Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What Kit would you like to see brought back?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What Kit would you like to see brought back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 05:44 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GRANT ED
Sig bonanza or top flite bonanza
I had forgotten SIG had a Bonanza too, that would be a great airplane to build again!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:23 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We had to move our complete operation and in the process we have temporarily closed the wood shop. We hope to be back with kits later this year. Are there any House of Balsa kits that you would like to see? We will use this along with historical information to establish our priority list.

Thanks for your past support and we look forward to meeting your kit requirements.

Paul S
House of Balsa
Old 06-08-2016, 04:45 AM
yyk1966
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paulsf86
... Are there any House of Balsa kits that you would like to see? ....

Paul S
House of Balsa
- House Of Balsa Spacewalker Kit .074-.10,47"
- all other kits :-)
Old 06-08-2016, 06:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

We had to move our complete operation and in the process we have temporarily closed the wood shop. We hope to be back with kits later this year. Are there any House of Balsa kits that you would like to see? We will use this along with historical information to establish our priority list.

Thanks for your past support and we look forward to meeting your kit requirements.

Paul S
House of Balsa
I would love to see the Beechcraft Bonanza make a come back in the original size or better scaled up to .40 to .60 size using 4 to 6 channels.Smaller glow engines are harder to find it seems the manufacturers start at .40s now days.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:53 AM
DanIsGo

I'm just finishing up a HOB pt-19 the 25 size and it has been a great build, I'm sure many people would love to see that back.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:35 AM
trawlergeek

Default HOB Kits to make next

I agree with some of the other posters re: "House Of Balsa Spacewalker Kit .074-.10,47" kit.
That would be an instant sale for me. And, of course, I would like to see what is in the HOB "kits we can make" quiver to possible vote for others.

Thanks for the possibilities!

Jim
Indialantic, FL

Last edited by trawlergeek; 06-10-2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-10-2016, 07:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

Paul S
House of Balsa
Paul, I know I already voted but if HOB wanted to design something I would point out while their is a lot of Warbird kits civillian aircraft with the exception of Cessna or Mister Mulligan are almost nonexistent in full kits. Why not throw out a scale or fun scale of a low wing design like a Beechcraft or Piper? If you want to go Golden Era a Staggerwing or even a Howard would be nice. These airplanes are normally found of late in large scale plans built with a hefty price tag to complete. A smaller size in the .40 to .60 or .75 to .91 2 cycle would be a good place to start and have large appeal.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:14 AM
tejasnumu

The Great Planes .40 (54" wing) Ugly Stick! I went through a lot of teeth cutting with 4. Honest bad batteries on 3 and a spectacular DUMB THUMB showing off at a crowded Saturday at our paved field. O.S. .46 Max, clipped wings, no dihedral, same area but modified empennage to loose the WWI thing. 3 to 4 feet off pavement upside down. Feeling my oats! pulled back on elevator and nothing left to pick up, just sweep. Time for a bugle, shovel & volley. I just love the kit. Taught me to hover, land on a table and my jaws still hurt 18 years later from grinning.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one. Mine, stock, Fox .46, inverted, club's annual public flying show, full throttle, tried to pull up into a rolling vertical. Magic word, pull "UP'.Salvaged some wire, LG. Had to replace the needles and prop on the Fox. After being in MA since 1948, part of my field equipment includes garbage bags.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:20 AM
tejasnumu

Ok, start laughing at me now or scratching your head cause you're too young to remember. Bring back Speedie-Bilt kits. For a few chores and a little Grandma's birthday money you could buy a real model airplane kit of balsa,tissue, plastic detail and with a little Ambroid and Testers dope you could make a pretty nice rock that looked very much like your favorite fighters. A 7 year old little boy learned: wing loading, center of gravity, painting on mom's table was a bad thing and a well built one hung from the ceiling on a tread was a pure delight and made you wish you could build a big plane with a motor like the big guys did. Last one was a P-51, lots of balsa carefully removed and no plastic parts except canopy & tissue covering voids. Fully wound stock prop and rubber into an evening breeze. Higher and higher. I never saw it again. What a lesson.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Flyaways indicate that you did a good job and you should be proud.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:37 PM
50+AirYears

