Community
Search
Notices
JTEC / RADIOWAVE Support Get all your questions regarding JTEC/RADIOWAVE products answered here!

Another Panzl Build Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:15 PM
al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Panzl Build Thread!!!

Jason,

Congratulations!!!! We feel the same way but its hard to change pre-concived impressions. The PANZL is an awesome plane.

Have fun and enjoy

Al
Old 04-19-2006, 03:59 PM
extratorker
My Feedback: (8)

Jason, glad to hear your happy. Sometimes I feel like I'm turning a little blue in the face trying to explain how well this plane flys to people. Quick question, do you have any close up's of your canopy install? It looks real clean and since I'm building #2 right now just wondering what you did. Also, did you get a weight on yours?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
extratorker

Nevermind on the canopy thing, just found your pics in the beginning of the thread.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

good to hear the maiden went so well. Keep us up to date on how you like it. I try to tell everyone how well the Panzl flies compared to a extra 330 and no one wants to believe me until they actually own one.

Now put some damn wheel pants on it!!!!!!
Wheel pants schmeel pants... they'll mess up the nice CG!!!

Don't get me wrong... the Extra flies well and I enjoy it... I will be keeping it because I think it is the perfect back-up plane... it flies very similar yet slightly different... it has a different look and color scheme so I can use it when I want a yellow break, it snaps awesome, flies IMAC very well... all good stuff.

Extratorker,

I didn't weigh it. I don't think I'm going to... it flies very well. I used the lightest of everything and added a slight amount of weight in the motor box and landing gear plate... well worth it to me. The SWB mount weghs the same as the wood I cut off... nothing extra there. Kavan wheels, Titanium axles, light rudder tray (the SWB tiller was actually lighter than the Airwild... the weight savings is all in the tray), carbon wing and stab tubes, Titanium tailwheel, 2400 LiIon batteries... all the good stuff. I did all I can.

The yellow vinyl around the canopy is 3M stuff that my LHS used for cutting vinyl graphics... very nice pliable stuff.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Silly, when you get the time can you measure the exit hole for your pull pull
Andy
Old 04-30-2006, 07:26 PM
sillyness

When I get home I will. I'll be in Greenland until May 6th.

If I remember right, the cable passes just behind the wood that forms the elevator servo cutouts.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks, I got out some straight edges and figured it out to be in the same area.
Andy
Old 05-05-2006, 01:44 PM
sillyness

Thread and tape work like champs too... and no cumbersome rulers.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:09 PM
sillyness

Does the Panzl need a hole cut in the cowl for the DA-100 carb to breath? I haven't been able to fly it much since noone has been at the field (won't fly alone) but the engine was pretty rich in the midrange... idled and full throttle are fine, except it will load up if left idleing or when taxiing out... takes a few seconds to get the power up.

How far is too far in on the low needle? I flew it last at about 1 1/4 turn, and next I will try 1 1/8 turn. I don't want to burn it up running the low needle too lean... I've heard you can do this with ZDZs...

I am at sea level and the engine has 4 gallons through it (still running lawnboy at 32:1) in another airframe.... did OK in there but I had to run the low end pretty lean in that plane too (to get rid of the midrange loading).
Old 05-08-2006, 10:08 AM
al

Jason,

No you don't need to open the cowl for the carb. Set your needles back to factory settings. The DA will act a little rich when cold and first starting out but should clear out . I'd talk to the guys at DA for advice. any adjustments on the carb should be in very small increments (1/16 turn) basically you are looking for a smooth transition through the midrange

Al
Old 05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
sillyness

Al,

Thanks for your help. I pulled out my manual again and read through... the very last paragraph was the answer. When I looked through muffler can relief I cut in the cowl I could see the atmospheric vent hole on the carb... I was having pressure problems.

Digging through my stuff I found an RCBlimp Carb plate he sent me for free when I bought a couple tailwheels (you didn't here this from me!!!) and I bolted that on last night. Today the difference was night and day... I actually had to richen the low end back up... the mid range was very clear (for lawnboy). I'm a happy camper now. I guess since most of the other guys out there are using cans they wounldn't run into the problem (no cuts in the cowl). So... factory setting was 1 3/8 on the low end, I'm at about 1 2/8... a whole 1/8 turn in (sarcasm). Pretty close I'd say. She is idling very slow and sweet sounding and not loading up at all on take-off, and with my well balanced prop there is very little vibration... the surfaces don't even jiggle at idle. I am very happy.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
sillyness

Oh yeah... I should tell you about the plane a little, eh?

After 4 flights it is flying wonderfully. I've got the CG about as far aft as I would want for IMAC... just about perfect. I may move it forward slighty... I think just bolting the spinner cone on would do the trick (though I'm using a Pete's Model spinner... very light). I GUESS I could put the wheel pants on... sigh.

