Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 AM
skylarkmk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

All,

Anthony has it correct, the center section ribs curve up from the bottom as shown in the pictures he posted. The picture that shows it best is the rear view of his plane. The white w/blue trim plane is NC 14081, a 1997 Waco Classics YMF, Ser # F5-009, the last one made from the original 1935 plans. If you look close at the bottom of the wing over Debbie’s head (Robin is in the back seat), you can see the curve goes up (enlarge the picture to max). The view of the top of the wing shows no downward curve in that area, just the smooth natural flow of the airfoil matching the outer panels. Anthony – Thanks for posting the pictures.

TMAC – I hate to say it after all the effort you have put into your plane (it is great looking) your center section airfoil is wrong, the opposite of what it should be. I would not worry about it and go ahead and fly it (most people won’t notice except that persnickety judge we all know). Peter has stated that there is a mistake in the center section airfoil and he should correct it in future kits. Maybe he will make a mini kit and send you a new center section to build and install so you can enter some scale contests and not be downgraded for the error, he seems like the kind of guy that would do that. It seems to me it would be easier to build a new section than to modify the existing section.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Errol Levin

tmac48

You have an absolute work of art there. My compliments

Errol. #204
Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 AM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Barth 1/3 Waco Incidence

Great comments from everyone. I like the way my center section looks, and it will stay as is. Hope to build a good looking plane that flies well. No thoughts toward scale competition.

For upper setup, when I get to it, I'm following Tmac's advice and building a little fixture to hold the upper center section in place. I will break down and buy a 36 inch bar for the Robart, which I should already have done (That could change everything). I will make the fixture rigid enough to keep everything in position with wings plugged in. Then I will set the wing incidence for both L & R and take what I get at the center section. The wings are doing lots more than the center.

Regards all,

Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood # 132
Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 PM
aminiet

Just founf out on facebook today is Bill's birthday, I don't want to get in trouble asking for the age, but it probably took a fan to blow all the candles off.
Happy birthday chief and many more.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:59 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Happy "B" Day Bill
Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 PM
tmac48

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: hopkimf

Barth 1/3 Waco Incidence

Great comments from everyone. I like the way my center section looks, and it will stay as is. Hope to build a good looking plane that flies well. No thoughts toward scale competition.

For upper setup, when I get to it, I'm following Tmac's advice and building a little fixture to hold the upper center section in place. I will break down and buy a 36 inch bar for the Robart, which I should already have done (That could change everything). I will make the fixture rigid enough to keep everything in position with wings plugged in. Then I will set the wing incidence for both L & R and take what I get at the center section. The wings are doing lots more than the center.

Regards all,

Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood # 132

Mike,I have been lying in bed and going over my previous posts in my head and realised what a terrible mistake that I have made. The centre section having a Greater AOA than the rest of the wing means that it has to be set at a LESS of an angle so as to get the required angle at the outer sections. Sorry for my misinformation.
tmac..
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
tmac48

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

All,

Anthony has it correct, the center section ribs curve up from the bottom as shown in the pictures he posted. The picture that shows it best is the rear view of his plane. The white w/blue trim plane is NC 14081, a 1997 Waco Classics YMF, Ser # F5-009, the last one made from the original 1935 plans. If you look close at the bottom of the wing over Debbie’s head (Robin is in the back seat), you can see the curve goes up (enlarge the picture to max). The view of the top of the wing shows no downward curve in that area, just the smooth natural flow of the airfoil matching the outer panels. Anthony – Thanks for posting the pictures.

TMAC – I hate to say it after all the effort you have put into your plane (it is great looking) your center section airfoil is wrong, the opposite of what it should be. I would not worry about it and go ahead and fly it (most people won’t notice except that persnickety judge we all know). Peter has stated that there is a mistake in the center section airfoil and he should correct it in future kits. Maybe he will make a mini kit and send you a new center section to build and install so you can enter some scale contests and not be downgraded for the error, he seems like the kind of guy that would do that. It seems to me it would be easier to build a new section than to modify the existing section.
John,thank you for your comments. I, like hopkinmf are not that concerned about the incorrect shape of the center section of the Barth kit because I do not intend to enter any scale competitions. having said that if I was about to build another then I would look at altering it but it would be a lot more work than you think for the whole center section needs to be redesigned and also the inner portion of the outer panels,far to much work for a novice like me.
tmac
Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: aminiet

Just founf out on facebook today is Bill's birthday, I don't want to get in trouble asking for the age, but it probably took a fan to blow all the candles off.
Happy birthday chief and many more.
Shucks, I'm only 29. Course I ain't sayin how many times I've celebrated my 29th Birthday.

Bill , Waco Brother #1
Old 07-06-2013, 01:37 PM
hopkimf

ORIGINAL: hopkimf

Improved sketch. It's for real. higher incidence on root rib. it's subtle. The sketch was not to scale but if you look close, you can see it. Enough of this? PRO/E graphics is pretty handy. Takes just a few minutes.

mike H

Tmac,

I made a mistake on quoted post, And my wording wasn't great. The pictures are right though.

These sketches were supposed to show center section ROOT RIBS at a LOWER incidence then those at center. You can see it in rear view. If the sketches didn't come along, you can look at the post above.

Another thing I should have made clear was in the build of both wings. I built them on the plan, but not with the spars right on the plan. Spars were sitting on dummy spars right on the plan to lift everything above the plan. Made it easier to fit pieces to ribs. When I put on the TE, it was essentially flat full length, which made me feel the entire wing incidence was constant.

Regards,

MH 132
Old 07-06-2013, 02:41 PM
WacoNut

The center section issue will not hurt the flight performance at all.

I remembered Michael (WacoDream) saying he just purchased a 33% Barth kit and a Moki radial and was wanting to have it ready for Top Gun next year. Hopefully he reads this before he starts building his kit. Easier to correct in the beginning. That grumpy older scale judge will get him

Too many scale issues with the AMR kit is what kept me from going nuts with my plane and just doing the details to satisfy #1 (Me). These large Waco's are impressive no matter how much detail you throw into them.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-06-2013, 04:30 PM
tmac48

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR BILL.
tmac (Terry McCleary.)
Old 07-06-2013, 05:10 PM
aminiet

Anthony. I think you just got yourself in deep bandini with the ageless for ever young judge.

Angel
Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 AM
tmac48

ORIGINAL: Errol Levin

tmac48

You have an absolute work of art there. My compliments

Errol. #204
Coming from you sir that is a big statement. How about a few more pics of your build, always an inspiration especially how neat your work is.
tmac.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just be sure to build your model so that it matches your documentation. I can't believe that people who are competing at this level don't understand this. Your model can be built wrong in all the Monday morning experts opinions, but if it is built to match the documentation then Gentlemen, we have a winner.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 PM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Happy 29th Birthday Bill, many more!!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 PM
hopkimf

Barth YMF 1/3

A couple days ago I put the main landing gear on to make sure it was right. Had pre-drilled all former holes before gluing on. The design uses 16 screws, nuts and washers. It all fit, and everything was level laterally. I'm not a big fan of metric hardware. It's fine, but I hate mixing. So I tossed the kit supplied fasteners and replaced it with hex socket head screws. Easier to wrench than kit supplied low slot head screws. Looking good until I tried a trial fit of lower center wing. It fit before; not now. Hit socket head screws. Now I know why kit supplied were used. They don't show on plan and the fix is flat head US or some special head shape. Small detail.

The Barth kit is without a doubt, the best I have ever built. Excellent design, excellent plans, and everything fits per plan if built right. The ring that goes over firewall fit like a glove. Could not have been better.

Next effort is in locating servos, etc. inside. Got some good recommendations from Peter. Then the stringers. Hope I can get them straight. In the past on a Waco UPF-7 from I'Kon, it was a nightmare. Just bought new Permagrit slot cutters, best tool in my toolbox. Can you tell I really love building this kit?

Mike Hopkins

Waco Brotherhood # 132
Old 07-07-2013, 05:09 PM
tmac48

hopkimf I replaced these bolts and nuts also. What I did was use 3 mil cap head bolts with T nuts ( flush fitting nuts ) on the side that the center section is mated up to. PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS Always good to post photos for all to see if you have the time and means.

tmac.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM
hopkimf

Tmac,

Good idea. I'll need to make sure the bolt doesn't poke thru the Tnut. Thanks.

MH # 32
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 AM
WacoDream

Happy Birthday Bill - and Thank You so much for starting this thread and supporting this Brotherhood  It's been a gift for sure.  I hope this is your best year yet!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 AM
WacoDream

Nut thanks for the suggestion and thinking of me. I've been tracking this wing issue and will keep it in mind for sure on my Barth build. At the moment I'm in the Pica build and having some fun. Thought I would finish this one out this month and then move to the big daddy 33% in August. Should give me 10 months to get ready. I know Top Gun will come before we know it. I'm still buzzing from the show last month and seeing all the amazing builds. Hopefully I'll make it for 2014 but not going to rush.

I took a stab at the panels today - made from Aluminum per the good suggestion of brother Robert. It was a nice build day and it feels good to get the first side together. Everything is tacked in place and I will do some more shaping for sure to get the lines a little tighter.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12516.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1898545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74151.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1898546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74911.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1898547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27479.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1898548  
Old 07-08-2013, 02:06 PM
tmac48

Looking good mate.
tmac.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27504.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1898684  
Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM
WacoNut

The work you guys have done with the aluminum panels is really nice. Makes me wish I had done that with mine.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 PM
tmac48

Nut,you have built a beautiful model,one that any modeler would be more than happy to call their own and not only that but you have built it twice while I'm still trying to get my first finished. ( I will swap you mine in exchange for your MOKI [:@] )
tmac.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM
WacoNut

tmac,
I don't have a Moki, that would be icing on the cake for sure. I have a 3W-157 up front. It really pulls the Waco along and the sound is pretty good for a twin 2-stroke.
BTW: Thanks for the compliments.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
WacoDream

Tmac - What size screws did you use on your 33% panels?  Are those 080 or 256?  Your panels looks amazing btw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.