Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Kavan Sopwith Pup

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 12:12 AM
ScottB
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kavan Sopwith Pup

I recently purchased a used kavan ( Hobby Lobby) Sopwith Pup.
I am looking for any info on flight chacteristics. The setup in this plane is what i believe to be the stock configuration. A speed 280 motor with a 3.4: 1 gear ratio and a 10 x 4.7 prop. I do have a 300 Mah 8 cell battery pack. Also liiking for any modifications that would make this plane a better performer.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-28-2003, 12:36 AM
KillerWatt

i've read that the usual, cheap, can type 280 motors just barely have enough thrust, regardless of gear and prop combo to keep the Pup in the air..... something hotter, like the BB version or the sp 300 size motors should fly better but might need different batteries......... also, you might beef up the R ane E control horns attachment points as some have been known to break loose from the foam control surfaces and run the LG axle rubber bands rather "loose" as there isn't any give in the rigid and easy to break-off wooden LG legs ......... kw
Old 05-28-2003, 07:54 AM
Wright Flyer

Scott,

I've got a part built Kavan Sopwith Pup and even before I fly it the first time I'm already making changes to it to discard the supplied geared 280 and put in a GWS EPS300. Everything I've read about this plane on the internet suggests that Kavan were "having a laugh" when they put that 280 in there - it'll barely fly it. OTOH I've heard of several people who've successfully upgraded to an EPS300 and think it is a GREAT plane. The only tricky bit is working out how to mount it (it involves cutting off the front "fake radial" plate and bolting the gearbox to that. I think I'm using the B ratio and will probably use an APC 9x6 on it. (I may well also use some LiPo batteries, not for the added duration but to lighten it further and up the performance a bit more)

Cliff
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
DeferredDefect

Default RE: Kavan Sopwith Pup

Hello,

I recently picked up a Pup from a hobby shop discount rack. I used a NiCd 700 mAh pack and the stock motor, but it had a heck of a time staying in the air. I replaced this with a generic bell outrunner from Hobbyking and a 2s pack, and now she flew great. Sadly, I nosed her into a lake after trying inverted flight (watch out for those highly undercambered airfoils!), and the ship's been sitting in the basement since. I have a new outrunner and have begun the rebuild, hopefully we'll be flying again by tomorrow. 

As for the flight characteristics; think generic slow flyer. Ground handling is surprisingly good - lots of rudder authority without a steerable tailwheel. She gets her tail up at a very low speed, and can be brought down to a walking pace and still remain controllable in flight. Stalls (especially with the lighter power setup), are gentle, but the nose will cleanly drop. With such a low flying speed, she's under control again immediately. Landings are a piece of cake; just remember to keep some power on, as there's lots of drag and little momentum. Nose overs are difficult to avoid if you're flying on anything but a paved surface. 

Hope this helps, and happy flying!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a thread on some brushless conversions of the old Kavan Sopwiths: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=kavan+sopwith

Granted, I overpowered mine some, but it flys fantastic now. With the stock power, it barely flew. I since painted the motor plate flat black so it blends right in, you could probably even mount the stock radial engine over it, but I didn't for the sake of cooling and battery installation.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Go-n-up

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Nose overs are difficult to avoid if you're flying on anything but a paved surface.
Yeah, you can roll out nicely when landing on smooth asphalt but even short grass adds enough wheel drag to nose over a top heavy Kavan. Never damages anything but your pride, however.

Nice to hear that some other old Kavans are still flying. My Triplane (same fuselage as your Pup) is still going strong after more than 8 years, two receivers, 3 pairs of servos and occasionally some epoxy here and there. It seemed high priced when I got in in late 2004 but I've certainly got my money's worth out of it. After the conversion to brushless in 2005 it became a pleasure to fly. I hope it lasts forever!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need a recommendation for my old Pup as far as an ESC/out-runner motor combo. I plan to use several new 2 cell 1700 Lipos I have. Anyone here converted the GWS Moth to Brushless? Recommendations?