Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:43 AM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedj
Glad all is ok. Definitely would like to hear about the point of failure if and when you find it.

Mike
Mike I took a look at every thing and the servo just went bad this is a first for me good thing it wasn't on a control surface and froze up in the air would have been a disaster.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:50 AM
mikedj
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen to that. My reason for asking is to help me and others avoid problems, but I guess there's not much one can do to head off a servo failure. Thanks for the update.

Mike
Old 07-27-2016, 06:09 AM
dwmcmike

Good day all.

Allow me to introduce myself. I’ve been building and flying models since about ’68, starting with Ukie and graduating to RC in ’70. I’ve always had a true love of Biplanes and I’ve currently got 4 in stable including an Aeromaster, Giant Aeromaster, GP Ultimate 50cc, and a Hog Bipe.

I’ve always loved Waco bipes and when I made a recent decision to build my first seriously detailed scale model I started a search for a 1/5 Pica kit. While I’ve had the Pepino Waco plans sitting in the files for about 12 years now, I figured I”d cut my teeth on serious scale modeling and Waco bipes with the Pica kit. After a patient search, one came up not to long ago and I jumped on it. Probably paid too much for it ($300), but these kits are getting rather scarce.

So far, I’ve managed to read through about 1/3 of this Waco thread, gather bits of information and documentation along the way, squirreling it all away for reference and construction ideas for this winter.
I’m anxiously awaiting for the arrival of the kit which is tracked as out for delivery for today. I’ll probably spend the next month or two just organizing my documentation and making the final decision on a particular subject to model, be it a Vintage, Classic, or the Super, modifying the kit as needed for the subject aircraft.

I’m still a bit unsure of what I’ll use for power, but I’m kind of leaning towards a Saito Gas 3 cyl Radial. Covering and finish will be the Stits model weight fabric and finish, having used it before on my Giant Aeromaster and having excellent results.

I would like to ask Stickbuilder for membership into the Brotherhood with the hopes of contributing something to this thread documenting the best looking aircraft ever built.

Now… Where’s that mailman?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM
mrdhud

Welcome to the Brotherhood

Lets welcome dwmcmike
( Dennis) to the Brotherhood Dennis you will be Brother # 265
I do hope your name is
Dennis if not let me know.
Looking forward watching your build.

Last edited by mrdhud; 07-31-2016 at 08:34 AM. Reason: change name
Old 07-27-2016, 08:34 AM
mrdhud

dwmcmike
You may want to go to this sight and download the revised manual and look it over. It has some improvements from the brother hood.

http://mrdhud.wix.com/classicair#!
Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 PM
dwmcmike

Thanks Stickbuilder for the inclusion in such a prestigious organization. By the way, the handle is Dennis, but you couldn't have known now could you?

mrdhud, thank you very much for the revised manual, which i'm looking over next.

Hopefully, i'll get started on my Waco soon, and will update with pics and probably a lot of questions and/or comments along the way.

Last edited by dwmcmike; 07-27-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM
dwmcmike

oops... double posted
Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM
kvlasblom

Hello all

Does anyone know the thickness/diameter of the vent tubes used? For the SRE which I'm building in particular, but perhaps they used the same on the YMF?
Do you make them detachable to avoid damage? And may I ask how if so?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:17 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Hey Brotherhood, I finally had a chance to fly the Waco today, all I can say is, this thing is sweet,way more responsive than I thought it would be. It is a Pica 1/5 scale kit built with monokote covering. Just wondering how much weight difference there would be if I strip the monokote off and used stits light? I know there will be a weight penalty but I just think a Waco needs fabric covering.Do you think the added weight of the stits light will change very much the way she flies? Thanks
Old 07-31-2016, 04:32 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by flyerdave
Hey Brotherhood, I finally had a chance to fly the Waco today, all I can say is, this thing is sweet,way more responsive than I thought it would be. It is a Pica 1/5 scale kit built with monokote covering. Just wondering how much weight difference there would be if I strip the monokote off and used stits light? I know there will be a weight penalty but I just think a Waco needs fabric covering.Do you think the added weight of the stits light will change very much the way she flies? Thanks
Stits and paint will add weight. My 1/5 scale Cabin WACO (an old school design built like a tank) finished in Stits weighs 16 lbs even and flies scale-like on an OS 1.60 twin with a bit of power to spare. Probably depends on what power plant you have and what the plane currently weighs. It certainly will look better/more scale with the Stits.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:21 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dwmcmike
Thanks Stickbuilder for the inclusion in such a prestigious organization. By the way, the handle is Dennis, but you couldn't have known now could you?

mrdhud, thank you very much for the revised manual, which i'm looking over next.

