Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Club Laser?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the Saito spark ignition debacle, the good boffins at "Laser HQ" want to get it right.

I am happy to wait ... I can see a 360V sparkie in my future.

As for "inlines" ... a whole different kettle of fish; and presenting a whole new engineering challenge. I am sure as the only extant producer of V-twin 4 strokes Laser are happy with that for now.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:32 AM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jon is there anywhere to get the Irvine carb O-ring sets? I have a couple of the carbs but the old O-rings are old and leaking.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:51 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Irvine carb O-ring sets?

Available at Wheelspin Models UK. Last two rows on this page.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/c/619/?p=3
Old 04-10-2016, 12:10 AM
Carosel43

hi guys

The petrol engines are still a work in progress. Long story short, the walbro type carbs do not cut the mustard on our engine so we need something else. I have got a design that I have been able to test and initial results are very good. I now have to get more made and just refine the whole thing. I am hopeful that it will solve all of the problems I have had with the petrol engine as it has only ever been carb issues that have caused trouble.

Mechanically the engine will be the same as the glow version but with altered cam timing. This means the conrod will have a bronze bush big end and not a roller bearing. Now, I know this will cause the 'its not a proper petrol, its just a converted glow, it needs loads of oil blah blah' reaction from some but there is a very good reason for using a bush.

We as modellers have a habit of stuffing our propellers into the ground be it in crashes, or more commonly on that slightly dodgy landing or a nose over on takeoff. Those blade strikes impose huge shock loads on the crankpin and its bearing which a bushing can handle but a needle roller cant. At some point that bearing will fail and it will destroy the engine. As for oil, our engine has consumed 2 gallons of fuel at 50:1 and following a strip down and inspection shows no signs of wear or distress.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:28 AM
the pope

Thats good to know , after a strip down I know I show signs of a little bit of distress !! I know the OS GF40 and 30 have bushes in the little end of the rod . Did you take a little naughty peak at what OS did with their carbs , just between me and you ? As for being a dirt doctor speak for yourself , at least Ill have time to start saving for one after I get the frsky horus which must be due any day now , after all its only been about 3 yrs since that was due out . I did get the OS gf30 and 40 but havent run them yet , I couldnt wait for the laser any longer but theres one on my radar .Cheers the pope
Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

You can put me down for one too Jon!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:51 AM
the pope

What a strip down ?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:07 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

No! My remarks were addressed to Jon regarding the Laser Petrol Engine, but if you have an engine you want me to dismantle, please pm me!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Carosel43

I have not had the chance to check out any of the OS petrols but i have tried a saito FG36 carb on our 180. It really did not work very well, i suspect because our fuel requirement was about half that of the saito and the carb couldnt handle that.

I hope my new design will work better and will be less variable in its performance.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:14 AM
LarsL

Hi Jon,

That is interesting to hear that so far with your testing and strip down, everything is looking OK with plain bearings on the crank rod end. Not being wet sump engines, I would have thought you would have needed more oil than 50:1 to keep those bearings lubricated?

Youve always been cautious and thorough with your product releases so I know you will get it right.

Lars
Old 04-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Carosel43

Hi Lars

I started off with 20:1 but it made such an awful mess that i went to 40:1 almost immediately. I ran like this for the best part of 2 gallons of fuel before switching to aspen alkylate fuel with 50:1 oil pre mixed. I have since run 2 gallons of this without any trouble. In fact the innards of the engine are immaculate and the crank pin polished to a shine with no wear apparent even when measured with a mic
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 PM
LarsL

That's great Jon. Again, you have continually show conservative diligence in developing your products, so if you say 50:1 is the right mixture, I know you've done the homework behind that.

Lars
Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fiery
Irvine carb O-ring sets?

Available at Wheelspin Models UK. Last two rows on this page.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/c/619/?p=3

Any other suppliers? I need the X-IRVCJ-SK006 and they are out of stock.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dasquirrelisme
Any other suppliers? I need the X-IRVCJ-SK006 and they are out of stock.

