Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 AM
dumorian
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

I did a bit more work on my first wing. I've included a few images. You can see in the dowel plate area I added some triangle stock to increase strength there. You can also see that I have increased the aileron area by 4 bays. These four bays will be for the flaps. I also added the additional servo mount areas. I really didn't like depending on 3/32 balsa as support around the servo openings, so I also boxed in the perimeter. I shouldn't need to be quite as careful handling the wings with this addition. Also, you can see that I ran a bit of light ply from the sides of the strut mount blocks to the adjacent rib and added a bit of balsa on this other rib as a glue point. I plan to put this model through the paces and am expecting the struts to have some stress on them. These blocks should now be able to withstand a pretty good force during either an upright or inverted loop.

So far, I plan to run a 40cc gasser on it, so I'll have plenty of power which means I'm not worrying quite so much about weight. The engine planned is a CRRC Pro 40cc, which weighs just under 3 pounds. One of the best power per weight ratio gassers I've found that don't cost a fortune.

I have since taking those photos, sheeted the wings and now only need to add the 1/4 x 3/32 strips to the tops of the ribs. Also I noted that the plans do not show one of these strips on the tip rib. I'm not so sure how you're supposed to trace the wing shape onto the balsa wing tip block without these so I'm going to add those as well. Once done with these bits and the trimming, I'll move on to the next wing and get it caught up to this one. I want to do both wing tips at the same time so as to get a better match. Also, doing both ailerons and both flaps at the same time should keep me on the same track with those better. I'm sort of anxious to get those wing tips done as that outboard rib looks awfully fragile and requires some special attention when moving the wing about.

I think I might do a slightly less rounded but more straight angled shape to those wing tips... leaving a bit of a flat area on the tip of the tip. LOL! This should make covering go a lot better. Not so much pulling, tugging and struggling to get a nice job around those curves. The photos a few post back of the real Decathlon seemed to look a bit more like this, so there's my excuse for doing it this way. I REALLY like the looks of that plane. I might have to copy those graphics, just using my pearl white in place of the yellow and my orange in place of the blue.

As for the quality of my build... well the leading edge looks really good. The aileron trailing edge has a bit of a bow to it across three of the ribs. Crud! The wing however does lay pretty well on the wing jig even with nothing holding it down so I'm all in all pretty satisfied. I just wish that one bow wasn't in it but I don't see any easy cure for that. Maybe I can pull it a bit with the covering. I'm feeling pretty good though for my second build and first large model from a kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76493.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1106756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90473.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1106757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81754.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1106758  
Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM
rsad

Dumorian,

One post back you mentioned that you were going through CA fast.................. In those big areas where you use lots of CA, use tightbond staggered with the CA. I have never had a problem with that method. I kind of use the CA to hold everything while the tightbond dries......................if you're not in a rush.

BTW, there is Gorilla CA at home depot now......seems to work pretty well
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
pmahc

hi gang I was wanting to know will the g38 fit completely inside the cowl?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM
P40 Maniac
My Feedback: (15)

Just fitting cowl on mine now with a G-38 Had to notched for cylinder head and for carb on mine can post picture if need.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 AM
P40 Maniac

Here are some pictures.

Name:	Mk26377.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1107413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66219.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1107414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72288.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1107415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97582.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1107416  
Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 PM
mikem99

Hi All!

I plan on starting my Dynaflite Super Decathlon soon, (next month, I have had the kit now for over a year) I was wondering if anyone had any pics of this kit with a Quadra 35 or 42 (US41) installed?
I have a Quadra 42 (US41) and originally I was going to instal a Brilelli 46. However I have another use for the Brilelli and It will free up the Quadra 42.
Any pics or comments will be much appreciated

Mike
Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 PM
beepee

Mike,

Sorry no pics, but I put a Quadra 42 in the nose of mine and it was pretty straightforward. You need the usual standoff to get the (standard) muffler off the firewall. The spinner backplate ends up in about the right spot when you are done. There is some cutting on the cowl to clear the carb, but you just kinda have to feel yourself around that on.