Hopefully, i'll get started on my Waco soon, and will update with pics and probably a lot of questions and/or comments along the way.
Mike, sorry, but Dan is in control of the day to day operation of the thread. My health issues required me to step down from the helm a year or so ago. I still look in and add what I can. I've missed out on much in the last couple of years, but that's how the cards are dealt. Look at the modifications that have been detailed over the years and incorporate some or all into your build. Especially pay attention to the wing redesign. You'll have a stronger and lighter structure that will look and fly much better than Platt's original design. Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 08-05-2016, 08:38 AM
dwmcmike

I will incorporate a good number of the modifications that have been detailed on these pages. Some great information here!
This build is going to be my first attempt at building a competition level Scale model. I’ve been collecting information for the past year or so with this in mind. I’ve got just tons of pictures and really having a hard time trying to find a subject with a paint scheme that I like that I can properly and accurately reproduce. I’m “medically” retired at the moment, recovering from treatment and surgery for Liver Cancer that has taken up a lot of my time and health for the past year, but after Surgery to remove the tumors and showing no signs of any further cancer, my doctor and I are optimistic that I’m probably going to be fine after I start gaining back the 80+ lbs this demon of a disease took from me.
I do have a couple of questions regarding power. I’ve read through 375 pages, up to post #9350 taking notes as I go, and I’ve seen people powering them with about anything from .120 4 strokes to 30cc Gas 2 strokes. I think I’ve narrowed my choices down to a short list including:
Saito 182 twin
Saito 150 – 180 single
Saito 3 cyl radial
O.S. 160 twin
DA 35 (Probably extremely overpowered)
DLE 30
Laser 160 or maybe Laser 200
I’m actually leaning towards the Laser 200 with a bit more power than the 160, willing to swing up to a 20” prop. I haven’t found any drawings for it to verify that it will fit in the cowl, but judging from dimensions given for the Laser 100 of Shaft cL to top of needle valve of roughly 4-5/8”, and less than 4” from the top of the rocker cover, it should fit in with no problem. I did send an email to Laser requesting a dimension for the 200 just to make sure.
Has anyone used one of the Laser engines in a 1/5 Waco?
Beyond that, I received the kit last week, and after a bit of apprehension over a bit of damage to the box, found that the contents hadn’t been damaged or even barely disturbed. So now it’s on to making the final decisions regarding details, servos, control linkages, etc., then hopefully get some glue and balsa dust flying around the shop shortly. I just have to get past this good flying weather and a love for a 50cc Ultimate that loves to dance!
Wish me Luck!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0443.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2175862   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0444.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	2175863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0447.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	2175864   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0448.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	2175865   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0449.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	2175866  

Last edited by dwmcmike; 08-05-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: resized the pics
Old 08-05-2016, 02:05 PM
kvlasblom

Nice! Bet you can't wait to start

I'm building a cabin WACO, an SRE to 1/6th scale. Getting close to painting it, after 9.5 years of building...
Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 PM
mrdhud

I will incorporate a good number of the modifications that have been detailed on these pages. Some great information here!
This build is going to be my first attempt at building a competition level Scale model. I’ve been collecting information for the past year or so with this in mind. I’ve got just tons of pictures and really having a hard time trying to find a subject with a paint scheme that I like that I can properly and accurately reproduce. I’m “medically” retired at the moment, recovering from treatment and surgery for Liver Cancer that has taken up a lot of my time and health for the past year, but after Surgery to remove the tumors and showing no signs of any further cancer, my doctor and I are optimistic that I’m probably going to be fine after I start gaining back the 80+ lbs this demon of a disease took from me.
I do have a couple of questions regarding power. I’ve read through 375 pages, up to post #9350 taking notes as I go, and I’ve seen people powering them with about anything from .120 4 strokes to 30cc Gas 2 strokes. I think I’ve narrowed my choices down to a short list including:
Saito 182 twin
Saito 150 – 180 single
Saito 3 cyl radial
O.S. 160 twin
DA 35 (Probably extremely overpowered)
DLE 30
Laser 160 or maybe Laser 200
I’m actually leaning towards the Laser 200 with a bit more power than the 160, willing to swing up to a 20” prop. I haven’t found any drawings for it to verify that it will fit in the cowl, but judging from dimensions given for the Laser 100 of Shaft cL to top of needle valve of roughly 4-5/8”, and less than 4” from the top of the rocker cover, it should fit in with no problem. I did send an email to Laser requesting a dimension for the 200 just to make sure.
Has anyone used one of the Laser engines in a 1/5 Waco?
Beyond that, I received the kit last week, and after a bit of apprehension over a bit of damage to the box, found that the contents hadn’t been damaged or even barely disturbed. So now it’s on to making the final decisions regarding details, servos, control linkages, etc., then hopefully get some glue and balsa dust flying around the shop shortly. I just have to get past this good flying weather and a love for a 50cc Ultimate that loves to dance!
Wish me Luck!

