Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

LMH is out of control

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

LMH is out of control

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 11:49 PM
airshares-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLYING THE LMH

I started with the Alton Gyro on my LMH. I bought the upgrade thinking it would help me out........i really didnt' notice any difference. However I might now have had my sensitivity turned high enough on my gyro. If hadn't broken the muffler strap and got sick of crashing I probably would keep trying it....Ive been busy flying my electric Zagi and my P-40 to mess with the LMH. But lately Ive really wanted to get back into Helis.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:04 AM
motorhead-RCU

Default LMH is out of control

I will post this again. If you have never flown a heli before then this is one of the best ways to learn other than a simulator.

"First we need some back ground on your experience. It sounds like this is your first heli. If it is then best bet would be to find another LMH flyer and have them check out your heli. Then with some training gear you need to practice controlling is while not getting higher than 3". That is inches not feet. Once you can comfortably move the heli to where you want it then you can start getting some altitude. As for the stability, I can let go of both sticks for 5 seconds easy on a calm day. Yours when set up right should be able to do this. If you do not have anyone to help you then ask us. You do need to provide a very complete explanation of what the heli is doing.We will be glad to help. "

You want a smooth paved surface and training gear. You do not want to even get off of the ground untill you have the controls figured out. Just get it lite on the gear and scoot it around. It will not take long to figure out and then you can start short hops.
Mike
Old 01-23-2003, 02:37 AM
10karer
My Feedback: (2)

Good post motorhead I will second the statement that that we will try to help!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 02:54 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no other flyers near me that I know of, may find someone at the swapmeet sat, yes 1st heli, have training gear on, mistake trying to fly it in the grass, wont try that again, hope to have part in by saturday....it seemed to be behaving ok ,even after the grass strike piniongear/shear ,,I held it in my hand (above my head) to run out the tank and all the controls were very responsive and set correctly .....I'll let you know how it goes, next time.. Rog
Old 01-23-2003, 05:35 AM
darthdrk

Im still flying a stock 110 LMH. Im using the mechanical gyro(arlton) and dont have any problems. If you dont have a simulator and still want to practice with the LMH, I would suggest building the training gear and finding a parking lot. Try not to get to high off the ground. Learn to skim across the a flat pave surface being in control of your heli, IE: your heli is going where you want it to go. Also practice rudder control (tailrotor). After doing that and getting the hang of it, try small hops off the ground until you are confident in keeping the heli from wandering. Its going to take alot of patients. Learn not to over comphensate the heli controls, you get in big trouble when you do that. As for the FMS simulator, yes the price is right. It gets you use to how to react and comphensate while flying. I dont use an interface cable hooked to my transmitter. I went and bought a Thrustmaster firestorm game controller. It had the dual joysticks like the transmitter, I think I paid $20.00 for it. I definitely can tell that it has made a difference in flying. Good for learning control functions when flying nose in. I have over a year, almost two on the LMH and still find it hard to put it down. Now Im in the process of designing new skins for the Heli. Its been addictive for me.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 AM
RobertWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

I can fly my modifed 110 with it's .07 and pie something gyro alot easyer then trying to fly one on the computer, guess it's just me, but I have learned one thing not to do, start on the ground at idle and smacke the thottle to full all at once, little gyrp thingy couldnt keep up at forst, and it hurts like heck trying to catch that thing (110 with engine off) falling from over 200 feet, <-----I must be nuts.....

oh well, I do know if I tryed that with a rappy or what ever, I could fire it back up and try hovering some more, that is one thing you have to love about a LMH, it is one tuff little bird, alot tuffer then the "real" ha ha ha heli's, and plus darth is right I have also never seen a full size heli hover upside down..<---- that would be something though.

