Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Extra 300

see if this is the manual for it. Sorry I do not have any of the plans.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rp44823.pdf (1.47 MB, 97 views)
Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When the thread comes up several of us always look to see what is going on. No PDF plans from me. The instruction book was a down load from Towers web site though. Maybe one of the guys will have them for you.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

The instruction book was a down load from Towers web site though.
It still is.

Karol
Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Gray Beard

Once I tossed the instructions and plans, I knew better then to toss them again so I still have everything. I haven't been on the site in years so wasn't sure if they were still there or not? Thanks Karol. I see no one has the plans on file though. I almost had them put on disc last time I had them copied but that was more money then I wanted to spend on top of the copy.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is just what I was looking for as I'm rebuilding a CG Extra. A good friend, since passed on put me in charge of disolving his airplane collection last May, the Extra was one of the many he had. It was built fairly decent and flown, but suffered some damage from a sudden return to Mother Earth ( my guess). Nothing real serious, so after looking at it for almost a year I decided to bring it back in it's full glory, totally redoing the entire plane. The lightness and seemingly fragility of the airframe is apparent, but I'm leaving it as it was built.
I'm not sure what was on it for power, but a new Saito 1.20 is hanging from the firewall now. A severe "twist" has been removed from the right wing, and it's just about ready for covering. A good friend (that had one of these) still had a couple of pieces I could use, a nice glass gear and the canopy, two items I quickly put to use.
I'm covering it in red, white and blue Monokote, the fuselage is all done. I plan to name it BOAZ, I think Bob would like that.
I'll post some pics when we "maiden" it coming soon, that's if my shop plans go as I'm hoping.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Gray Beard

Light?????????? Are you sure it is the CG Extra you have??? CG Extra and Light can not be said in the same breath?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, This Extra 300 I'm rebuilding seems very-(pause for a breath)-light.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 AM
colmo-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, guys, I just finished my Extra, about 15 years after my dad built two of them. Back then he wouldn't let me fly them, but I was gracious enough to let him fly mine today. It is still the amazing plane I remember, and it weighs 9.5 lbs with a YS 120 SF in front and fiberglass cowling. We flew the other ones in Bogota, a 8300 feet, and now I live in abu dhabi. It is amazing the unlimited vertical I got with a 15x7 3-blade. I hope you guys like...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21591.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1882174  
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Sweet...... Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM
karolh

It never ceases to amaze me when someone flies a Goldberg Extra for the very first time just how surprised they usually are at it's simply impeccable flying manners, which for a kit model which is now decades old says waves about the original design.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

colmo-RCU Nice plane and I too thank you for sharing

The more a person flies the GB Extra it seem's the better it gets. I was able to pick up a partial built fuse with a glass cowling for next to nothing, Since I still have 1-2 sets of plans and the rib lay out I can scratch the rest of it W/O much trouble. I also have the 120 YS-SC in my flying model and feel it is a great combo.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:37 AM
swify

I have an Extra 300 under constuction, plan to use an OS 120 on it and likely will finish it with koverall and dope. Have been considering going with a dual servo set up for the elevator, don't really like the push rod set up on the plans.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Cyberwolf

Swifty that is what I did with mine, I moved all the the servos back to the last bay which made the CG dead on. The weak and flimsy Y control rods won't hold a smaller size engine let alone a 120 size.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM
karolh

Guess I've been lucky as my 18 year old Extra/G23 combo uses the stock split wire elev. pushrod arrangement and so far so good.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Gray Beard

I use two servos on mine and the last one I built but I have also used the split Y single servo on several of them without any problem over the years. I used carbon fiber arrow shafts to make up the single rod. To date I have never had one fail. My servos are mounted in the bay behind the back of the canopy. I do question the use of Koverall on this plane but only because they are already heavy. I'm not a weight watcher like some guys but I do avoid it as much as I can. Mine has flown with both the OS 120fs and the YS 120. Last one I built a YS 140 was used.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Twin_Flyer

Recently got one of these planes framed up but unfinished.

Was planning a DLE 20 in it, but I also have an OS 120 Surpass with pump and a YS 120 looking for a home. leaning to the gasser as it will less expensive to fly later.

What are you guys putting the CG? where is called for? What about Air/Elev throws?

What about the stock landing gear? Use it or go with an aftermarket one, if one is still made today. Not keen on that balsa glued to the skinny wires look...

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
karolh

Mine started out with a ST.61 and needless to say the flight performance was nothing to write home about but it flew ok. Then came a ASP .75 which gave a bit more umph, but to me something was still missing so I installed a ST.90 which gave the Extra a nice performance. Finally switching to a EI G23 gasser swinging a 16x8 prop with an AUW of 9.75 lbs. is what really made the model come alive while still retaining all of it's initial great flying qualities but making the model much more capable.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

Recently got one of these planes framed up but unfinished.

Was planning a DLE 20 in it, but I also have an OS 120 Surpass with pump and a YS 120 looking for a home. leaning to the gasser as it will less expensive to fly later.

What are you guys putting the CG? where is called for? What about Air/Elev throws?

