Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Super Stinker revisited.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Super Stinker revisited.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Super Stinker revisited.

The plans call for 2 degrees up and 2 degrees right.
jason
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks. That is what I'll use for the new firewall.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

this was brought up in another thread, what where the wing and stab incidences?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 PM
baronbrian

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

this was brought up in another thread, what where the wing and stab incidences?
That is a good question. This kit has a lot of really good die cutting and I think it would be hard to change the angles of the wings and tail. I'm assuming mine are good. I am also assuming that the firewall Is square to the world and the front of the engine box can be measured from that for up and right thrust. I am showing 2.5 degrees up and 2.5 degrees right thrust with the current fire wall. I would add a few washers to space the upthrust down a little, but the proble Is that my jtec mount is drilled for a 1.35 already and it sticks out 3/8" out of the cowl, so I need to move the firewall back.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 PM
baronbrian

Sorry to ask, Jason, but does the side view of the fuselage plans show incidence angles for the wings and horizontal stab? I might as well break my two incidence meters while I'm at it
Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 AM
kork
My Feedback: (65)

i will have to get back to you soon, I put the box back up on th shelf
Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM
baronbrian

Thanks, sorry to be a bother!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:37 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

I made one HUGE mistake!

Yeah, I'm back to this thread...I sold the SS at Lebanon, PA swap meet coupla years back. After the rebuild, I was planning on a better engine/thrust combo when my 1st marriage went south, (thankfully, lol). I needed the $$ to help settle so most of my hobby got liquidated.

Here's the rub. Prior to all that, I had traced out each and every die-cut plywood part on 1/8" lite ply and had stored against the day i might need another rebuild. I went looking for that plywood last night on a whim and discovered it was gone with all my other wood stock, back when.

The balsa parts templates are also missing in action, LOL.

Is there ANYONE out there that MIGHT have kept all the ply "trees" after their build project? In other words, I want to SCRATCH build this airframe once again but this time, NOT from lite ply. If I could persuade some generous modeler to loan these to me, I would trace them and return them ASAP!

The plans are another story. Those got cut up during my original build and I'll be looking to find those as well.

This is a call to any and all Super Stinker owner/builders that a "brother" is looking to join ranks once again!

I do appreciate y'all!

Thanks,
Don
Old 11-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by PointMagu
I made one HUGE mistake!

Yeah, I'm back to this thread...I sold the SS at Lebanon, PA swap meet coupla years back. After the rebuild, I was planning on a better engine/thrust combo when my 1st marriage went south, (thankfully, lol). I needed the $$ to help settle so most of my hobby got liquidated.

Here's the rub. Prior to all that, I had traced out each and every die-cut plywood part on 1/8" lite ply and had stored against the day i might need another rebuild. I went looking for that plywood last night on a whim and discovered it was gone with all my other wood stock, back when.

The balsa parts templates are also missing in action, LOL.

Is there ANYONE out there that MIGHT have kept all the ply "trees" after their build project? In other words, I want to SCRATCH build this airframe once again but this time, NOT from lite ply. If I could persuade some generous modeler to loan these to me, I would trace them and return them ASAP!

The plans are another story. Those got cut up during my original build and I'll be looking to find those as well.

This is a call to any and all Super Stinker owner/builders that a "brother" is looking to join ranks once again!

I do appreciate y'all!

Thanks,
Don
Don,
I have a NIB complete kit in my stockpile. Send PM to discuss....
Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 PM
tim allen

Default Midwest super stinker

I know that this is an older thread but i recently traded a plane for a midwest ss that had been in a minor accident, i have stripped it , replaced bottom stringers with spruce, replaced former to bottom wing mount , rebuilt elevators and rudder (old ones came apart removing monokote) , and got rid of unnecessary added wood on plane . I am planning on using only 2 servos for aelerons, keeping pull-pull for rudder and using one monster servo for elevator. I want smoke and POWER and i have a dle 55 with a bison pitts muffler on hand . Suggetions anybody ?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:38 AM
BIGRCR

A 55cc is way too much engine for that airframe. Try a 30-35cc rear carb engine. I fly mine with an MT-35cc which is a very light engine. The only problem with the SS is when you put a heavy engine up front, it becomes an overweight pig. I kept my kit for years unbuilt waiting on a good engine to be developed which was not too heavy. Otherwise the Moki glow engine was the lightest decent alternative back in the day IMO.

BIGRCR-John

Last edited by BIGRCR; 04-25-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-25-2018, 10:35 PM
tim allen

I have decided to finish the bird and get everything in it then see what i need for nose weight BEFORE i decide on a engine size ! Lol .
here she is in progress.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:22 AM
BIGRCR

Looks very nice!

John
Old 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM
tim allen

Thanks John , i did modify the tail a bit as the old control surfaces were damaged when i stripped them . The guy i got it from said he felt it could use a bit more rudder . Here is a pic of what it looked like when i got it .
Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 PM
tim allen

And here is a sketch of what it will look like done . The color scheme is silver , blue and red pin striping .
Old 04-26-2018, 06:02 PM
BIGRCR

With MT-35cc up front.

Midwest Super Stinker

Tim,
I like the rudder mod and cograts for keeping another of these old birds in the air. If the airplane is pretty nose heavy (most of them are) there is not quite enough rudder for quick stall turns and knife edge. If the Cg is spot on, the rudder is vey effective, but yes, the rudder addition should not hurt and helps to modernize the plane a bit! Here are a couple of pics of mine.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:05 PM
BIGRCR

Tim,

keep us is the loop. Looking forward to seeing it as you get it completed!

John
Old 04-26-2018, 06:25 PM
tim allen

Wow ! What a beauty ! Thanks John and btw , how is the performance?
Old 04-26-2018, 06:28 PM
tim allen

And i will be sure to share pics and info
Old 04-27-2018, 03:04 AM
BIGRCR

It flies very well; no bad habits but I am used to draggy biplanes. Just fly it to the ground (keep a little throttle on) and its no problem. The model is very aerobatic, has a real quick roll rate and it wraps up pretty tight and flat in spins when you want it to but comes out by letting go and letting it fall for a partial second before grabbing the elevator. Knife edge does have a little (not much) push to canopy right to left and to the gear left to right, I just fly it through (no mix).

John Garst-BIGRCR
Old 07-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Pittscrazy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost my old RC universe log in info AND my old email when my phone took a crap , so that is why I have not posted progress on the Pitts recently . I have the fuse covered , engine mounted , cowling cut and almost covered , wings repaired and just about ready to be covered , the firewall and motor box fiberglassed and fuel proofed with triangle stock for reinforcement . The prop is on order a mejzlik 20/10 3 blade but now I need a large polished 3 blade spinner lol .
Old 07-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Pittscrazy

Oh , and BTW my old user name was Tim Allen which is my real name but RCU would not let me use it again . So I am now incognito lol !
Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Pittscrazy

Apparently I cannot post pics until after I had made 10 post as a new member well here is post number one , lol
Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Pittscrazy

Actually that would be post # 5 , which would make this post #.......
Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Pittscrazy

6 , but THIS would be post # ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.