Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
 Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread >

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hobby Zone "Super Cub" Thread

I just ran to the LHS and bought some epoxy and just glued the mount right to the fuse. There is no reason for that thing to come off of the fuse anyways! The epoxy that i got is SOLID! don't think it will try to come apart again, and if it does i will be buying a new fuse
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 PM

anyone running on the 9.6 8-cell battery? The guy at the LHS said that it would just burn up my motor if I used one of those, I think he's full of crap. I got another 7 cell but haven't opened it cause the 8 cell was only $3 more, and I might take it back if the 8-cell will work. I wanted to get one cause the manual says that you can use them. If you are using them how much (if any) extra fly time do you have and is the power noticeable? Thanks! Azonic9
Old 09-12-2006, 07:03 AM

The 8 cell works great. Yes you can tell the difference in power. Flight time is longer I'm sure but i haven't measured it. If it did burn the motor quicker its not a deal the replacements are cheap. Go for it you will love it!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:11 AM

Has anyone painted their super cub? I understand that WalMart sells H2O base spray paint that should work well with the foam. If anyone has done this could you publish a few pics? And an added statement, you guys are right, the super cub is a nice training platform for the novice pilot and just a fun plane for the seasoned pilots.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:06 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Moderate pilot, typically fly brushless and gas, as well as Parkzone offerings. I've been flying the HZ SC for a few weeks now and have been very satisfied with it. Problem areas, for me, were 1) the landing gear. Very difficult to get it firmly seated, a couple of times I thought I was going to bust the foam trying to get it fully inserted. 2) the battery cage. Its always a major pain getting battery in and out. Its almost as if the inside connector is too short, as it does NOT allow me to insert it as they show on the dvd. I have to plug it in then back it into the cage with the connector on the bottom.

Assembly was easy with no problems noted. One of the plastic wing struts seems a little 'slack' but no big deal. ROG and hand launch take offs are easy and both give a scale-like climb out. Once up and going I typically can throttle back to 50% and cruise 'scale' just fine, applying small amounts of power as needed on turns and so forth. Getting about 10-13 minutes of flying on provided battery. I have messed with the ACT very little as I have no need for it. I've flown it in winds around 15 or so without much issue, though it will buffet around quite a bit, and fly sideways through crosswind. Landings are fun and can be a bit of a challenge. On turn to final I chop power to about 1/4 or less. It'll settle into a nice glide, but needs a little tweaking on the throttle to maintain it to touchdown. Be warned, without much headwind, if you try to slow it down too much, it will drop a wing to the left and try to nose in. In that case you should be able to use full throttle and roll out of it to try again. With a good headwind you can almost float it to the ground. I fly on a rough field, so I'm always nosing over. Went to a bigger more scale-like gear, which softens it but doesn't prevent it. On very short grass or pavement you can get some very sweet greasers, touch-and-go's are pretty as well. The only 'damage' I've sustained so far is some splitting of the sides of the lower vent on the cowl, as it will most always connect on a nose-over. 1 minute with an x-acto and carefully trim the vent 'shelf' back, good as new and not noticeable. X-port functionality as well as cross-part compatability with P51 props/engines are nice points as well. And its cheaper than the Parkzone Cub or Decathalon!

All in all I've been VERY satisfied with this plane. Close to 20 flights and no replacement of parts. This plane would be a great platform for hopping-up, such as ailerons, brushless, etc..
Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

All good stuff, Hal. My SC has the same problems with battery lead length and with the force needed to insert the landing gear bail wire. Can't be good for the fuse. I have the opposite problem with my Estarter, plagued with poorly designed landing gear attachments: the front wire in the seaplane configuration fell out during a water departure and, needless to say, the plane stopped real fast when the nose dropped into the water at full throttle (EFlite 400 brushless and 3s 2100 LiPo). Talk about coming back to the dock in shame ;-) Anyway, with the SC, I need to swap the gear out fairly often as Mr. Headspeed and I fly a lot of hayfields and meadows. Maybe a putting a flat on one side of the wire with the dremel. Need to solve the problem now as SKI PLANE season is coming (right after leaf surfing season!).
Old 09-12-2006, 01:55 PM

Azonic9,

Yep I have been running the 8 cell 9.6 volt on my super cub and it does a good job. Helps me get off the grass better. I called HH and ask the tech department if the electronics would handle the 9 cell 10.8 volt battery used in the PZ P-51 and they were not sure. I know the engine would be ok because it is the same one that is in the P-51, just not sure about the controller. Flight times with the 8 cell are a couple of minutes longer mainly due to less throttle needed to maintain cruise speed. I have ordered another Super Cub as I want to paint it and add ailerons making it a true four channel plane.

