Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one problem with ultra cote , there is less colour selection than there is with monokote . You can go on line and get a very good look at the colour selection by going to a site like great hobbies and looking at the coverings and then ultracote etc.. That will show you what you are looking for
Old 02-16-2014, 10:24 AM
bikerbc

I just went to the Great Hobbies site to have a look at the coverings and the Ultracote is found in the coverings under Hanger 9 . There is a nice pearl black ..
Old 02-16-2014, 05:03 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just recently covered a US 40 with the new formula monokote and after I got used to useing it and got my temp. right it worked fine. I too was not happy when they changed the formula but I think it just takes getting used to it. After you get the temp right it is not that bad to work with.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to let the Brotherhood known that I lost one of my two Ultrasports back in December when the aileron servo froze up during a knife edge. She was a total loss. Had her since 1997 and was a daily flyer. But on the bright side, I still have another one ready to fly and a kit I can build.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM
KaP2011

Every airplane has an expiration date, even Ultra Sports. Still, it sucks to have a perfectly good airplane die a horrible death.

Ok, greaving time is over, get to building.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 AM
cpeisher
My Feedback: (13)

Been a couple of years since i checked in here...Was looking at building one of these again, can someone help me find the best build threads that in cluded the retracts and flaps. I seem to remember it was MinnFlyer or RCKen who had great build threads on these...Thanks again!

EDIT: found it here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ld-thread.html

I plan to biuld my next one electric *ghasp*

Last edited by cpeisher; 02-25-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 PM
KaP2011

Electric should be fun. Cleaner look as well. Please post photos as you go.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well guys, I need to come here and ask each and every one of the Ultra Sport Brothers here for an apology. It has been almost 2 years since I have been in this thread. Many of you know that I started the Brotherhood with one of my dearest friends Mike Buzzeo (a.k.a. Minnflyer). We are now coming up on the 2 year anniversary of his passing away (may he Rest In Peace) and I'll be totally honest with everybody here in that I haven't been in this thread since Mike passed away. Seeing anything related to an Ultra Sport was just painful to me and reminded me of Mike, so I've stayed out of this thread. Luckily you guys have kept the Brotherhood running without me, and I thank you guys for that. But with it's being 2 years not I think it's time I get back in here, plus I have something else that I need your opinions on.

I have a guy that's been bugging me for quite awhile now to build him an Ultra Sport 1000. We finally cut a deal for me to build the plane for him but I'm wondering if there is enough interest from the brotherhood here in my doing a build thread on the build. Here are the details on the plane and what's going in in.

Ultra Sport 1000
DLE-30
because of ground clearance will be going to a 3-bladed prop
Tri-cycle landing gear
Robart retracts (still deciding if we're doing air or electric)
splitting ailerons and adding flaps

That's about all I can think of right at the moment. So...... is there interest in a US 1000 build thread as I build out the plane for him???

Once again, I want to thank you guys for keeping the Ultra Sport Brotherhood running while I was away. Mike was like a brother to me and when I lost him it just hurt too much to come in here in this thread. But it's time for me to start moving on now.

Let me know know on the build thread.

Ken
Old 02-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Calvinman

Welcome back Ken, I was sorry to hear of Minnflyer passing though I did not know him. I would love to see a build thread on a US 1000! Calvi
Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 AM
smkrcflyer

I would like to see a build thread on the US 1000. Will you be using a kit or cutting the parts out yourself?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I'll be working from a kit. The guy that has this kit and I have actually been going back and forth on this for several years now. He contacted me several years ago about building it for him and we really never got together on it. Then last fall we started talking again. When winter and all the snow/ice hit we really lost talks again. Then a couple weekends ago he held my feet to the fire and got me to commit to doing the build for him. The nice thing is that since I live in SW Oklahoma and he lives in SW Missouri I will be hand delivering the plane to him, so I'll get to see him fly the plane for the first time!!!

Ken
Old 02-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back Ken. It is hard to believe it has been 2 years. I remembe reading in one of the RC mags that he had passed. He was a great help to my brothe in law when he was building his US 1000. I for one would love to follow your build.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
AJsToyz

Yep, I liked Mike, very friendly and always helpfull. His reviews cost me some money, but got a couple nice planes.

Hard to believe its been that long.

Welcome back Ken
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM

Good to see you back Ken. This build thread would be great timing for me as I just today cut out a ribset for the 1000. Going to scratch build one using my kit as templates. I plan on electric retracts with tailwheel and maybe a OS Gemini 160 twin but the cowl will be a challenge. Any ideas on that?
Just finished the US60 so I need to build something else.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Right now the owner of the plane and I are talking about the landing gear and leaning towards going with air retracts. We may look at going with an electric conversion though..

On the cowl, here are my thoughts. I want to do a wood cowl, plain and simple. But what I am wanting to do is build a wood cowl and then cut if off so that it can be taken off and re-attached. Very easy to do so that it's secured with bolts and still have a wood cowl. I'm going to try and get the plane owner to join in the US Brotherhood here.

