Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

HPI Savage Flux RCU review thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 PM
alaviolette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HPI Savage Flux RCU review thread

I mentioned the battery trays in another thread. The Official HPI Europe (English language) site: [link]http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.php?partNo=100647&lang=en[/link] states the following (in English, no Japanese)- "The diffs feature the all-new Machined Super Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Set, with extra-large bearings for extreme durability! These are tougher and stronger than all other available bevel gear sets for the Savage!". I know your English is bad, but even you should be able to understand that the Official HPI site is saying that these are not XL diffs. Quote "These are tougher and stronger than all other available bevel gear sets for the Savage". In English on the Official HPI site. This Official HPI site, in English, has been up for over 2 weeks. And you say no one has ever heard of it! All you had to do was go to the site I mentioned in the post. I said "European English language site both state that the diffs have larger bearings".
I believe my question was legitimate and should not have been dismissed by you. I have never disrespected you in any post. Your "go look it up" insult was uncalled for and the tone of your posts is not in the RCU spirit.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Janezki

The Flux diff gears (bevel gears) do have their own part number #102246, which differs from the XL ones #86922, so I believe that they are new design.
Also, and this is just my sighting, the gearbox looks like it has the Savage 2spd internals, except for the goc on gear axle, which is obviously a new design since you don't need any clutches.
Notice one unused gear on slipper/input axle.

btw. There's a comparison chart at the bottom of the Savage line-up page, [link=http://www.hpieurope.com/savagelineup.php?lang=en]here[/link].

edit: oh, and Hello! to everybody here.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
newpat

Quick off-topic:
nice to see a guy from Finland on this forum!!! I love your country, i had a great 4-month time there !!!
End of off-topic

Pat
Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Janezki

[ot]Thanks Pat - I'm trying to adjust myself to the forum just now... [/ot]

Anyone notice that the battery trays in webdr's pictures (appreciate the tranny pic) seem to differ from the ones at the HPI site?
The inside dimensions of the trays are the most eagerly awaited information...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
rhylsadar

hi

ok i see you've had your good reasons for the question. i was just rushing through the forum and your question looked like one "another one" from "another lazy guy" too lazy to read the available information first. so sorry for putting you in this corner. i should have noticed you are already logged in the forum for years and have few post which is usually a good sign that people only write when they really have something at their hands.
i didn't realize the other part number on that flux ring gear and pinion. catched me on that one i have to admit. and the part with the large bearings i just interpreted as usual advertising. they always have "large bearings etc etc". but you're right that may indicate something. eventhough i would have expected hpi to show this as a new feature with pics etc IF there is something really important like new larger bearings (larger than all before).
so i apologize for my first quick answer. nevertheless all this information you cited above can be found on the official site...so you already knew there was something with the diffs...so why ask
Are they the standard Savage diffs or have they been upgraded somehow?
if you didn't know it before your post then my tipp for "having a look at the official site" wasn't too bad was it?

bye
rhylsadar
Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Nightrunner

Quick Question:

What kind of Radio this truck has. A decent FM/2.4 GHZ unit or a cheap RTR limited # of channels AM radio. The HPI web site is not clear on this, the radio pictured there seems cheap. Just wanna know if a person has to factor in an additional 90 bucks or so for an extra receiver on an already expensive RTR.

Nightrunner
Old 01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
jpvert

ORIGINAL: Nightrunner

Quick Question:

What kind of Radio this truck has. A decent FM/2.4 GHZ unit or a cheap RTR limited # of channels AM radio. The HPI web site is not clear on this, the radio pictured there seems cheap. Just wanna know if a person has to factor in an additional 90 bucks or so for an extra receiver on an already expensive RTR.

Nightrunner
It's a 27MHz AM : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXWLZ8**&P=ML
Yeah it's crap this is the first thing to upgrade.

e-JP
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Janezki-check out www.bigsquidrc.com for some more info as they too have a Flux.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 AM
spiftacu1ar

I th ought it was supposed to be single speed. The pic you posted of the tranny looks like a 2 speed (or am I mistaken). Also, is this tranny a bolt in replacement for the original? (I want to do a conversion since I already have most of the electronics). If its not, I gues I will have to get the kershaw designs direct drive.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Janezki

spiftacu1ar - It is single speed, you just need the first gear on slipper shaft to keep the "second" on it's place. Also, it looks like it's direct bolt on to nitro - I mean, why see all the trouble of design a new tranny, when you can get it to work with just one new gear?
btw. One Kershaw transmission ordered here...

edit: btw. thanks lightfoot for correcting my little brain fart, dunno what I was thinking
Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM
fasterrcs

does anyone have a link to the flux parts list thanks...........
Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 AM
black mamba

Possibly www.hpiracing.com if they have them listed. Truck isn't even officially out yet.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:22 AM
splcrazy

why do they always put only one shock per tyre compared to two shocks per tyre on nitro models ? i want to get a electric savage looks like this will be it ,lol hpi and the savages always look the same when a new model comes out , its the same as Porshe
Old 01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
black mamba

They are plastic (?) versions of the big bore shocks. They should be plenty capable.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
samintrepid

question for Matt, did you think are possible to fit a spc 7.4v 8000mah 27mm x 47mm x 145mm ?

Thank !

