Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Old "SIG" J3-Cub 105" WS ??????????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Old "SIG" J3-Cub 105" WS ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 03:52 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old "SIG" J3-Cub 105" WS ??????????

Hello guys I just purchased a Older about 10-15 year old sig cub 1/4scale kit 105" wing span. Sig does not make this kit anymore and I have been flying for about 6 years but have never built a kit.. I noticed on the kit that it says craftman kit. And throughout the instructions it looks like it takes alot of sanding forming cutting etc... I am a pretty smart fellow just wondering if you guys think I should build a simplier kit first or go on with it just take my time..... Anysuggestions would be appreciated thanks....
Old 06-09-2003, 04:19 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jon:

Sig kits come in two varieties. Your 105" Cub, as you noted, is one of the "Craftsman" series.

The "Craftsman" series is neither for the beginner nor for the faint of heart.

Strongly advise you either to set it aside, or trade it off.

The other side of the Sig coin, a Somethin' Extra for example, is a line of kits that build easily and give excellent results unless you do a bum job on purpose.

As you have noticed, the "Craftsman" kit is a box of srticks. Much effort and skill required to get a good airplane. But when you are up to it, your product will be far beyond what you get from an ARF, or an "Easy build" kit.

Bill.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto!
Old 06-09-2003, 04:29 PM
William Robison

This is a general advice column for anyone who has bought a kit and decided it's too much:
--------------------------------------
NO! I do NOT say sell the kit.

Build a simpler kit, but one that still requires some shaping and sanding.

I'm going to sound like a broken record, if you've followed my posts, but almost any of tbe Northeast Aerodynamics kits (other than the profiles) would be a good one to learn on.

www.ne-aero.com

The profiles actually would be a good starting point, but they're really, in my opinion, just too easy.

And I'm sure there are other good ones, many of the Lanier kits, for example.

If you find you get along well with the woodwork, then you can do the complicated build. Just take your time and follow the instructions.

If the simpler kit gives you a hard time, you can build some more, or go the ARF route and dump the complex kit. I'd be sorry to lose anyone from the kit builders group, though.

But don't just dump a complex kit because you were scared at first seeing a box of sticks. It's not to be afraid of, it's to enjoy the building and flying.

Then you might start building from plans, and someday reach the pinnacle: Your own design, true scratch building.

That's the real peak - your own airplane, all the way from the first idea, to seeing it fly. Gives you REAL bragging rights.

Bill.

PS: People who build from plans just think they're good. Haw. wr.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:03 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sig J3 Cub

Jon

If this is your first wood kit you are building I agree with the others to first start with an easier kit to build. There are alot of easy kits you can build, but that does not mean they don't fly well. If you are looking for a high wing kit any of the Sig Kadet kits are excellent. The Sig 4 start series is an easy build low wing kit. I like the Great Planes Pete-N-Poke kit that is a high wing kit and looks like a 1930 era's plane.

I would not get rid of the Sig J3 because it is a stick build. I have posted a 1/6th scale Sig craftsman series pic of a kit I built. It took 6 months working on it in the evenings. She it the best floater I have and takes to the air in less than 25'. Sig stick build J3's fly with the best of them. Just take your time once you start.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	85067_13720.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	49849  
Old 06-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, how smart are you?
Do you have a scroll saw or a band saw, a table sander, a truly flat surface to build on, enough room to move about a 1/4 scale airplane, know how to use all different types of glue (aliphatic, cyanocrylate and epoxy), covering iron and heat gun and of course an Xacto # 11 blade, one in the knife and 99 others awaiting in the box, if yes to all of the above, you are not only smart but wealthy (by modeling standards, of course) and I would tell you to go ahead and start this project, these Cubs are not difficult to build (Sig's instructions are the best in the field), but they do require a lot of cutting, fitting, some more cutting, sanding, etc. I am sure that by having these tools you would be embarking in a very satisfying project, after all, you are a very smart guy! (It is all said in a jokingly manner and in a spirit of camaraderie and I am a teaser by nature)
Good luck on your project and if you need some advice you can always email me!
Old 06-12-2003, 02:58 AM
linclogs

Walter!!!
You would actually suggest covering a nice scale Cub with (UGH!) PLASTIC COVERING????? (Quote: "Do you have a.... covering iron and heat gun...")

Come on, man! Silk (or some type of cloth) and dope!!!

(Hey - I'm a teaser, too!)
Old 06-12-2003, 03:26 AM
William Robison

Abe's Peeled Tree Trunks: (That's Lincoln's Logs)

A little slack, please. If Jon does a nice job building the plane, then of course he should use fabric.

If it's a bum job or just marginal slap some plastic on and find a fish to sell it to. Or just crash it and build a better one.

If Jon learns from it it can never be considered a total loss.

If he's careful and takes his time he'll have a beautiful airplane. Fabric covered, of course.

Bill.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Walter D

I never said to use plastic iron on, but how else are you going to cover with polyester covering without using an iron to seal the perimeter and then a heat gun to shrink it, before applying the dope, whatever you are going to cover it with, for a profesional finish an iron and a heat gun are a must. Don''t tell me I've been doing it wrong for the last 30 years!
Old 06-12-2003, 12:44 PM
linclogs

Hey, Walter - I've been using silk and dope for nigh on 50 years - and never owned a covering iron or heat gun! I know, I know - call me old fashioned. It's just that that's the way I learned how to cover a model (that was the only way to do it back then!) and I never changed. I DO envy those that can completely cover a model (with plastic) in one evening, though. Can't do that with silk and dope!
Old 06-13-2003, 01:35 AM
Walter D

Default linclogs

Give'em a try, you'll like'em, heat gun is great to dry hair in a hurry! (he,he! )
Old 06-13-2003, 03:20 AM
linclogs

Yea Walter, I think I'm going to have to invest in them.

I thought about sneaking my wife's hair dryer but know that could be instant death! And that damn iron (the one she irons clothes with) is too big to get into the small spots!

I've got several quarter scales to build (my first attempts at that size) and want to try Koverall. I love my silk, but it's almost too expensive for large models. I've hoarded a bunch of silk, but several large models would wipe out a lot of my stock. Koverall sure looks inviting but I will definitely need the covering iron and the heat gun!
Old 06-13-2003, 03:48 AM
William Robison

Linc:

Using the Koverall you can still dope it down. It doesn't have adhesive on it, works like silk. Dope it down and then use heat to shrink it. Finally, dope it. Except for heat instead of water for the initial shrink it works like silk.

Super Coverite, though does have adhesive. And it comes prefinished - no dope needed.

Bill.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Building a Sig 1/4 Scale Cub ain't rocket science! Relax! It is a lot of work though because it's a big airplane with old technology. If you still want a Cub and one that's easier to build, I'd go with the Sig 1/5th scale...a nicer airplane because it's a laser cut kit, has more scale detail, and in a more manageable size. My Sig 1/4 scale Cub flew for 7 years before I sold it because I just got tired of looking up at a yellow airplane. They are gentle fliers and are very sturdy.

Yak