Ken

Last edited by RCKen; 02-28-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that I plan to have smoke on this US 1000 that I'm building. It's going to have a pitts styles muffler with smoke tap for smoke fluid injection into the muffler and a sullivan smoke writer smoke pump, which will be run from the same battery as the ignition system.

so here we go.

Ultra Sport 1000
DLE-30
Bisson sport pitts muffler with smoke tap
sullivan smoke pump
ailerons split into flaps
tri-cycle landing gear setup for retracts, more than likely setup for air retracts (but might go electric. not sure yet)
Dual elevator servos
Single rudder servo. Haven't decided yet but might go with a pull-pull setup.

I think that's about it for right now

Ken

Last edited by RCKen; 02-27-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM
sdcranford
My Feedback: (4)

Hey everybody, Ken is going to be building my US1000. I never said anything because I didn't want to advertise that Ken is doing the build because I know how busy he is. I'm really excited at the interest of a build thread, it would be awesome to see it come from sticks to a flying model.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Shawn,
I guess that's my bad here. Because of Mike's death and my absence from this thread I didn't realize that you had already been here in the brotherhood, so I apologize. Guys, you have no idea how much it hurt me when I lost Mike. He was like a brother to me (actually he was more than that to be totally honest with you all) and coming in there just struck a nerve that I wasn't ready to deal with until now. So I'm glad that Shawn has been here in the ground and isn't a stranger to the group as it makes all of this so much easier as we move this project down the road!!!!

Ken
Old 02-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Twin_Flyer

Welcome Back Ken!!

I will definitely be following your build. I have a 1000 and would to convert it to gas so id be interested in any changes you make to the kit.

Recently was given a second 1000 thats all framed up and built from scratch as well...

Bill S.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I sat down with a DLE-30 in my hands and the plans in front of me and I just don't see any real issues that are going to come with putting that up front. My plans are going to be to do it with the head of the engine underneath the engine. The only real problems that I can foresee is going to be the cowl, it's going to get a bit tight in there with getting everything put in inside of that wooden cowl. That's why I'm actually thinking of making a removable wooden cowl, so that it can all be taken off when it's time to work on the engine. Or at the very least and access hatch when so that I can get to the engine.

Another worry I had initially was weight difference between a gas engine and the 40-stroke that this plane was designed for. The US 1000 was designed for a 120 Surpass 4-stroke and if you look at the specs on that engine the DLE-30 is only about 5-6 oz heavier (with ignition module and battery) than the Surpass so it's not as big of an issue as I thought it was going to be.

The nice thing about going gas is I now will have the option of moving the fuel and smoke tanks to where I need them to be instead of right behind the firewall. Since we are talking about a gas engine it's going to be pumped and I don't have to worry about muffler pressure to get fuel to the carb, this give me the flexibility of moving the tanks around inside the fuselage if I need to in order to balance things up. It's going to be a fun build. that's for sure!!!!

Ken
Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Ken I would subscribe to it as well. I often thought that would be a sweet plane with a DLE 30 in it.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Welcome back Ken, I have done my best to keep the count going and I really enjoyed keeping it in check. Reading posts about everyone's story about the Ultra Sport is fascinating to me.

A build thread for the 1000 you say? Make it happen by all means I will even subscribe to it to see the progress. I very much like to see how that DLE 30 will fit on that plane but in my humble opinion I think the DLE 20 will by a much better choice for power and balance without having to worry about prop clearance but if you already have the 30 in hand well that just means that is one less thing to have to buy later. I cant remember where I have seen a tank but somewhere I have seen what is called a side by side tank which means that there is a tank that has 2 individual compartments in one bottle so that may save or help with that endever, but I use to have a US 1000 and I would still have it if the battery didn't take a crap all I have left is a half of a wing panel. Any way show us your US 1000 build and lets see the magic happen. May Mike rest in peace.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM
balsatermite

Can I be a brother to ? I have a 40 and a 60 in the boxes. The 40 is getting twin OS 25 FSRs and the 60 gets my OS 61 FSR with a tuned pipe. My grandson and I will be starting on 1 of them tomorrow evening, his choice >>
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 AM
Twin_Flyer

While i agree the 20 would fit easier and will probably fly it, i don't think it would have to really fly the plane and make it fun.

My 1000 has a tires non-surpass OS 120 FS in it and i was planning on moving to a Saito 150, but with the cost of fuel gas would be a better choice (for me anyway) but I have a feeling retrofitting a 30 CC into it may be more work then i want...

There was another thread on RCU with the same idea but a different engine, seems to have died right after the plane was completed though.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spor...000-gas-2.html

Bill S.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:57 AM
BelAirBob

There is another thread going with a guy who scanned all the issues of RCM. So he has the articles with the US 60 and 1000 build if anyone is interested. Wish we could get Tower to rekit but guess we were lucky with the 40 and 60.

regards,
belairbob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.