Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Extra 300S .40 Kit Stab Warp

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Extra 300S .40 Kit Stab Warp

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 11:27 PM
FletchNJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Extra 300S .40 Kit Stab Warp

I am building my first kit, and so far it is going very well. I covered the Stab and Elev early, as these were great practice parts, and easily made from scratch if I screwed them up too badly.

The covering went on well, but I now have a warp in the Stab, and my left Elev is warped up, and the right Elev warped down. I never looked down the leading edges before covering them, but both layed flat on the table, and lined up with all of my straight edges.

I have seen where in other posts where MonoKote may warped the parts, and re-shrinking may be able to take it out. Any tips on doing this? Should I use weights, etc.?

Thanks a million!
Old 01-12-2004, 09:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: GP Extra 300S .40 Kit Stab Warp

What would be better would be to get an assistant. One of you bend the stab opposite to the warp (With gloves on!) while the other hit it with a heat gun.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:19 AM
FletchNJ

Default RE: GP Extra 300S .40 Kit Stab Warp

Thanks Mike, I assume I heat the side I need the wing to warp TO. For example, if the tip warps down, I heat the upper surface? I assume that I am shrinking the Monokote on that side to draw it up?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2004, 01:11 PM
300s nut

Default RE: GP <span class=

Just a little imput. DON'T FORGET TO WEAR GLOVES! It really burns if you dont! You are correct in heating ther other side to bring out the warp. If it doesn't work you will want to strip off the covering and start over: Monokote will only shrink to some extent. you may have already shrunk as much as bossible. Later.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:21 PM
FletchNJ

Default RE: GP <span class=

After sitting for a day, the warp is only on the right side and is probably less than 1/8"

Am I getting too picky? Seems that the heatgun should take care of this with no probs. Thanks for the tip on the gloves!