Let the fun begin. Post lots of pictures.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:25 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dwmcmike,
I have a Saito 182 in excellent condition for sale if you decide to go that route..

Thanks,
paul
Old 08-09-2016, 05:43 AM
dwmcmike

Originally Posted by pacoflyer
dwmcmike,
I have a Saito 182 in excellent condition for sale if you decide to go that route..

Thanks,
paul
Paul, thanks for the offer, but I've decided to go with the Laser 200. It seems that most of the kit built aircraft need some lead up front to balance properly. I'd rather put a bit more engine and have the reserve power than just put dead weight up front. Now that the engine is ordered (about a 5 week leadtime according to Laser), it's on to collecting the other bits, pieces, and equipment that will be needed. Next up is probably servos. I'm a Hitec fan, and have a few hi-torque servos (5945's) left over from previous models. I'll just have to inventory what I've got and order a what I don't have. I'll use pull-pull on the rudder/tail wheel, and would like to work out a way to use the same on the elevators, concealing the linkage as on the full scale. Has anyone worked out the engineering for a pull-pull elevator system yet?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:49 PM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good choice Mike
I saw several Laser's run a few years back down at Top Gun.
They ran great and sounded better…
Good luck with your project..
Old 08-12-2016, 05:44 AM
kvlasblom

My WACO SRE will be fitted with a Laser 120.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:02 AM
tih
My Feedback: (1)

I haven't started on the WACO, as I've got other projects that need to be completed first. However, I'm afraid it just got quite a bit more expensive... I've fallen in love with what I believe is a great engine choice for the 1/5 scale WACO: http://evolutionengines.com/Products...ProdID=EVOE735

This thing is just the right size, and would look fabulous on the model. It's a little bit on the heavy side, and a little bit on the powerful side, but still...

Opinions?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM
dwmcmike

Originally Posted by tih
I haven't started on the WACO, as I've got other projects that need to be completed first. However, I'm afraid it just got quite a bit more expensive... I've fallen in love with what I believe is a great engine choice for the 1/5 scale WACO: http://evolutionengines.com/Products...ProdID=EVOE735

This thing is just the right size, and would look fabulous on the model. It's a little bit on the heavy side, and a little bit on the powerful side, but still...

Opinions?
Oh My! I guess SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) is gonna get a few new dresses and "trinkets" in the near future!

Have you found any reviews on it yet?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Dash7ATP

Originally Posted by tih

Opinions?
How did the Revolution radial work out? OK I hope. However, I know a fellow in FL, On Top of the World, actually, who nearly lost a beautiful 1/3 scale Stearman with a Revolution Radial. The engine quit shortly after takeoff, requiring a forced landing which damaged the plane. The cause was an internal part failure. Long story short, the engine was returned THREE times for repairs. Three flights, three failures right after takeoff due to an internal failure. He finally got a refund and bought a Moki radial. No more problems.

Dash
Old 08-12-2016, 03:15 PM
SPACE COWBOY

Hey Paul! What would you take for your Saito 182? Are you interested in any trades? I have lots of stuff! PM me or give me a call: (919)-770-4931 anytime! Blue Skies! Cody
Old 08-13-2016, 03:50 AM
tih
My Feedback: (1)

Have you found any reviews on it yet?
No reviews, but a number of Youtube videos. This guy has several Evolution radials, including a 7-35 in a Great Planes 1/5 scale WACO YMF-5.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Dash7ATP

I had a similar problem last week with my modified Ultra Stick. I was preparing to land, and my throttle started to fluctuate from low to high about once a second, and no response from the throttle. I finally had to just fly it onto the ground, and turn into high grass to stop it. After letting the plane sit for about fifteen minutes in the pit area, I turned it back on. Nothing happened for about a minute, and it started doing it again.

I took it home and tried to duplicate the problem, but could not get it to happen again. I changed the servo, but haven't tried to fly it since. It was a hot day, so I'm concerned it could be heat related. Any ideas on what could cause this type of failure?

Joe
Old 08-16-2016, 03:33 PM
kvlasblom

The WACO SRE has rib stitching and pinked tape on the rudder and elevator ribs, but does anyone know if the trailing edges of these control surfaces have the pinked tape on them too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.