Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 933 of 1087 FirstFirst ... 4338338839239319329339349359439831033 ... LastLast
Results 23,301 to 23,325 of 27155

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

If toothpaste would damage a crome surface....I sure would like to see that....how about a photo ....from the guy that stated that!!!!!![img][/img]
    The point is that nobody ever said that. Go figure.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmmm.

lol

Never mind. . .

~ Jim ~
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Maybe toothpaste delivered by way of some sort of a power tool. Otherwise, it would take you most of the day and WHOLE LOT of toothpaste. I think the rag or whatever you're applying it with would have just as much in the way of abrasive qualities, if not more.

There's a kind of toothpaste, used by Dental hygienists, called prophy paste. That actually has pumice in it. You could lap a valve with the heavier version of that stuff. That's why you have to rinse out your mouth (or why they rinse it out for you, depends on the dentist), and why you feel little bits of grit afterwards.

But regular toothpaste has not had pumice in it for decades now. Bicarb of soda, stuff like that. Nothing truly abrasive.

And yes, I am an expert witness when it comes to this.

~ Jim ~

You apply the toothpaste to the valve face, insert the valve into the guide & use your fingers to rotate the valve from the outside in a pulling, spinning motion. I does not "grind" or "lap" the valves as much as it cleans/polishes the surfaces thouroughly removing stubborn varnish.

Water cleans up all traces of the toothpaste.

We used to use toothpaste to burnish brass gear cogs in slot cars way back when. You could get the gears meshing so smoothly that they were nearly silent. The noise from the raw gear teeth was energy lost. The quieter gears allowed more power to go to the wheels.

There are still mild abrasives in tooth paste. The harsh abrasives were removed way back in the '60s.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Saito FA 30 4c that has open rocker arms.Trying to find out how old it is . .It looks like it may be one of their first 4c engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Until last year, I spent every day of my adult life (over 35 years) in dental offices.

One thing I know all about are dentifrices. I even know which brands took the longest to stop using the harsh abrasives.

I was one of those Dental Company lifers.

All of that useless info aside, Automotive rubbing and/or polishing compounds are probably the next best thing, assuming that you discovered you're out of the surprisingly cheap stuff called valve lapping compound, and also found that your car is out of gas, so you can't buzz over to the auto store, hardware store, or WalMart.

Most of the time, it's the buildup that needs to be removed from the valve and seats. More of a cleaning than a grinding. If it's been there too long, your car / bike, r/c motor is going to need more than paste.

Of course, there's always blw's revelation that nobody actually said that anyway, so nobody really wants to know.

"A waste of time" might be a fair assessment of this, except that I just got off the phone with the State of Texas. An hour and a half.

Makes one realize that "A waste of time" comes in many sizes, and Texas does everything extra big when it comes to red tape.

~ Jim ~
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sr Telemaster 150,

My brother lives about ten minutes from you, in Potsdam. Nice spot to live.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Until last year, I spent every day of my adult life (over 35 years) in dental offices.

One thing I know all about are dentifrices. I even know which brands took the longest to stop using the harsh abrasives.

I was one of those Dental Company lifers.

All of that useless info aside, Automotive rubbing and/or polishing compounds are probably the next best thing, assuming that you discovered you're out of the surprisingly cheap stuff called valve lapping compound, and also found that your car is out of gas, so you can't buzz over to the auto store, hardware store, or WalMart.

Most of the time, it's the buildup that needs to be removed from the valve and seats. More of a cleaning than a grinding. If it's been there too long, your car / bike, r/c motor is going to need more than paste.

~ Jim ~

I wouldn't want to use valve lapping/grinding compound on a Saito valve seat.

Maybe some white "polishing paste" though.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sr Telemaster 150,

My brother lives about ten minutes from you, in Potsdam. Nice spot to live.

~ Jim ~

Does he fly R/C?

Potsdam is more like 20 minutes away, 18 miles.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't seen any buildup on any Saito seats I ever had. I had a couple of valves lock up during one winter when I forgot to use after-run oil late in the fall.

They weren't frozen, so much as sticky. I put after-run oil in and worked them for a while. I'm sure some scale had developed over the winter. Fortunately, no lasting effects.

Compared to auto and motorcycle heads, the Saitos I work on are always pristine in comparison. I suppose a lot depends upon the conditions under which it was run. Cowled in without a lot of air, running hot for that reason or some other reason. The glows can get buildup from heat, that's for sure.

I'm all but out of the Saito club these days. One .72a, in my little Sig Sundancer Bipe. Powerful for a small 4-stroke!

I've gone to gassers for the rest. But my flying buddies will see to it that I still get to work on plenty of them! Phil brought a radial over the other day to troubleshoot. Once we took that dust cover off the venturi, it ran pretty good!

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, he's a sports nut and does it from his armchair.

