Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OFNA Buggy help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Coaltrain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA Buggy help?

Im new to 1/8 scale buggies and I am looking to get into it as inexpensivly as possible. I am not however new to r/c(racing on and off since 85). I am looking for a buggy so when I race this summer I have more than one class to run. I have a XXX-NT but turn out is low everywhere so off to ebay it goes. What I want to know is whats the difference between the 5000+ variations of OFNA buggies, Ultra, LX, MBX, Comp, 9.5, Hyper7, Hyper7 PBS, Hyper7 PCR, Hyper Pro? All seem to be available as kits/rtr/arr. Im tying to stay under $400.00 so my wife doesnt kill me, she doesnt know about the chassis/diff/brakes/3.3.arms etc I just backorderd for my Revo yesterday
Old 02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
JQA3

Default RE: OFNA Buggy help?

try to get a buggy off of the rcu buy/sell forums. You can probably get somthing nice for cheap.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Klaus448
My Feedback: (1)

I wold actually like to know the answer to the original question as well. I tried searching for this exact thing and could only find various unrelated details about the Ofna buggies.

If someone who knows about the Ofna buggies could list all the buggies in order from highest quality, to lowest with a quick description/comparison of each, that would be awesome.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Coaltrain

ORIGINAL: Klaus448

I wold actually like to know the answer to the original question as well. I tried searching for this exact thing and could only find various unrelated details about the Ofna buggies.

If someone who knows about the Ofna buggies could list all the buggies in order from highest quality, to lowest with a quick description/comparison of each, that would be awesome.
Thats what I'm talkin about. Even the OFNA site doesnt say what the differences are. And I looked in the rcu classifieds and I can get a Hyper7 PBS RTR on tower right now for 399.99 - 30.00 + free shipping and its new, most people are selling Hyper7 rollers for $200.00+
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Super_Dave

The ravager, LX, and MBX are all just bash quality buggies and aren't worth getting unless you only want to bash. The deigns are so damn similar I really don't know why they bother to have 3 buggies with a different name anyway.

The hyper 7 (soon hyper 8) and jammins are the only race quality buggies from ofna. I really can't tell you the difference between the hyper 7 PBS and PCR but I can tell you theres close to no difference. I've driven them both and both were set up by a very experienced racer and I wouldn't pick either... its a very layed back buggy which is easy to drive but you just can't run that fast with it and they are pretty bouncy compaired to my kyosho on rough terrain. Some people do like the way it handles... but your going to have a hard time getting it to turn especially on a tight track.

I would get the hyper 7 TQ kit from tower. Its very cheap but I think it handles better then the PBS and PCR. Its more aggressive letting you get those lower lap times and get under someone diving into a corner. The parts quality are great and instead of wasting money on electronics and and engine your going to throw out anyway just put your own in. I think the kit is a little over $200 on tower hobbies for rolling chassis. You still will need a lot of things and you probably will go atleast a little over $400 but its deffinatly the best choice for the long run.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Coaltrain

JUst ordered the Hyper7 TQ Sport from Tower.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Super_Dave

Thats a good choice. I have yet to hear anything bad about them and I just drove one last weekend. 2nd time it drove on track (I drove it both times) and I could keep up with the top racer in this area... not quite as easy as I can with my kyosho but I've had a lot more testing and tunning with my buggy.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:52 AM
Klaus448

Thanks for the help Dave, and good choice Coaltrain! I have that exact buggy in my wish list with full intentions of going through with it.

I have a couple other questions, maybe you or Dave can help me out with. I'm also thinking about going with the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000639095&I=LXBZ33&P=K]O.S. .21 RG (P)[/link] for a power plant. Looking at the description of the motor, it's telling me I need a flywheel, nut, and bell guide. I did a search for those part numbers but came up empty handed. Can you guys point me in the right direction on those items for that motor? I want to make sure I have everything organized in my wish list before I purchase. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:56 AM
Klaus448

Scratch tha last post. I found a different website with what appears to be the same kit for sale (matching part numbers) but looks completely different in the picture here as compared to the one on Tower.

Picture on Tower probably just isn't up to date. Anyway, it appears to come with a clutchbell, flywheel, and even a full exhaust.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:22 AM
trackman

im not sure about the pipe but i know it comes with flywheel,clutch and clutchbell. ive put a
couple together for people.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:33 PM
kx250ryder

ORIGINAL: Klaus448

OFNA is a distributor of two separate companies:

Hong Nor:
X1-CR (Newest Pro kit, c-hub)
X1-RTR (cheapened version of Pro, c-hub, RTR)
9.5 Pro (Pro kit, older comes with C-hub and PBS=Pillow Ball=MBX suspension)
9.5 Ravager (outlaw sized engine, base model, C-hub, RTR)
9.5 Violator (outlaw sized engine and suspension, base model, kingpin suspension, RTR)
9.5 MBX (base model, PBS=Pillow ball=MBX suspension, RTR)
9.5 RTR (base model, C-hub suspension, RTR)