Oh man, those were the days. The SpeeDee Bilts (not a misspelling!) from Monogram. Formed, routed out wing panels that took a couple 1/16" stips, then a pre cut sheet glued (Ambroid, of course!) as an undersurface. Usually, a bit heavy to fly too long, but entertaining and amusing as well. I built several of their F-9Fs and F-84s, flew them attached to a fishing rod and reel as a whip model, usually until I got so dizzy I found myself flat on the ground looking at a fresh partial kit.
Another group of kits I'd love to see make a comeback are the old Top Flite Jig-Time kits. Built and flew many of those. I have found drawings with color patterns on line, just not certain I have a printer that will handle 3" X 36" sheets of 1/32 and 1/16. I do have one Jigtime kit l bought from Carl Goldberg's daughter at one of the Toledo expositions.
Or the old Cleveland kits. Very easy to build, even the scale models. I remember a couple hobby shops in the Cleveland Ohio area having a number on shelves as decorations for years. When they closed, those old buck, 2 bucks kits were going like hotcakes for hundreds of dollars.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:51 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

G-P 60 size chipmuck kit
Old 10-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Red B.

GP Ultra Sport 1000
Old 10-17-2016, 06:58 AM
tejasnumu

Gosh, i am sad that it seems time is slowly eroding our hobby, Nothing like opening a brand new airplane kit box and that aroma of print ink on plans; slightly sour smell of fresh cut balsa. So as to stay on thread topic, I would like to pick a Comet plane in my mind and plan on buying and building it better than my last model. Some you fly. Some you just try to fly. Some hang from ceiling near a window and your marvel at the beauty of tissue covering a built up model with light showing through. Comet kits would be good too. Or Berkeley or Guillows a kid could afford. Anything that doesn't have an "app." I love big Ziroli fighters with my old Brison 4.2; I love all the .40, ;60 and four stroke planes but a stick and tissue biplane hanging near a window is the stuff of dreams for a young person; or at least it used to be.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

I still remember the banana smell of clear dope, I remember when Fox folded the tent and retired what a shame. Fox engines weren't as pretty as some of the new engines but you could always count on them.

As for the Jigtime designs you could always build a SIG Rascal it was originally a Jigtime airplane and still has the same lines even though every version keeps getting a little bigger. Maybe SIG is trying to compensate for the original Jigtime Builders' eyesight?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Mike Maness

Dynaflight PT-19 or Fly Baby. Before the evil empire purchased Dynaflight, they had some cool large scale planes. So sad.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM
bikerbc

I love the BUSA kits . Pls be sure to bring back all the Cub kits both 1/4 and 1/3 scale . J3 and Super Cubs . And bring back Dave ,he has been a fantastic source of help to builders when they run into problems . Thanks Ken
Old 10-17-2016, 03:26 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of BUSA, I'd love to see that 1/4 scale Aeronca C-3 back again.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:58 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Speaking of BUSA, I'd love to see that 1/4 scale Aeronca C-3 back again.
Ya. Me too !
Old 10-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Maness
Dynaflight PT-19 or Fly Baby. Before the evil empire purchased Dynaflight, they had some cool large scale planes. So sad.
Modelers stopped buying them so they were dropped. No sales means no availability. Kit sales have tanked in the past several years. The ones that remain are just barely making it, with one or two exceptions.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Bax
Modelers stopped buying them so they were dropped. No sales means no availability. Kit sales have tanked in the past several years. The ones that remain are just barely making it, with one or two exceptions.
I can understand that looking from the viewpoint of the cost of manufacturing and stocking a particular kit. That said judging from the turnover of Balsa, Ply, Liteply, Bass, and other building materials at my LHS, I would say building is starting to grow again however; that is not necessarily an indication of new kit sales. A lot of guys now days are building from plans and going to laser cutters to cut shaped parts to get exactly what they want in a project.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:56 PM
50+AirYears

After a little bit of thought, I came up with some from my past. Like the entire Sterling line with decent balsa and die (or Laser) cutting, the old Enterprise, and Scientific lines. Had great luck with them all.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:52 AM
jimm
My Feedback: (1)

All of them.... Phase out all these foamies and get back to our roots and start building again.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:47 AM
flygilmore

The whole ARF mentality that guys have now is what has ruined the "hobby". No one wants to spend the time it takes to build a plane from a box of sticks when you can just go out and get the one that's basically RTF. Thanks, but I'll stick with my kits and plans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.