Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

KingTech Turbines and its oils

Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

KingTech Turbines and its oils

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 03:47 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Warbirdsforever
Silly question .. I would assume Kingtech doesn’t own a refinery. So what is the source of their oil.. and the basis two stroke or whatever? I wonder do they know more than Shell or Mobile ...of course those giant turbine folks have pressure oil systems. Not what we have in tiny turbines.. I run 560 and jet A both available at airport or BP if Aeroshell. not available.. both approved by Kingtech.

shell makes kingtech oil and Barry distributes it. While 560 will work it’s not near as good as kingtech oil since 560 is was not intended to be burnt off after leaving the bearings. I was one of the first to use 560 and after sending it in for its 25 hour service it was clear kingtech oil cokes up less. That being said 560 will still work.

The draw backs are. It will not stay mixed so if it’s been sitting you need to shake your fuel can.

Its caustic (I’m an aircraft mechanic so hate dealing with the stuff when I’m not at work)

no anti static

more expensive.

Less lubrication

added coking.

But it does work.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

So what is this brown stuff in the bottom of the KingTech oil jug? At first I thought it was dirt on the outside bottom. I shook up another jug and it seemed to dissolve back into the oil.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:11 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I added a tad of algiecide to my half empty gallon because it looked like yours, look at the end of this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...questions.html
Old 09-24-2019, 04:02 AM
gunradd

Not sure what that is... The oil should stay suspended. How old is that oil? I think we are on Version 3 or 4 now of improvement's on the oil. The new stuff I think has a different color then the old stuff.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:48 AM
lovemykoko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noticed the same stuff in my 2 month old oil, at first it looked like its on the outside of the jug, but it's not, it will dissolve back in the oil when agitate the jug,it will take a fair amount of agitating however.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:57 PM
causeitflies

Originally Posted by gunradd
Not sure what that is... The oil should stay suspended. How old is that oil? I think we are on Version 3 or 4 now of improvement's on the oil. The new stuff I think has a different color then the old stuff.
Not sure how old the oil is or even how many jugs I may have used that were newer. It says ver 2 on the label.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:33 PM
CARS II

Here is my 1/2 empty gallon after using algiecide nearly a month ago.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:35 PM
CARS II

Mine gallon still looking clear.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:10 AM
causeitflies

Originally Posted by CARS II
Mine gallon still looking clear.
I put some Biopor in a full jug that had some brown in it. we'll see how it does. I always put some in the fuel but never thought I would have to put it in the oil.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:26 AM
gunradd

I have some sitting in my trailer. I’m going to be close to it Friday and try and get some of the oils and check them.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Rileys
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My K140 G2 First Run Awesome!!
running Jet-A1 with 5% kingtech's special blend oil mixture,
i made short bench test video, check it out guys!
Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 PM
CARS II

Congrats! Now go fly that thing
Old 02-21-2020, 04:21 AM
jetrichie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil topic seems to come up regular at flying field and on forums, I would try the kingtech oil if I could get it, even the kingtech europe dealer dosnt have it anymore on his site, when I got my first turbine 15yrs ago all we used was the blue mobil jet oil and it stained everything, fuel pipes and tanks all turned brown and caused lots of carbon build up in combustion chamber.
Later I have used other oils jetcat brand, telus, BP and for last 8yrs or so DTE lite
from my use with jetcats, wrens, jet munt I havnt had any issues, my fuel system is nice and clean and contrary to what is being said about bearing noise I am getting longer now between bearing change.
Not under warantee I let them go until I start to hear bearing noise, I have just got used to the sound from experience, normally you start to hear it on cool down first.
The first P80 I had needed bearings at 23hrs, it was an old engine bought secondhand so decided to do it myself, bearings were black, combustion chamber was badly coked up, (as was ran most of its life on mobile jet oil) fitted new bearings, cleaned combustion chamber with an ultrasonic type cleaner, unblocked one needle, rebuilt it and sent it to be core balanced, presently has 33hrs since bearing change DTE lite since service and no sign of needing any bearings yet.
So dont understand why kingtech dont recommend it unless they use a different bearing to the normal GRW but happily send my 140 in at 20yrs if that is what is needed to keep warrantee so I can continue to use the same oil in all my turbines.