Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

West Systems epoxy

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

West Systems epoxy

Old 08-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default West Systems epoxy

I am going to glass my next project. I have been told that West Systems epoxy is the best to use for this. Which one do I buy. ? There are several to chose from.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:54 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: West Systems epoxy

Depends if you are going for a one shot deal then finishing resin multiple coats laminating resin.

West epoxy is sensitive to the exact mix ratio being used get ti wrong and it takes for ever to go off and may never cure correctly. MIX BY WEIGHT.

Their web site has lots of good info.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:06 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

use the 206 slow hardener, and the 105 resin . if you mix it less than 4 or 5 parts resin to 1 part hardener , it will turn to rubber.i go
5 to 1
i usually apply it with a small roller. its going to take 24 hours to dry and by the way ware a resperator, because the fumes are
extremely toxic and do it in a well ventilated area
Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use 105/206 and the pump system West sells. Never had a problem and have had excellent results every time I mix. Good stuff in my experience.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about Z poxy finishing resin?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:16 PM
mboland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The West Systems epoxy is good, but you do need to roller it on, then squeegee it off carefully to get a good even covering.

What I have found is Epiglas HT9000, which is a bit thinner, lighter, applies more easily, wets out easier, and doesn't gel as much during use as the West Systems. 

Old 08-29-2010, 03:14 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used the pumps they sell seperately...never had a problem.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Oldbob

I have used West Systems Epoxy for many years. i am using the 5:1 mix with 206 hardener. However the last two batches cured rubbery and soft. Very difficult to sand. What did i do wrong? is the epoxy getting too old to use?

Bob
Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used West Systems Epoxy for many years. i am using the 5:1 mix with 206 hardener. However the last two batches cured rubbery and soft. Very difficult to sand. What did i do wrong? is the epoxy getting too old to use?
I suggest you switch over to Polyester "laminating" resin.

You can buy the stuff by the Qt., at most Auto Body supply stores, you can buy hardener separate, AND use simple Acetone to thin it down.

You can add micro-baloons, from a mix that can be used as glue, to a dry mix, that can be used as a filler.

I'm going to catch hell for this suggestion, so I might as well add this, I've been using Polyester resin, probably longer than most have been in this hobby.

Now, go ahead and lie about how long you've been in the hobby!

Issues, I've never had an issue with Polyester resin, and as I've said, I use it for everything, including the making of this cowling for this Gee Bee Z. You can also see it used as a filler on this same model. This pattern ship was glassed with Polyester resin well over 15 years ago, and still looks great today!

Polyester resin, Polyester resin, Polyester resin, has a nice ring to it also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31134.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1634738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20092.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1634739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87784.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1634740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59815.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1634741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36624.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1634742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60667.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	1634743  
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

sounds like a bad mix , if you go 5 to 1 you should not have a problem
Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 PM
nitrobomber

I have been using Gideon Bros. products for 18 years (the makers of West System) as a professional boat builder, and I personally would not use it to glass an rc plane. For one thing, The 105 resin is too thick and would be heavy and difficult to pull the excess resin out. Ideally you would want something thinner, and if you thin the 105, then you start running into problems. Also, you would need to purchase the pumps to mix the product properly to ensure a full cure. Save yourself the hassle, and money, and get some Z Poxy and thin it. Or, go with the ployester.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:36 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Skip

What about Z poxy finishing resin?
Z-Poxy works great. I used it on my current build, a 1/4 Cessna 195.

Name:	Jh15131.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1635415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40264.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1635416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51869.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1635417  
Old 07-15-2011, 02:58 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I've used the 105/206 combo with the metering pumps for years also,, never had a bad batch,, I use drug store rubbing alcohol to thin it when I'm using lighter cloth if need be,, also never a problem.

Sure you'll have to do some sanding,, that's just how it is

Avaiojet
If you like Poly,, that's great,, I gave up on it years ago,, just to volatile IMO I found it way easier to mix up a slow or hot batch,, epoxy is way more consistent as far a pot time goes
Old 07-15-2011, 03:48 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are going to perform structural layups, then use epoxy laminating resin to get the job done. Sounds like in this case you are only preparing the surface for painting, so why not just use Minwax single component urethane over 1/2 or 3/4 oz. cloth, it is lighter, easier to work with, more cost effective, and will render as good a surface for painting as any two component finishing resin. Just saying...

Bob
Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Oldbob

Thanks for the feedback. Well I mixed up a small test batch being carful to have exactly a 5:1 ratio. It cured just fine as always. How I am wondering where my ratio went wrong. Did I have too much or too little of the hardener? If the wrong ratio causes it to become rubbery; than the wrong ratio the other way should cause if to become brittle. I think.

