Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Stryker Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

I am researching the build of a stryker with twin motors.
I need a range of reverse pitch props (pusher); so far I have found some on APC's website
    [*]5.5 x 4.5 EP[*]6 X 4 EP[*]7 X 6 P[*]7 X 5 EP[/list]Would appreciate if anyone knows were to get custom props....or other brands.
    I want to do some testing with 5.5" to 7" diameter props of various pitches.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 AM
chippedprop

Radar test results on "yellow jacket"

MADE 2 PASSES
1-pass with wind 133mph

2-pass into the wind 127mph

Avg. speed 130 mph

I'm super pleased that this set up running a 40ish dollar motor will do 130mph

Well there it is. I guess I'm firmly in the dark side now.

Here's more video

http://www.youtube.com/user/chippedprop49

I don't know what is up with youtube but all my new videos are jerky....it's NOT me.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Gryphon

chippedprop,

Awesome video my friend...I am very impressed.

Those radar speeds are impressive, we can attribute that to your slicked up airframe . I do agree that you need to prop up.
I wish regular full drag airframes could reach those speeds with same small prop, but they cannot.

Even though there is an between prop of APC E 5.25X4.75, I would experiment up to 5.5X5.5 as long as your battery and motor are up to the task.

You'll enjoy the great acceleration increase with 5.5X4.5 ......just wait.....

Later my friend,

Gryphon
Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM
chippedprop

Ok

I removed the watt and amp info as I'm getting diff. reading using the same equipment. On the next one which will be mine I'll head over to Gryphons and let him do so readings

just keeping it real
Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Vegatron75

Very cool addition to your line of mounts. I'm trying to learn how to use Solidworks, I've seen your other designs and I'm impressed. Keep up the good work. Maybe some day here soon I'll get it figured out too....
Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 PM
customrcparts

Vegatron75,
Thanks! I'm glad that people like the mounts.
If you get stuck or need any tips in SW feel free to PM me.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Vegatron75

ORIGINAL: customrcparts

Vegatron75,
Thanks! I'm glad that people like the mounts.
If you get stuck or need any tips in SW feel free to PM me.
Cool, I'll do that!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 AM
moparmyway

Dudes,
It is getting around to the last few weeks of winter here.
Does anyone have any "winter" Strykers that they have been building for this coming spring, and can you post pics of the build(s) ?

ANYBODY ready to maiden their new or newly built Stryker ?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
hornetnz

I'll post pics of my finished paint job this weekend, just have to finish the fins. I'm afraid I still don't have the $ for the electronics tho. It'll prolly have to wait till after taxes. *sigh*

On that note, is there any reason I should worry about getting more than a 100A ESC? I'm looking at the Phoenix Lite Ice 100A. I'm not looking at going to EXTREME darkness, but wouldn't mind the ability to upgrade in the future.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: hornetnz

On that note, is there any reason I should worry about getting more than a 100A ESC? I'm looking at the Phoenix Lite Ice 100A. I'm not looking at going to EXTREME darkness, but wouldn't mind the ability to upgrade in the future.
I would FULLY reccomend that you get the ICE 100, and not the ICE lite.

They are the same $$$$$$

The ICE 100 will take 2 more cells, and with its HUGE heatsink (and a few easy mods) you can run 150 amps. It is THE only controller for just about every Stryker fanatic need.

Think about that...............possibly 1000 watts more to the prop for the same $$$

AFFORDABLE
ABLE TO RUN HUGE AMPS in our Stryker application
NO need for external BEC, it has its own settable switching BEC !!!!!

There is enough room for ICE 100 to fit, just look below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48072.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1386540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87715.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1386541  
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Dc2LightTech

After I finish my catapult I will be starting my next Stryker. Is there a MPH /Watts rule of thumb?
80mph Watts? 100mph Watts? 120mph Watts?...
Old 02-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Flisms

Story..................

