Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Simething Extra build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Simething Extra build

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM
sideoftheroad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well folks I guess this build has come to an end. Haha. http://youtu.be/RjNd5O5CjXw
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	2015662   Click image for larger version

Views:	53
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2015663  
Old 07-19-2014, 06:34 PM
sideoftheroad

lol. I'm going to talk to Spektrum about having them look at my transmitter. I've had signal loss on 3 planes/receivers. Anyone heard of any issues with the old DX7 (non S)
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 AM
davevh

Oh man, that blows. Sorry for your loss :-(

Any plans to rebuild, seems like the flight was going well up to that point?

Not to get into any Spektrum wars/bashing, but when I had my JR Xp9303 with module, I always had weird glitches (no lockouts, thankfully). Possibly this was because it was DSM 2 and still in its infancy. Did you have failsafe enabled to go to idle throttle, because in the video it sounded like it went in WOT? Was the receiver battery checked for capacity (not voltage, that does not mean much)? If the battery was faulty/old its possible too much current was drawn (maybe servo binding?) causing a brownout and reboot.

Only total control failures I have had in 22 years of flying was a 9CH multiplex receiver failure (non-2.4 GHZ), and luckily it happened during a low hover with my Nitro chopper, and interference using a Futaba (my fault, it was an American receiver, and in South Africa the cops and ambulances would broadcast on those frequencies). Was NOT a good feeling. So far I have had good luck with 2.4 on my Hitec Aurora 9, but everyone seems to have good luck on their platform of choice until they don't, so brand wars don't mean much.

Hope you figure out the fault,

Dave

Last edited by davevh; 07-20-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM
sideoftheroad

I have an AR6200 RX with the throttle servo reversed. If I had a brownout that could explain what sounded like an increase in throttle at the end of the video as the throttle would go to a wide open position. Our club Pres. who was the pilot (and a electrical engineer by trade) checked the battery out when we brought the plane back to the table. The battery was reading around 5.2. I don't think there's rebuilding this one. I am thinking about the Sig Somethin' Extra ARF that Sig is currently taking pre orders for and also looking at buying another SSE kit. Here's a couple other pics another member took.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	48
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	2015817   Click image for larger version

Views:	41
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	2015818  
Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If u rebuild. Make the rudder bigger with more counterbalance. Reenforce stab and fin with 1/8" carbon rod or flat bar of same thickness of the tail feathers just ahead of the hinges (and toss out the heavy flying wires.) Make all control surfaces (ailerons elvator n rudder) from firm stick construction. This will significantly reduce tail weight. I shaped mine closely to a funtana tail. Was EXCELLENT!! Also toss the stock gear get some good fiber ones. I just used the dubro white fiber one and drilled holes to lighten... these gear gave the height needed for the 3d prop on the 82..

Also do what u can to lighten the wings. Drill uniform holes in all ribs and use 225mg servos. I managed to get mine down to 5.25 lbs with a saito 82. I loved it. Got probably 500+ flights untill I sold it and moved on to 50cc stuff...