JTerrell does that mean that the "lifestar" heli that has to pick me up atleast once a year isnt real also ???
Old 01-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Wright Flyer

Originally posted by flyinrog
dont you have to buy a fake tx to practice with?.. how good is fms anyway, all I ever hear about is G-2
There's another FREE simulator you can download - Pre Flight and it's heli simulation is supposed to be MUCH more realistic than FMS. However, like FMS you DO need to get an interface so you can connect your Tx as a controller. My personal favourite is the USB-JSIM from www.rc-electronics.co.uk. OK it is $45 but that's a lot less than G2 and you don't have to crash a heli much to spend $45!

Cliff
Old 01-23-2003, 03:00 PM
RobertWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Wright Flyer

have you had a LMH ??, I have crashed mine more then I can count, and still havent spent anything on it, beside upgradeing the engine and tail, but that wasnt because of a crash...as far as I'm conserned, the LMH was made to be crash, well almost, but with 2 gallions of fuel in mine, and a million crashes, and no out of the pocket repair bills, a person could ask for a better "unreal" heli..
Old 01-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Trying to take off and go directly to forward flilght doesn't make much sense. You'll never learn to hover that way. If all you want to do is forward flight, sell it and get an ugly stick.

Straight advice from someone who learned heli on LMH and hasn't ever flown another heli:

1) Read the F'n flight manual and understand what it says. Do what it says. One of the better manuals for how to get started I've ever seen.

2) Use the training gear - dowels & ping-pong balls. (per the manual)

3) Use blade grips for 5-pitch ( a 4 and a 6) then retrack the blades. (per the manual)

4) Add an ounce or two of weight (is that in the manual?) Screw regular stick-on weights to the crutch as close to the main shaft as you can. Makes the rotor turn faster and the heli has the mass to resist gusts better. I find the heli is less tippy in response to gusts if the wieght is mounted as high as possible.

5) Set the controls for movement just like the manual - then set dual rates for pitch and roll to 50% and start flying on these low rates. I use some expo too.

6) Fly when it's dead calm out to begin with.

7) Fly from a surface that lets the heli slide.

8) If it seems unstable in pitch and/or roll use lower travel or add grub screws to the tips of the short blades (per the manual). If the heli is unstable in yaw, check the tail rotor mount. The little set screw needs to point straight down for the Arlton gyro to work right. If it point straight up, the gyro will actually destabilize the tail rotor and it won't be controlable.

Now here's the trick to starting out well:

Start it and set it down where it can slide. Slowly power it up without getting to flying speed. It will start to slide or lean one way or the other, or it will turn one way or the other. All this without leaving the ground. When this happens, throttle down and add trim to counteract whatever is happening. Be patient, and keep doing this until it starts lifting off without leaning or sliding. It will turn a slight bit, but if it wants to keep turning, it will need opposite trim. Be patient and keep tuning. I have had the LMH tuned for 3-5 sec of hands off flight in still air before.

If that's all too much tinkering, sell the heli. All heli's need to be tinkered with to fly well.

BTW - I use a little piezo gyro on mine. Hobby Shack sells a nice little one for less than $50 that does the job.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:51 PM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

can some1 link me to a online manual of the LMH.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:18 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this will get you to the link , it is Acrobat/adobe...Rog
Old 01-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Joe K

Get one of the free Sims as suggested.
There great when its raining or its -20 degrees out.
There great practice.
I seen a game controller at Radio shack with the duel joy sticks for about $12.99.
I have also had a blast with R/C Stunt Copter for the PS ONE, it's $17 like $27 after shipping. Its more FUN then a Sim and makes fling the LMH a piece of cake. Many don't like, or poke fun at R/C Stunt Copter because it can be humbling when you THINK you are good at heli's and it puts you in your place.
If you can get a GOOD Sim I think you should. Think of it as a tool.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:03 AM
CAP-tivating

Hey airshares... I have a tip to try on your LMH. Try adding 3 to 5 onces of lead weight. When I first tried flying mine I could not even hover it for more than two seconds. It was lifting off with not enough head speed. I have the 061 norvel and have added 5 1/2 onces of weight. In a hover it is now as stable as my collective pitch helis. When hovering the heli it should have a high pitch motor/rpm sound.