Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
wattmeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint

Need a little help, I'v built a Sig Astro Hog and will be covering it with Sig coverall.
What would be the best paint to use? and what would be the best way to Fuel Proof it?
Thanks
wattmeter
Old 06-09-2010, 04:40 PM
shd3920

Default RE: Paint

The best paint to use on these types of covering are always Butyrate dopes, I am doing one now with Brodak dope and silkspan. But even Rustoleum is fuelproof after a few weeks of curing. But I'd go with the dope finish.

Here it is
http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ProductID=6735

But you first need a few coats of this
http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ProductID=6796

Mixed 50/50 with this before painting, but use 1 coat full-strength on framework for the covering to adhere to. Unless you are ironing the covering on, in which case you just apply 2-3 coats of clear dope thinned 50/50 with thinner
http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ProductID=6803
Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 PM
wattmeter

shd3920
If I read it right the paint is fuel proof so why the clear dope?
Do you like silkpan better than coverall? and do you spray or brush on you paint?
Sorry for all the questions but this new to me (coverall and dope,paint).
wattmeter
Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
shd3920

shd3920
For silkspan that I am using you have to put a coat or two of clear dope full strength on the framework. This acts as an adhesive so that the silkspan will stick when you put the top coats of thinned dope on the covering itself. The thinned dope on the covering softens the dope on the framework so that the covering adheres when it dries.

If you are going to iron the covering on you will still need a couple coats of clear dope mixed 50/50 with thinner to fill in the weave in the material so the colored dope will not pool inside.

Do you like silkpan better than coverall? and do you spray or brush on you paint?
Yes, personally I like the silkspan better, but it does have less strength than the coverall. And I brush the dope on. Dries very quick.

Although I will be powering it electric and I don't need the fuelproofing I love the silkspan and dope look.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 PM
wattmeter

ORIGINAL: shd3920

shd3920
For silkspan that I am using you have to put a coat or two of clear dope full strength on the framework. This acts as an adhesive so that the silkspan will stick when you put the top coats of thinned dope on the covering itself. The thinned dope on the covering softens the dope on the framework so that the covering adheres when it dries.

If you are going to iron the covering on you will still need a couple coats of clear dope mixed 50/50 with thinner to fill in the weave in the material so the colored dope will not pool inside.

Yes, personally I like the silkspan better, but it does have less strength than the coverall. And I brush the dope on. Dries very quick.

Although I will be powering it electric and I don't need the fuelproofing I love the silkspan and dope look.
Thank for all the info.
wattmeter