He works at the college there.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys,
    I was just spoken to pretty harshly by a Mod over some things I said in here. I've posted less than a half-dozen times in the last day or so, I don't remember insulting anybody, picking any fights, or saying anything derisive about RCU (???) but if anything I said was in any way amiss, I apologize, and did not realize I was being anything other than chatty and conversational.

Unsubscribed.

[8D] ~ Jim ~ [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Rowdyjoe
    Saito 783
    (FA-80, FA-80GK, FA-91S)
    IMAC
    SPA
    AMA
    Ft. Worth Thunderbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day RJ,
    I always prefer Stainless bearings, a lot less rust to worry about, & I know someone will disagree,
    but with a 4 stroke, the revs are a lot less than a 2 stroke, so high performance is not an issue.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
    Good Flyin Mate. Keep Thyne Airspeed up, lest the ground arise & smite thee,
    Allan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rowdyjoe, ...I look at these factors ; 1 - how much am I going to use that engine
    2 - what size model am I going to put it in
    the econo bearings are ok, I have them in several engines, and at the other end of the scale, I dont believe there is anything gained from using the most expensive ones, so it really is a matter of choice
    A.A. Barry
    everyday you wake up is a good day

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys. I went with the stainless bearings. I figure they will outlast me and the plane.

RJ
    Rowdyjoe
    Saito 783
    (FA-80, FA-80GK, FA-91S)
    IMAC
    SPA
    AMA
    Ft. Worth Thunderbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just curious, I haven't heard of anyone ordering from RC Bearings lately. Aren't these FA 80 prices considerably cheaper?

http://www.rcbearings.com/saito-80-bearings/ Ask for Paul

Thanks, Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ernie,
    Wasn't aware of RC Bearings until now. Everyone recommends Boca so, that's where I bought mine.
    Yes, the price does appear to be much cheaper at RC Bearings. Assuming the quality is the same, it's a deal you can't refuse ....about 1/2 price.

RJ
    Rowdyjoe
    Saito 783
    (FA-80, FA-80GK, FA-91S)
    IMAC
    SPA
    AMA
    Ft. Worth Thunderbirds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well keep Paul in mind. He used to be more active here at RCU but is keeping a lower profile now I guess. The bearings should be the same quality, ... hey ask Paul!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Paul is just busy lately, it seems. Uptick in business? I still get promotional emails on a regular basis. Great people there at RCB and the bearings are all from high end, quality MFG's.

I like the SS bearings with the open phenolic cages...no worries on corrosion or pitting to slow them up and plenty of open space for the lube to get everywhere it needs to easily.

Club Saito #770
    "The American taxpayer has always been politicaly deceived. It's their Birthright!"
    Lord Mountjoy, 'The Mouse on the Moon'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys have got me worried,heaps of other folks too i'm bettin.Who says bearing quality beats how carefully you fit them?
    Watch out for the ground eh?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I only have a couple of Saitos, but found them to be superior engines. Some many years ago when they first came out with the .30 with exposed rockers, I bought one and put it in a swizzle stick and used it as a trainer. I ran it on stock 10% fuel which had some castor in it. I ran it many many hours. Finally I fouind the valve stems so worn that they looked like they would break if you touched one. I had to buy a complete head which had the valves etc in it as a unit.
    When I took the engine down, it was clean inside and when I reassembled it with the new head/valves the compression was as new...I could not find any wear in the sleeve or piston....don't know what they used but that baby had many hours of running and still was as tight as new....
    They make one fine and long lasting engine....the best!!!! I have an 80 of theirs in a Bruce Tharp Flyin' King and it pulls it with authority....

Regards to all,
    Frank Schwartz AMA123
    87 years young and still building and flying...........happiness, for sure.....
    Frank Schwartz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You have to fit them carefully no matter what type of bearing you use. Ceramics are especially fussy when it come to installation. I like standard high performance steel bearings myself. I believe SS is softer than normal steels. Just my two cents.
    John
    Have desk ... Will Fly.... Saito Member #467
    Ultimate Brotherhood #11, Ultra Sport Brotherhood #90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Frank, we had a crazy club member who had a red Flying King and the 80 pulled it with stump pulling authority. I saw several dozen imminent crashes saved literally at the last second only by the sheer grunt power of the 80.

I also saw that this Flying King would fly perfectly fine with all of the covering peeled back from the whole fuselage side. Flapping back in the breeze like a streamer. Flight after flight.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What!!![X(], you are 87 and your AMA # is 123? I admire you and wish I will still be flying at that tender age. Keep it up sir.
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stainless is harder but, more brittle than other steel alloys. Iwent with stainless to reduce the chance of corrosion.

Rowdyjoe
    Saito 783
    (FA-80, FA-80GK, FA-91S)
    IMAC
    SPA
    AMA
    Ft. Worth Thunderbirds