Everything Radial Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Godflesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

ORIGINAL: Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Here is a site in Holland. The guy makes a very good engine: http://www.brownbearmotors.nl/?page=engines
In fact...are these for sale??? ....or is this a ''neat guy look what I can build'' site???

yup, they were (are?) for sale. last time I spoke to the owner he mentioned requiring at least a yr to produce the 50cc. This was sometime back, but I'm sure he still makes them.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 AM
wheels

How are you going to tackle glow power Wulf?

My first thought was lipo but after searching online a fair bit all I could find was a system distributed by Nelson Hobbies and for a couple reasons I didn't want to go that route.

That left me with NiMh or NiCad, I ordered Ebay NiMh cells and they had approximately 1/4 of their advertised capacity so I got my money back for them, then I tried a 7000MaH NiCad from DigiKey .......that turned out to have full capacity but fell on it's face when I started asking for any kind of amperage, in the past ganging large numbers of AA cells to get capacity has resulted in huge self discharge for me so I didn't bother with that.

Back to square one ........ I ordered some 1.5V 5A regulators sold as computer components and wired those up last night with a 1s2p LiFe pack......seems to work and the plugs glow super bright. I ran it for 10 minutes solid and recharged 1300MaH or so into the pack to top it up so I figure I've got enough pack to easily run 30 minutes of glow. We'll see how long these regs survive strapped to a cowled motor, I'm not worried about heat but they may not like vibration very much.

What do the rest of you do when you're running glow systems on multi-cylinder engines? I can't imagine th NiCad pack needed for a 9 cylinder.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: wheels

How are you going to tackle glow power Wulf?

My first thought was lipo but after searching online a fair bit all I could find was a system distributed by Nelson Hobbies and for a couple reasons I didn't want to go that route.

That left me with NiMh or NiCad, I ordered Ebay NiMh cells and they had approximately 1/4 of their advertised capacity so I got my money back for them, then I tried a 7000MaH NiCad from DigiKey .......that turned out to have full capacity but fell on it's face when I started asking for any kind of amperage, in the past ganging large numbers of AA cells to get capacity has resulted in huge self discharge for me so I didn't bother with that.

Back to square one ........ I ordered some 1.5V 5A regulators sold as computer components and wired those up last night with a 1s2p LiFe pack......seems to work and the plugs glow super bright. I ran it for 10 minutes solid and recharged 1300MaH or so into the pack to top it up so I figure I've got enough pack to easily run 30 minutes of glow. We'll see how long these regs survive strapped to a cowled motor, I'm not worried about heat but they may not like vibration very much.

Wheels-I`m using a McDaniels glo system from Sonic-Tronics-They have a number of systems available.I`m using the one made specifically for the Saito 450R and it lites all 6 plugs-I realize that only 3 have to be lit however my system came with the engine so I`m using it.I`m powering the system with a 5000MAh NiCad "D" size cell system-The only reason I`m going with the large heavy cells is to provide counter(got my cells from MIP) -balance weight for the big Saito up front.McDaniels says to use NiCad batteries in their systems.Thats the reason for that! :-)Look up the on-board glo-systems on the Sonic Tronics websiteRead up on their systems and you`ll see why they are so efficient in using power.
Bottom line-Have FUN!

What do the rest of you do when you're running glow systems on multi-cylinder engines? I can't imagine th NiCad pack needed for a 9 cylinder.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM
348SS

Does anyone know if the new Saito 200r3 will be available to US customers. I called Horizon, they have no idea and aren't even sure if they will import in into the US market. I see it becoming available in Europe and Asia. Is there an international source for Saito?
Thanks
ORIGINAL: SJN

nice

SAITO FA-200R3

Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting. I got this pic fromhttp://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.saito-mfg.com/radial-files/fa-200R3/fa-200r3d.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsaito%2Bengines%26start%3D60%26hl%3De n%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3 DN%26pwst%3D1&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhjwiyYF1-Qh5QUFIhKetA4b-kh1vg

The weight is listed as being right at 48 oz. There is no mention of header pipes and the pic shows the engine without any. It is being sold now according to the Saito site. Their gallery of radial engine products does not have it listed yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31772.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1451458  
Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Wulf

Wheels go to the Sonic Tronics website-Look at their onboard glo- systems.McDaniels systems.I`m using the 6 plug model made for the 450R-
Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Saito 200R3 seems to have the same stroke as the older Saito 170R3. But it has the cylinders from the 72/80 single rather than cylinders from the 56 like the 170 has.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! I really like the all silver treatment of the new 200R3.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
wheels

Thanks Wulf, I probably should have gone that route I guess, and if these regs don't last I likely will.

I'm curious about how these work, did you order their custom harness for the 450? got any pictures of it? Does it treat it as a 6cyl. engine and run two wires to each cylinder?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Teus

ORIGINAL: Godflesh

Here is a site in Holland. The guy makes a very good engine: http://www.brownbearmotors.nl/?page=engines
In fact...are these for sale??? ....or is this a ''neat guy look what I can build'' site???

yup, they were (are?) for sale. last time I spoke to the owner he mentioned requiring at least a year to produce the 50cc. This was sometime back, but I'm sure he still makes them.
They are still for sale but in a very limited way. The owner makes only 2 or 3 engines a year at special order. Spoke to him a month ago. These are very fine engines, especially his 4 cil. in line 130cc. Awesome sound I can tell you
Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Wulf

Thanks Wulf, I probably should have gone that route I guess, and if these regs don't last I likely will.

