Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM
smkrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

belairbob,
Can you post the link to the thread?
Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by balsatermite
Can I be a brother to ? I have a 40 and a 60 in the boxes. The 40 is getting twin OS 25 FSRs and the 60 gets my OS 61 FSR with a tuned pipe. My grandson and I will be starting on 1 of them tomorrow evening, his choice >>
I would love to see a twin Ultra Sport 40.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:12 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Shawn,
I guess that's my bad here. Because of Mike's death and my absence from this thread I didn't realize that you had already been here in the brotherhood, so I apologize. Guys, you have no idea how much it hurt me when I lost Mike. He was like a brother to me (actually he was more than that to be totally honest with you all) and coming in there just struck a nerve that I wasn't ready to deal with until now. So I'm glad that Shawn has been here in the ground and isn't a stranger to the group as it makes all of this so much easier as we move this project down the road!!!!

Ken
I promise, I'm NOT stalking you Ken...
I also have not visited this thread in I dont know how long.
(I'm looking for photos of my old US60 that I gave to my nephew Jake (Mikey's kid))

US 1000 with a DLE30.... OOOOO yeah... I think that's gonna be a good one!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have 2 US 1000 kits of my own sitting on the shelf in my own stash that I've been thinking about building up. If this build for Shawn goes as well I as I hope it will I may turn around and build one of my own for myself!!! It's been a bit of time since I've had a flying US and I'm really getting a bit twitchy to have one in the air!!!

Ken
Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 PM
rastus1

I will be looking forward to this build also. Just received my DLE30 for my US1000. I am in the process of tiding up the shop to make room for my build.
I also don't see any big problems with fitting the engine in the allowed area. A little tight but manageable. As for landing gear still deciding on Air or Mechanical retracts, and I will build mine as a tail dragger.
I found that by moving the landing gear mounts out one wing bay further in the wing I can easily accommodate the longer gear legs I will need for prop clearance. I tested my theory on my US60 I just finished and it works nicely.
I had not thought of including a smoke system, but that would be a nice feature to have.

Good luck with your build,
Rastus1
US Brotherhood #23
Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I've got a couple of US 60's short kit's that were cut buy Lazer Works down in Wichita Falls, Texas buy Eddy that I've been thinking of doing a twin with. I've been thinking that a couple of Magnum 52 would really cool on there would really cool, or maybe even Magnum 90's. hmmm, lots of thinking to do. This is not a anywhere near close to being a project that's close to being started to I have tons of time to figure out what to do on on it.

However, on to this project on teh boards, This one will be starting very VERY VERY soon. so I've got to get things figured out very soon here. :
Here's my observations with the engines and the planes sitting at the kitchen table. There is plenty of room for the engine in the nose of the plane. The engine will go into the nose inverted and will have oodles's of room (yes, oodles is a technical term, look it up!!!!! ). The owner want's the do a trike landing gear, which is good by me because I love a US with trike gear on it. I'm hoping to convince him to do maybe 105° to rake it out front a little bit for a little bit of a fighter jockey look to it. I think the nose jutted forward is going to look really cool. the only problem is that is there isn't room for it. Stock gear is going to fold up into the leading edge of the wing. Got to figure that one out. I may actually put the wheel well as part of the leading edge of the wing. ok, ad that the list of things to figure out. Going to have to figure out where to put the fuel and smoke tanks as well.

As far as build cams go. Rigth now I am planning on having 2 build cams set up for this projects. I only have one ground rules for biuld cams that I setup guys. If/when I take a break from working no giving me a hard time when I'm sitting around with my feet up on the desk!!!! I know I need to clip my toenails!!! I don't need to be reminded from you all!!!!! ;P

Ken
Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
I know I need to clip my toenails!!! I don't need to be reminded from you all!!!!! ;P

Ken
anyone have anything I can wash my mind's eye out with???

seriously, a twin US does sound like fun...
Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How twin we talking? Two engine pods or Two fuselages like a P-38? Will there be a toe nail clipper storage?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:50 PM
BelAirBob

Here you go.....thread to all the RCM's

KaP2011 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - RC Modeler Magazines/Articles are available to you! - in the Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD forum of RC Forums - RC Universe discussion forums for RC cars, rc trucks, rc airplanes, rc helis, rc boats, rc jets, rc electric helis, rc electric planes and more.

This thread is located at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/show...2&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
All I can say is wow, what a great thing to do for the hobby. RCM was the magazine that got me started in the hobby back in 1991. I, as most of us reading here, would love to have the entire collection of pdf' s. I look forward to the possibility of being able to download from a website. Thank you for such a tremendous gift.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will an OS 108 FSR be a good choice for a US1000? Not that I have a kit but I do have the engine. Just curious.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM
sdcranford
My Feedback: (4)

The kit left here yesterday (Thursday) and should arrive Monday. The 2 receivers are in the box and I've ordered the DLE 30 to be shipped direct to Ken.

So excited to get this thing started.

Ken, the reason I'm so excited for you to be doing this project is your building skill and knowledge. So I'm going to defer to your opinion on things like retracts, etc.

