Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Crockpot antifreeze cleaning recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Crockpot antifreeze cleaning recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 08:44 AM
GlowKC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crockpot antifreeze cleaning recommendations

Just a quick question for you experts. My car uses decks cool for general motors and I keep some of that on the shelf usually will that work in the crockpot to clean engines? Or do I need to buy normal antifreeze

Old 12-06-2021, 07:27 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

You want the undiluted antifreeze, not the ready to use coolant.

The following users liked this post:
Steelhead13 (12-20-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 10:54 AM
GlowKC

Will Dex cool work as well. I run GM cars.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:05 AM
1967brutus

Doesn't matter what you run. Coolant is not antifreeze. It is about the straight undiluted antifreeze.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:26 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always heard the old type is what to use, undiluted, and I have used that. It is green, not the Dexcool Chevy stuff. Not the new OAT or HOAT stuff for sure. I don't use it any more though, just the Dawn or Dollar Tree concentrated LA Totally Awesome stuff. I think the heat from the crock pot is not worth the trouble except on carboned up mufflers.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:28 PM
1967brutus

I still use it for engines that have been messed up by Castor residue, but it is a job for the patient...

I use an old deepfryer, with temperature control.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:24 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Green or universal yellow antifreeze, undiluted, and LOW LOW LOW LOW heat!!!!!!!! Dexcool is garbage.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:59 AM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
and LOW LOW LOW LOW heat!!!!!!!!
Buy the cheapest low-tech deepfryer. They usually have excellent temperature control down to 70 deg C (158F)
Old 12-14-2021, 05:52 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
I always heard the old type is what to use, undiluted, and I have used that. It is green, not the Dexcool Chevy stuff. Not the new OAT or HOAT stuff for sure. I don't use it any more though, just the Dawn or Dollar Tree concentrated LA Totally Awesome stuff. I think the heat from the crock pot is not worth the trouble except on carboned up mufflers.
Yes, quite correct. The Dexcool is a totally different animal and quite ineffective.

The Ethylene Glycol, greenish-yellow Prestone type is the stuff to use.

The Totally Awesome comes in to flavors as well. Use the original yellowish stuff, DO NOT use the newer, orangey stuff.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:09 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
Yes, quite correct. The Dexcool is a totally different animal and quite ineffective.

The Ethylene Glycol, greenish-yellow Prestone type is the stuff to use.

The Totally Awesome comes in two flavors as well. Use the original yellowish stuff, DO NOT use the newer, orangey stuff.

I have always used Totally awesome in a heated ultrasonic cleaner, not a crockpot.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:04 AM
GlowKC

Ended up following ALL your advice, bought the Preston concentrate and the totally awesome. Both are great. Used the totally Awesome cleaner in my ultrasonic for some super fast and through cleaning. Crockpot takes hours. The Totally Awesome cleaner lifted the blue paint off my high compression button head from the Evo 46NX in seconds. It looks good though as it had a few chips.