I took the "SF-27" out for what was likely its 7th or 8th flight.  On first toss everything was as usual until about 75 feet up then nothing, no controls........an ugly spin, SPLOINK! right on its nose........i am pleased to report that my nose saving modification worked INCREDIBLY, the plane was undamaged, more incredible that the nose was not even wrinkled...IS THAT POSSIBLE.......I am pleased to say the least.........So i checked all my wires, rebinded and went for another try...............I flew for about 10 mins with out trouble, then i saw an airplane coming low over the field as they often do....and i often try to fly along side them........on my way up and out to meet the plane, once again signal was gone.............OH THE FEAR! as i was about as high up as a stryker can go.  Just like the first one it dropped in a spin, twirling to its death....only this time it was about 4 yards out of my field and possibly over a neighborhood......it didnt take long before it was behond the trees and out of site....I FLIPPED OUT to say the least........went running in the direction i thought it might be.    After about 20 mins of looking around between the park and the closet set of houses (along JK park in SF if you are familiar) I found my plane, with the help of a man who watched its decent on the roof of someones house. The mand told me it did not come down to hard, but rather swooped onto the roof without to much impact. WHEW.. ok but now, HOW DO I GET IT OFF THE ROOF!!!!!! It was upsidedown, unable to power it off the roof, and was about 3-4 stories up. keep in mind this is the nicest neighborhood in SF it getting dark and me and my buddy must come up with a way to get the plane down. the owners were no home and did not have roof access so could be of little help. We cam up with this...........tied a thin but strong string to a tennis ball to throw up on the roof, hopefully getting behind or around the plane, then simpley tug it down....no problem eh?   One of our first tries ended up with the ball getting caught on a balcony, so we had to cut the rope/string, which left it dangling thusd looking like we were trying to climb up onto the balcony. We looked shadey to say the least. THEN....the owner drives up....LOL boy was this awkward but funny...i explained what was going onand he had no problems at all.. in fact went on to tell me where his "buddies" fly RC airplanes. ..................After about 10000000000 tries, my buddy finally hooked the plane and we pulled it down, but it fell on the balcony, so one more trip to the nice mans door and i had my Stryker back! YES!!!  the total damage with almost zero, which i am VERY happy about. now I just need to figure out whats wrong with my reception.

I am new the world of Spektrum receivers and controlers, so if anyone could help.......What are some reasons i might have expoerienced these sudden losses of signal, having never had trouble before?   is this common, random? Any input would be appreciated, as well as any suggestions.   (Spektrum Dx5e and AR500)
Old 02-25-2010, 03:16 PM
customrcparts

Ihad a similar loss of communication once with my 9303 and an AR5000. Iwas a couple hundred feet up (estimate)about 1/2 way through the flight flying straight away from me. I know the feeling when it startsspiraling toward the ground! Luckily I got control again a few feet from the ground. It's only happened once luckily! Not sure what it was. That's the only planeIhave with an AR5000 in it.

Good to hear that your plane wasn't damaged much!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 AM
customrcparts

I'm putting together anew one... Here is thelayout.

It will use:

Phoenix Ice 50 ESC
AR 6200 Receiver
EFlite 6-Series 2700 kv motor
Hitec HS-65MG servos
Poly RC 3S 2200 mAh 25C battery
Eagle Tree speed sensor
Not sure about the props yet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54262.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1386917  
Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Flisms

In connection with me loss of reception issue............

I have the Eflight 40 AMP ESC (blue metal one) .......When I first bought it , I accidentally pulled the switch off. You know the one that comes out of the ESC as a soft power on and off.  The wires came out from the base, so I have always assumed there are two bare connections somewhere in my esc. Does anyone know about this? Where the wires connect? Is it an issue that I pulled it out? Can it now turn on and off randomly, possibley causing my loss of signal issue? Id appreciate any input. Thanks.

Also, one thing I notice a lot of people doing is mounting the receiver outside of the hatch, say on the wing somewhere, is this very important, or should I say tried and proven to be the best way?

Finally.........................anyone ever built a nose motor Stryker?  I started a new build, something to toss around and not be carefu with.....im thinking of putting my outrunner on the front of a stryker. Pictures to come.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: customrcparts

I'm putting together a new one... Here is the layout.

It will use:

Phoenix Ice 50 ESC
AR 6200 Receiver
EFlite 6-Series 2700 kv motor
Hitec HS-65MG servos
Poly RC 3S 2200 mAh 25C battery
Eagle Tree speed sensor
Not sure about the props yet
NICE !!!!!!!!
Is that a new Phoenix ICE Lite 50 ???
Have you tried the data-logging yet ???
Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Flisms

In connection with me loss of reception issue............

I have the Eflight 40 AMP ESC (blue metal one) .......When I first bought it , I accidentally pulled the switch off. You know the one that comes out of the ESC as a soft power on and off. The wires came out from the base, so I have always assumed there are two bare connections somewhere in my esc. Does anyone know about this? Where the wires connect? Is it an issue that I pulled it out? Can it now turn on and off randomly, possibley causing my loss of signal issue? Id appreciate any input. Thanks.

Also, one thing I notice a lot of people doing is mounting the receiver outside of the hatch, say on the wing somewhere, is this very important, or should I say tried and proven to be the best way?

