Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Parky50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

ORIGINAL: cjg

Mike, keep us posted on wheel size. I want to do the same thing. Here are some pictures of real supercubs with large tires to get some perspective:

[link=http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akpages/mmcharters/images/supercub.jpg]1:1 supercub with large tires[/link]

[link=http://www.usd.edu/~cgutzman/images/alaskacub.jpg]alaska supercub with large tires[/link]
Thanks for the pics... I wonder where we could get some of those Moose Antlers in the correct scale ???
Old 09-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Bigtone

You guy's mite want to watch out for a change in flight dynamics, if you go to big or wide with the new set up! This could make many problems like bad cg or shorter flights and even cause more stress on the battery box location. Back in the thread, the guy with the float set up and the guy with the bad landings had those problems.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Bigtone

Here's some more cvs camera videos with a super cub, I found them on google video a while back. On the right of the video, there are three more of this guy's videos with the cvs set up on the page.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50595217&hl=en
Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 AM
jman057397

After reading everything on here about the SC I decided to order one. I got it yesterday and assembled and charged the batteries this morning. So i go to test everything, turn on the transmiter, plug in a warm battery pack, and NOTHING[&o] no control movement, no throttle, nothing but a buzzing sound coming from the servos. Has any one else had this happen to them? Oh well guess i have to wait to monday and call Horizon Hobby since there not there on saturdays. It must be something they know about since they have it in the insturtion manual.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: Azonic9

anyone running on the 9.6 8-cell battery? The guy at the LHS said that it would just burn up my motor if I used one of those, I think he's full of crap. I got another 7 cell but haven't opened it cause the 8 cell was only $3 more, and I might take it back if the 8-cell will work. I wanted to get one cause the manual says that you can use them. If you are using them how much (if any) extra fly time do you have and is the power noticeable? Thanks! Azonic9

This gets under my skin, when you go to a LHS and some goon behind the desk gives you poor info. Please just for me, Azonic9 give the misinformed goon some schooling with this link from Hobby Zone official web site.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...rcub_optional/
Old 09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Azonic9

Thanks Bigtone that's just what i needed. I went straight down there and told them that very thing! oh, and switched out the battery with a 8-cell! Thanks!
I also noticed that there were 2" treaded tires at the LHS that would easily fit the plane, i might want somthing bigger though, I think a 3" tire would be more to scale for the SC.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:02 PM
mattnaterc
My Feedback: (1)

so, here's a "misadventurous" day of SC flying. about 5 min's into my flight, my plane stopped climbing and generally stopped responding to turns. it would only turn or climb very very modestly. the end result was that i ended up about 75 feet up in the very top branch of a thin pine tree. as "unluck" would have it, the plane's wings were resting perfectly on 2 branches, making the chance of it just falling out by itself impossible.

after a lunch which i knew was going to prepare me for a full day's worth of work, i grabbed my fishing pole, an old bow/arrow set, and about 200's feet of rope along with some fishing line. first, i tried casting a sinker over the branch. as i guessed, the sinker just wrapped the line around the (wrong) branch and that was the end of that idea.

then, i pulled out the bow and arrow set. i tied fishing line to the arrow and after about 3 failed attempts over some time, i managed to get a shot right over the plane. we tied the rope to the fishing line, pulled the thicker rope up and as we were doing that the fishing line snagged onto the plane and jiggled it loose. then, the fishing line got caught in the fuselage (it basically sawed into the fuselage and got stuck) and we were able to not only free the plane, but also lower it down with the fishing line that was stuck inside the fuselage.

when we got it down, we found that one of our previous bow and arrow and fishing line attempts had sawed mostly all of the way thru the front part of the horizontal stabilizer. and, though still seemingly structually sound, my fuselage has a fishing line size cut about 50% of the ay thru.

QUESTION - what kind of glue works best on the foam

QUESTION - the tail section appears to be slightly different material??? what kind of glue to repair that section?

other than a few other very small foam chips in various places, the plane is OK. i think with these repairs, i should be able to fly her again??

thanks for your input...
Old 09-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Azonic9

I actually got some epoxy for my plane. it is the 15 minute type. It made it solid as a rock and doesn't add too much weghit to the plane. I stuck the battery cage to the fuse. It would probably work for anything on the plane, except the prop I got a crap load of the epoxzy for only $7 too. so it will last a long time(hopefully).
Old 09-16-2006, 05:15 PM
inurocker

For most any part on the SC epoxy, foam safe CA or one of the foam glues like gorilla or sumo. I like the sumo glue for foam dampen with a little water then apply the glue. Just remember a little goes a long way as it expands.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:58 AM
e2x2e

Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Anyone have one? I just bought one, it sounds really good!
Old 09-17-2006, 01:00 PM
tcarp

$40 for shipping...!!! YIKES!!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 02:41 PM
e2x2e

Yes...I know. That is part of the price you pay-$140 is the total price-cheaper than the retail price!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:55 PM
FlyingGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Matt, Many of us use packing tape for foamie repairs... works great.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: e2x2e

Check it out:

Anyone know anything about these? Brand? Replacement parts availability? How standard are the electronics, etc if you want to upgrade? Durability?

