Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX9 mix programming

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:23 PM
cpenfin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX9 mix programming

I just received a new DX9. Most of the programming is very intuitive. However, I have not found a way to mix throttle to elevator in the ELEVON A wing configuration. I have an electric flying wing that needs down elevator input as throttle is increased.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:54 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Very easy!

Mix to THR > LAL at the percent you want.

The manual (pg 29) explains "Back Mixing" - this is a capability which takes a single input and mixes it to two (or more) paired outputs.

When you mix to the right side, you get more of the primary control applied to both surfaces. For instance if you mix to the right aileron, you will get more aileron deflection.

When you mix to the left side, you get the controls to move together in the opposite manner. For instance, if you mix to the left aileron, you get flap-like deflection, which in your case is the elevator, instead of the aileron action you would get when mixing to the right aileron.

Back Mixing saves you mixes in complicated models, and also gives you a single point to make adjustments rather than having to remember to do it for each surface.

Andy
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
cpenfin
My Feedback: (1)

IT WORKS! I will be d****d if I know how, but it works. Those two short paragraphs on Back Mixing are very profound [I think] but leave a lot to the imagination. The DX9 is my fourth computer radio and each manual gives less and less direction and explanation. The computer radios are getting smarter [and generally easier to program] but I am not.

Thanks,

Al
Old 03-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Pattern Junkie

This thread seems to be closest to what I'm looking for on a quick google...I'm thinking of getting a DX9, and wondering if there is a "point mix" available on the program mixes (like a multi-point throttle curve). I'm hoping to be able to "fake" a VTR (variable trace ratio) curve on my ailerons. I haven't seen VTR on any recent radios (not since my Futaba 9V), but I'm sold on it. The manual seems to be very general on the subject, which is not surprising, because otherwise it would look like a Manhattan phone book.

If you're not familiar with VTR, it's similar to expo curve, only without the curve. The graph looks like a dogleg. A low linear rate to about 2/3 stick, then a very steep (also linear) rate, so that at full stick you still have full throw. Very useful for precision flying, and avoids having to flip a rate switch. It enables you to keep a constant roll rate on slow/point rolls, which is problematic when using expo.

Here's a quick primer on VTR (scroll down a bit):

http://www.rmfm.org/dual_rates_and_exponential1.htm
Old 03-01-2014, 12:50 AM
Pattern Junkie

Just a post script to the preceeding post...The old JR 622 had it too. Also, it's not useful on anything but aileron, and maybe rudder. In fact, it could be dangerous on elevator, heh.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:36 AM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by Pattern Junkie
This thread seems to be closest to what I'm looking for on a quick google...I'm thinking of getting a DX9, and wondering if there is a "point mix" available on the program mixes (like a multi-point throttle curve). I'm hoping to be able to "fake" a VTR (variable trace ratio) curve on my ailerons. I haven't seen VTR on any recent radios (not since my Futaba 9V), but I'm sold on it. The manual seems to be very general on the subject, which is not surprising, because otherwise it would look like a Manhattan phone book.

If you're not familiar with VTR, it's similar to expo curve, only without the curve. The graph looks like a dogleg. A low linear rate to about 2/3 stick, then a very steep (also linear) rate, so that at full stick you still have full throw. Very useful for precision flying, and avoids having to flip a rate switch. It enables you to keep a constant roll rate on slow/point rolls, which is problematic when using expo.

Here's a quick primer on VTR (scroll down a bit):

http://www.rmfm.org/dual_rates_and_exponential1.htm

Yes. We call it a Curve Mix, but you can turn off the curve by toggling the Expo option.

Andy
Old 03-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Pattern Junkie

Wow! Talk about a quick response! And right from the proverbial "horses mouth" too! Thanks Andy. I'll be ordering my DX9 as soon as I get the month's bills paid, and make sure I have the funds (I do, heh).

Curve mix sounds like exactly what I need, just needed to know what to call it. I won't be worrying about turning it off, but rather turning it on, at least for the ailerons. I also won't worry about it until I get the radio.

Last question: If I drop your name when ordering, is there a double-secret discount? LOL
Old 03-01-2014, 09:47 AM
AndyKunz

I wish! I'd be using it!

Andy
Old 03-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Pattern Junkie

Grrr! LAST last question: Just to clarify for my mind, the "curve mix" is available on all programmable mixes? (Sorry, incipient Altzheimer's...)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM
AndyKunz

It is available on all mixes, but Expo (smoothing the curve) is not. The details are in the manual.

Andy
Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 AM
kzimmerm

Good day all. Last night I started programming my DX9 for one of my 6 servo gliders. I breezed through the basic programming until I got to the flaps. Im guessing the issue is I'm missing a step. No matter what I did I could not get the flaps to move. The manual was not clear. Could someone identify the proper steps for programming the flaps? When in Monitor mode I don't see any movement indicated on the 2 channels assigned to the flaps.

Kurt
Old 03-21-2014, 04:34 AM
AndyKunz

You define flap action in two places. First, in Camber Presets you specify where you want them to be for each flight mode. You should see immediate behavior doing this.

Next, in Camber System, you are allowed to adjust the flaps from their preset positions using an analog input. For each flight mode you need to specify an analog input.

