Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Home Hobby Solutions Kwik Fli III Discussion

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Home Hobby Solutions Kwik Fli III Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 06:38 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Home Hobby Solutions Kwik Fli III Discussion

Jeff Petroski at Home Hobby Solutions http://www.homeandhobbysolutions.com/ just announced that his new Qwic-Fly kit is ready to ship. I sent Jeff my payment for his deluxe reproduction kit that looks very much like Phil Kraft’s Kwik Fli III design http://www.homeandhobbysolutions.com...%20Details.htm .

I’ve built a number of Howard Engineering Kwik Fli III taper wing fiberglass kits and I’m flying one now http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2434444/tm.htm and have a spare kit stored away.

I’m a Kwik Fli III fan and I thought it would be neat to add an all wood Kwik Fli III to my Kwik Fli III kit collection for a future build.

If anyone starts building one of Jeff’s Qwic-Flis please keep us updated on your build.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Default RE: Home Hobby Solutions Kwik Fli III Discussion

My kit arrived today and it looks great! A very excellent hardware package, plans, instructions, wood and laser cutting to boot. All that is needed to complete the kit is covering, glue, push rods, push rod links, wheels, fuel tank, fuel tubing, engine mount, engine, spinner, prop and a radio system. Note the tabs on the wing ribs to keep them aligned during building!

Great job making another classic kit available Jeff.

Anyone else on the forum get their kit yet?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66327.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	455406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76402.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	455407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48748.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	455408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48822.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	455409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20963.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	455410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jz39775.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	455411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg77979.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	455412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut66426.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	455413  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw36257.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	455414  
Old 05-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Hueydriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff shipped mine a few days ago....I'm just finishing up his Taurus/Primus and was very impressed by the wood, plans and upgraded engineering from the Top Flite version. Uses tabs on the ribs for alignment as well. I hope to get the Kwik Fli airborne by Aug.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Cherokee Flyer

A number of years ago I had the opportunity to fly one of the original quick-fly III's I remember it doing a thing we called the "quick fly dance"..Anyone had their new ones do this. it was wiggle of the tail from side to side at high speed.

I am currently flying a VK Cherokee with a OS-70 in it and am looking forward to building and flying the Qwic-fli.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 PM

The Kwik Fli dance is an interesting aerodynamic tendency that also applies to a number of other 60s and 70s designs. It tends to happen mostly in heavy turbulent air. My current Howard Engineering Kwik Fli III taper wing with retracts does not seem to have the trait but with the modern 61 engine it may fly too fast and does not have the very long standard size Kwik Fli III canopy. I’ve thought for some time that it is related to the canopy and vertical stab air flow.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:05 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Darn! I need to get one of these! I have an origional Top Flite Kwik Fly III just sitting and in need of some repairs. However, I'm getting lazy.(I just got my Kaos RTF for the year) I will probably get a few kits soon, but I am busy.

please continue with another supurb build thread.

50%
Old 05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Cherokee Flyer

I think the dance was created by the thick wing, the old "hersey bar wing" Cherokee (full size) did the same thing when you got them in rough air. They would put one wing forward and then the other.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Andre G
My Feedback: (2)

If I remember correctly, I beleive the "Kwik Fli Dance" was attributed to the (relatively) thin slab vertical stab. This is coupled with the fact that the straight wing does not contribute to directional stability. Again from memory of an article I read, I beleive it was Phil Kraft himself who found that increasing the the thickness of the vertical stab cured the "dance".

Cheers,

Andre
Old 05-15-2006, 12:06 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got to meet Jeff on Saturday at the VRCS meet. A really great guy and very dedicated to producing a first-rate product. I had the chance to look over his red Kwik Fki (the one in his pics) and it's a beautiful plane to say the least. I picked it up to get a sense of the weight and it was very light. Very cool barn-door ailerons with top hinging, too.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Cherokee Flyer

Thickness as in the width of the stab or the thickness of the material?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Andre G
My Feedback: (2)

Thickness of the stab (though the thickness of the material would help with that).

This thread refers to topic:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_276964/anchors_276964/mpage_1/key_kwik%252Cfli/anchor/tm.htm#276964[/link]

See post by Ben Lanterman.

Andre
Old 05-24-2006, 06:07 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Very cool barn-door ailerons with top hinging, too.
COOL! I've gotta get one soon. I didn't think anyone would use that type of hinging anymore as that's the way my origional KF III is. Anyone building one yet?

50%
Old 06-02-2006, 04:59 PM
windslore

Just received my 'Qwic Fli' and I have to say the kit is excellent. The wood is is superb and the hardware all by Dubro! The building notes are very comprehensive. Thanks Jeff, you've put together a fine product.
John
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Cherokee Flyer

I just got my kit also; great kit, what UPS did to the box was'nt so good. but do to the size of the box it all survived will. looking forward to getting into it in the near future.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Arauthator

I am re-designing this model with a YSE FZ63, Retractable Landing Gear, 3D Flight. I have quite a bit done on AutoCAD but I am still working it
and building using Autodesk Inventor, a 3D program. Maybe I will soon post some 3D pictures.

Name:	Zx70690.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	472403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86374.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	472404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88608.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	472405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71329.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	472406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16032.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	472407  
Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM

The Kwik Fli III kits are holding their value well. A Graupner Kwik Fly MK 3 sold on eBay yesterday for $335.00. Those prices makes Jeff Petroski’s Kwik Fli III a heck of a deal.