Good luck,

Bedford
Old 01-12-2009, 03:14 AM
beepee

Mike,

I thought about it again and dug up a grainy shot of my cowl (sorry for the poor quality). After looking at it I remember the cooling fin cut out. Unfortunately the black finish makes it hard to see. Fortunately the black finish hids the cutouts. All depends on how you look at things I suppose.

Have fun with it!

Bedford

Name:	Hf97716.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1109014  
Old 01-12-2009, 09:27 PM
mikem99

Thanks for the fast reply BeePee. Your pics looked great. I would love to see more of your plane with that color. Looked really nice.
I noticed your address, in the UAE. I was in Qatar for a few months late last year. It was a good experience and I saw some awesome
jets flying as well as a large 42% Extra with a DA 150 on it. The Chap that flew the 42% was an expert pilot. They have a model airplane airport
out in the middle of the desert, paved runway and a club house.

All the best

Mike
Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 PM
beepee

Mike,

Ya gotta love the way these guys in the Middle East take this hobby! The field I know here in Dubai has a great big smooth paved runway with volumes of fly over area. Sadly, the jets are banned because they disturb the camels (very valuable race camels), but no matter, that is not my side of the hobby. Sadly too, they have no club house, which is going shorten the season a bit come the hotter weather. No complaints. It is PERFECT for at least 7 months out of the year. I have only been here since October and left all my fleet back home (too big for my little sedan). I am looking for something to buy here so that I can keep my skills intact, but have been awfully busy.

Here are a couple of more shots of my SD. I saw the prototype at Oshkosh (my one and only trip to Mecca) in '01 and fell in love with the color scheme. It is perfect for in flight visibility! Looks great on the ground too. I covered in in all white Solartex and painted with rattle can Rustoleum. Very satisfying result so long as you don't look too closely.

Hope the uploads work (2nd try) ...

Have fun with your SD,

Bedford

Name:	Bz78099.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1109732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87070.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1109733  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
box car

Come on guys don't let this build die. I started to build my today. I am going to cover mine with vinyl, very low cost cover and tuff. I am going to make mine a bush plane with them big tires. Here on the farm there is no telling what we will be taking off on, some times high grass and some times we just go out on the dirt road. I will be putting a 41cc up front for power, maybe I will put a big-o set of 5" air tires on her feet.
Ken
Old 01-15-2009, 09:32 PM
mikem99

Keep us up to date Ken, Post some pics so that we can follow your progress.

I am curious about the vinyl covering that you are going to use. What is this stuf? Who Makes it?

All the best

Mike
Old 01-16-2009, 08:23 PM
gdeezer

SD Builders,
I am currently building a Super Decathlon and I plan to power it with a Brison 2.4. I have a question for those who have built this plane with an electronic ignition gasser. How did you mount your battery and electronics through the firewall? Also I have a concern about building the tank into the plane under the front deck. Usually if you build a component that can fail with no access then it will fail. How did you guys do it?

Gdeezer
Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 PM
P40 Maniac

I put my ignition unit under fuel tank with a hatch to get into it. Going to put battery along fuel tank.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 AM
dumorian
My Feedback: (6)

After major work related interruptions, I got back to my Decathlon! In the last week I've only done 'tiny' stuff... like forming the T.E. of the rudder! LOL! Anyway, finally this evening I flipped the plan and started on the second wing. At the moment, I'm up to the point where the epoxy is setting under the plywood shear webs. So, a couple more ribs, the trailing edge top spar and a few more bits.... it'll be time to flip this wing. As with everyone else, the second wing is going much faster. I guess the parts prep from the first wing, figuring out what goes where, knowing what's going to need a bit of attention and being past the part where I needed to decide where and how on my mods all adds up to moving on. Tomorrow, I might actually get as far as sheeting it all. I haven't done the L.E. balsa strip on either wing... so there's that... and forming it and then I'll get to do my wing tips! YeeeHaaaa!