Cessnaskyhawk

AMA 431103
Old 09-12-2006, 02:16 PM

Thanks Cessnaskyhawk.

Maybe I will return the battery for an 8-cell and give it a shot. Will I need a new charger or will the two that come with the SC be alright?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 PM

guys, order yourself a 1400mah 8 cell battery from cheapbatterypacks.com. i have one and will get another soon, cost is $30-$32 if i remember right. i havent timed the flight time, but its really good.

@ Hal_Marshall

if you look back in this thread i posted some pics of my aileron addition that works very well.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Hey guys I got my SuperCUB on Monday. This thing was way easy to put together. I threw on some large Tamiya connectors (I had some laying around) to make a better connection. I also removed the ACT eyes from the plane in hopes that I wouldnt need it. I have done several flight sims, rc and otherwise and was hoping not to need ACT at all.

1st flight - about a 15 mph wind, I shouldnt have launched it at all, but I did... ended up in a tree 50 feet up [:'(] Went home, got my huge ladder and got that down. Damage - 1 of 4 wing supports damaged.

2nd flight - without repairing the damage done, I decided to try again. This time I was up there about 3 minutes, big accomplishment for me, this is my first plane. Wind catches it and throws it sideways. I lose all altitude and it crashes HARD into the ground. I go running over to find a broken prop, shattered cowl and the wing ajar. 2 of 4 wing supports are now broken, with 2 being on one side.

I repair the prop, straighten the wing and tape the cowl together.

3rd flight - without repairng the wing supports, I fly again. This time, I am flying for 5 minutes and manage to do a few stunts (not intentionally though lol) and just when I think I am getting the hang of it, the wing without any supports catches some crosswinds and bends upwards. This throws me into a spiral dive toward the ground, again. This crash results in bent landing gear, a totally shattered cowl, missing foam from around battery compartment and another broken prop. Now I am done, because I ran out of props

Guys I think I may need some help here - I feel I need to limit how much I throw the controls until I can get a feel for how much they effect my flight. Anyway of turning ACT on after I removed the eyes to just limit my control throw?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: rscharp

Hey guys I got my SuperCUB on Monday. This thing was way easy to put together. I threw on some large Tamiya connectors (I had some laying around) to make a better connection. I also removed the ACT eyes from the plane in hopes that I wouldnt need it. I have done several flight sims, rc and otherwise and was hoping not to need ACT at all.

1st flight - about a 15 mph wind, I shouldnt have launched it at all, but I did... ended up in a tree 50 feet up [:'(] Went home, got my huge ladder and got that down. Damage - 1 of 4 wing supports damaged.

2nd flight - without repairing the damage done, I decided to try again. This time I was up there about 3 minutes, big accomplishment for me, this is my first plane. Wind catches it and throws it sideways. I lose all altitude and it crashes HARD into the ground. I go running over to find a broken prop, shattered cowl and the wing ajar. 2 of 4 wing supports are now broken, with 2 being on one side.

I repair the prop, straighten the wing and tape the cowl together.

3rd flight - without repairng the wing supports, I fly again. This time, I am flying for 5 minutes and manage to do a few stunts (not intentionally though lol) and just when I think I am getting the hang of it, the wing without any supports catches some crosswinds and bends upwards. This throws me into a spiral dive toward the ground, again. This crash results in bent landing gear, a totally shattered cowl, missing foam from around battery compartment and another broken prop. Now I am done, because I ran out of props

Guys I think I may need some help here - I feel I need to limit how much I throw the controls until I can get a feel for how much they effect my flight. Anyway of turning ACT on after I removed the eyes to just limit my control throw?

That's pretty close to how my first time went rscharp.
I know what you mean by trying to limit the controls a little, I think the key is to do "little" movements on the controls until we get more used to how she will handle. On my last flight I was controlling and navigating rather well with just small adjustments from the transmitter toward my flight plan. Landing however... I just hope I can keep my Super Cub in one piece while I learn that trick !!! ... [sm=72_72.gif]

Good Luck Amigo !!!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:11 PM
cjg

I find the landing gear really easy to put in if you simply squeeze both struts toward each other, insert into the slot easily, and release.

