Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:24 PM
zope_pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Hey one more thing guys,

Does anyone have a keleo creations muffler and doesn't mind weighing it for me? I am trying to decide servo setup with the retractable tailwheel, possibly reconfiguring the rudder and elevator setups, etc. Also, are most of these birds tail heavy or nose heavy? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neverland:

The test of whether to add down thrust is to bring the bird overhead, low enough so that you can see it well, at a low cruise speed, level flight, trimmed for hands off, NO WIND.
Nail the throttle. If it starts climbing, add downthrust.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Neverland

Mustang Fever
thanks will give it a go when there is no wind. Lately it has been a bit windy. So the maiden was on a windy day and the same for subsequent days. Its getting to that time of year where there are more windy days then calm. On that note, I actually fly better in the wind???
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I B BUCK

I have the wing done minus the tips. The retracts are also in though I have not tested them yet.
I think gear doors are out for me also? The trailing end of the wheels stick up above the skin by about an 1/8"
Not sure if I want to trim the retract rails anymore?[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11979.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	657797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30071.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	657798  
Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

WOO HOO, back home!!!!!!!!!

Have just over a week off before i start work agaqin and i'm hoping to manage some time on my Mustang, gotta dust her off first! and then se where i was upto.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 AM
mikemedic2

welcome home ticketec!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Can I get a opinion on the best retract for this build and size of wheel.? I have attempt mechanical retracts only on a smaller Mustang and fought the installation every step of the way. I'd prefer a strut ready version ( less things to go wrong) so dang the price.....what's the best way to go?. Thanks, Mikel-T
Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 PM
chalre

I am currently using century jet retracts on mine. They are more scale than the robarts and look to have a little more meat to them for the proper size. As far as performance goes, I cant compare the two because I have never used the robart system. However, I have used the robart struts on my mechanical retracts and have had "0" problems with them. Which ever way you decide to go, I recommend using a valve adjustable 3way. This will prevent your rectracts from flying open and possibly seperating from the wing. The valve will allow you to adjust the air pressure thus causing the retracts to open or close at a slower pace and independently from one another. This again will make your retracts fit the scale look you should be going for.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 PM
chalre

I am also using 3.5" robart wheels with the diamond pattern. The wheels look great and fit perfectly into the wings.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 PM
zope_pope

Notice in I B Buck's pictures, they are taken in two different rooms. I ask everyone this....

Why does it take 6 rooms to finish an airplane? I have never finished an airplane in my workshop ever. hehe.

Anyhow, nice looking wings. I am still waiting on a part from TF to get my mustang build going again. It must have got lost when I moved.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Mustang Fever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zope:

Only 6? You're weakening.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I B BUCK

Zope

I have been restricted to only two rooms for airplanes in our house. My workshop and the den, I'm not allowed to build in the den! So I can only display planes there. I had to take the one picture in the living room when the wife wasn't home. She still doesn't know.
(My Disclaimer ) I HAVE BEEN RISTRICTED FOR THE FOLLING REASON I kept three planes in the living room all last summer
with the excuse I had nowhere to store them. I now have a new workshop with plenty of storage in the basement. Devilishly clever of me don't you think?

I do hope you have better luck with TF than I did. I called them on Feb 2nd about missing parts in my kit. ended up making my own.
The guy was kind of a jerk too. Somehow I got the impression it was my fault parts were missing in thier kit.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
zope_pope

LOL. Yeah, my wife got pissed off with the 29% extra in the living room, but since we only have a one car garage, it would barely fit in there anyways. I had no other place to do the setup work. Anyhow, the mustang she makes me keep downstairs since it is small enough to keep in my workshop/garage.

I have had luck in the past ordering parts from TF. I usually just send them a fax and it arrives in a week. No big deal. The part i am missing is the connector between the two elevators. I was debating on whether I should build my own, or rig up another way to acutate the elevators, but the stock way is so simple... I hope to get my part soon. This weekend would have been a perfect build weekend with the 20 degree weather and snow... ugh...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
chalre

Zope.

are you hoping to have it ready by Warbirds? I was planning on driving out this year with my p-51B. However, new baby and wife are probably restricting it. A good buddy of mine flies out there all the time and will possibly have a stuka ready for warbirds. Anyways, just curious.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
zope_pope

I was planning on it, plus it gives me a deadline to get off my butt and get some work done. I did work on it a bit last night, but I have had just so much going on. The plan is to get it out to warbirds, but no guarantees. it'd be cool to get a bunch of the mustangs on this thread together.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: chalre

I am currently using century jet retracts on mine. They are more scale than the robarts and look to have a little more meat to them for the proper size. As far as performance goes, I cant compare the two because I have never used the robart system. However, I have used the robart struts on my mechanical retracts and have had "0" problems with them. Which ever way you decide to go, I recommend using a valve adjustable 3way. This will prevent your rectracts from flying open and possibly seperating from the wing. The valve will allow you to adjust the air pressure thus causing the retracts to open or close at a slower pace and independently from one another. This again will make your retracts fit the scale look you should be going for.

Good luck.
I actually dont agree with you on the the CJM gear looking more scale, i don't have a pic of them on hand but from what i remember they are more chunky and almosty square cut fork. I have posted a pic of the real mustang gear leg and one of the the Robart for comparison.

