Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

OS .46 Next Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

OS .46 Next Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Cycotravlr

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default OS .46 Next Build

I have an OS.46 needing to be installed in something. I would like to start my next build and use this engine. I want to build a Balsa, High Wing, Tail Dragger, kit. This will be my 3rd build. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goldberg Cub
Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 AM
Cycotravlr

Cubcrasher,

Question.....I noticed that you are a member of the Sig Brotherhood, yet you recommended the Goldberg Cub rather than the Sig Cub. Would you care to give me your reason behind this choice?

Thank you for your reply,
Old 05-12-2014, 10:15 AM
cubcrasher

Hey PSB,
I'm a sig man and a cub fan. The only sig cubs i have built is the 1/4 scale. I haven't built the 1/5
scale yet, but I will someday. The Goldberg Cub was my second plane way back when. Over the years
I have built a ton of them. It will be a good kit to build your skills on. The tail section will be a little challenging
because of the parts fit, but this will only enhance your building skills. I would clip the wings. The plans show you
how to do this. With that 46 and a clipped wing you will not be let down. Heres a little clipped wing action with a
Magnum 70 four stroke.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0064.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1994748  
Old 05-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Cycotravlr

Cubcrasher,

I think I will build the SIG 1/6 scale J3 Cub. It's 2 Lbs. lighter and will probably be slightly tougher to build. Thank you for your comments.

Perry
Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM
cubcrasher

Good deal, keep us posted. We like us some cubs.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A cub is a cub and they all fly pretty much the same. SIG, Great Planes and Goldberg all have a nice kit but out of all of them the CG cub has the strongest wing. Not a big deal. It also comes in tail heavy so keep the aft section as light as you can. I have built all three and don't recall much about the other two but I do remember the GP cub was the easiest one to build. Last one I built was a few years ago and even with an OS .91 fs it was still tail heavy. .91 was way over kill but it's what the fellow I built it for had on hand. It's used for both land and as a float plane.
My question would be why a high wing? SIG has a lot of very nice 40 size planes to chose from besides a Cub, all of them are nice builds and great planes.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Cycotravlr

Gray Beard,

High Wing.....This will be my 3rd build. I have all ready built a SIG LT-40, and a SIG Mid-Star-40. Both are powered with an O.S. 46II. I no longer have the LT-40 due to an unfortunate mishap, but I do still have the .46. I want to build a Cub that I will be able to change from regular landing gear to Floats and/or Skis. Also, I like the look of Taildraggers.

Perry
Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cubs with 2-strokes? No thanks. Just don't sound right.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Gray Beard

Last cub I built was for a friend and he wanted it for the most part to be a float plane. We did all the test and trim flights from land then he put it on floats. Looked great but on the first flight it wouldn't lift from water. The step was correct but he didn't put in the couple of degrees of incidence needed. Once he put in some angled shims under the front float mounts with 3 degrees of positive incidence it took right off.
Between the three kits the Goldberg is the strongest but that's why it weighs more. I'm a four stroke guy myself but the cub I built for myself used an OS .46 and it was fine. Later on I did install an OS .70fs and that was even better but I fly planes, not sound. I just used the cub to break in and tune the .70 for another plane I had built. It was a good combo though.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Cycotravlr

I have a Saito .91 waiting to be installed in a Sig Hog-Bipe that I haven't built yet. I thought I needed more building and flying skills first.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Gray Beard

Well, I installed the OS .91 in the cub for that fellow but it was the only engine he had on hand. He figured that as a float plane the added power would help with getting it off the water, it didn't. The set up is everything but it did help me to set up my first float plane and do things correctly. That and some help from guys on RCU. The cub with a .91 never gets flown with more then 1/4 throttle or it looks stupid going that fast and there is no real power needed for take off. It may help on water take offs but once the set up was corrected I saw no need for the extra power. It did help a bunch for getting a CG without adding a of of lead. Just keep anything aft of the CG as light as you can make it. Cubs are a fun plane and they are a good build. Out of the three kits I do like the CG or SIG better then the GP kit. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:30 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a GP 40 sized clipped wing cub and put a 52 4-stroke on it. It flies great, but it could use more power on up line for loops etc. I have a Goldberg 40 size with full length wing and a 70 4-stroke. It has more power than you could use, probably perfect for float take-offs. I flew my clipped wing on skis this last winter, and it was great fun. The skis reduced the tendency to ground loop on take-offs. Very cool planes for slow fly-by.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:40 AM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi
stay away from hazel sig clipped wing cub 1/6 scale. terrible flyer and wing attachment weird and tricky.
gb anniversary is a very good choice

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer