Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Right Thrust

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 02:36 AM
tbzep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Thrust

I'm building and modifying a Kadet Sr. It's been an on and off project for quite a while.

The plane is designed for a .40, probably an old weak one at
that. I'll be running a cheap, but reliable .61 Magnum on it, to haul video and still cameras, the odd wildebeast, annoying cats, etc.

Plans show an optional right thrust setup for the engine to help keep it trimmed between high and low thrust variations. I'm guessing it will be more pronounced with the .61. Do you think there's any need to add the right thrust to this beast? None of my other planes have any right thrust on them. (Fazer, Somethin' Extra, Ultimate FF.)

I've never flown a trainer so I don't know how much of an issue this will be.

Other mods are ailerons, flaps, split elevator and full height rudder, additional fuselage strengthening for heavy payloads, and tail dragger. I think I will mount the engine sideways too. Any thoughts on that?

Tim
Old 02-13-2002, 03:01 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default Right Thrust

I don't think you'll have a problem if you don't add right thrust.

Mike
Old 02-13-2002, 04:45 PM
hiroboz

Default you must add

Well I'm not a pro but, I do want to say add right thrust. I believe without right thrust on your engine your rudder will be working overtime. You'll probably have to run with at least 3/16 - 1/4 inch of right rudder trim. This is OK for flying around, killer on landings and even worse in a cross wind.
protect your camera equipment, put in right thrust!!!!
You must be excellent on the sticks. How do you hold straight during hammerheads , must be a challenge keeping the wings straight before the nose drops, entering a spin. These are just a couple of problems I have encountered without right thrust. Maybe I should go to a smaller prop?????
Old 02-14-2002, 03:49 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default Right Thrust

I've never really thought about it during aerobatic manuevers.....the plane is trimmed out to fly straight and level without the right thrust, so it's never been an issue. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but when I do a hammerhead, the engine is running at a little over idle when the plane makes the stall turn, so I don't think that thrust is effecting it.

Mike
Old 02-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Down Thrust is more important.

The kit has down thrust built into the firewall, but it was not enough for a TT Pro 46. In fact a K&B 40 needed slightly more. I had almost a 1/4" or washers stacked under the rear of the TT-46. Only a couple for the K&B. I would add extra down and right thrust for a 60 sized engine.
Old 02-14-2002, 04:47 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Right Thrust

Put in the right thrust or you will have to retrim rudder for every change in throttle setting, the same goes for downthrust. Depending on the type motor mount you use, you should be able to change thrust setting after the initial flight by adding the appropriate washers to obtain optimum results. Rod
Old 02-15-2002, 02:17 AM
tbzep

Default Right Thrust

I really need to make the decision on down and right thrust before finishing the plane because I plan to make the balsa block cowl for it. I'll keep what everyone has said in mind and think on it a few more days.

I still need to build the tail feathers and rework the wing for flaps. I originally set it up for ailerons only, but I think flaps would be fun just to play with. That will keep me busy for a while until I get back to the firewall.

Guys, keep the ideas and comments coming. I like what you've brought up so far!

Tim