Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What telemetry warning voltage setting to use for LiFe flight batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What telemetry warning voltage setting to use for LiFe flight batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What telemetry warning voltage setting to use for LiFe flight batteries?

Is there a setting that is ideal? is there a setting that will not false on heavy load voltage drop but still provide adequate reserve to get on the ground?

Will the setting be the same for giant scale and small sport?

For clarity, I'm not interested in a discussion of the minimal value of voltage as a capacity monitor with LiFe batteries. I get that the tradition of expanded scale pre-flight voltage monitoring has little value to determine remaining capacity. Rather, does real time telemetry voltage offer value ie, getting the plane on the ground following a warning?

If so, what setting?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:53 AM
AA5BY

Rarely does a RC modeling question go unanswered because RC'ers are a very helpful community. My assumption is that readers had none, which left me to do the work to draw my own conclusions.

A report of the first effort. http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/telemetry.html
Old 09-13-2013, 04:48 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Steve Anthony at NoBS Batteries, the "no fly" voltage for A123/LiFE is 3.2 volts per cell.

That is the figure I have been using for 3 years.

Dan
Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 AM
AA5BY

Thanks for the report and 3.2v sounds like a good number and is the number I've used the past eight months since converting to LiFe and a transmitter with telemetry. When first converting, I'd asked the question and received a reply to set the TX at 6.3v but during the setup of a model requiring a lot of programming and trial, after a warning 1285mah were required to re-charge the 1300mah pack indicating the setting was too low to be safe.

I'm going to try the 6.5v setting for a time, though I suspect it might be too high for my giant scale and that they will need to remain at 6.4v.