HoBao:
Hyper 8 Pro (Newest Pro kit, c-hub)
Hyper 8 (Base model kit, c-hub)
Hyper 7 PCR Pro (Pro Kit PCR upgrades, laydown servos, c-hub and PBS)
Hyper 7 Pro (Pro kit, c-hub)
Hyper 7 TQ ARR (kit, with engine, assembled w/o radio gear, C-hub)
Hyper 7 PCR PBS RTR (RTR, laydown servos, cheapened version of PCR Pro, PBS suspension, RTR)
Hyper 7 TQ (kit, base model, c-hub)
Hyper 7 PBS RTR (base model, PBS, cheapened version of Pro, RTR)

EDIT: Oops, forgot about the Ultra series. These are also Hong Nor buggies. They are a design even older to the 9.5 (although they have received some updates, such as laydown servos, and outlaw width suspension). I would still consider these below the 9.5 and definitely below the X1 series. These cars have been out for over a decade now I believe and much of their design has been improved upon in subsequent cars.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Klaus448

KX250 to the rescue again.

Remember [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3456130]this[/link] bro?

It was a while ago..... but I'm just now getting around to taking your advice
Old 02-28-2006, 02:52 PM
kx250ryder

Thanks for listening. It took a while to come up with that list, and I think it will give you one of the best values in R/C right now.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Klaus448

KX, only questions I had regarding that list is the starter box.... I couldn't find anything called "Chrome top...." but I was able to find a few that ran off 12v rather than the stick packs. Pretty much any box that works with 1:8 Buggies and runs off 12v is pretty much all that's important there, right?

Also, you spec out a Ofna clutch bell on that list. Is the one that comes with the kit not acceptable? Or perhaps the wrong tooth count? If so, is there anyway I can get a direct Tower link to the one you suggest I should use? Thanks man.

Edit: Also, I see you spec out an exhaust setup to go with the OS. Is this because the one with the kit is not a good one, or does the kit simply not even come with one? (See above, this was a question earlier in the thread).
Old 02-28-2006, 04:47 PM
kx250ryder

No, when I made that list, I was under the impression that the kit was just a kit, instead of a full setup minus engine and electronics. You could use the equipment you have (clutch, clutch bell, etc), but I would still recommend a one-piece pipe such as a Jammin JP-2.

The starter box is nicknamed "Chrome Top" it is actually OFNA part no. 10250. The important part isn't so much that it is 12 volt as the fact that it has a 12 volt heavy duty motor, as opposed to 1 or 2 of the smaller 550 or 750 motors (which can also run on 12 volts). That 12 volt motor is the key, and it could probably crank over a siezed engine. You can get that box with or without a power panel. If you get it with a power panel, you can run a clip on glow ignitor right off of the 12 volt battery, which will last alot longer (as long as the 12 volt will) compared to one using a AA or C battery. Which also means one less battery to charge up all the time.

Also, if you are not running in a class that absolutely requires you to run a .21 displacement engine, a Sportwerks .26 is another option (and buy a pullstart eliminating backplate). The whole setup from Horizon is 145.00 (w/backplate) vs. the OS RG at 110.00. Its alot more powerful, but not quite as easy to tune.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:02 AM
CHAVAN30
My Feedback: (2)

The TQ is a good choice. I have a Hyper Pro because I like the Chub.
The PCR also comes with a center spider diff(at least mine does).
I think the Hyper line is extremely competitive at the club level.
I would go with the OS .21rg with Jammin JP1 pipe. You won't believe the power from such a
cheap motor.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Klaus448

ORIGINAL: kx250ryder

No, when I made that list, I was under the impression that the kit was just a kit, instead of a full setup minus engine and electronics. You could use the equipment you have (clutch, clutch bell, etc), but I would still recommend a one-piece pipe such as a Jammin JP-2.

The starter box is nicknamed "Chrome Top" it is actually OFNA part no. 10250. The important part isn't so much that it is 12 volt as the fact that it has a 12 volt heavy duty motor, as opposed to 1 or 2 of the smaller 550 or 750 motors (which can also run on 12 volts). That 12 volt motor is the key, and it could probably crank over a siezed engine. You can get that box with or without a power panel. If you get it with a power panel, you can run a clip on glow ignitor right off of the 12 volt battery, which will last alot longer (as long as the 12 volt will) compared to one using a AA or C battery. Which also means one less battery to charge up all the time.

Also, if you are not running in a class that absolutely requires you to run a .21 displacement engine, a Sportwerks .26 is another option (and buy a pullstart eliminating backplate). The whole setup from Horizon is 145.00 (w/backplate) vs. the OS RG at 110.00. Its alot more powerful, but not quite as easy to tune.

Thanks again for your help KX. I found the box you're talking about. It's like $60 on Tower. Must be cheaper due to the lack of power panel, but it mos def has the 12v motor.

I let another RC buddy of mine talk me into backordering the Hyper 8 Pro kit last night, so I ended up going with that. I'm still going to take your advice on everything else though.

I do not race. I live in a small town with the nearest hobby store 1.5hrs away. I just like to build them and run them, but still like to have race quality stuff. I think I may try that .26 Sportworks in the 8.