Finally.........................anyone ever built a nose motor Stryker? I started a new build, something to toss around and not be carefu with.....im thinking of putting my outrunner on the front of a stryker. Pictures to come.
The wires could be touching, and if they touch, it turns off the switch.
I have taken off several switches to make for a tight fit and found that the switch makes continuity when closed, so I just remove the switch wire from the ESC board by unsoldering, then the switch is eliminated.

Receiver placement is more of a preference. In some applications we put the rec and its aux antannae on the right wing to counteract severe torque roll at low speeds and high throttle settings

Chippedprop did a front mount Stryker, he is the man to speak with about that.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 AM
hornetnz

Thanks mopar, I will put that on my shopping list. Appreciated.

Flisms, what mods did you do to your nose?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Flisms

My nose saver goes like this.......I always glue a hard plastic or balsa backing to the base of the nose cone, between it and the body of the plane. This time there is a CF tube (hollow) running in at the nose and straight through to the hard plastic backing. there is about 1 Cm of tube left pertruding from the nose. Then I take a 2-3 ich piece of solid and thin CF add a few drops of hot gue to one end then slide that end into the hollow tube to about half way through the nose, or as far as you wish. This creates a alittle "spire"on the nose of ur plane, which can be as long or short as u like. SHorter is likely stronger imo. In thoery....when you nose into the ground or a wall, or ur friend..........the thin piece of CF takes the initial hit, breaking the glue stopper and allowing it to slide into the hollow tube which then takes the rest of the impact while being pushed against the hard backing of the nose. The pictures of my "SF-27" a few pages back might help depict what im saying.

mopar..........I feel like my wires pulled out clean from the soldering points. Are the soldering points for the ESC on/offswitch near eachother inside the ESC? Is it easy to get in and out of this ESC without damaging it? I have never cracked one open yet.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Gryphon

Hi all,

Time to drool and time to fantasize;

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/flycamone3.htm

***Make sure to read/see the whole page including extra gadgets on bottom.

Enjoy,

Gryphon
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Flisms

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Droooool, Drool , drip drip.

THATSTHEONE!I have been waiting/shopping for the right cam for my plane, this has got to be it!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM
customrcparts

NICE!!!! Iknew that Ishouldn't have sold my 9C!

Like Filisms, I think this is the one I've been waiting for too! Couldn't help it.. Ihad to order one!I'll let you know about it when it arrives.

Thanks for the heads up Gryphon!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Gryphon

customrcparts,

For that cam, I'm sure DX6i and DX7 can be used.....maybe rudder can be used for panning and some preset positions for tilt on a 2 or 3 position switch.

9303 radio should be cheaper because JR 9503 is out.

Gryphon
Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 AM
gabe_tuft

Hey guys! I've spent about 2 or 3 hours reading through the Darkside threads. Amazing stuff!

I'm a newb when it comes to the Stryker though. Just bought the F27C two days ago and I love it. I was hoping for some advice on simple hop ups though. I have read about the APC 6X5.5 prop for a quickie and in Part 7 Gryphon mentions a 6.5X5 prop.

Also, I have an Electrifly 45AMP ESC laying around and a bunch of Zippy 2200 30C 4S batteries. I also have 3S 2200 Zippies. Anyone know of a combination I could use with this equipment? Or is it possible to run the 4S batteries on the stock motor?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I'm so stoked to hop this thing up I couldn't wait to ask.

Thanks!

Gabe
Old 02-27-2010, 11:31 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Flisms

My nose saver goes like this.......I always glue a hard plastic or balsa backing to the base of the nose cone, between it nd the body of the plane. This time there is a CF tube (hollow) running in at the nose and straight through to the hard plastic backing. there is about 1 Cm of tube left pertruding from the nose. Then I take a 2-3 ich piece of soid and thin CF add a few drops of hot gue to one end then side that end into the hollow tube to about half way through the nose, or as far as you wish. This creates a alittle ''spire'' on the nose of ur plane, which can be as long or short as u like. SHorter is likely stronger imo. In thoery....when you nose into the ground or a wall, or ur friend..........the thin piece of CF take the initil hit, breaking the glue stopper and allowing it to slide into the hollow tube which then takes the rest of the impact while being pushed against the hrd backing of the nose. The pictures of my ''SF-27'' a few pages back might help depict what im saying.

mopar..........I feel like my wires pulled out clean from the soldering points. Are the soldering points for the ESC on/off switch near eachother inside the ESC? Is it easy to get in and out of this ESC without damaging it? I have never cracked one open yet.
Flisms,
Got any pictures of this mod ?????

The 3 wires are all soldered immediately next to each other on the 60a ESC. I cant imagine any other amp ESC from them being much different. It would only need 1 strand to see a closed circuit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.