Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS 58 Pro starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:23 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MVVS 58 Pro starting problem

Pé or Dar

My Pro is brand new and never been started before, using the recommended neddle settings I have no kick or starting but lots of fuel dripping out of the carb bell, if I close the low needle too 1/8 open the engine will start but the mixture is all over the place, do I need to look at the reeds or the carb for the problem?

Mike
Old 05-04-2007, 12:47 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS 58 Pro starting problem

Mike, you have the engine upside down and so is the carb.
re-fit the rear cover at 180 degrees, so the carb is no longer upside down, and slants downward towards the engine. Open the needles 1.5 turn again, and start from there.

Here is a picture of the iso grommets
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24031.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	677667  
Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
BaldEagel

Pé

Thank you for the quick responce I will try that tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

The ISO mounts look interesting, the only difference between yours and how I have done mine is the sleave, are those available commercially.

Oh yes whilst writting the 58 pro at 5300rpm on a 24x10 pitts large silencer but on a hard surface and with buildings around, at 4M was giving out 98db, once I have the carb sorted I will take the readings again and also db the 45 mag.

Regards
Mike
Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 PM
pe reivers

Wow!, that is a whopping 93.14 dB at 7 meters. Over a hard surface, (subtract 3dB for grass). Then it still is 90.1. dB. We have a limit of 80dB.
Does the pitts muffler have silencer chambers? This is no suitable setup for European standards. RPM is way down as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:34 PM
BaldEagel

I agree entirely this is not good enough, I sent you a PM concerning a possible deal on a manifold to take the cannister, but I still think it will be too noisy, oh yes the pitts is just an expansion chamber no baffles at all.

Mike
Old 05-04-2007, 01:37 PM
BaldEagel

Just turned the back plate of the engine around and of course all the cut outs in the bulkhead are now in the wrong place, so will not be trying this as quickly as I thought, will up date you when I do.

Feeling very silly

Mike
Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 AM
BaldEagel

Ok turned the carb over and still no joy, I have tried every combination of needle positions and still the best is the L neddle at an 1/8 open, I am now thinking that the flooding is due to the autochoke thinking that its loss of fuel when in fact its ignition, with the plug out of the engine I get the one second fire on turn on and then a spark as you turn the engine as the second magnet goes past the sensor, with the plug in the engine I sometimes get a kick as I turn over at TDC but sometimes I don't.

Question: should the ignition unit make an sparking noise when I turn it on, it sounds just like the one second spark at the plug.

Mike
Old 05-05-2007, 12:38 PM
pe reivers

Most ignitions can spark when you turn them on.
The MSR potted ICU ignition produces a series of sparks when swithed on in order to clear the plug for starting.

I PM'd you concerning the possiblilty of a carb disturbance being the cause of your uncontrolled fuel flow.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 AM
BaldEagel

Pé

I understand about the one second of sparking its just that the arcing noise is also comming from the ICU unit as well as the plug cap.

For those that are reading this, Pé has very kindly PM me with some other sugestions to save my enbarasement, if any of these turn out to be the cause I will come clean to try and prevent others making the same basic mistakes.

Mike
Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 PM
pe reivers

mmmm..
I don't know. To be honest, I never tested a ICU-S ignition. Still use the good ol' Vlach myself.
I assume, with a bit of background knowledge, that if the ignition produces a spark over 6mm (out of the engine), there is no sparking inside the unit.
I have a test bench I can run at 7000 rpm, that has this free air gap. I use it to test all kinds of ignitions. You can simulate it by taking an ols spark plug, take off the ground electrode (or bend it open) and see if there is a strong spark. If there is, all seems well.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

For those that are reading this, Pé has very kindly PM me with some other sugestions to save my enbarasement, if any of these turn out to be the cause I will come clean to try and prevent others making the same basic mistakes.

Mike
Confession time, Pé kindly sent me a PM asking if I had the engine inverted, in which case my flooding could be due to the carb being upsidedown, so being the good engineer I looked at the instructions that came with the engine and removed the carb and then the back plate, turned the back plate around and put the carb back on, wait for it still upside down, it was not until Pé mentioned in one of his posts "ensure the pressure pipe is on the cast cover" that I realised my mistake, this engine now starts second flick and is pulling a 24x10 JFX wooden prop at 6300rpm on only its first tank of fuel, this thing is a beast and should satisfy my desire for a 3D plane at half throttle, I hate noise.

Mike
Old 05-11-2007, 10:20 AM
pe reivers

Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
AQA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
Confession time, Pé kindly sent me a PM asking if I had the engine inverted, in which case my flooding could be due to the carb being upsidedown, so being the good engineer I looked at the instructions that came with the engine and removed the carb and then the back plate, turned the back plate around and put the carb back on, wait for it still upside down, it was not until Pé mentioned in one of his posts "ensure the pressure pipe is on the cast cover" that I realised my mistake, this engine now starts second flick and is pulling a 24x10 JFX wooden prop at 6300rpm on only its first tank of fuel, this thing is a beast and should satisfy my desire for a 3D plane at half throttle, I hate noise.

Mike
Hello.
I have the same problem.
The engine is upside down and i didn t turn the carb around.
I do not understend this "ensure the pressure pipe is on the cast cover".
I also have problems with high needle. I can t get in wet enough with high needle. I have to open low needle so much that engine four strokes in case that if i close low needle a bit the engine cuts off at full throttle. Than i open the high needle a lot but no response.
I have already checked all fuel lines and clean up carb.
Please help.
Have fun.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:59 PM
AQA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-24-2007, 09:32 AM
BaldEagel

Have a look at the carb, there are two covers one on top one on the bottom, one is made of pressed metal the other is a casting, the pressed metal cover is just a vent and is left open to atmosphere, the cast metal cover is piped too the back of the crackcase, fuel inlet is at the side of the carb.

Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have my engine inverted and left the carb alone. I never flipped the carb over. The thing is I never had any problems with my engine settings or how it runs. Both needles react as they should. Now my question is should I flip carb over and see if it works even better or should I leave it alone since it is running fine?
I know the saying if its not broke dont fix it but was curious if this was not alowing something on carb to work properly by not being inverted.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
BaldEagel

In truth I think the only reason to turn the carb is if you are having trouble primming, with the carb pointing down the fuel has a tendency to flow out of the carb, with it pointing up the fuel runs into the engine. When I reversed mine it all went according to plan not had a problem since. don't have a touch wood smiley.

Mike
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see what your saying. That would make sense that way.