i think a 40cc would work very well on this plane

trs3243 04-27-2011 11:41 AM

I have this plane with a MT35 engine. it spins a XOAR 20/8 prop well.some pull out to vertical but not unlemited. 15 lbs auw with fuel.

tflyrc 04-27-2011 03:03 PM

Mine will knife edge loop w/ the DLE30. In part do to a lot of rudder but the engine is still breaking in. It has good verticle but it is not unlimited. Have not yet put the larger prop on it...which "should" help vertical...my guess is it will be a slow verticle. This engine will not set you up like an IMAC plane that has a 2x1 HP/Wt ratio. Overall it is a great combination. Engine also has really great throttle response throught the range....was quite surprized at how well it actually runs.

trs3243 04-27-2011 04:10 PM

the mt 35 is ok for me ,casual flying with limited vertical. a strong 45 would be ok i think my friend runs a dle 55 on his ROCKET.OVER KILL"

tflyrc 04-27-2011 04:32 PM

I agree. That is mostly how I am flying mine. No issues w/ a strong 45.

maukaonyx 04-27-2011 05:01 PM

Thank you , fellas. I have a DL-50 and DLE-55 in planes now and am very satisfied with them, thus I am inclined to go with the DLE-30. If you can KE loop, the DLE-30 is good for me. Jon

rcnutstoo 04-29-2011 01:51 PM

I have a ZDZ40re on mine with a Bisson muffler. I have a 20x8w APC prop. I get all the vertical I would ever need.Knife edge slides with plenty power to climb out. I also tow gliders with it. I am very happy with the performance from the ZDZ, plenty power but not too much! If you page back you will find pics. Maybe I can get some video posted this summer..

Devil_Inside 05-02-2011 12:03 PM

I am thinking about getting the RC Guys Decathlon myself and I am planning on using a DLE30 on it, however I would like to get a better feel of what kind of performance I can expect with that engine. I am also planning to install a smoke system and I am afraid that the extra weight might be too much for the DLE30 to handle. I am not looking for 3D performance, however I would like to have a little bit extra power to keep me out of trouble if I do something stupid
The plan for the smoke system is to keep everything else as light as possible to offset as much of the weight possible. I am planning on using two 1100mAh A123 batteries to power the receiver, smoke pump and the ignition through an IBEF. I am also planning on using two 11oz Fiji bottles for fuel and smoke oil.

My other concern is with the covering. I was under the impression that this has been addressed in the latest production kits, but I saw some fairly recent posts on this subject, which leads me to believe this is still an issue. When I called RC Guys today they assured me that this is no longer an issue, but I wanted to make sure.

stangevil29 05-02-2011 04:29 PM

I have been flying mine with the DLE-30 on a 19x8 xoar for a couple of months now. It has plenty of power for anything I have put it through. I havent tried to hover it, mostly because I havent seen or heard of to many full scale Super Decathlon's doing so. There is plenty of room for a smoke system if you wanted it. Mine is right around 15 lbs. I didnt have to add any weight for balance. The covering on mine is pretty bad. I have gotten really tired of ironing it back down after every flying day. I'm not talking about just bubbles and such. Just about every star and blue trim strip has come up. I have finally given up and just taped them down. It still looks like a beautiful plane from a few feet away. This last weekend on the second flight of the day both of the blue trim stripes that run the length of the top of wings peeled up and it looked like I had streamers attached to the plane. I just landed and completely taped them down and said F&^% it. It is however a great flying plane. The tail wheel springs are the only piece of the hardware I used that came with it. To be fair however, I very rarely use any kit supplied hardware with any plane I have built. The only part of the build that I didnt rethink or change was putting in the wing tube.:eek: With that being said, yes I would probably by another one if I lost it. It just really is that fun of a plane for me.

maukaonyx 05-02-2011 06:28 PM

Stangevil29, real glad you posted about your DLE-30 experience with this plane. That makes two of you who think the engine is enough for this plane. I don't intend to hover either, so I think I would be plenty satisfied with the combo. Looking forward to getting them soon, with my birthday coming up this month. And there are enough posts about the covering so that I am forewarned. Thanks. Jon

bradleyban 05-03-2011 12:44 AM

Best bet for the covering is to use some clear Ultra Cote on the leading edges of the wings. If you have any issue with strips and stars coming off then just get ahold of Dan at RC guys he should hook you up with some new ones. He has the stars and strips made up at his shop and they are the tack on style. No iron needed and they will not come off.

Devil_Inside 05-03-2011 05:36 AM

Thank you for the info, guys! It looks like the DLE30 is a good match for this plane, which is great because I really didn't want to buy another engine. With that said, the only thing that is preventing me from buying it is the covering issue. It is not the end of the world, but when spending close to $500 on a plane I expect it to last a long time.

maukaonyx 05-03-2011 08:12 AM

I here what you say, but I am not too concerned about the covering. I haven't got one yet, but am serious about it. I would buy clear Ultracote like suggested by others, and also use CA in critical pointy spots here and there. If stars fall off, I would not mind much as they don't thrill me greatly. I'd look at it as opportunity to do some different things to make it my own. The good looks and flyability and SIZE outweigh the minor stuff. That's my thinking on getting one. :) Jon

trs3243 05-03-2011 12:57 PM

You are correct. this plane has issues for sure . all arfs do .when you get over a few small issues this plane in W I N N E R.

mblackwell1002 06-26-2011 02:27 PM

I just finished building my RCG Super Decathlon and I have a couple of tips for those with complaints/worries about the covering and struts. First, the covering - there is a product called Seal it pen that can be used to seal all of the edges of the covering so that thre is never a problem with the covering coming up. Seal it pen is a paint marker filled with automotive clear coat that is made for edge sealing vinyl graphics. You can get it here http://www.aerographix.biz/seal_it_pen.htm or look around - I found it locally for less than $10 per pen. Also, as others have already pointed out, Dan will help you out if your stars/stripes start to peel up.

Second, the struts. I have built a couple of hangar 9 planes with struts and I really like their strut attachment setup. I ordered a set of pawnee struts from horizon HAN4035 . With this kit you will get enough brackets/pins/struts to retrofit your Super D with folding/quick release struts. The pawnee struts are cut down and JB weld and rivited into the origional struts. The hangar 9 brackets will also have to be modified to accpt the 6-32 bolt in the wing. The end result is a plane that requires no tools to assemble at the feld!

If there is any interest I could try to get some pictures of the modified struts.

-Matt

cyoung450 12-19-2011 05:31 AM

I would like to see pictures of what you did with the struts. I just ordered one of these and I have a DLE 30 for it, but after reading I think I am going to put the 55 on it, because I want to run smoke. Can anyone give me some feedback that has a DLE-30 and smoke? I want to do aerobatics with this plane and not struggle...

Any feedback is appreciated. Sounds like the covering is crap.[&o]