Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Dynam Hawk Sky weird power changes

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Dynam Hawk Sky weird power changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 AM
foambreaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynam Hawk Sky weird power changes

Hi. I just finished building a Hawk Sky and when I pullback the right stick (elevator nose up) I get a decrease in throttle(unexpected) as well asnose up elevator (expected). Nose down elevator on the right stick doesnot seem to affect the throttle setting. If I put in nose up elevator on the right stick then return it to neutral center positionthe thottle goes back to the proper setting when the right stick is centered. I have checked the connections to the receiver and they seem to be right. The left stick does work the throttle as it should. Its just that the right stick will decrease it when it is set to up elevator and put it back to normal when the right stick goes back to center or in down elevator position. Any ideas? The plane came as an RTF so I only had to connect the ailerons to the receiver.The plane came with all the other wires already attached to the receiver. Weird isn't it?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 PM
opjose

Default RE: Dynam Hawk Sky weird power changes

Check to be sure that V-tail or Elevon mixing is not turned on, in the TX.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:40 PM
foambreaker

Hi again. I don't see anything on the Tx for mixing. It just has 4 switches AIL, ELE, THR, RUD. The ail and ele (first 2) are switched to nor. The thr and rud (second two) are switched to rev. They all seem to work as usual except that if the motor is running and you pull back (down) the right stick (for nose up) the engine loses about 1/2 it'sRPM. I played with the throttle trim but it didn't make anydifference. I also tried reversing the throttle but it still lost 1/2 engine power. I checked the polarity of all the connections andthey are all the same (brown red and orange wires all lined up in the Rx slots). The top 4 slots in the RX are filled. Thisseems to be according to the directions. This is the stock Rx and Tx. I will re-check the diagrams and connections but I don't think anything is hookedup wrong as all the othercontrols are OK - Rudder Elevator and Ailerons all working normally.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 PM
foambreaker

I also put together, on the same order (yhst-17210252890263-117133), a Dynam DC-3 Skybus. I had better luck with that one. I wonder if changed the crystal in the Sybus's 4chan Tx with the crystal in the Hawk Sky Tx would it give me a clue as to the problem. Are the crystals in the Dynam Tx's removable? The Hawk Sky is 72.830 and the Skybus is 72.150. If they are interchangeable it might tell me if there is a bad Tx with the Hawk Sky, right? You can let me know when you get a chance. Thanks for your help, Mark
Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM
foambreaker

Please see my last 2 messages. Especially the one about switching crystals in the Dynam DC-3 Skybus and Hawk Sky Tx's. Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 10:20 PM
opjose

Technically doing so is illegal according to the FCC....

However if you do it at home to test things out, I doubt you'll hurt anything.

Switching the crystals may not work properly, but it will not damage the electronics.

Give it a try... if it works it will help pinpoint the problem.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 AM
foambreaker

Success!! I switched the crystals in the 4chan Skybus and Hawk Sky and tried as above (luckily the crystals are not soldered in). The Hawk Sky airplane worked perfectly with the Skybus's Tx using the Hawk sky Tx crystal. I'm assuming I have a defective 72.830 Tx with my new Hawk Sky. So sad. The plane looks great and I even reinforced the clevises and control horns already. Anyway I can send back the defective Tx if you want to replace it. Thanks for all your time and assistance. Best regards for great service after the sale. Cheers, Mark Taylor
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM
opjose

Yup, you nailed it.

After you've purchased a couple of planes, you normally want to go with your own TX, ideally a computer controlled one...

If you hit the two planes mark, you are hooked and will likely only purchase more RC aircraft.

There-after you do not need to re-invest in more TX's when one good TX will serve all your needs for many years.

Bare that in mind... it is worth spending the money on a seemingly expensive TX, as it will pay for itself many times over.

If ever you leave the hobby ( fat chance! ) a decent TX is much easier to sell and more attractive to a buyer, so you are likely to recoup a large part of your expense too... just take good care of it.

I personally have several boxes of inexpensive TX's that came with RTF planes... I always think that I'll use them to give to a beginner on a foamy, etc... but I never get around to it...