Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

GLAMF!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default GLAMF!!

Here I am already bragging about something that isn't already built. RAYMONDs' capitol idea to create a group effort got me to thinking that all we need to make that idea work is a VOLKSPLANE, something that is cheap, easy and has MASS APPEAL. I have no idea if this is THE ONE, I can only say that with some experience with these sheet winged wonders, they have been a great way to build a light, low drag aeroplane that any amount of 1/2A power can haul with style. I'll try to size the fuselage with enough space to easily accomodate a 300 mah pack, and electron RX. A pair of HS55s or the GWS equivalents for servos. Are you with me so far? I picked up a nice sheet of 1/4" x 4 x 48" SIG balsa, and the whole thing only weighed 2.5 ozs, so we are off to a good start. The wing measures 5 1/4" chord x 25" span. I have razor planed it and sanded it to a nice flat bottomed airfoil, just like the STANGs'. Next, I will put in a short spar and fiberglass the center area. After that, cut in the ailerons and the cross grain wing tips and the wing is basically done, until the fuselage progress catches up to it. I plan on using a BIG MIG .061 for power with a 1 oz HAYES tank, which ought to be a pretty typical set up for many flyers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39202.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	296302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28987.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	296303  
Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GLAMF!!

Goes Like A Micro Flite?[sm=lol.gif]

Looks good so far! Did the chord increase that much by the sweep or did you add some TE material?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:49 PM
scudrunner77

Before I read what you were building there, I thought I was looking at a sheet FLYING wing... and that's it. How do you thing that would turn out? Just put a fin in the middle and call it good.

Look good!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 PM
combatpigg

Good Looking And Mucho Fun? The fuselage will be big enough to put servos INSIDE this one, and enough room for 2 aileron linkages, incase anyone wants to do a full roll. Howz that for mass appeal?

The variant to the GLH was the TD SPECIAL, it looked like a pusher style GLH. I had pretty good luck with my pusher, but after a couple of hours, the engine got sludged up with grindings from the front end. It was an AME with a 6x3 GRISH pusher, and gave surprising power! Never had any trouble with the prop hitting my launch hand. Your hand is well clear of the prop with a good hard follow through to the throw.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:42 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey CP there was an Ace GLH on the bay last week, I bid on it for $20 and so I didnt come here and say anything about it,,well I cant find it in my ebay but I think it went for $65??? apparently quite a few people were more interested than I was..looked pretty cool...so how is the new plane coming?...Rog
Old 07-12-2005, 08:05 PM
combatpigg

ROG, the GLH I built was an adventure, a new experience. I have never built another model the same way since. There was thin foam that was on the surface of a wood box to form the fuselage. Probably the first model I ever bought micro servos for [S133s].

Here is some progress of the GLAMF. The aileron cut outs would look better if they were in line with the wing tips, oh well. The fuselage has a little too much roundness for it to be a VOLKSPLANE type model, but it could be built boxy. It will be interesting to see how much trouble I have building in the proper CG, there isn't enough room to stack the battery in with the fuel tank. Worse case, the nose gets lengthened if it is a problem. I figure there will be room for a 555 RX and a 300 pack, though I will use the FEATHER RX.

After looking the photos over, it looks like some area can be removed from the vertical and horizontal stabs, and still be within TLAR limits?

Name:	Wu60215.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	296647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80979.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	296648  
Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 PM
ptulmer

CP, did you add some TE material or is the sweep responsible for the change in chord? Or both?

For areas on the tail I generally use 25% for the horizontal and 15% for the vertical.(of the wing area) That's a very basic rule of thumb that has always worked well. Just measure the area of the stabs the same way as the wing.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:10 PM
combatpigg

PATRICK, I want the wing area to be about 125 sq.", so I came up with 5 x 25. I don't think I could ever go much less than 5" for a 1/2A model, for average chord. Someday when we're all building 6 oz 1/2A models, then those 22 x 4 wings like the NASS guys [ at DELPHI] recommended will bring the 2010 model GLH down to a new level of shrimpyness. It's funny how the mind works, 15 years ago I thought the ACE GLH was the hottest thing going for a TD. Now, with lighter gear it would be even better, and a good choice for the .074 too. Some day, someone here needs to expore what the .074 is capable of in a speed application.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:04 AM
scudrunner77

Glad you got your Jeep back together....

Do you have the engine thrust line up a few degrees, or are my eyes mess'n with me?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:21 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CP, can't you find some decent looking women to hold your models when you photograph them?[sm=bananahead.gif] I have seen way too much of your left forearm and thumb lately. After I got past that the plane looks pretty slick.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-13-2005, 07:20 AM
ptulmer

Hey, CP, the Killer Buzz has a 4" major chord! But a 34" span to give the area. I didn't have any 1/4" stock so I used 3/16. [X(]

Back to the airplane at hand. (sorry, couldn't resist) I assume you just edge glued an extra 1" strip to the 4" piece. How big a spar did you use?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 AM
ProBroJoe

CP, that thing just looks wickedly fast - I can't wait to hear how it flies. Wait, better yet - you need to get us some video!

BTW, I'm gonna have to agree with vicman on the women comment.

-Joe

Old 07-13-2005, 11:28 AM
combatpigg

SR77, I got some new fangled RAYBESTOS synthetic brakes for it and US made rotors. I saw the same thing you did, and checked it [the firewall] with a square, I think the DB mount is holding the engine at an up angle, I'll probably just file the mount beams.

