Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Which Cub to build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Which Cub to build

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:29 AM
fly4food18
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Cub to build

I am looking to build a cub here in the near future and i am not sure which kit to get. I am lookin gat the Goldberg, or Greatplanes, or the Sig. I am looking for a plane can so some extra scale work on. Which kit is the best.

I am looking to cover it in Military colors, Give it the L-4 look. And run a 4-stroke

thanks
Brian
Old 08-27-2006, 05:23 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Which Cub to build

I've built three Goldberg Cubs. They fly well, build easily, and lok like a Cub.

I'm currently flying a GP Cub 60, which I like much better. Being larger, it flies better.

If you want a more scale outline, I'd go with the Sig version. Haven't built one, but I understand that they build well, too.

Good luck with your project, and have fun !!!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:03 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've built/flown Sig's 1/5 scale Cub and it was a pleasure to build!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:02 PM
DaveB

I have built both the Goldberg and GP cubs. I now have the Sig 1/5 scale kit under the bench to be built in the future. Both the Goldberg and the GP are easy builds and good flyers. Of the two, I would give a little higher rating for the GP because it has the barn door ailerons which are more scale like, whereas the Goldberg has strip ailerons. Having said that, you would be happy with either choice.

As far as the Sig goes, won't know until building, but everything I have heard about the Sig convinced me to buy the kit.

DaveB
Old 08-28-2006, 01:58 PM
InIt4MyBoys

I am building the Sig 1/5th scale Cub currently. It is a very nice kit and builds up easily and quickly. When I did have a question I got Bob @ Sig on the phone and he helped me right through it. Heartily recommended...

-Derek
Old 08-28-2006, 03:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's scale you want, go with the Sig
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 PM
boxbeam
My Feedback: (188)

The Sig 1/5 Cub is awesome to build and fly. Builds fast and easy, flys slow and easy, very forgiving. You can go as scale as you want. Contact Ken Hodges here on RCU, he did the Sig 1/5 as an L-4, he'll send you some pics if you ask him and show you all the detail he put into his. I don't know about the Goldberg or the Great Planes, but the Sig version was a great first time Cub for me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57910.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	515213  
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Spitfire222

I've built the GP .40 Cub. It was a great kit to build, and built by the plans, it was fast and easy to put together. The only "issue" I had was covering the open turtle deck bay, but after some persuasion, I got the covering to fit down fine. I also finished mine as an L-4 Grasshopper, however as I'm sure you've already noted, it would be quite a mod to add the extra greenhouse windows on the GP Cub considering how the wing bolts on the the fuse. I put an OS .46 LA in mine, and with the 12 oz. fuel tank, it could easily fly 20-30 minutes. With my set-up, I could cruise around scale-like at 1/3 throttle, but there was plenty more thrust for "Cub aerobatics". If you use a 4-stroke, you could mount it inverted and get both dummy engines on the cowl for scale appearance.

Unfortuntely, I lost mine in early June when it tip-stalled during a bad landing approach with strong crosswinds. It dropped vertically from ~35 ft, and hit a pilot fence. That sheared off the right wing a few ribs out from the fuse, and the impact damaged the firewall too. While most likely repairable, I will probably move on, and someday get another maybe larger Cub.

And once last thing, if you are to finish it as an L-4 in olive drab, be sure to add the D-Day stripes at least on the wings! At the fields where I fly, when it dropped down below some dark trees on final, it could be hard to spot even with the stripes! [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Name:	Mk26892.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	515304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40465.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	515305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76615.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	515306  
Old 08-29-2006, 07:37 PM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've built the sig 1/6th cub. it's an older design stick built kit. takes a lot of patience and a little experience as the instructions seem to be geared toward experienced builders. the 1/5th scale is a newer design with laser cutting and appearantly builds easier (i've not built it yet). here is the build that i posted but i still haven't painted it yet.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1402921
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dang, boxbeam, I'm blushing. thanks for the compliment. I've only built the Sig Cub as a kit (I have a H-9 ARF Cub, too), but have seen most all the offerings in some form or other, and am convinced that the Sig 1/5 is the best engineered of the lot. I only wish they would re-engineer their 1/4 scale kit the same way. If you are looking for a kit you can really tune up, add details, modify, etc, then the Sig is the way to go.

Oh, Spitfire, there's no way I could tear up a nice plane like yours, and be grinning about it. Oh, well, to paraphrase Maximus from "Gladiator"---"death smiles at us all, All we can do is smile back."

Name:	Om33927.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	515620  
Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the BUSA cubs. I'm planning on getting a cub kit for a birthday present (to myself) and am looking at the 1/4 scale size.
Edwin
Old 08-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Spitfire222

Khodges, yeah dont ask me why I was grinning like an idiot...guess it hadnt sunk in yet. I obviously wasn't happy about it, but a crash is crash, so no sense getting too upset about it. Plus, I had built the plane a few years ago when I was 13 or 14, and I really didn't expect it to last this long. I got my enjoyment's worth out of this one!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 AM
MinnFlyer

Edwin, Both the Sig and the BUSA 1/4 scale kits are "Builder's Kits". Be prepared to do a LOT of cutting and sanding with either of them.

That said, I have built the Sig 1/4 Clipped wing and it was a lot of work, but a great flier!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:40 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Edwin, Both the Sig and the BUSA 1/4 scale kits are "Builder's Kits". Be prepared to do a LOT of cutting and sanding with either of them.

