Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 AM
FMBB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Hi Dan,

you are correct these parts of the bulkhead are the noses. As the longerons are still on the building board respect. the fuse is upside down the "noses" have to be placed in the upside down situation on the RH side of the fuse. After the fuse will be removed in its normal upside up position the "noses" will be on the LH side of the fuse to support the cargo door which is correct Anthony is saying. So the "noses" must be on the side where the cargo door is placed and this is definitely on the LH side.

Peter
Brotherhood #170
Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Hi Dan,
I have had a couple people tell me that you need to input a little down elevator as soon as the mains touch and this will stick the front wheels and minimize the bounce. This sounds contrary to landing the average tail dragger but the Waco has so much weight aft of the gear it should be OK. I am going to try this my next time out. I will let you know what I find out works best for me.
The 2nd and 3rd bounce scared the crap out of me The 2nd flight I let a buddy of mine shoot several landings. His best landings were holding it off the runway with the elevator until the plane wouldn't fly anymore and just settled down with a small bounce. His fist attempt was a good bounce just like my landing.

My best landing on the Waco was the maiden after the initial build. I greased it in on the mains and haven't done it since
Later!!
Anthony
Anthony,

Years ago when I was learning to fly a full scale Cub, I had my share of bounces along the runway while trying to do the three point, full stall landing. It wasn't until I learned to hold it off just a bit above the runway while continuing to pull the stick back gradually as it slowed. If I did it right it, the Cub quit flying and dropped a foot or less to the runway when the stick was all the way back. Before I learned to do that, I was flying it onto the ground with a bit too much speed it, and it wanted to bounce and fly more.

The down elevator was something we did with a 'wheel landing'. This was not a full stall landing. We flew it onto the ground level with some power. When the mains touched, we gave it a bit of down elevator to keep the wing incidence zero or maybe a bit negative. It was good for windy, gusty days.

Regards,

Mike Hopkins
Waco # 132
Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter,
Thanks for confirming that I had a 50/50 chance getting it right but as you can see in picture 3 they ended up on the right side of the fuselage.[:@] I’ll make the repairs before continuing.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:03 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Dan,
Your fuse is upside down in the pics correct? If so your the tabs will be on the left when you go top side up. This will be correct. If you are sitting in the cockpit the luggage compartment would be over your left shoulder.

Mike,
Thanks for the tips. I will put a couple flight on next weekend doing nothing but shooting touch-n-go's. I am sure I will get the hang of setting this thing down easy.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
mrdhud

Anthony,
In the pictures the fuselage is in the upright position so they are wrong. I already have then cut out will re glue them tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 PM
WacoNut

Ahhh Ok,

My eyes aren't what they used to be. I have glasses ordered and will be in later this week
Later!!
Anthony
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 AM
mrdhud

Bulkheads 510 & 511 have been turned around and re-glued. Landing gear and struts are temporally installed every thing seems to fit so I can move forward now.

Peter,
Does the landing gear and struts need to be wired and soldered or are they finished as is?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73408.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1886455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51628.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1886456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19156.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1886457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17648.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1886458  
Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 AM
ceije

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Here’s a few shot of the progress so far. I have to make sure I have bulkheads 510 & 511 installed correct before I go any further. The instructions say install both so the noses are positioned at the RH side for installation of cargo door. To save my life I couldn't figure out what the plans were talking about they look the same on both sides to me. Then I did notice one side was different as you can see in the picture. I have both bulkheads installed with the A side on the right side of the fuselage.
Peter is this correct?
Dan, Just saw this post, sorry I should have mentioned it in our conversation, that was one of the points I managed to mess up Peter caught it and corrected me.

Chris, ceije 196
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Jim Henley

Anthony,
I just had the opportunity to look at the video you posted, what a beautiful job you did on the WACO. That thing is stunning in flight!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
FMBB

Hi Dan,

the landing gear as the center struts are silver soldered, so just clean them from residue, no wiring needed. Silver solder is strong enough to cope with the loads even if applied during harder landings.

Peter

Brother #170
Old 05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
mrdhud

ORIGINAL: FMBB

Hi Dan,

the landing gear as the center struts are silver soldered, so just clean them from residue, no wiring needed. Silver solder is strong enough to cope with the loads even if applied during harder landings.

Peter

Brother #170
Thanks Peter
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

Anthony,
I just had the opportunity to look at the video you posted, what a beautiful job you did on the WACO. That thing is stunning in flight!
Thanks Jim,

I know I didn't go to the extreme of fixing all the scale issues with the airframe that some have but I am very happy with it. I was really down on myself after crashing it last year and just flat out lost my confidence in my flying ability. Though I still need to work on my landing technique you can see in the video that the plane is very stable and predictable in flight. I hope to keep it around for a long while.