Did you try Just engines? http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...ke_Spares.html
Old 05-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Stoneweapon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a Laser owner again.
Got a NIB Laser 80.
Runs like a dream out of the box.

https://youtu.be/hcYY9uUklEc
Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Carosel43

Looks good but you should change your fuel as 20% castor will ruin the engine over time and make an awful mess. We recommend 10-15% synthetic oil and 5% nitro. Looking at the performance you are getting the extra 5% nitro give you about 100rpm extra power. 10% wont harm the engine, but it will increase its fuel consumption. You can also lean off your slow run needle, it should idle as low as 1800
Old 05-02-2016, 03:38 AM
Stoneweapon

I am sure a stable 1800 idle is possible.
The video shows the first 300ml of the engine.
Usually my engines run well on castor but I am aware of more carbon inside the engine, especially around the exhaust valve. I will change to 15% synthetic after 3-5 tanks in the plane.
Anyway. In case the engine needs some cleaning I will be happy to do that.

Last edited by Stoneweapon; 05-02-2016 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:46 AM
Carosel43

At Laser we do not recommend the use of castor at any point as there is no advantage to it. From the letters on the side I can see that engine is one I made in 2013 and I would have test run it on fully synthetic fuel. During test running I run the engines up to maximum power to check performance. I do not use any special fuel for this as our standard synthetic fuel is all that the engine needs.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

I'm happy to report the Laser 120 has been a joy to run and get ready for the Hurri project.

I put it on a test stand and ran most of a gallon through it. CoolPower 15% with Castor (oops). Mainly since Lasers are rare in these parts and I wanted to play with it and be comfortable before the install.

I also wanted to do some initial prop pulls (at the end of the gallon) to get a handle of what might be possible once broken in. Looks like 15x8 will be the prop of choice. Not as strong as the DLE (16x8) but better noises (no more lawn care sounds) and smells, plus reliability that the DLE had until recently. I didn't want to smell like gas anymore. I ran some numbers and the 14x9x3 maybe worth a test. The disk looks small and I not a fan of MAS so the APC 15x8 may stay.

I put it in the Hurricane and due to the low (inverted engine) carb position my tank bottom is at or a little higher than the tank bottom I put a pressure tap on the muffler to try to keep things as consistent as I can by pressurizing the tank. To avoid siphoning I used a Dubro Quick Fill port and placed it above the top of the tank.... It's not a perfect set up by any means but it's all I could do without spending way too much time on the project. I had a good feel this would work since I had to do the same thing on my Fiat G-55 with a Saito 100iT and it worked well there.

The trick is fueling.... Fill till the vent bleeds and then don't prime the engine before running. Just hit it with a starter to draw fuel and your off. For warbird flying it works.... If you were doing lots of inverted or 3D stuff then the weird tank position might play havoc with things but no issues so far. The Fiat has close to 20 flights on it with the same set up plus testing..... Just don't start a siphon in ground handling and it works ok....

The Laser only needed a VERY tiny tweak to the low speed and it runs and transitions great. Other than than I haven't touch the needles yet. So the Hurri is making cool 4 stroke noises(with Full Synthetic 15% Cool Power) and will be in service soon. I'll post pics or video when I get there.

Joe

BTW: I see some dimensions are on the new site. Thanks. It makes planing a project so much easier. Good to see the info up there.

Last edited by Joespeeder; 05-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:06 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

Just a quick follow up.... I flew the VQ Hurri 3 times last night with the Laser 120 on an APC 15x8 and 15% CoolPower full synthetic. It performed brilliantly !! The Hurri is 10+ lbs and was flown with a H9 Spit running a Saito 100 and a TF P-47 using a Saito FG-17. Once I got the nerves out of the way..... (I've now maidened that Hurri at least 4 different times with different power set ups.... lol) I flew a formation flight with the guys and I was loafing along at just past 1/2 throttle with lots of real throttle left to use. The P-47 and Spit reported they were at about 55-60% throttle. The Spit had about a 1/4 throttle left of real change. The last 1/4 throttle on the Spit just makes more noise with no change in speed. It's not mine so I don't know why or other details. But everyone commented on how fast the Hurri was and how well it ran !! It's not stupid racing fast but it sure flys with authority and your not wanting for power when you need it. Cool. Thanks Carosel43 for your help. It's really enjoyable to fly and I'd recommend it highly for the 10+lb, 63in ws VQ Hurricane.