Anyway, after I sorted out the right direction for the aileron mix (laugh, go ahead) I have rudder mixed to about 4% opposite aileron and 7% up elevator... works great for both rudder directions. Flat turns are just that... flat. Very little correction needed. I don't think I'll need a curved mix for rudder-elevator... seems very linear. I do need a little aileron differential... waiting for a calmer day to do that.

As for the manuevers: Wow are the ailerons powerful!!! Of course I have 2 x 5955 per side (mainly for the Ti gears and because I got them on the cheap), but still tons of authority!!! It is a very noticable difference going from 1 x 8611 to 2 x 5955s... much more expo required. So far I am liking the 5955s better than the 8611s, and I am also liking my split aileron setup. Read back in the thread for details.

Holy crap this thing can wrap up in blender... I had it spinning inverted with a couple clicks of throttle so tight I thought it was a foamy or a profile at 3/4 throttle!... and it was hardly losing altitude!!! Incredible!!! Waterfalls are awesome... again... I could do waterfalls all day and hardly lose any altitude with very little power used... just little blips when the nose is down... it just hangs in the air on the wings and fuse.

IMAC stuff seems pretty darned good... I am rusty (like I said... 4 flights since last year) but it seems really nice. It goes pretty deep into snaps, but I think my throws are a bit much right now... I'll tame the rudder and elevator a bit and see how she goes. Spins are very nice... it has a nice noticable nose drop and gives you plenty of time to pick the spin direction with the rudder. I hope I still get the nose drop when I dial the elevator down for spins... other wise I might have to use a flight mode switch!!! I just need to sort out differential and throws and I think she'll be a monster!!!

Landings... sweet. I do a little rudder wag just prior to the threshold to bleed off the speed I saved for a dead-stick and then it lands very slow, usually touch down tail-wheel first with a little power and it stops in 10-20 feet on the grass... can't ask for more there. Awesome.

Al and Kevin... thanks for a great plane. With careful upkeep I hope it will last me many years. I'll try to turn some Candians in the area your way... if I can get them away from the Aeroworks sponsored guys prancing around. Suckers. One suggestion... ship some Radiowave vinyl with your planes... practically free advertising!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:00 PM
jtec radiowave kid

Jason thanks for the kind words and the good build thread. I hope you enjoy the Panzl and make sure if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
sillyness

Thanks man
Old 05-08-2006, 07:30 PM
sillyness

Actually I do have a question... the lawnboy doesn't seem to want to come off the Pearlescant (sp?) Ultracote with my standard rubbing alcohol... any suggestions on how to clean this stuff?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

try some strate gas.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 PM
jtec radiowave kid

I have heard of people using staight gasoline but I generally spray carb cleaner into a paper towel and then wipe the covering down if I need to.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:31 PM
sillyness

I'll have to pick some up. Hard to beleive that stuff won't damage covering.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
extratorker

Try CA accelerator.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 AM
al

409 the green stuff,

you want something that will cut through greese and oil

Al
Old 05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
sillyness

I stil ahven't cleaned it off... but it's strange... it's like the covering is pourous. The oil wipes off all the other covering fine, just not the yellow stuff.

Got 3 more flights today, doing IMAC trimming and the Sportsman sequence... the Panzl makes it easy... might have to move up to keep it interesting.

I ran through a trimming program... thrust is perfect, elevator alignment perfect, lateral balance is good, needs some negative differential with right aileron only, downlines are straight... what's supposed to take 50-70 flights might be done in 10!

Best of all... I just finished the 5th gallon on the motor... I have some H1R sitting here waiting to be burned... time to awaken the beast!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:24 AM
al

Jason,

You mentioned differential, 5 degrees on the Ailerions with a meter not % in the transmitter. It will bring the rolls right in. You may want to cut down on the rudder for IMAC snaps. I think that and the Diff will bring the snaps right in.

The Yellow is Pearl ultracote. you may want ot contact Horizon and see what gives if your having a hard time cleaning it.

Enjoy and get us some pictures

AL
Old 05-10-2006, 02:22 PM
sillyness

Thanks I'll try it.

I reduced my rudder and the snaps were much better... also took a percent off the elevator... might put that back in.
We'll see.

There are finsihed at the field post-maiden pics on page 2 of this thread... haven't got any hero shots yet.

Thanks for the support!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:46 AM
extratorker

d
Old 05-12-2006, 08:47 AM
sillyness

Sorry... I've only seen one video I downloaded at work (dial-up at home... friggen country living)... just kidding man! I guess I shouldn't poke fun at people I don't really know... my bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.