RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Helimax (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/helimax-462/)
-   -   axe cp thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/helimax-462/5211910-axe-cp-thread.html)

tgwolfwood1981 01-04-2007 09:52 PM

axe cp thread

Well guys it looks like we finally got our own helimax sub-forum. lets not waste it. enjoy, and keep the questions and answers coming. I freakin love it!!!!

Heli Bat 01-04-2007 10:12 PM

RE: axe cp thread

This is great ! I am sure to post here now. We just need to get everyone over here. I guess it will take a while. I am surprise that they did not copy and paste all the existing forum threading over to here to keep it going.

Heli Bat

ziggy99 01-04-2007 10:17 PM

I posted my AXE CP problem in the new sub forum too.

tgwolfwood1981 01-05-2007 02:34 AM

well i just thought i would mention that if you want to see a couple of small vids of me trying to hover my axe there are on youtube.com right now (i just uploaded a 1 min 20 sec hover earlier, should be available to look at by tomorrow)

everyone should be posting some vids to look at. I want to see how people are progressing. hope you enjoy my small vids.

tgwolfwood1981 01-05-2007 02:48 AM

oh yeah, i forgot how to find those vids on youtube.com. you can either search for "axe cp" or my user name "tgwolfwood1981".

COPO 01-05-2007 06:32 AM

This is great!! Thanks to all that were involved in getting this sub- forum going. Any chance of getting the current threads in the other forum into this one?

Thanks again

COPO 01-05-2007 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: tgwolfwood1981

oh yeah, i forgot how to find those vids on youtube.com. you can either search for "axe cp" or my user name "tgwolfwood1981".

tgwolfwood1981, I just went and looked at the vids. Great job!! Looks like you have extended the training gear? Is the set they give you not big enough? That space you are flying in looks smaller than the space I am going to attempt. That brings a little more confidence to myself.

Wed. my new AXE should be here.

PilotLight 01-05-2007 10:53 AM

Tgwolfwood,

Looks like you're really starting to improve. One thing I wanted to note though. In both this latest vid and the earlier one, you start to get in trouble and the first thing you do is pull the collective down. This habbit could get you someday, so becareful. Being in a small space you don't have many options, but I've found my bail out move to be get the chopper level with cyclic and ADD power. Get it up and away from the ground, wall, tree, whatever.

Keep those vids coming. ;)

wildchild45177 01-05-2007 11:07 AM

Yet another AXEcp owner. I think this is going to be the next big heli. I know I like mine.

Bob

Heli Bat 01-05-2007 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: UKIE

This is great!! Thanks to all that were involved in getting this sub- forum going. Any chance of getting the current threads in the other forum into this one?

Thanks again
I had the same thought !
Heli Bat

MachTwo 01-05-2007 04:14 PM

Hello everyone,

I am new to helicopters but not to RC. I have been looking at the Axe CP. Are you all happy with what you got, the price, quality, etc. How is the quality of the transmitter?

Thanks

DscottM83 01-05-2007 04:17 PM

I love mine so far, im about to fly it here at work in our warehouse in about 45min when im off work, ill let you know how that goes. 1st real flight with her besides 6" off the ground in my basement :)

metabolicmaggot 01-05-2007 04:28 PM

Doesn't anyone have one who is already real good with helis that can make a vid with some aerobatics? I am realy looking forward to seeing what it can do!

DscottM83 01-05-2007 06:12 PM

Ok im back from flying my 1st heli for the 1st time. Anyway needless to say if you dont have RealFlight G3.5 GO GET IT!!!!! I practiced on RealFlight a week prior to getting the heli, anyway i was able to do 10-15 sec hovers with out too much difficulty and went through a whole battery, some 5-6 foot hovers with no crash, or even close to one for that matter. I think im officially hooked :)

metabolicmaggot 01-05-2007 06:40 PM

I wish my dad would get hooked, then maybe heli.

metabolicmaggot 01-05-2007 07:17 PM

*** he would pay for a new heli***

Heli Bat 01-05-2007 09:53 PM

I am waiting for my LHS to get some batteries. The included ones are horried. I would not have minded paying a tad more for the AXE if they would have put a more robust set of batteries in it. Dang !

I am still trying to fine tune mine and took the evening trying to figure out the ryhme and reason for those adjustments. You know, I can't make anything out of it. I think that I am doing good, but then again, I don't know.

I found out the the trim adjustment at the TOP of the circuit board just turns and turns - it has NO stop to it! From my experience it seems that this trim must be trimming some type of RF feedback circuit or something. It is very strange.

Oh well, I got too close to the garage wall and guess what - a trip to the LHS to get another set of blades. I only barely nipped the end. But it was enough (which doesn't take much) for the thing to get out of balance.