They do look good for the price.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:58 PM
e2x2e

cjg: I just met a guy at the feild and he told me that its a nice plane, but theres only one thing: You really need to watch the battery, because when you get near the cutoff point, the servos have problems. But...this is the newer version of the plane, and it has a different electronics, so that might not be a problem. I'll tell you about the plane when I get it!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Azonic9

Anyone want to see what happens when you fly with ACT on? I would just show you but I can't figure out how to post pictures, and trust me these pictures are not for the faint of heart! It makes me sad[] I will definitely be sending an email to horizon hobby about this "GREAT"(sarcastically) Feature. I learned how to fly without it and the one time I forgot to check if it was on before I flew was the time I met my demise.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 PM
tcarp

When you get it fixed or you replace it...Simply unplug the "eyes" from inside the plane..Flys perfect with switch in either position that way...
Old 09-17-2006, 08:56 PM
MNFlyerGuy

Hi Tim:
About $160 delivered from Diversion Hobbies (Ebay) is where I bought mine. Yep! Good learning tool!
Oh yeah! I got an additional battery, and extra prop with the purchase.

I think these are the people you purchased from aren't they? I found their website, looks like the same deal you got $159.99--the best one I've found with the extra battery and prop!

[link=http://www.diversionhobbies.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=642]Long link to the deal I found.[/link]
Old 09-17-2006, 09:16 PM
tcarp

I have been buying everything from [link=http://hobbyzone.com]hobbyzone.com[/link] direct. Call Dave there and I would be willing to bet he would throw in another prop. He has been the best vendor I have EVER delt with. Prompt Service, Tracking # as soon as avaliable and if you have to return something he calls you to confirm as soon as it arrives and credits you within 24 hours..
Old 09-17-2006, 09:47 PM
cjg

I bought an extra prop, but it also came with an extra prop, so I have 3. I have yet to break even one.

I read in other forums about people trying different props for airplanes. Does anyone know where I can go to learn about what the numbers mean, and what effect it has on r/c flight?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Bigtone

ORIGINAL: cjg

ORIGINAL: e2x2e

Check it out:

Anyone know anything about these? Brand? Replacement parts availability? How standard are the electronics, etc if you want to upgrade? Durability?

They do look good for the price.
Yes, I do know about this brand, below are the companies that make and sell them. There are some videos on the pages of the aircraft in flight. Most of these are sold on ebay, the funny thing about christen eagle. That's the same one that cox sales, you can get it way cheaper then their price on ebay but, with a radio and all. With brushless or without!

http://www.art-tech.cn/english/index.asp

http://www.parkflyers.com/

http://www.airmodel.cn/index.asp
Old 09-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Azonic9

I thought I had this thing figured out. Can someone tell me how in the world you embed a picture on here? I uploaded my pictures five times and there is no Embed option to post it in the forum. What am I doing wrong?
The file size is way under the limit and it's a JPG. Thanks, Azonic9
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63097.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	525971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17541.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	525972  
Old 09-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Azonic9

apparently i am retarded. why doesn't it show the pictures in the preview? any ways here is the text for the above picture......

"I figured it out...Here are the pics of my most recent flight WITH ACT turned on. This post is a warning to any begginer and advanced pilot to make sure your ACT is turned off. This is my 8th time out and i wish i would have remembered to make sure the ACT was turned off! I used epoxy to get them back together and I used some balsa to support it even more by doing a "backbone" style support. It seems pretty strong too. In addition to disconnecting the ACT I also used Epoxy to hold my switch in the OFF postion. Maybe I should change my username to EPOXY! Thanks for all the feedback! Oh, one more thing. I have been keeping an eye on those cessna 182's also, let me know how it does."
Old 09-18-2006, 06:52 AM
MAX HEADSPEED

Watch out! That user name might STICK! ha ha Glad your in flight condition again.
YES! Epoxy can be your friend.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Parky50

Thanks for the warning EPOXY !!!

I will be un-hooking those ACT eyes ASAP !!! [X(]

I would like to see how you used the balsa to reinforce the wing structure.
The center of my wing is a little bit "squished" from landing practice (a.k.a. rookie crash stop).
It flies ok but there is a 3/8" gap in the groove when attached to the fuse...

Thanks,

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.