Andy
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 AM
kzimmerm

Thanks Andy;
I'll spend some more time with it tonight. It was late (1:30 am) by the time I called it quits. With a clearer mind I'm sure it will work. I can't wait to get out flying this season with my new radio. I'm sure it will make a huge difference in my overall control.

Kurt
Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 AM
kzimmerm

Andy just want to let you know I was successful in getting my Grand Esteem programmed. I now have set up 5 flight modes. I was also able to figure out add Crow. I'm sure I'll have more work at the field dialing it in but at least I have the major work done.
Thanks again.
Kurt
Old 03-28-2014, 06:01 AM
AndyKunz

Great news! Post a photo or video!

Andy
Old 04-29-2014, 01:59 PM
eldoubleu

Can anyone tell me why, when selecting (Sailplane Type) 2 Ail 1 Flap, I loose the ability to select Aux 2 under Rx Port Assignments.
I have air brakes/spoilers on Throttle and Aux 2 and would like to create a mix, but unable to select Aux 2 in the P-Mix.

Larry
Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM
AndyKunz

Sure - take a look at the Monitor screen. There isn't an AX2 to choose - it's MOT. When you selected 2 Ail 1 Flap, it put the left aileron on the throttle port.

It would be easier to help if you had attached the SPM file. I had to assume you had enabled the motor option on the Sailplane Type screen.

Andy
Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM
eldoubleu

First off, thanks for the reply Andy.
I did realized the change to MOT, I just thought the Rx Ports were assignable, I just don't get the logic of why it reassigned the ports and took away the option to use Aux2.
I was trying to recreate a model program in the 9 that I have been flying with my DX8. So I assigned the Throttle back to MOT and wanted to assign AUX2 to Aux2. those are the two channels on the receiver I have the Spoilers plugged into. Bottom line, I just did not want to rewire the servos to the receiver.
Hope I'm making sense,
Larry
Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM
AndyKunz

Yes, you are.

When the channel processor takes over a channel to use it for a different function, the old name goes away. When it took AX2 and changed it to MOT, AX2 ceased to exist as a functional block you can assign inputs to or mix to.

What you need to do is first create all the assignments of inputs (switches, sliders) to channel functions using the Input Assign screen. After you have that done, then go to the Rx Port Assign screen and move those functions to the ports you want them to appear on.

Now you go and do the mixing you want to the FUNCTION names, not the PORT names.

Note that you will do things like putting the AX5 function onto the AUX2 rx port to do some of this.

There are some tutorials on the RCGroups DX18 threads on how to do this. Some of them are a little dated (at one time you had to create mixes before moving channel ports, but no longer) but the principle is the same.

Andy
Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM
eldoubleu

Andy, I'm a little lost with your instructions. If I assign AUX 2 to spoilers in the channel input config screen, there is no spoiler selection in the Rx Port Assign screen.
What I'm having a hard time understanding is, if the channel processor takes over the Throttle channel to use as the Left Ail function, I still can change it back to MOT, but I can't change AUX 2 from MOT back to Aux 2

I know I can get the program to work in the DX9 same as the DX8 by starting from scratch and rewiring the receiver, but that's not my first choice.
I have attached the file from my DX8. Can you take a look and let me know if it can be duplicated in the DX9 using the same Rx inputs.

OK when I tried to upload the SPM file I get the following error:

The following errors occurred:

25FOX3M_.SPM: Invalid File

Larry
Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 AM
AndyKunz

1) DX8 will only work with DX8 files. DX9 will work with DX6, DX9, DX10t, DX18, DX18QQ, DX18G2, and DX18T files. That's why you got the error message. DX8 Sailplane is a small subset of DX9 sailplane.

2) You should go read the lengthy explanations I posted on RCG. They explain the differences between logical functions and physical receiver ports. In short, the Channel Input Assign screen allows you to pick the physical (and some logical, such as sequencer or gyro) input attached to a logical device. That is, you can assign a switch to control the function AX2 (note the missing U). The Rx Port Assign screen allows you to assign a logical function (AX2, MOT, FLP, etc) to a physical receiver port such as AUX5.

Since you have an SPM file now, can you please attach it? Rename it to .TXT so RCU accepts it (RCG allows SPM attachments, RCU does not).

Andy
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 AM
eldoubleu

Andy,
The error I mentioned was when I tried to upload to RCU, not the 9.
Thanks again for your help. I will search you out on RCG to try and get my brain to follow the logic.

As I said before I just wanted to program the 9 in a way that I didn't have to disturb the wiring in the sailplane. This way I could easily rebind back to the 8 if needed.

Attached is the spm file from the 8

Larry
Attached Files
File Type: txt
25FOX3M_.txt (10.0 KB, 1917 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 AM
AndyKunz

You don't have to change the wiring if you set it up and then use the RX Port Assign to shuffle things around. What you have is a very straightforward configuration, but you can do several things in the DX9 without using a mix.

Andy
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 AM
eldoubleu

I guess I'm still confused on the shuffle thing.

Default assignments for 2 Ail 1 Flap

OK, I reassigned 1 THRO to Motor (right spoiler) and 6 AUX1 to Left Ail. Now the question is what do I choose for 7 AUX2 to control the left spoiler that is plugged into AUX 2?

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02205.JPG
Views:	1963
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1991340   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02204.JPG
Views:	2096
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1991341  
Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 AM
AndyKunz

Aux1. Then you define your mix functions onto AX1.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.