Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Prop balancer ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 02:14 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop balancer ?

Which prop balancer would be best to spend my money on ?

L
Old 02-07-2002, 03:15 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Prop balancer ?

I am using the Dubro true spin, it will balance any size prop. If your only going to do small props,(up to 13") the Top Flight power point will work well, bigger props may pull out of the magnets.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Nathan
Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prop balancer ?

I second the Top Flight Power Point. You can really get a well balanced prop using this machine. It can also be used to balance boat props, car wheels and tires, ducted fans, spinners, nose weights and more. It balances up to 24" propellers and any size wheels and tires. Best of all, it's only about $20.00.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:42 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default close the WINDOWS

Third vote for the Top Flite balancer. Mine has worked quite well on props up to 15" in diameter. It is very sensitive - I've even been able to balance the tiny Guenther props that came with my Zagi.

One note - make sure there's no draft around when you're using it. Even breathing hard in its presence will throw your settings off...:rainfro:
Old 02-07-2002, 05:46 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prop balancer

The Top Flight is a good choice. Ditto on the breathing or fan in the workshop. Pete
Old 02-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Prop balancer ?

Top Flite will do bigger and heavier props than 13" for sure. THe instructions tells you now to bring the magnets closer together to handle heavier loads. The little extra drag from touching both magnets is not at all noticeable with bigger props anyway.

The dubro does have one advantage in that it can hang any size prop off the end of the table so you can spin the prop to check for dynamic balance.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:06 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Prop balancer ?

A 13" is the biggest prop I had balanced with the Top Flight, before trying to balance a Byron fan blade, the Byron pulled the shaft off the balancer. The Dubro true spin will balance anything I have tried, up to 24" prop, 6" ducted fan blade so far. Plus the advantage of dynamic balancing. It only cost $8 more than the top flight, reminds me of the old saying, "buy cheap, buy twice". Wish someone had told me this before I bought the $20 Top Flight.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:24 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Prop balancer ?

I wouldn't go so far as to say the TF is not worth having around. For the common prop sizes, it is far more sensitive than the Dubro. As such, TF is a better choice for most sport flyers. Dubro is better in someways but sure doesn't get used as much as the TF in my shop. For most things, static balance is just fine. Dynamic balance is neither easy to see, nor is it easy to correct. It is important for high RPM short&wide things like ducted fan blades and touring car wheels, and not at all critical for long and slender props.

Plus, if you have the bucks to play with ducted fans and/or 24" props, another $20 bucks should be just a drop in the bucket, no?
Old 02-08-2002, 04:00 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default Prop balancer ?

LOL, that's true Volfy. I have a little handheld balancer I use on the smaller props, it has pointed ends like the Top Flight, you hold it between your thumb and forefinger. Using light pressure, it's very accurate.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:10 AM
Aerosplat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little modification never hurts

I use the Top Flite magnetic balancer and love it. However, I now use a fingertip balancer (like Dave described) for the balance shaft instead of the long shaft that came with the Top Flite. I moved the magnets much closer together. I have even balanced 18" APC composite props with this setup.