Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Tucano Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
jmohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tucano Conversion

Got a Tucano for Christmas and have it all together but need some advice on motors. The plane weighs 9.5 lbs. (that's everything) and has a high wing loading at 33 oz/sq-ft. I have a Power 60 that puts out just under 1200 watts. I am concerned this may not be enough for a good flying plane. It should get off the ground, but may not have enough power for very much else. I have a larger Hellcat with the same setup and it flys fine but it has a lower wing loading at 29 oz/sq-ft.

Here's the setup:

E-flight Power 60
Castle 85HV ESC
Ultra BEC w/ 1320 LiPo flight pack
Thunder Power 6S 5000 mah pack
Master air 16-10 3-blade prop
Old 01-03-2008, 10:56 AM
jmohn

Default RE: Tucano Conversion

Ok, did some more testing last night and got up to 1400 watts using the same setup but with a 16-12 prop. I think this will be enough to fly well. I won't be able to go full throttle very long, but at least I have that extra 200 watts if I need it. The motor is only rated for 1200 watts, but I pushed it a little and should be fine it I only use it for a short burst.

Maiden flight this weekend if the weather holds.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:43 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Which Tucano did you get (KMP ?). I have on old ARF Tucano made by Amando Models (out of business). I converted it to electric and at 7.5 lbs (AUW) she has a wing loading of 32.7 oz/sq ft. There is no slow flight for this bird - nearly lost it while slowing down to conserve power.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:52 PM
andremelo

Hello

I need your help. I have purchased this tucano model by Phoenix Model.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXRLR6&P=K
As you can see, Tucano has a very beatiful design and it is a brazilian air force trainer plane.

Originally, Tucano model is suggested to be glow powered .46. But I am considerating a eletric conversion . For this, I took Great Planes Cherokee GP/EP ARF 60" and Revolver 40 Low Wing Sport EP/GP ARF/Motor/ESC Combo as a baseline.

In order to implement electic conversion I intend to purchase this great planes components:

Great Planes Rimfire 42-50-800 Out-Runner Brussless motor
Great Planes Silver Series 60A Brushless ESC High Volt
Great Planes Brushless Motor Mount Medium Motors

Propeller
APC 10x5 Thin Electric Propeller or
APC 11x7 Thin Electric Propeller

Battery Lipo
FlightPower LiPo 18.5V 4270mAh Evo Lite 5S Balance (weight 487g)

My doubt concerns on center of gravity adjustment. I am afraid this adjustment be more difficult or impossible due to weight of eletric components ( specially battery weight). I intend purchased the Great Planes C. G. Machine too.

Some questions:

1 )In order save money, could you verify if I could have any risk of insuccess in this conversion due to exceed weight or impossibility of center of gravity adjustment? The battery pack fits on fuel tank place.

2)With the FlightPower LiPo 18.5V 4270mAh Evo Lite 5S Balance and above motor configuration how long time of flight I could get?

3) some ideas about other motors ans electric components by other manufacturer

I thank very much for any help you can do.

Andre Melo
Brazil
Old 11-03-2008, 07:26 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The motor you have is kinda too hot, 800KV for 5S for that motor is really not worth it unless you want speed. I used a motor of that size before on a 40 sized plane with 5S EVO25 4,900 pack and it was a 680KV, turning a 12x10 like nuts but pulling a lot of amps when WOT, 60+A. Was fast but a waste if you want to fly scale/sport. Maybe the same set up with a 12x8 would be better for the system.

I tested the same set up with a lower KV motor of 566KV and it was just right. Tha is in my Hyperion Super Chipmunk 70 now. Try something in the 570KV range with a 14x7-14x10 perhaps but you may not have enough ground clearance for the prop. If you want go for the DualSky 4260-6 (566KV) and you will enjoy her for scale flying with a good upline performance. The DualSky motors are cheap and reliable, the ESCs are great too, they work fine. Get the 60A one as it comes with a built in switching UBEC.

With the packs you want to get I think CG is no issue. Also for batts, you can try the Hobby City Zippy Rhino packs, not tried them but seen them in action, they can hold up and its really cheap.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
copter5

Hi all,

I have the Tucano by Phoenix Models and I believe that I've finally found the most economical and reliable and most powerful propulsion system for this airplane. I've put an Evolution 10cc gasoline engine in the Phoenix Model 40 size Tucano. I am running a 13x6 three blade Master Airscrew-very scale. It has excellent vertical and excellent top speed. The airplane flies like a post-jet warbird should. The spark plug wire is totally enclosed in the cowling. There is plenty of room. If I would take the time and order a Bison Pitts Upright Muffler and channel the exhaust through the scale openings, that would be fantastic. I get 20 minutes of flight time out of a stock 12 ounce fuel tank and for $200 from Horizon Hobby, you get all of the fuel tubing, spark plugs, and fuel filter for this installation. For $485, just under $500, a modeler can have a Phoenix Model Tucano T-27, Evolution 10cc gasoline engine, six servos (if you choose to have retracts), and the receiver of your choice and fly for pennies on the dollar, all day long, at your local flight field. Just keep an eye on your transmitter and receiver pack batteries and you forgo the long, long lipo charge time and the messy nitro oil splatter everywhere. Catch the flight review at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aHGMr_F3yE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54998.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1854458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85925.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1854459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12130.jpg
Views:	27