Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:02 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

The patents on R-12 ran out long ago. R-12 in not illegal to use or own if you are licensed and certified, as I am. It is illegal to manufacture it and import it in most countries.

What was your profession before you became a Saito expert?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:06 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[b]Brian:

R-12 is heavier than air. For a practical experiment, if you can find some, in a closed room position a halide detector on the floor, and another at the ceiling. Release some of the R-12 halfway between the floor and ceiling, in as horizontal a direction as you can.

If the R-12 rose in free air the ceiling mounted detector would show it, but instead it wont make a sound while the one on the floor will go wild.

QED.

This is also why you have to run your leak detector under the system being tested instead of on top.

This one I know a LOT better than you.

Bill.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:06 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

When adding after run into these motors do you just inject into the case bleed?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
William Robison

[b]Brian:

Getting personal, I'm a Yalie, with a major in languages and a minor in education.

I've been an Air Force bomber pilot, a school teacher, and a mechanic, both automotive and aviation.

My qualifications also include HVAC certification as well as NIASE's general mechanic certification which includes a/c systems. And I have my card that lets me buy Freon.

Granted, R-12 is not illegal to possess or use, "Outlawing" was not a true term but the federal taxes that have been imposed have, in effect, outlawed its use. The last 30 pound bottle of R-12 I bought was over $600, while the R-22 was about $40 for the same real value.

Oh yes, one last thing. I did mechanical engineering at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

Bill.

Edited for grammar. wr.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:17 PM
PlaneKrazee

STD,

Yes,

Time will tell who is right.

Bill,

What is your favorite brand of Halogen leak detector and do you know how to make it more sensitive? Or did you use a halide torch from the dinasaur days? I can set one up to read the refrigerant thru the service hoses. 1/4 oz per year be dammed. I have found I can find a leak anywhere and not necessarly by dragging under a pipe or fitting. Don't want to get water into that hose, ay? Heck,

I've seen leaks spray gas two feet away and bounce off another pipe giving false readings.

Hang it up.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:22 PM
PlaneKrazee

[sm=tongue.gif]
Old 09-29-2005, 04:24 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one
Hang it up.
Nose high or tail high?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:24 PM
William Robison

[b]Brian:

I have a $400 TIF unit for hand held use, and a $3500 GE rack unit with a long sniffer hose for the really tiny leaks. It too, will locate the empty Freon bottle across the street.

Bill.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
PlaneKrazee

STG,

Now that is funny.

Ya'll hav funn now, ya here.

Bill,

The GE, Yokagowa H-10 110Volt leak detectors are best for field work. I never liked the Tiff's but they make good scales. Empty bottles across the street? That's a new one. I did not exaggerate.

Do you know how to callibrate a GE/ Yokagowa for best performance, Oh great one.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:43 PM
William Robison

[b]Brian:

I have the complete manual set on the GE unit.

Now let's drop it. This has nothing to do with what we're supposed to be discussing.

Bill.

EDIT> Spelling. wr.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:45 PM
PlaneKrazee

Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 PM
up

I am having a little trouble with a Saito .56. Where can I get some help? This used to be a good thread.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:22 PM
William Robison

[b]Up:

I hope we're back to Saito now.

What problem are you having?

Bill.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:31 PM
up

Thanks Bill. The .56 has broken 2 header pipes. The first one was strait threaded pipe. The second one was the newer type with a couple of bends in it. It broke in the threaded area that screws into the head. Prop, spinner out of balance maybe. The other problem is I get a noticable rpm change by pressing the throttle arm when I try to adjust the low end. I don't remember noticing that on my other engines.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 PM
IronCross

geeze, I have about a dozen cans of R12 I purchased before it became "unavailable".... Sounds like they are gold...
Old 09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I got permission to clean up this thread and for the most part have done so and will continue to keep it on topic whatever it takes.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 PM
smallfly

An oily mess is what I have with my FA80. I run it inverted and it pushes oil out all the seals. The exhaust smoke is bad and it leaves a mess on the ground. After a couple of runs I pull the valve covers and they are filled up with oil. I tried different fuels and leaned it out till it quit so I know its not to rich. I'm thinking its blow-by at the piston ring. Blowing into the crankcase vent I hear and feel air leakage at the main bearing. Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:13 PM
William Robison

[b]Up:

Breaking the standard exhaust on a Saito is all but unheard of.

You must have a hard vibration coming from somewhere. Are you balancing your props? Do you use a spinner, and have you balanced the spinner?

Further, have you landed "Nose First" at any time? You could have bent the crank shaft. If you have, no amount of balancing is going to get rid of the vibration.

I made an earlier post in this thread about the carb and its internal spring, an rpm change pushing on the lever is normal - you lean the mixture by pushing the lever inward.

If you don't find your problem I'll be happy to check it for you, there has to be some cause to get that much vibration.

PM me for the address if you want me to Look at it. If the crank is bent I'll straighten it too.

Bill.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM
William Robison

[b]Smallfly:

A Saito run inverted tends to collect a lot of oil in the rocker boxes, but it sounds like you're getting a lot more than should be expected.

The ring is a possibility, but unless the engine is really high time or you fly in a dusty area I'd look elsewhere. The power would be down too, but that could have come on gradually without your noticing it.

Is the case vent clear? Have -- oops. You said you were blowing into it.

Oil from the original equipment front bearing is normal, it's a shielded bearing that allows the oil to flow through, it is not a sealed bearing.

Are you perhaps running a "Heli" blend fuel? Heli fuels have a LOT more oil than you need with your Saito. If yes, that could be the whole thing. I recommend Omega 15% fuel, it's a synthetic/Castor oil blend. Works fine. Powermaster 15% is another good choice. Both in the "Plane" version please, not Heli.

You're further away than Up, but I'll make you the same offer to check your engine, if you wish.

Hope this has been some help anyway.

Bill.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 PM
up

Thanks for the reply Bill. No nose first landings so I don't think the crank is bent. A prop balancer should arrive next week. The engine has been in a Sig Rascal 40. I put a big GP aluminium spinner on it to match the contour of the nose. I am beginning to think that that is the problem. I'll play with this thing a little more and if I can't get it sorted out I'll holler back. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:55 PM
William Robison

[b]Up:

Try running it without the spinner, see how it does then.

Bill.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:06 AM
up

Thats the plan Bill.Thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 12:14 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real airplanes have 2 wings and radial engines, sorry.... LOL
Old 10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
solafein

Interesting thread. Maybe someone really nice would create a separate section just for Saitos. We probably wouldn't get manufacture's direct support, but I believe that there are enough Saito users around to dedicate a section for them.

I purchased a 91s on September 30th, broke it in and then mounted it on October 1st, and realized that I needed a tachometer when I flew it on the 2nd. 7 minutes on a 12oz. tank. I think that I will continue this slobberingly rich setting for the next gallon, but after that, hover time in a Tiger 60, I can almost do it now.[>:]

Two starts in four runs, it ran backward. Is this a result of the rich setting?[X(]

The case vent......I just have a piece of silicone tubing running from it to the underside of the plane. Is that correct?

I only have one Saito so far, but does that qualify me for membership?

One supertanker docking at Long Beach produces more harmful airborne pollutants than every two-stroke ever ran combined. Nobody is complaining about our oil supply, probably because they have better Litigators.[:-]
Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
William Robison

[b]New ones:

69 Smallfly
70 solafein

Check the complete roster on [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3306814/anchors_3338246/mpage_4/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3338246]page four[/link] of this thread.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.