Meanwhile, it has come time to work out the engine and get one here! Online shopping time again.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
EL TEMUCANO

Hi all,

I would like to change my Decathlon in the installation of the wing. I've seen something like this on the website.

please think, I hope their views.....

Name:	Ig11029.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1112661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65444.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1112662  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:08 PM
stevo revo

I just thought I'd post a few of my mods to share with you guys. I opted to do a "inside" wing bolt setup instead of the kit "top down' way. That way I could put in a top hatch with a skylight in it. I also have made provisions to use the wing tube, or I can also leave it out. I used two 3/8 dowels for alignment, and two 8-32 screws per wing. I am going to build my wing struts functional....... so I won't need the tube if i choose not to use it.

I had to cut a few new formers to build all this. I just posted the pics that are nessecary to view this. I have a bunch more pics that show the rib formers and such.

I am not done with fuse yet..... I still have a lot of bracing to do and the hatch to build (among other things).

Enjoy the pics! I'm happy to see this thread alive and buzzing with builders!!!! I'm having a blast building mine. Hope everyone else is too!

Name:	Mk24837.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1112690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40520.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1112691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13394.jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1112692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39664.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1112693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96725.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1112694  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:18 PM
EL TEMUCANO

YES YES YES YES

you're my new idol, JAJAJAJAJA, my next plane trip and what you have done is precisely what I THINK do.

Put all your photos
Old 01-17-2009, 12:20 PM
stevo revo

As long as I'm tossing up pics I thought I'd post a few of my wing mods too. I planked the tips like someone in the thread did earlier. Also I showed a few of the extra wing components. I'm shooting for a scale look on the struts. I'm following cruzmissle's pics from wayyyyyyyyy back in the thread as how to the full scale strut mounts are.

I like his line of thought on this build. I'm also going for a scale look.....

Name:	Ax72860.jpg
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1112702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19658.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1112703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20047.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1112704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13194.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1112705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19250.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1112706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm83195.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1112707  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:30 PM
EL TEMUCANO

You said: OS 1.60............ someone has to be using it with sucess in this plane. Anyone like to give any input? By specs it puts out more hp than any gas engine 35cc and under.... and weighs 2 pounds less.

Whell, I'm going to put a Super Tigre G 2300 bombing and carburetor perry. What do you think about.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:36 PM
stevo revo

and............. heres some of the formers I made. The main one for the fuse is just a direct copy of the wing saddle, but instead of having a cutout, it has the profile of a wing rib on it. The sheeting I use for the top hatch will blend with wing sheeting.

Also If you look next to fuse on table, these are 4 pieces of 1/8 ply creating four more ribs. One is used on outside of fuse where wing bolts on. The other is used on the wing, where it butts up to fuse.

Name:	Om32894.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1112724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96268.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1112725  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM
EL TEMUCANO

thank you very much, I have served much your photos, this is really a very heavy kit, so we have to try to alleviate.
We also buy the kit was float 1 / 4 scale of the sig, which I have to build together with the plane for mounting the bindings before monokote.

If my English is not good, sorry, all used Google translator.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:05 PM
EL TEMUCANO

Actually there are several changes I want to do,

Build doors and windows mobile,
Trying to hide the fuel tank,
and to play more at low speed it will flap (not scale).

On the picture you can see the front of the plane. But the f2, i dont like to see a lot of wood through the windshield. I must change that.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Cristian Hott

He stevo revo, nice job. You will attach the wings turning the screws by a removible top hatch or screwing it from down across the doors?
regards, c h
Old 01-17-2009, 06:41 PM
box car

Hi Mike sorry I took so long to get back to you. Vinyl is what came on a lot of ARF planes when they first came out. It is self-adhesive so you only need a heat gun to tighten it up. It comes in many colors. I buy 10 yd. x 24" rolls for $18.
Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.