Name:	Jh14931.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	492768  
Old 07-17-2006, 09:49 PM
rainedave

Wow! Think of the plans and wood you could buy for $335. So, what are the odds of that kit ever being built? I guess it's fun to pull it out of the closet and show people when they come over, but the whole collector thing just bewilders me. It's like owning a classic car and never driving it.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:00 AM
jjpetro

Here you go guys. This picture just in from Tobe in Florida. Nice job!!

Name:	Nl30888.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	500113  
Old 11-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Patrnflier

I just received my full Qwic Fly kit a week ago. I agree the wood and laser cutting are top notch. I have the stab built and the fuselage is shaping up nicely. It did take a little time getting the laser parts out of the sheets. Jeff definitely wanted them to stay put as most of the connection tabs are 1/4 inch or so. I had a little slip of paper in the misc. parts bag that said "no LE" meaning it was missing the 3/8 x 3/8 leading edge material. But other than that small item the kit is a great piece of work and I have a Primus on order when he runs another batch. I was really surprised at the short depth of the engine bay. I can see why Phil Kraft mounted a piece of aluminum directly to the engine backplate. I want to use a new Kraft .60 (serial number 000243) but I did not want to re-tap the backplate. I have a new Super Tiger Blue Head 60 (saving it for the Primus) and I was surprised how much shorter the front case is when compared to the Kraft engine. I went thru a number of mounts, a new Edison adjustable, a kraft glass mount, a DB mount and finally dug out a pair of the old style sig aluminum Tee mounts. To get the spinner where it should be without making the nose longer, even the engine backplate screws had to be recessed into the firewall. I was a 12 year old kid in 1968 and still flying control line so I never had the opportunity to build any of this generation of RC pattern ships.

For anyone wanting an all wood kit to build I would highly recommend Home and Hobby Solutions products. When a German Qwic Fly III kit on ebay sold a few weeks ago for over 300.00 the 150.00 for the kit, that also includes freight, is a real bargain.

I asked Jeff if he would mind if I posted a review of the build on my website and he replied that he would appreciate it. As soon as I have some photo's to share I will post a direct URL address of the review back to this thread for anyone interested.

I am one happy builder,

Marty

PS: The only thing I can think of that would help or improve the kit is an actual list of all the materials required for the kit. I found it difficult to check off all the parts and materials by using the plans. I do not know if Jeff includes a required materials list with his short and short-plus kits or not but it sure would help when you want to verify everything is there.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:45 PM

Marty

Looking forward to seeing your build!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:28 AM
jjpetro

Marty,
Thanks for your kind words about my kit.

There is supposed to be a bill of material included with each kit. I must have inadvertantly left it out of yours. I believe the "No LE" note actually is a "No LG" note in your parts bag. A few kits were short either landing gear or landing gear blocks. I had to wait a couple more weeks to get those materials to finish the remainder of the kits. The note should have been removed before shipping. I'll contact you this evening to see actually what you need and will ship those out ASAP. I apologize for the delay.

I hope you enjoy the kit and eventual plane!!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Patrnflier

As I promised back on 11/28/06 I now have a supplemental build article posted on my website. Here is the link: http://www.fancyflying.150m.com/qwic_fly_iii_build.htm

Jeff did include the parts the note above listed as missing. He simply forgot to remove the note! Jeff has been great at answering emails and shows real interest in making a quality product and backing it with service. Those are two things you do not find much anymore.

If anyone has any questions I can answer them here or privately if you prefer by email at [email protected]

Be sure to visit my website at http://www.fancyflying.150m.com/ An article based on my experience with aerobatics was featured in the May/June2006 issue of the Senior Pattern Association's newsletter.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Patrnflier

Just another update for those interested. I will begin covering tomorrow and have posted a few more things that I did on the Qwic Fly. Spar webs, aileron bay covers, a slot for the vertical fin and I am trying the ole "hairspray balsa sealing technique" on this model to see if it works. Again the url is http://www.fancyflying.150m.com/qwic_fly_iii_build.htm
Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 PM

Marty,

Thanks for sharing your Kwik Fli III build. Very neat! It is so interesting that Phil Kraft kept flying the Hershey bar wing when everyone was using double taper wings. The bottom line is don’t mess with what works for you.

Especially like the Kraft power plant! Phil is smiling down on us.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 PM
tony-howard
My Feedback: (224)

The comment about the Hershey Bar wing reminded me of a note I got from Marty Barry who won one of my Kwik Fli III kits at the Perry GA show raffle a while back:

"I worked for Kraft from 1969 till 1981. So, I'm quite familiar with these series of airplanes. The best one of the bunch was the MkIV which Larry Leonard won the Nats with in or around the very early 70's. It was a MK III with a tapered wing. Phil never flew one, it was Larry's modification and Phil was too proud and stubborn to fly some else's airplane. "

(When I created the kit in the 60's I went with a tapered wing primarily for aesthetic reasons based on Kraft's comments in the construction article. There he mentioned he'd tried tapered wings but didn't think they were the effort. Since I was using foam wing construction and strip ailerons, tapered or square was all the same. As they say, the rest is history. Kraft and the original Kwik Fli III both became deservedly famous. As for me and my version ....)

Marty's being an ex Kraft employee and winning one of the last kits and then his comment about the tapered wing was fascinating coincidence after all these years.

Tony

Name:	Xv64226.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	601848  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.