Later!!
Anthony
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Bob Kinley

I have been told that one of you may be able to help me. I have a Dave Platt Waco YMF 3 kit that I have had for a long time ,it has work done on it but was put away because of my sons death, he was very young but loved to sit beside me while I worked. I wish to finish the model but I cannot find the constuction and flying manual. If any of you know where I can obtain a copy of this booklet it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM
mrdhud

ORIGINAL: Bob Kinley

I have been told that one of you may be able to help me. I have a Dave Platt Waco YMF 3 kit that I have had for a long time ,it has work done on it but was put away because of my sons death, he was very young but loved to sit beside me while I worked. I wish to finish the model but I cannot find the constuction and flying manual. If any of you know where I can obtain a copy of this booklet it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bob, Go here and you can download the manual.

http://mrdhud.wix.com/classicair
Old 05-29-2013, 01:45 AM
WacoNut

Thanks Dan,
I directed him here as I knew someone would be able to help him out.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 05-29-2013, 11:55 AM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Barth 1/3 YMF

I'm third owner of kit. Pretty old, but in good shape except for some balsa strips and sheets mouse eaten in storage. With wings and tail pretty much done, finally getting around to building fuse. Study plans, parts, more study. Well, should have studied even more. At the firewall there are four spruce pieces about 3/8 x 1/2 x ~12 that are epoxied onto the balsa framing pieces that run full length. The cross pieces for the front four or five stations are also spruce and epoxied in place. Earlier I noticed the four spruce pieces running back from the firewall were warped. Nothing else was. So I made a fixture, soaked them well and took most of the warp out. Laid down pretty well on the plan as I built the frame sides. When I stood both frame halves up on the top view, while looking down, I noticed an abrupt pull in at the front for the first three stations. That explains the warp. Should have looked first. As it happens, they still had a bit of curvature, with two of the four correct and two wrong. I'll muscle everything into place, but it makes me feel pretty dumb. Could have been avoided by just setting parts on plan.

Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood # 132
Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 AM
mrdhud

ORIGINAL: hopkimf

Barth 1/3 YMF

I'm third owner of kit. Pretty old, but in good shape except for some balsa strips and sheets mouse eaten in storage. With wings and tail pretty much done, finally getting around to building fuse. Study plans, parts, more study. Well, should have studied even more. At the firewall there are four spruce pieces about 3/8 x 1/2 x ~12 that are epoxied onto the balsa framing pieces that run full length. The cross pieces for the front four or five stations are also spruce and epoxied in place. Earlier I noticed the four spruce pieces running back from the firewall were warped. Nothing else was. So I made a fixture, soaked them well and took most of the warp out. Laid down pretty well on the plan as I built the frame sides. When I stood both frame halves up on the top view, while looking down, I noticed an abrupt pull in at the front for the first three stations. That explains the warp. Should have looked first. As it happens, they still had a bit of curvature, with two of the four correct and two wrong. I'll muscle everything into place, but it makes me feel pretty dumb. Could have been avoided by just setting parts on plan.

Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood # 132
Mike,
I know the feeling quite well I have already made two mistakes that could have been avoided by simply asking about them on this thread. Don’t be afraid to ask any thing here some one will be able to help. Post some pictures as you go we all love pictures.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Bob Kinley

Dan, Thank you so much for your help.I have downloaded the YMF instructions and I look forward to getting back to building. Again thanks, Bob

Old 06-01-2013, 02:33 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

OK, I hope its OK to piggy back on this thread here since I'm a member of the Brotherhood (#174) and its a WACO, even though it is a cabin model. Its my 99%-complete 1/4 scale YKC-S scratch built from modified Charlie Nelson plans. Came in at 31 pounds and is powered by a Seidel 7-cylinder radial. Its modeled after Andy Hines' WACO out in Ohio. Today was the first time its made it out out of the basement for some engine tests, and taxi tests, and photo session after 2+ years in the making. Still need to find a suitable field for the maiden flight as my home club's runway is a little too short for a comfortable maiden flight.

Tony

Name:	Ig11476.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1887621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27423.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1887622  
Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

A couple more.

Name:	Hf99927.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1887623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48307.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1887624  
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM
acerc

What a beautiful plane you have there Tony. Very well done and love the colors.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:44 PM
stevegauth30

I would have to agree with Robert there . A beautiful plane indeed.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:09 AM
WacoNut

Very nice YKC,

I met Andy Hines a couple years ago at the WACO museum, very nice guy. You should send him a few pics of your plane.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 AM
mrdhud

Tony,
Your cabin Waco is beautiful that seidel radial must sound sweet. Hope to see some videos soon.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:50 AM
aminiet

Excellent workmanship, you should get top score. Beautiful model.

Angel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.