Hay Bob do you use oil base or water base urethane?

Bob
Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It is oil based.

Bob
Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Crash-RCU

If you are just going to glass over a solid surface instead of covering it with film, just us Z poxy or Bob Smiths Finish cure epoxy. I used the finish cure on my last project, I had never used it before and was very happy with it. Went on very well and squeeged off nicely. Both epoxies are a 1 to 1 mix so it is hard to screw it up, but I am sure it can be done though.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Avaiojet

I have been using Gideon Bros. products for 18 years (the makers of West System) as a professional boat builder, and I personally would not use it to glass an rc plane. For one thing, The 105 resin is too thick and would be heavy and difficult to pull the excess resin out. Ideally you would want something thinner, and if you thin the 105, then you start running into problems. Also, you would need to purchase the pumps to mix the product properly to ensure a full cure. Save yourself the hassle, and money, and get some Z Poxy and thin it. Or, go with the ployester.
Dragzila,

Good advice, and I've been saying this for years!

Thanks for that!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

West Systems epoxy if by far the best for structural laminations and for carbon graphite or kevlar. For finishing balsa to paint I would use Polyester resin and .5 to .75 oz glass cloth. It is plenty strong, light weight, and easy to apply. Use only enough resin to leave a weave pattern behind, do not fill the cloth all the way. Sand lightly and prime to fill the top of the weave. Some people have good results by painting on the resin, laying on the cloth, and blotting excess resin off with a hand wrapped in many layers oftoilet paper. Don't laugh, it works great.

Good luck
Scott
Old 07-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I gave up using any type of resin or epoxy a couple years ago. Once I tried the Deft sanding Lacquer there was no going back. I just started glassing my new plane yesterday. Deft is a lot easier, lighter and the smooth finish without a lot of sanding is priceless.

Name:	Vt58695.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1641236  
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Avaiojet

Gray,

Hey! Keep no secrets! X polyester guy.

Open the can! Is it clear! I would try it, I have plenty of stuff to cloth up. All this stuff!

Show the aplication and the results!

Name:	Fc90290.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	1641241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93702.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	1641242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59384.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	1641243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88770.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	1641244  
Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I took photos yesterday but it was pretty much only step two. I will be taking photos and do a HOW TO thread in a few weeks. I can't do any more to it right now, lot of people flowing into town for a big wedding and party this week. Should start pulling in any minute.
Step one: give your sanded plane two coats of the Deft Sanding Sealer then use fine sand paper to block sand your plane. It will be smooth as silk. Step two: lay your glass onto the wood and just paint the Deft over the glass and work out all the wrinkles if you get any. I get almost none, I brush a samll area at the top and the Deft sticks the glass to the wood so I then start painting it the other direction. From then on you just give everything another coat of Deft. When dry you can sand off the over lap edges then give it another coat. After three coats it's up to you if you need more coats. depends on what weight glass you used. I like 1/2 and 3/4 ounce cloth. Now just do the other side the same way. Final coat I mix a 50/50 blend of Deft and Talc or baby powder. It's just there to fill any weave you may have. When dry just sand almost all of the final coat off. You can prime to paint if you like. I usually use Klass kote paint and it doesn't require any prime over the Deft. When I'm finished glassing I will be able to tell you how much weight wass added with the glassing. Bone dry my plane came in at 6 pounds. It's a 1/4 scale 80 inch Sukhoi and the low weight was a very big surprise even to me. I hope to get this one to come out at 12 pounds when finished or close to it.
Cool, I heard a car door close!!!!!!!!!! Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used the polester resin before and if the catalyst and resin are old it will never get totaly hard. I had this happen before and when I contacted the vendor they had me read the date code and said, there's your problem. It took alot of sanding with 60 grit paper to get it off, so ck the date code. It also sets up faster than epoxy 20min max in most cases. I like this process here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rcKyCMDBJE I also want to try the deft process and also the w.b
poly. I agree the best way to mix epoxy is to weigh it. I recommend making up some sample pieces.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
pilotx
My Feedback: (2)

I use West systems and the pumps they sell works great thinned with lacquer thinner and it works great nice hard surface, i have never had an issue with getting the mix right the pumps do it for me thinning help flow the product out i fill the weave with building primer.

Water based polyacrlic works great too I have a 60 size F4U-1 where weight is a big problem and the process with WB poly works great however the surface is alittle softer when completed so be very careful with the finished plane...

my .02 cents