I've got to do something about this battery ordeal. I makes no sense for me to drive 10 miles only to fly for 5 minutes. I should have ordered a unit from someone instead of waiting for LHS. They told me to come back Saturday.
I want to be able to recharge the battery out in the field. How do you do that - via the car battery?

Heli Bat

dfalcon 01-05-2007 11:56 PM

I makes no sense for me to drive 10 miles only to fly for 5 minutes.
Get some lipo's. Thunder Power 1320's weigh a little less than the stock battery and are lasting a little more than twice as long. I also have a 1100mAh PolyQuest battery that I use in the Axe, and by the time I'm done with all three batteries, my nerves are shot and it's time for a break anyway.
For field charging, I keep a small, lead-acid lawn tractor/atv/motorcycle battery. It'll charge about 20 batteries before it needs recharging itself.

tgwolfwood1981 01-06-2007 05:31 PM

Just wanted to post that i finally got my real flight g3.5, and i must say that i am pleasantly surprised. the axe cp in the sim flies very close to the real thing. I went in to edit the axe and changed the gyro to 60%, then i changed the scale size and physics from the stock 95% to 100% and it is almost dead on. this should really help me out. especially since im leaving for cali tomorrow and won't be able to fly the real thing for 2 weeks. RFG3.5 is going to have to be my substitute. we need someother peoples vids. come on people, get that camera out and show us what you got.

tgwolfwood1981 01-06-2007 05:36 PM

ukie: I just wanted to see if it would help to use longer training gear. hell the carbon rods were only 4 buck for three of them, so i gave it a shot and it really helped out, especially with how small a space i am dealing with.

skycarven 01-07-2007 09:48 AM

Hey. Just a quick question about the LiPo batteries. I am looking to get some because we all know the stock batteries don't last long. Is the ''Dean" plug a standard connection or is it something that isn't used very often? I never even heard of the dean plug until I bought this heli. Has anyone done an mods to the dean connector (ex: changing it to a common connector)? Just curious! Happy flying!

DscottM83 01-07-2007 10:07 AM

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/drel83/heli2.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/drel83/heli.jpg

tgwolfwood1981 01-07-2007 03:55 PM

skycarven: yes deans plugs are quite common. this ones used on the axe are the Deans micro. there is also a Deans ultra which is bigger. some lipos already have one of these plugs installed. I have heard of some people buying the lipos with the ultra and just soldering the other plug in place of the stock micro plug on the axe. I also believe there are adapters available

DscottM85: Nice pics man. Keep them coming.

dfalcon 01-07-2007 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's too windy to fly anything here this weekend, so out of boredom, I made another windshield for my canopy... I was getting tired of looking at the one that had been cracked in a crash anyway... I just happened to have 2 blocks of balsa that, when glued together, were just big enough to make a mold. Decided to use a Mountain Dew bottle. The first one came out kinda wavy; so I either need to make my own vac-form setup or find someone around here that already has one. All I had to work with was my heat gun and covering iron.

Heli Bat 01-07-2007 07:20 PM

nice work on the canopy
nice pics of that heli hovering
any other news I have read, just keep on flyin' !!

Well, I picked up a Li-Po from my LHS. A Great Planes 910maH. I also got a battery charger. I can't remember what is was, I would have to go out in the garage and look at it again. It took 2 hours to charge this thing from the store.

However, I will say that it seems my flying time has like quadrupled. It seems that I am in the air forever now !! Oh well not forever really -- but at any rate, this brings on tempations, and those temptations, bring on crash in the bushes. But, you know, I have found that this machine is remarkable at recoveries.

I had a freind over that wanted to watch me gly. He kept saying fly it higer - fly it higher. It is quite obvious that he has no concept of anything of this nature. I told him - hey - look at my fingers - can't you tell that i am making constant small changes to keep the thing hovering? That still did not sink into this head. I certainly do not know what he was thinking. I told him that i had about a year of SIM time. That went over his head too. Oh well. A good days flyin'. By the way, that crash into the bushes did cost me one servo (yikes) no problem. I ran back to LHS and all he had was a Hitec #Hs-55. I had to use the control arm that came with the servo as the Helimax servo did not interchange. It is still no problem. The Hitec slipped right in as it had the exact same physical dimensions. The only thing that is different is the final gear that is poking out the top of the case is like a hair 100ths of an inch different. But it is a difference enough that you want to go with the Hitec control arm. I also had to lengthen the linkage arm about three turns of the link end itself. Overall, I guess you are not talking that much to make a difference. I flew it and it seems to hover fine like nothing happened.