What about the stock landing gear? Use it or go with an aftermarket one, if one is still made today. Not keen on that balsa glued to the skinny wires look...

Thanks,
Bill S.
Bill,
Either of those engines would be great in this Extra.
I set the CG and throws per the plans.
TnT makes an after market landing gear that fits and works great, i recommend the 3/16" version http://www.tntlandinggear.com/Product_List_Gear.htm
Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
karolh

The DLE 20 would be my first choice for sheer ease of operation and fuel costs. The instruction manual gives a CG range of 5"-5.75" measured from the LE at the fuse, but for me 5.5" works best.

Control throws are: Elev 10 deg. Aileron 25 deg and Rudder 35 deg. with 30% Expo dialled in. Dispensing with the wire gear and using an alum. L/gear is the way to go and fitting a 3/8" thk. wedge plate between the gear and the fuse which rotates the main wheels about 1.5" forward of their stock position cures the model's tendency to nose over during takeoff runs especially on grass. I also shelved the plastic cowl and wheel pants for some after market units from Fiberglas Specialities.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Gray Beard

The weak spot in the plane is the doubler in the fuse. The plane is an old design and back in the day they really were using a .60 glow engine. we kept going bigger and bigger. Over time that doubler holding all the engine weight tends to break. Today I use 1/8 aircraft ply in the plane. Mine was built in 1989 and gets flown a lot. A couple years ago on a hard landing the doubler broke on both sides so the thicker wood is now just a habit. I have now seen several of them break in the same spot.
Mine started life with a YS 120 NC then the OS 120 pumper. I went right back to the YS. Then I changed to a YS 120F. No difference that I can tell between the NC and F YS engines but both fly the plane better then the OS. The DLE is a good choice, They have about the same tug as the OS 120. Operation is much cheaper and less support gear needed. Mine has the pitts muffler come out the bottom so it is a very clean glow plane but gas is still cheaper and cleaner. At one point I was getting a replacement LG from fiberglass specialties but in this thread we were told it is no longer offered. The LG on mine is big, like huge but it fits the plane but is heavy. The wire gear works but I used to bend my own and use thicker wire. A replacement LG is a better option. CG should be set as shown then moved as you like it. Same with the control throws. I measure mine in degrees and they are set with 10 degrees up and down elevator and about 12 degrees aileron. Rudder is all I can get.
Karol, Dale didn't like my throws, he wanted more, just a choice in set up thing.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Twin_Flyer

I used TNT gear on my CG Ultimate and they are nice so its a no brainer to use them plus the 'glass cowl from Stans (now Fibertech N More).

Also picked up a framed but unfinished CG Sukhoi and it will get the same engine/landing gear/'glass package, when I get another DLE...

Looking forward to finishing it now!

Thanks all for the info!!

Bill S.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 AM
karolh

I picked up the tip of strengthening the fuse just forward of the LE from you here in this thread. I glued back in the lite ply cutouts in the stock fuse doubler and then added an extra 1/8" thk ply doubler that extended both front and rear. I aslo added some internal supports in the L/ gear area of the fuse. Should be good for another 18 years

Dale is accustomed to the big throws on his 3D capable 30cc Redwing MX 11 even though he does not really fly 3D with that particular model, uses his EPP Crack Yak for that
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

I used TNT gear on my CG Ultimate and they are nice so its a no brainer to use them plus the 'glass cowl from Stans (now Fibertech N More).

Also picked up a framed but unfinished CG Sukhoi and it will get the same engine/landing gear/'glass package, when I get another DLE...

Looking forward to finishing it now!

Thanks all for the info!!

Bill S.
Lucky, I always wanted to build the Sukhoi but never got round to it when the kit was still with us. It should be the perfect match to the Extra.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM
karolh

Are you still using the original servos in your Extra, and if so what are they ? I still have the original Fut S148's on the ailerons in mine to which I fitted an EMS replacement top cover BB kit.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Cyberwolf

Karol I still use a couple of stand oz in mine 2 for the elev and If I remember right one on the throttle. The rudder and ailerons I went a little more grunt on especially with the pull pull set up.
I see the GB Sukhoi was mentioned *S* I still have two of them. One is pristine(BLU&WHITE) and has only a very few flights on it and the other is been flown allot but still looks good(BLACK&WHITE), it wound up with a 30 DLE and that's just to much engine weight wise for it I feel. The plane flew the best with an 160 OS 2 stroke.
BTW I did change out the silver canopy for a clear one as soon as it came in..We had a little issue with the paint on the original one *LOL* I also finished the bottom blue stripes on the elevators too.

As far as the 2 planes flying the same they don't! The early model Sukhoi was famous for dropping a wing on landings and it didn't really care which one,sort of hard to watch for. Now the later improved kit with the gear in the fuse and the different wing design is much better for not wanting to drop a wing at slower speeds.
Those two planes (Extra&Suk)do fly close to each other I would give each there own depending on what maneuver a person is doing at the time. I have Allot of plane's more than most but the GB Sukhoi is still by far one of the best if not the best to do a blender.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97247.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1882825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77961.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1882826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22791.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1882827  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.