Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tips for using Elmers Pro Bond to sheet Lanier Stinger 10 foam wing

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tips for using Elmers Pro Bond to sheet Lanier Stinger 10 foam wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 03:58 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips for using Elmers Pro Bond to sheet Lanier Stinger 10 foam wing

Ok...up to sheeting my wing on a Lanier Stinger 10 kit I'm working on. Read lots of good stuff all over the map about using Elmers Pro Bond Polyurethane glue to sheet wood to foam.

Any tips or caveats I need to know about to use this stuff and get the "right" result? It says it needs water to cure. Do I need to sponge up the foam wing before applying the glue? Is it best to spread it thing on the wood or the wing using something like a squegee (sp?).

I used to use 3M 77 spray but this stuff seems pretty cool and give you some time to get the alignment right. It also is supposed to penetrate into the foam to give an unbeatable bond.

Geesh...you would think I worked for Elmers?

Any input is appreciated before I tackle this over the weekend!
Old 03-02-2002, 05:04 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just get a rag wet and wet the two surphaces so they are damp, let is sit a sec, then spread on the glue with maybe a brush?? stick them together and weight or however the peices into place, the glue will do the rest, and yes, it sticks foam very well!! but, it expands too, can get a little messy untiil you figure out how much you need.
Good luck!!
Old 03-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

A light spray with a spray bottle is all that is needed, and only on one surface will suffice. Spread the glue as thin as you can with a Bondo spreader or something similar. It is amayzing how little of this glue will achieve an absolutley aggresive hold. Position the skins and weight it down with the core huls. Or better still vacuum bag it until it cures. You will never go back to 3M #77 (I never liked it) for sheeting wings.

Vince
Old 03-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I didnt use water at all. No problem. However the first panel I ever did I squeegied it on a little too thin, sorta like I was glassing. Had a few loose spots around the edge which were easily fixed. The next panels I put on just a very bit little thicker and all was ok. Just wipe off the excess after it squeezes out. It sands ok, just not as good as some have told me. I will always use this glue now for sheeting. Its great.
Edwin
Old 03-02-2002, 04:14 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this link. Click on article on the left and it will be the first article at the top. It has lots of info. I used this article and I had never sheeted anything, it came out great.

http://www.aerobatix.com/aerobatix/

Bob
Old 03-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

The use of water to help kick the adhesive really depends on how high the humidity is where you live. Down here in SouthEast Texas the humidity is rarely below 80%, so it's pretty much a non issue for me.

Vince