Hal, interested in your new larger landing gear. What kind is it?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: MAX HEADSPEED

The SC looks really good on a nice sunny day doing a high speed low level pass. Even better when you get 2 SCs flying around. LUV the CUB!
I agree about looking good in the sun. Especially in the early evening when it turns downward from the sun, with it shining on it. It also looks cool coming at you in a shallow dive.

Did my first triple loop and intentional nose up stall today. Pretty cool, and recovers quickly from the stall.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:27 PM
cjg

Does anyone know how to get the spinner off, and to change the propeller? There is no assembly schematic that comes with it, is one available somewhere online?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:59 PM

Just pull it off. Put a small 1/2 inch dot of RTV in it to stick it back onto the shaft.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:04 AM

hey guy's im new to the fourm but i have been following the threds for a week or two after purchasing a SC.
what can i say about this plane, i have never flown a plane before in my life ( only mucking a round on the sim ) as i have flown a few fixed pitch heli's before i took to it like a duck in water what an easy plane to fly ive had around 20 or 30 flight with absoultley no damage to her at all ive never touched the ACT as ive only read bad things about it.
only down fall i can find is short flight time usually less than 8 min but i use a swallow digital charger only takes 4 min to fully charge. im almost at the point that i feel that i could handle a nitro trainer might still wait a couple off weeks untill im 100% confident in flying. also considering upgrading to b/l and lipo's

thanks to all for the info i have read about and keep up the good work

Cheers

Devo
Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 AM

How does the SC fly upside down in your location?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL:
only down fall i can find is short flight time usually less than 8 min but i use a swallow digital charger only takes 4 min to fully charge.
Something doesn't sound right there. You should not be able to fully charge these 1000mah batteries in 4 minutes. They're designed to be charged at 1.5 amps (or less), not the 15 amps it would take to do it in 4. I suspect that was either a typo on your part, your charger is false peaking, or your batteries are damaged (from overcharging?).
Old 09-13-2006, 04:08 PM

My firebird freedom charger was having that problem when I got it, it would stop blinking after only about 10 minutes of charge. It was screwed up, I am kind of glad though because it led to me getting this SC!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
cjg

A four minute charge would be a toasted battery. The formula to determine charge time is to divide battery capacity by charge rate (converting both to mah).

As stated, a 1.5 amp charge rate is max, which means a fully discharged battery should take 1000mah (battery capacity) divided by 1500mah charge rate (1.5 amps) = .66 hours or 40 minutes minimum. Since batteries don't always fully charge it should take at least 1/2 hour or more to charge. I get about 15 minutes of flight time, flying conservatively with the throttle.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:00 PM

I usually time my flights and always start looking to land after 10 minutes.......so probably around 11-12 minutes would be my average....I have never had to land "dead stick".....so I don't know how long I could actually fly. I also agree with the 30-40 minute charging time. There is no way to charge a Nimh, without damage, in less time. Even if you pushed it and charged it at 2.0 amps, it would be so hot after a few minutes, it would melt the wrapper. I use the 12VDC peak charger that came with the plane, when out in the field. I have several and can charge several batteries at a time. Since I have 5 batteries, I can fly continuously, for as long as I care to fly. I also have a Triton and use it to cycle the batteries, every so often. Even the Triton needs 30 minutes to charge these particular batteries, so cycling them usually takes an hour, or so, per battery. I suspect that if his flight times are that short, he is only getting a surface charge in the battery. ...JMHO.....Pat
Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 PM