PBJ, It will be pretty fast, but I'm also hoping it will be a good all around flyer too. With this type of wing, a 30" span might be possible without the wing getting too flexible or twisty, and that would be a size more to the liking of the masses maybe.

VICMAN, that's my WIFEs' arm, man[>:].

PATRICK, I edge glued a 1" strip onto the 4" stock. No matter how carefully I do it, there is always a ridge to sand[>:]! The more span you give this model, with the same sweep angle, the more nose heavy it will get. Since I am going with way less span, [than the GLH] I hope the CG works out.

Name:	Hf98136.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	296813  
Old 07-13-2005, 11:49 AM
ptulmer

Great idea for the wingtips! Once again you prove yourself my better. That should stiffen the h*ll out the wings.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 PM
combatpigg

PATRICK, I've been stealing other peoples' ideas for a long time, that's all.

Back to chords, I remember looking at a REYNOLDs number chart that showed model weights and speeds, and one thing stuck with me from that, a 4 inch chord wing needs to be very lightly loaded at medium speed and lower to be doing any flying at all. The numbers were almost twice as good when you move up to a 5" chord, and 6" chord seemed well within the safety zone for most small gas RC models. The other thing to consider is torsional stiffness, whatever we come up with had better not do a wing warping number while we are trying to fly it on the straight and narrow. That is what plagues the FSOD. When it was brand new, it flew pretty good, but now the stressed out wing is too twisty and flexy to fly around with no surprises, this is an extreme example. Another reason why I like more wood fiber, at least at the wing root.

I want to see if this plane will be fun with a BIG MIG and a 6 x 3 prop. It will be easy enough to make a 30" wing to go along with this stubby one, and I'm already rethinking the fuselage, to make it even less work than the first one, but maybe a little more jet like?. I ended up glassing the nose on this one after doing all the shaping and rounding, because the wood was getting thin in some spots, and I don't use doublers, just corner stock.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 PM
combatpigg

The GLAMF goes very nicely! I was disappointed when I ran out of fuel. The roll response is quick, but not hard to control. The long tail makes it very easy to handle in pitch. I had 1/8" either side of nuetral on the ailerons and 3/16" either side of nuetral on the elevator. I tested it with a BIG MIG and AP .061 and both engines were turning 6 x 3 props. The vertical was up, up and away, this plane turned out weighing 11 ozs even. The speed was good and the all around flyability was very good. The only downer was the 1 oz tank, the flights seemed too short. I would think that a 28 or 30 inch version would be right up anyones' alley. I don't have much ambition to try a hotter engine on it right now, if I do that, then it will be set up for bladder feed. BTW, the CG was right on the nutz, so paying attention to the original models' dimensions paid off!

Name:	Ig11978.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	297021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58112.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	297022  
Old 07-14-2005, 01:11 AM
scudrunner77

Congrats on yet another sweet plane! I really like the overall look of this one. The sweptback wing and elevator go together perfect.

How fast does your speed-o-meter think it is?

Any noticeable difference between the AP and BIG MIG?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:04 AM
combatpigg

Thanks, it reminds me of the old GLH, just different without the screaming TD up front. There isn't any difference to speak of between the AP and NORVEL, I would guess the plane was going 45 up wind and 65 downwind? I could try a TD on it with a 4 pitch prop [on back plate pressure] to get some speed out of it. It seems fast enough right now for lively sport flying, though.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:33 AM
ptulmer

Another sweet job there, CP! I know I'm convinced!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 AM
combatpigg

Thanks, PATRICK! Now that I know these dimensions work, the challenge will be to build a dressed up version. Maybe with a V TAIL, but have the tail hooked up for elevator function only, [ not ruddervator], but still going with ailerons? It's funny how this plane tries to unload the sport engines and the big 6x3 prop, you have to send the engine off richer than normal, and the rpm gain is much greater than what you would see with a bigger plane with a thick wing. I was doing pylon laps with it yesterday, and it handled very well. A little more span might be in order, as well as tapering the wing. Nice part about solid sheet wings, if you see something that you don't like, just get the knife out!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:12 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, well now that you know it flys your probably bored with it, so start on the "pretty" version and put that old used up one in the mail to me..JRog
Old 07-14-2005, 11:46 PM
combatpigg

I think this is a side view that looks simple enough to make, but kind of jet like. Anticipating a slight weight gain, I think the wing span should go to 28" and tapered towards the tips. The overall design doesn't change much, just alot more work[>:]!

Name:	Db85831.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	297350  
Old 07-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh no! It'll probably take you 4 hours to build the fancy version. [sm=lol.gif]

Seriosly, good job on another nice plane.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Oh no! It'll probably take you 4 hours to build the fancy version. [sm=lol.gif]

Seriosly, good job on another nice plane.
Yeah, about 4 hours if he takes his time and stops for lunch. CP can build 4 planes while I'm thinking about one.

CP, in all seriousness, you should think about submitting some of your stuff to the model mags -- you could turn in 7 articles a month. I think the Outlaw Mustang would be a great starter. Since you don't like the weight ruling in 1/2A Pylon, get enough of your designs out there and make up your own class.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:35 PM
flyswatter

cp:

Purty! That's a sweet looking side view on your proposed updated design. I swear if you don't build it, I might just steal your design and idea and make a quicky slab-sided look-kinda-alike. Of course, then I guess I would have a slightly modified GLAMF?? Anyway, another good job cp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.