I have heard and read lots of post about people having problems with the CJM gear too. Don't get me wrong, i have never had a set so can't talk about them first hand. THe problem in my book is that i think the robarts are not much better either...... Mine had lot's of free play or slop, the machine quality on the metal parts is piss poor, and, at least my regulating valve doesn't really regulate properly.

so, if money is no object, get Sierra to machine you up a set!!!! beautiful work, and have heard nothing but raves about their work. hold onto your socks when it comes time to pay for them though. Lenny at shindin retacts is far more reasonably priced for sports flyers and i am about to get a set of gear for my Fw-190 off him so i'll let you know what they look like when i get them. but also rave reveiws about his work.

As for wheels, 4" are the best for this model, becuase that is what is scale for this sized airframe, but as clalre indicated you can't get them in without some modifying of the wing center section. I we went the same route and i have 3.25" robart diamond treaded tires whcih are the biggest you can get into the robostruts i have.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29287.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	661487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32962.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	661488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62448.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	661489  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Neverland

Hey guys, I justa have a quick question about CG. After shimming the the engine for more down thrust I still feed a lot of down trim to get my bird to fly level. I was mainly just trying to find out what would be the most forward cg location you guys have tried and recommend using?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:29 PM
ticketec

Well guy's

Been home for a week now and have said hello to the wife'y and fixed some things around the house and straight into my Mustang again!

I have the flight controls ready for paint, and have painted them with the same latex paints as the fuse. I also made up a tail nav light housing and trim tab pushrod which i am really happy about the way they came out. I have to wait for my airbrush to come back from spain before i can do any more deatiling. i mailed it out snail mail with some paints and hand toos that i used building plastic models, and it has not arrived two weeks later..... still plenty of other things left to do on her.

I will now start to remove some of the servos from the Fw-190 and install them on the Mustang. I would have really liked to have flown the Fw-190 a little more, but she needs new retracts,prop etc, and i don't want to hold the 'Stang up any more. I think maybe i'll start with the tailwheel and rudder first as they will take the longest to get done right.

thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
zope_pope

Neverland,

Have you checked incidence on the stab and the wing? This is where I'd start. Also, have you gotten the bird not to shoot its nose up if you cut the throttle from full? (this is a symptom of too much up thrust).

Ticketec-
That is the best looking set of retract doors I have ever seen. I am so going to have to go with your method.
BTW - Are you a Mark Webber fan? hehe.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 AM
chalre

T,

Yes the century's are a little thicker than the robarts. Yes they aren't exactly as you have shown on your photo. But, I have Robart struts on my P-40 and they look small for that plane. And, as you can see from the photo's in my earlier posts, the CJ's are pretty sweet and appear to be a little more scale in appearance. However, I am bias towards CJ's because this is what I have on my plan. Your robarts look great, especially how you have the gear doors attached. But did you go to a larger size strut?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:42 AM
ticketec

Hey Chalre,

No, i went with the 3/8" struts. I kinda which i had because then i could have also gone with a bigger wheel. Not sure how they will hold up to the job even thought they are designed for the models weight, but i am a pretty soft land'er...... normally. The gear door attachment was an idea off a Bf-109 build thread and worked ok in the end. Keep the pic's coming, cos if i ever damage my gear and these CJM's look as good as you say, i'll have to keep my eye on them!

Hey Zope,

Thanks mate!! Yeah, Webber ok, But Casey Stoner is better! Not suggesting that my ways is the best or only way to do it, but if you need any help, pic's, explanations on the gear doors feel free to shoot throught the questions. After all, that's what these forums are about!!

Hey Neverland,

I agree with Zope, check angle of incidence, and have another look at your thrust line in relation to your angle of incidence. e.g your thrust line in realtiopn to your wing and not your fuse centerline.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Ticketec,

I have several pictures of the CJM gear on an ARF P-51 I'm building at the following link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_55...tm.htm#5509593

They seem very good and I will probably get thier mechanical P-51 tailwheel which retracts forward as per the real plane. I used all the landing gear feedback from this build thread to make my desicion.

Tim

ORIGINAL: ticketec
Keep the pic's coming, cos if i ever damage my gear and these CJM's look as good as you say, i'll have to keep my eye on them!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:52 PM
ticketec

Well,

I emailed Keleo creations for a scale exhaust for the mustang and an o.s. 1.20 fs and he said he does not do them at this time????

Not sure if that means he's too busy, or doesn't want to make them anymore etc.... So Zope, there's your answer on weight, the Keleo's weight 0 oz cos you can't get them!!!!!

Now i have to think about what i'm gonna do for exhaust....

thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
skyriter

I also sent an email re this, and I think he indicated that there was not enough room in the cowl for the piping.

Bruce
Old 04-11-2007, 07:04 PM
zope_pope

Man thats a bummer! I wanted one so badly! Oh well. I should have bought the muffler when i asked a while back.

Stoner is a good rider. I follow F1 more than I do MotoGP. I am a BMW Sauber Fan.

I'll take you up on the offer for the doors. I really like y our finish, and if i can get mine half as pretty, I am a happy camper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.