Sam
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 PM
webdr

the battery compartment is roughly 30mm wide x 50mm deep. Its long enough to accomidate packs up to 8 inches long.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
BLRunner

The diff bearings are larger and the gearbox/bulks have been upgraded with a new part number.
Check out this brochure: [link]http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/dm/newproducts.pdf[/link]

And below is the e-mail I just got from Michael at HPI:

"Thank you for contacting HPI Racing and Hot Bodies customer service. It looks like we did change the bearing size on the new Savage Flux and we also changed the material on the diff as well to make them stronger. We also have changed the diff bulk head so all around the diffs are upgraded.

Michael | Customer Service
(:: PH 949.753.1099 x505/ FX. 949.753.1098

Toll Free: 1-888-349-4474
70 Icon, Foothill Ranch, CA, USA 92610"
Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Lilredmachine

Nice.

Good to see the electric guys getting some exclusive parts for a change.

Plus bragging rights, because the nitro drive train just wasn't strong enough
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
BLRunner

Is the review coming out this century?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
webdr

patience grasshoppa!
Its only been 2 weeks since I got it. I usually take a month to review but Im going to have this one live hopefully next week.
It will be soon...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:15 AM
iexion

How long till Someone puts the Flux into the XL? That might be intresting
Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
black mamba

I've got a feeling HPI is dictating when this review can be released.

If not, man, you suck for leaving us all hanging this long.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 PM
webdr

Haha! cmon man, Im trying!!

No, HPI isnt dictating crap, they told me to review it and gave no timeframe. Trust me, theres no conspiracy.
There is, however, alot of crappy weather on the weekends lately, which is the only time I can shoot a review.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:16 AM
mrpints69

OK I got several questions. I haven't had an electric rc since I was a kid. So please answer these questions the best you can. From what I read the Savage Flux can hold 6 batteries? What would the best (most powerful and long lasting) Batteries be? How many of them could fit in the boxes and how long would they last? What much would they cost each? Can they be switched out for fresh batteries easily? How long will the batteries take to charge? Will the electric motor be damaged or destroyed if it gets water on it? Will it be safe to drive through mud or small water puddles or even in a light rain? When is the official release date in the United States? What is the expected cost of one? Would a transmission with 2 or 3 gears make it go even faster or give it a higher top speed? Can you put 4 more shocks on this puppy so it can have 8? Dose it drive better in different temps? Will the motor over heat or get damaged by heat if driven in pretty hot weather (say 100 degrees F) I sand gets into the electric motor will it cause damage or problems? Is their any cleaning or special treatment that you have to do to keep the motor clean or from being damaged?

I know it is a lot of questions and I know some of them may be some easy ones but it is stuff I don't know and or don't have time to research. Thanks a head of time.

One last thing. When someone gets a chance start a mod for making a decent wheelie bar for this beast. From what I saw and read is that if you really slam the throttle on this monster that it will wheelie or even flip right over that little wheelie bar that comes with it. Thanks in advance.

You an also e-mail me at [email protected]
Anyone live Panhandle of Florida give me a shout.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 AM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mrpints69

OK I got several questions. I haven't had an electric rc since I was a kid. So please answer these questions the best you can. From what I read the Savage Flux can hold 6 batteries? What would the best (most powerful and long lasting) Batteries be? How many of them could fit in the boxes and how long would they last? What much would they cost each? Can they be switched out for fresh batteries easily? How long will the batteries take to charge? Will the electric motor be damaged or destroyed if it gets water on it? Will it be safe to drive through mud or small water puddles or even in a light rain? When is the official release date in the United States? What is the expected cost of one? Would a transmission with 2 or 3 gears make it go even faster or give it a higher top speed? Can you put 4 more shocks on this puppy so it can have 8? Dose it drive better in different temps? Will the motor over heat or get damaged by heat if driven in pretty hot weather (say 100 degrees F) I sand gets into the electric motor will it cause damage or problems? Is their any cleaning or special treatment that you have to do to keep the motor clean or from being damaged?

I know it is a lot of questions and I know some of them may be some easy ones but it is stuff I don't know and or don't have time to research. Thanks a head of time.

One last thing. When someone gets a chance start a mod for making a decent wheelie bar for this beast. From what I saw and read is that if you really slam the throttle on this monster that it will wheelie or even flip right over that little wheelie bar that comes with it. Thanks in advance.

You an also e-mail me at [email protected]
Anyone live Panhandle of Florida give me a shout.

if you are a beginner, this truck really isnt for you. it has insame power. if you really did want this truck though, i would recommend getting 2 cheap 6 cell ni-mh battery packs and with a good charger, they will take about an hour to charge. it will still wheely even with weak batteries like that. hot weather will affect it a little but with those batteris, you will not have to worry about it. they ARE NOT waterproof. The stock wheely bar is sufficient until you start using LiPo batteries. the 4 shocks are very good and are just fine how they are. a 2 or 3 speed transmission would not help it go much faster. Sand isn't much of an issue as the motor is sealed from dust and sand. changning batteries takes only a minute or 2. [link=http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=14]these[/link] batteries are the best non-LiPo batteries i know of and you will be able to run for around 35-45 minutes with 2 of them. You have to run 2 batteries in this truck at the same time. this truck will be released in around a week or 2. i recommend you get a infared temperatur guage and moniter the motor temperature. it should stay lower than 200F.

does that answer your many questions?

also, welcome to the forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.