That said, I have built the Sig 1/4 Clipped wing and it was a lot of work, but a great flier!
I will 2nd that, the Sig 1/4 Clipped wing Cub is a great flying plane and can be very scale if you want to put the extra work into it.
Anthony
Old 08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Edwin

Builders kits are no problem. I'm trying to find out more about the scale details on the BUSA kit, like does it have a scale door or would I have to fabricate it (I heard the SIG doesnt have the door), landing gear (I dont like the way GP uses that sheet aluminum gear), Will a 1/4 scale fly with a OS.91fs. I have the .91, if I needed bigger I would have to buy an engine. All my saito 120s are being used. I prefer a more scale flying cub anyway. I like what khodges did to make his L-4. Might consider that too since I lean towards warbirds anyway.
I had to move the cub up in the build que cause I lost mine last year from a bad battery. Once you fly a cub you get hooked.
Edwin
Old 08-30-2006, 11:32 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Once you fly a cub you get hooked.
Edwin
Oh yea. Everyone needs at least ONE Cub in their hangar!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:30 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Builders kits are no problem. I'm trying to find out more about the scale details on the BUSA kit, like does it have a scale door or would I have to fabricate it (I heard the SIG doesnt have the door), landing gear (I dont like the way GP uses that sheet aluminum gear), Will a 1/4 scale fly with a OS.91fs. I have the .91, if I needed bigger I would have to buy an engine. All my saito 120s are being used. I prefer a more scale flying cub anyway. I like what khodges did to make his L-4. Might consider that too since I lean towards warbirds anyway.
I had to move the cub up in the build que cause I lost mine last year from a bad battery. Once you fly a cub you get hooked.
Edwin
I had to pull out my BUSA plans; the L-4 plans that are still available DO show construction of the scale door, I assume that the J-3 is the same. The kit landing gear is music wire, you have to solder it, but you can make it look better than the bent aluminum. There are several brands of scale gear available. Do a RCU search on "scale gear"; I did a side-by side comparison of the Wallace gear and Robart gear. The comparison was of the 1/5 scale gear, but I also have Robart's in 1/4 scale, and they are identical to the smaller gear, except of course, the size. I like the appearance of Wallace's gear better, and the ones on my 1/5 scale plane have lasted for three years without problems. The other thing about Wallace's gear is that they include the bungee covers, the Robart doesn't. Wallace's gear is also less expensive, by about $30, than the Robart. (Wallace gear is $100 plus shipping)

A .91 might get it off the ground, but I wouldn't want to be the pilot. I'd go with a 1.20 to 1.50 glow, or put a G-26 or similar size gas engine. Roto and Evolution also make nice gas engines in this range that are narrower than the Zenoah, if you want nice scale, they won't have a carb sticking out the side of the cowl, but it'll cost ya.

Speaking of scale, if you want to build the 1/4 as a L-4, the plans are available from BUSA, although you'd have to modify the J-3 kit. I have issues with the roof section though, as it is still sheeted. The BUSA could be modified the same way as my Sig was to include the full greenhouse. The key to the conversion is a center section that builds as part of the fuselage, instead of the center of the wing, and the struts have to be functional (not a problem because they are already on the BUSA kit.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
fly4food18
My Feedback: (15)

Wow. thank you all for your information. I am really looking at the sig kit now. Thank you all for your information.

Brian
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 PM
khodges

Check out the other thread in this forum "Building a Cub-Need help". I just posted some pictures out of the Sig 1/5 manual showing some of the building details and laser cut parts.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:23 AM
Edwin

Thanks for the info, no to go and decide.
Edwin
Old 08-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Augie11

Edwin-
You've gotten a lot of good advise in this thread. I guess Cub builders are honest! On the 1/4 scale, both the Sig and BUSA are excellent planes and take some time, but the build is a joy.

On the engine --- I fly at 5300' elevation so a 1.2 4-stroke is minimum I'd carry. Actually, I use a 1.50 Saito as I switch back and forth between Robart wheels and BUSA floats. At sea level I'd go with a Saito 1.25 if I ever had intention of using floats.

Whatever you choose, fly her scale and put on all the details you want. But don't forget to simulate the rib stitching!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:20 AM
MinnFlyer

I flew the Sig 1/4 Clipped wing with an OS 160 Twin and it was a great combo!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Edwin

I wasnt gonna mention a past post cause I dont like to publicly critisize someone for their statement or opinion. But in a past search someone mentioned using an OS.91fs in busa 1/4 cub which sounded promising. Then he stated it flew scale and would even knife edge. So out the window went that opinion. I dont doubt a .91 would make it labor in the air, was just hoping someone had real experience with it. I'll probably retire a plane for awhile and move a saito 120 onto the cub. Here in central Tx I fly at around 1000' above sea level. My rascal 110 does real nice on the 120 at about 11 lbs and my busa Pheaton90 is the slowest flying bipe I've seen around here at 14 lbs (was a swapmeet resurection) also with the 120 so I figured it would work in the cub too. As far as detailing goes, definately do the rib stitching. I snagged a pair pinking type sissors from mom that she got in a bundle from walmart. They look to be slightly less than 1/8" on the teeth. Definately fabric and I'll make my own landing gear, (have lots of metal working tools in the shop). I want this plane to be presentable enough to go to the annual Cub flyin they have at Kingsbury over by Seguin. The cub den also has ideas on making latches and cockpit details.
Edwin

PS- Take a look at Kingsbury's web site. I arranged a tour for our club that was really entertaining. Got to wonder around their shop and saw the Fokker D7 they hadnt started restoring yet.
http://www.vintageaviation.org/aerodrome/index.html
Old 08-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Edwin

Well, Just ordered the BUSA 1/4 Cub and the L-4 plans. I wont do a build thread but will post pictures at major junctions in the build process.
Thanks for the info guys.
Later
Edwin
Old 08-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Jigley3

Hi Edwin............ I haave a sig1/4 cub with Os 120 pumped surpass ....WAY More power than needed to fly it "CUB LIKE" seldom if ever is it wide open. If I was doing it again I would use my Os 91 Surpass.... bert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.