I had a T-28 Trojan that had a notch in the center leading edge of the wing for nose gear retract clearance.

Last edited by sdcranford; 02-28-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:23 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Another worry I had initially was weight difference between a gas engine and the 40-stroke that this plane was designed for. The US 1000 was designed for a 120 Surpass 4-stroke and if you look at the specs on that engine the DLE-30 is only about 5-6 oz heavier (with ignition module and battery) than the Surpass so it's not as big of an issue as I thought it was going to be.

Ken
Actually, the US 1000 was designed for the OS Supercharged 120, or the OS 160 twin, or the Super Tiger 2500, all of which are heavier than the basic OS 120 FS. And it was designed with a 72" span, so the long wing 80" kit version should have no trouble carrying the DLE 30. Or twin 91's for that matter.

Jim
Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 PM
sdcranford

I had a US 1000 with a ST 3000. It flew fantastic, but I could never get the idle down on the ST. I should have grounded it until I could get a FS for it. Instead I would flip the switch to kill the throttle. One day I bumped the right control stick and it went in from 10 feet in the air. I miss that airplane to this day.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
anyone have anything I can wash my mind's eye out with???

seriously, a twin US does sound like fun...
You want to see a US twin that will make you cry and drool at the same time??? take a look at this sweet little baby!!!!

I don't have anything to go on besides this one little picture. I've been working on some of the details over time but don't have too much worked out yet, but will be when I get around to it. But it's not going to be too hard to figure it all out to get the details sorted out the details on the pods for the engines. Anyway, here is the US twin that I want to copy and build.

Ken

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra-sport_twin.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	1973550  
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 PM
sdcranford

You should not have posted that Twin US, I have 2x 60s and a 40 that will have to be built eventually , that thing looks amazing.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

The one in the picture was a 60 size kit built with 40 sized engines. I would love to see a 60 size fuselage built with on maybe some 4-Stroke 91's!!!!!! Or even better. That would be one sweet ride indeed!!!!!

Might be a neat project down the road indeed for sure!!!!

Ken
Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Twin_Flyer

Have a link to the thread!?

Never mind, found the post!!!

Great Planes did bring back the US 1000 for a short run several years ago. If they get enough people asking it may happen again...

And that twin looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Bill S>

Last edited by Twin_Flyer; 02-28-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:32 PM
balsatermite

That is a beautiful bird.. My twin will have the engines in nacells also.. Got the verticle stab about 80% done this evening. My grandson never left my side and was full of questions..
Old 03-01-2014, 03:35 PM
BelAirBob

I had an MDS 1.48 on mine. I still have the RCM engine review which Clarence Lee tested the engine favorably. I had nothing but trouble. Horizon H sent me several different carburetors and replaced the engine once. It's final flight ended when the engine died, once again at the wrong time. I think an OS 1.20 AX would work fine if built light enough. If I remember, the kit did call for a ST2300

bob
Old 03-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Ken speaking of the Ultrasport 1000 I have wanted one for some time but you rarely see them up for sale. I wonder what the chances are of Great Planes doing another run of kits? Even if it is just a limited run of "X" amount of kits.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BelAirBob
I had an MDS 1.48 on mine. I still have the RCM engine review which Clarence Lee tested the engine favorably. I had nothing but trouble. Horizon H sent me several different carburetors and replaced the engine once. It's final flight ended when the engine died, once again at the wrong time. I think an OS 1.20 AX would work fine if built light enough. If I remember, the kit did call for a ST2300

bob
Just a quick question, did you ever try a low nitro fuel in your MDS?? I fiddled with the smaller engines and all but one .68 was junk. Then it hit me, these were high compression engines so I tried just using 5% and they ran a lot better. Never tried the 1.48.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by Super08
Ken speaking of the Ultrasport 1000 I have wanted one for some time but you rarely see them up for sale. I wonder what the chances are of Great Planes doing another run of kits? Even if it is just a limited run of "X" amount of kits.
I'll go to the horse's mouth when I get to Toledo in April and ask Art Pesch from Hobbico and see what he says about it.

Ken
Old 03-01-2014, 06:15 PM
wlnybakken

I too would also be very interested in the 1000. Glad to see this thread is still flying!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 PM
BelAirBob

Gray Beard, I tried everything. It was just not a reliable engine. I think Horizon got stuck with a lot of costs. I think there just was not a carb that matched the engine

i would be all for a US1000 kit too. We did get the 40 and 60 rekitted. I wonder if enough were sold to make it worthwhile
Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM
tassiemark

Hi everyone, I thought you Ultrasport groupies might be able to help me, it seems that VQ models have a new model called a Taipan 60/90 glow or electric that looks to be becoming available downunder here in Australia, it looks like it is being imported as an ARF and also as a ready to cover airframe only, I have to say it looks incredibly like an Ultrasport 60 with a plastic cowl,any ideas? the information I have at this stage is very scarce but it does look promising as it can be bought uncovered...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.