Hey y'all, I'm new to the hobby (not RC in general, but flying). I've been following this thread for a couple of weeks now and must say that it really helped a lot. So I wanted to give something back from the experiences I gathered. I started out buying a little aero ace at Walm*** (can I write that out?). That's when I got hooked. After one week of flying this little thing, I wanted to have something more plane-like. So I checked the Internet and found this forum. I went and bought me a Super Cub. No deal putting this together, as I already had a Tamiya RC-car and a Sail-boat. I must say, that helped a lot too (using controls just a little to see what your plane/boat/car does). But I was pretty nervous when I was out the first time. The wind was just at the limit according to the manual and on my first take off (which worked fine right from the runway) I flew directly into a bush. I didn't expect that the SC would be so robust. So I had about 3 more take offs and landings (actually more crashings, but I always used the grass to land on, so that the impact is not so hard). When I returned home, I saw that a little piece of the foam at the wing tip came off (supposedly during one of my soft crashes). I took a little of the foam from the packaging and taped it to the wing with clear packaging tape (worked really fine). After that, I had the idea to protect the wing a little more. So I taped the complete front edge of the wing. The landing gear was a little bent (due to the grass landings. Every time I made it to get straight to the grass and give a little up elevator, it landed just fine but then tipped over) but that was easy to fix. On my next flights (this time there was really no wind), the take off and landing worked really good 2 times from a gravel road. I had one crash in sand (I underestimated how fast the plane came down, but made the crash off the road) and one tipping. This was after I recharged the battery for about 20 minutes in the car which was not sufficient (the engine did cut off). But it was really well gliding, so it was no bigger problem to soft-crash again. The landing gear got bent again. My flying experience is this: a ROG is pretty easy. If you had some other RC (car, boat or whatsoever) with an analogue control, you're well prepared and know that giving too much input could lead to a crash (that's basically the same with a car and a boat). The flying part was pretty good. I just didn't expect that the plane needs so much up elevator when making turns to maintain altitude (that was better on the second time I was out, because I used a little more caution when using the control than the first time). The most challenging part for me was getting the plane straightened out to the runway when I wanted to land. The landing was pretty easy (I followed the hints from the forum with shutting the engine off right before landing and giving a little up elevator right before touch down). That was actually the reason that the engine turned off during the flight on my second try (I tried to get the plane straight to the runway 2 or 3 times and never made it).
Overall, the plane is pretty easy to fly if you have a little RC experience with something non-flying. It is very robust and easy to fix. Today I glued the battery-receiver-holder to the fuselage with some hot glue as this began to loosen due to the tippings (it didn't come off, but it was obvious that this could happen on one of my next tippings). The prop looks a little shredded on the edges but still performs pretty good. I will never charge the battery again in the car (I might do that again once I replaced the car battery. My car almost didn't start as the battery is weak). By the way, I really recommend landing the plane on grass or sand for the first few flights. I always had a runway to start and land, but when I couldn't get the plane straight to the runway for landing, I was really glad to have something soft around. I'll keep on going like I started and first practice starting and landing until that works reasonably. If I make this, I'll try to fly a little more.

I know this was a long post. I hope I wasn't boring you, but I wanted to tell you all, that your posts really helped me to get started, especially the parts with the landing, putting only a little input to the control......

The German Guy
Old 09-14-2006, 04:05 AM

sorry guys didnt mean to miss lead you all it was infact a typo was ment to be charged in 45 min

Cheers
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 AM

Hi German Guy,

I for one really appreciate your story on your progress with the Super Cub. I started flying recently myself with those dang little "addictive" Aero Aces. They are really loads of fun and at $29.99 each they don't make me nervous to fly and try new things. The last couple of days have been a little too windy here in Colorado to break out the SC and get some more practice with my landings. That is a great idea to use some of the foam from the shipping carton to fix missing small wing pieces. I was trying to think of some kind of product that would be a good match. I'm not sure if you read the suggestion to go to a larger diameter set of wheels for grass landings, I think that if us "grass landers" could double the diameter we could actually land on the taller grass without nosing over. I'm going to hit the hobby store next week to see if they have anything that will do the trick. I will post an update here if I find something.

Here's wishing many soft landings your way !!! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-14-2006, 10:48 AM
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: cjg

I find the landing gear really easy to put in if you simply squeeze both struts toward each other, insert into the slot easily, and release.

Hal, interested in your new larger landing gear. What kind is it?
cjg,
The tires are from a Clancy Lazy Bee ARF. I got the Trexler tires for that, so the boxed ones went into my tire drawer until I found they fit the SC. I searched several suppliers but could not find the exact same product. They're very similar to Dubro's Super Lite Foam wheels. They give it a more scale look similar to real SC's with the tundra tires. Landings are less harsh, but they also give it a bit of bounce if you don't fly it all the way to the ground. I'll try to post a pic ot two in the next couple days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.