I'm curious about how these work, did you order their custom harness for the 450? got any pictures of it? Does it treat it as a 6cyl. engine and run two wires to each cylinder?
Wheels,
No I have the harness(&setup) that McDaniels make specifically for for the 450R-I just got my engine mounted and just finished up tank installation.Next,I`m going to use a similar setup for the throttle like your setup.I`ll use a manual choke rod rather then a servo.Then I will do the on-board glo-system.I will take some pictures when I get that finished.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Dad_Roman

ORIGINAL: Teus

ORIGINAL: Godflesh

yup, they were (are?) for sale. last time I spoke to the owner he mentioned requiring at least a year to produce the 50cc. This was sometime back, but I'm sure he still makes them.
They are still for sale but in a very limited way. The owner makes only 2 or 3 engines a year at special order. Spoke to him a month ago. These are very fine engines, especially his 4 cil. in line 130cc. Awesome sound I can tell you

WOW.......and guys are fussin about HobbyCity

btw...I emailed him and havent heard anything for a week now.

Thank you gents...I appreciate you trying.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Dad_Roman

.....and as soon as I spoke it he made a liar outta me......good man

Email from Dick at BrownBearMotors.....(I need someone to tell me how much money that is)

Hello Shane,
Thank you for your interest for my engines.
The Penta 54 = € 1600,- and the Penta 85 = € 1900,- all complete incl. glowplugs, backplate, ringexaust, etc. and some Stahlwille spanners.
The shipping to the USA = € 34,20.
Regards,
Dick van der Veldt.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 AM
wheels

According to yahoo finance

1600 euro = 1938.22 US

1900 Euro = 2301.64 US

34.20 Euro = 41.43 US

And don't forget about brokerage etc. I have no idea what that would be.

Doesn't seem very unreasonable for hand-made engines.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Dad_Roman

And then there were 2.....

5319g.....2......Buy 1......$1199.00

So who all here has a Seidel inbound???
Old 06-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Dad_Roman

According to yahoo finance

1600 euro = 1938.22 US

1900 Euro = 2301.64 US

34.20 Euro = 41.43 US

And don't forget about brokerage etc. I have no idea what that would be.

Doesn't seem very unreasonable for hand-made engines.

Thanks for that wheels...dunno what the friggen symbol is.

Glad its Euros.....those will be the same price as a Seidel at HK here soon

Might have to order a 54 for the ole Fleet Bipe
Old 06-16-2010, 12:50 AM
wheels

No Problem

I nearly got my 450/Gee Bee combo test flown today but let's just say there was a lot working against me, tomorrow or thursday.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Wulf

Good Luck Wheels,I`m just installing my on-board glo system.I could be ready next week sometime-maybe :-)Let us know how the Gee Bee flies!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Dad_Roman

How much Mah you guys running on your glow systems?

....and what kind of batts?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 AM
Wulf

I`m using 4.8V pack from MPI- 4D size NiCads 5000MAh-I may go to C size if Ds prove to be too heavy of a counter balancing weight.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
wheels

I'm using a 1s2p A123 pack for 4600mah at 3.2v, I have 3 5Amp linear regulators, one on each line close to the plug taking the voltage down to 1.5v.

The plugs GLOW so there should be no problems with flooding and my testing leads me to believe I have over 30 minutes of glow power available, likely more when the glow is running on a hot engine.

the two things that concern me are glowplug lifespan and regulator lifespan. If the plugs don't last I'll likely switch to 1.3v regs. If the regulators (computer components) can't take the vibration then I'll go with the McDaniels that Wulf is using.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Felix Barrao

This is the system that I´m using in my seidel.
Is an industrial converter from 12 volts to 1,5 V and 30 amps!! . It works perfect.
If you are interested, I have here the steeps to make one. ( In spanish)

http://www.rcmodelistas.es/foro/view...hp?f=19&t=1313

The lipo 3S that I use to power the system only draws 2,9 A.

You can see the numbers when I power the 7 glowplugs on my seidel.

Left: total amps to the glowplugs
Center: Power batery voltage and intensity
Left: Voltage at the glowplug.

Regards.
Félix

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24200.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1454440  
Old 06-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hobby King has some real explaining to do... On tuesday I ordered a Seidel 7-70 and paid for it and actually had one reserved for me to ship. Two days later they cancelled my order. I have purchased $1800.00 from them over the years and this is the treatment I get. I called my credit card company and they honored the order. I would like to know the motivation for hobby kings treatment. -Tom
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Dad_Roman

Yea wow....those last two went quick and now its at -1 again.

Followin the HK thread....mostly jabber about crappy shipping lately.

.....keepin my fingers crossed
Old 06-18-2010, 01:50 AM
wheels

Félix
That looks like a nice set-up I looked and looked for something like that but couldn't find it. I'm probably just not good enough with electronics to actually know what to search for.

At any rate my glow system has survived one flight..... I had some radio programming issues so I was limited to just one 5 minute flight but I can now testify, Saito radials with the Keleo ring sound BAD ASS. I can't believe the difference in sound from the flex mufflers I had on it when it was bench run, I thought it sounded awesome before but WHAT an improvement.

Wulf you'll be glad to hear that the Gee Bee seems to be a very true flyer, and I have a feeling it's going to be my favorite for a while )))))))) First landing was a greaser and I'm not a pilot who shines when it comes to landings. It did seem to want to climb very badly and I wound up putting full down trim into it. However I discovered upon landing that only one half of my elevator was responding to trim changes so I think that things will be different in the next flight. With regards to the down and right thrust angles I can't really say for sure yet, but full throttle didn't seem to display any tendancy to dive so I think it's going to be ok as built...... I'll comment further in PM after a few more flights if you like..... I don't want us to hijack this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.