The high tank position didn't seem to bother the Laser at all. I did tap the exhaust to keep the pressure in the fuel system as consistent as possible.

I will add some pics of the project below. The VQ Hurricane requires lots and lots of reinforcement to the firewall box no matter what power system you put in it. Otherwise the edge of the box is just glued to the firewall by the thickness of the box (about1/16) it will break clean right at that joint if you don't... The rest of the plane is great. But that joint is very very bad. You can see the remnants of all the past power systems, gas stains, painted weathering, and real weathering from use..... Flew this plane through a tree once and tore the wing in half.... You can also see the first steps in rebuilding the cowl where the DLE20 muffler had to protrude. Yuk. I filled the hole with foam shaped and then glassed it with 6oz cloth and 5 minute epoxy fast and solid. I'll get some flying pics/video as the season goes along and post them so you can see the Hurri in action.

I have an intake just below and behind the spinner and good opening behind the engine. I only flew 5+ minute flights last night and will bump that up as I get a feel for fuel usage and may do some more duct work now that I know the Hurri is flying good. When I came down it didn't seem too hot and felt very free but a little attention to cooling never hurts.

I'll also link some raw video taken last night of our last formation flight which was taken from a slow camera plane. He just pointed the plane at us and did a really great job of keeping us in frame. Advance to the 5 minute mark in the video to begin. I was flying my H9 P-47 but this gives you a chance to see a little of us doing our thing. It's raw unedited video so it is what it is.... It was the first chance we really had so far this year to fly together in formation. Fun stuff.

The flying season is just getting going now and the Hurri is finally making cool noises, flying with authority, and very easy to use. It only took 5 years!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDtH1sEebRE&feature=youtu.be Enjoy.

Joe

BTW, The Pilot is Ponsonby Britt, O.B.E.... Jay Wards famous one legged fighter pilot and Executive Producer. lol.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2164165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0108.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2164166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	2164167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2164168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2164169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2164170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	2164171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138.JPG
Views:	582
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	2164172  

Last edited by Joespeeder; 05-25-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Stoneweapon

Here is an update on my Laser 80.
Flying in a low wing trainer.
https://youtu.be/TR77TmvnFGc The power is on par with the OS FS91 Surpass (1st generation) I have.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:59 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Laser 70 in Sig T-Clips

Here are some pictures of my Sig T-Clips with a Laser 70 in the nose.

Sig T-Clips
70 inch wing
50 inch fuse
Weight 8 lbs
Laser 70 with 13~6 APC prop and 15% Cool Power for fuel
It does have an on-board glow driver but I only use it to start the engine so i don't have to put my hand underneath it to take a glow driver off.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	T Clips1.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	2193665   Click image for larger version

Name:	T Clips2.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	2193666   Click image for larger version

Name:	T Clips3.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	2193667   Click image for larger version

Name:	T Clips4.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	2193668   Click image for larger version

Name:	T Clips6.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	2193669   Click image for larger version

Name:	T Clips5.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	2193670  
Old 12-16-2016, 06:16 PM
the pope

Do lasers come with glow plugs . I have 200 twin coming and might need to get some . I think Ive raided all my n.i.b. saitos and OS's . cheers
Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I ordered three engines from Laser earlier in the year and none of them arrived fitted with glow plugs. It's quite a common practice when it comes to model aeroplane engines. If you bought a new car you'd expect it to have spark plugs. On the other hand, if you just bought a new replacement engine for your car, perhaps it would not have spark plugs fitted! I certainly don't know!

According to the pretty comprehensive operating instructions which arrived with the engines, "We use O.S4-stroke and Model Technics F5-7 but experiment with your favourite type first. The Fox Miracle plug and some others do not work with the Laser."
Old 12-16-2016, 10:40 PM
the pope

Hi there Tele ( thanks for that info ) , or anyone else for that matter know of a site where I can download the instruction manual . I know mines coming but I have itchy feet and from my searching I cant find one online . As for the plugs Im sure I have some but will check , OS are the easiest for me to source , as for the fuel do u think getting some Klotz KL200 oil isnt a mission and a 1/2 . Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.