Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Aeroflyte Platypus

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
kev1bec2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroflyte Platypus

Hi, does anyone know where I could get plans or a kit of an old aeroflyte platypus airboat. I had one when I was younger and it was powered by a cox 0.49 engine. Lost the boat years ago and would like to build another for nostalgic reasons. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Kevin
Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 PM
pommy54

Default RE: Aeroflyte Platypus

Hi there, I read your post almost with a tear in my eye. Over the years I have built four of the Platypus kits, but foolishly never kept either the plans or the cutouts to make another boat - it was such a cheap kit! The boats were inevitably given away to budding modellers and that was a satisfying thing to do. Now like you, I would love to do the same with my own children and few can even remember them, let alone sells them. I don't suppose you had any success with your search? If so I would dearly like to either have a copy of the plan or whatever you turned up.

Thanks for the memories
Steve (pommy54)
Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 AM
greenlt1monster

Saw your post and did some digging around. This is not the same kit however they might be able to point you in the right direction. I hope this helps..

AEROFLYTE DICTATOR BOAT
http://shop.acercmodels.com/index.ph...=9311818243215
AEROFLYTE SABRE BOAT KIT
http://shop.acercmodels.com/index.ph...=9311818243239
Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 PM
pommy54

Hi there, thanks for the link - I remember the old Aeroflyte FF boats. I have emailed the store you suggested and now only hope they may even have a kit. The 'Aeroflyte' brand of kits went off the shelf years ago, sadly - but maybe, just maybe gathering dust in a corner .....
Steve (pommy54)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Wakusei

Look for Balsa Pacific from ozzietraders

grtz.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
millesm

I have just resurrected a beaten up old Platypus and set up as an electric.  Very impressed with how it handles although it's in need of some repairs and fine tuning.

Given I have a working boat, it would be possible for me to create some basic plans for somebody to start from.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 AM
pommy54

Ahhhhh! A glimmer of hope. I would love anything you could offer. It may even be worth a couple of nice reds (local brew - very nice!)

Regards, steve (pommy54)
Old 10-21-2012, 04:05 PM
millesm

Here are some photos..... I'll knock out some rough plans as soon as I get an hour to myself.

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery...umb-235009.jpg

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery...umb-235011.jpg

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery...umb-235012.jpg

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery...umb-235013.jpg

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery...umb-235014.jpg

Old 10-21-2012, 04:18 PM
kev1bec2

Thats awesome! I cant believe after 3 years I am getting an anwer to my orginal post.
Some plans would be great but even having those pics gives an idea on scale and shape.

Thanks Kev.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM
millesm

Here's my first attempt at getting some plans for you guys. I had the boat upside down for one template so have labeled the TOP so you know which way is up.

Scaled is an A4 page. I need to get an A3 to do the side templates so will do that on the weekend with any luck.

Steve.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM
crispyspa

yea...I left my magnifying glass in my other pants. LOL
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 PM
pommy54

Thanks steve, looking forward to future instalments

Steve (pommy54)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 AM
nathj

Good news guys i have the plans!

on the weekend a mate had a nitro car that i helped him get going and the smell of nitro made me want to get my platupuss out again.

i bought it in 1997 and it was the last one the hobby shop ever sold, iv gone through two radios, 5 diferent coats of paint and god knows how many props.

im still runing the original thunder tiger motor, i pulled it off the platypuss boiled it in soapy water (forgot where i saw that trick) and scrubbed it up with a tooth brush replaced the fuel tank and fuel lines sprayed in wd40 and tuned, and she still runs like the day i bought it. i was atually thinking that they dont make em like they use to!

so then i threw in a fresh set of digital servos an 8ch receiver beceause thats all i have lol and tuned into my turnigy 9x radio, i never ever thought i would be tuning in the platypus to a digital radio felt quit good actually and the funny thing is that the boat cost as much as the radio hahahaha

i kept the plans because i kept the plans to everything i have ever built and i remember thinking if i ever lost the platypus i would build it from the plans which are proper to scale plans with all cut outs!

so after having a fun weekend with my platypus i thought i would google it to see if i could find anything even pics and i ended up here.

now the hard part, i have just done a quick search with no luck but i promise you i do have it and the boss will know exactly where it is (the wife)

ill chase up tomorrow this is an awsome kit and it should live on! i have awsome memorys of all the aeroflyt products

Old 02-25-2013, 05:26 AM
nathj

oh and i found this ripp off http://www.senseplatypus.com/
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM
millesm

the taper on the real Platypus is much more gradual than on the copy.

Mine is running on electric now and is great fun. Does not like the wind much but is a fantastically stable model.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
kev1bec2

Thats awesome nathj, maybe you could post some pics of your platypus as well as the plans?

I would love to build another one.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM
nathj

Hi guys well i have to be honest this forum isnt very good, not the content but the forum itself i always stay away from forums that dont let you upload pictures.

so after looking everywhere to see how to upload here without finding anything i had to open a photo bucket account and post the links oh and wheres the spell checker, arrrrrrggggg

i only joined for this thread

so heres the links the finish is rough as guts which is expected from almost 20yrs of abuse also iv taken a photo of the plans i will scan in the next few days. i will also upload some pics of it in action from a few years ago and maby a you tube video. but not here obviouse but thinks will be.

hope it helps i will give u mesurments upon request

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1

the next pic shows where i have fibre glassed the bottom with epoxy after running over oyster laidened rocks it punched a nice hole in it so i strengthend up with some fibre glass.

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=3

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=4

wow just found the upload bar doh! any how the full res pics are at the links above

im running an OS .10 with the motor angled down and almost 500g lead in the nose it oscilates in the chop but when its smooth it absolutly flys!

i also upgraded by installing a 500ml tank into the hull, i have an onboard glow driver comming, now i have 5 spare channels any sugestions what i should do with them would be great.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67948.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1856824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32099.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1856825  
Old 04-08-2013, 06:35 PM
bigbazza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, i too still have my Platypus. Purchased i think it was in 1988-1989. From memory it was $49. bought it from the hobby shop in Hornsby.
So it still is in really good condition, it still has the .049 engine on it, only ran it a few times, but it still has the grime from fuel not washed off last time i used it, oh around 1992. I did re-inforce the nose with aryldyte, and around the rear bottom edges. It has lived with the parents until i re-collected it recently, am planning on throwing an electric on it, and taking it down to the Lakes.
I too was actually thinking about building a new one, and thought i could re-create it from scratch, i still remember all the parts as i built it, it would be a shame but i saw a couple for sale on Ebay a few months ago, and could have pulled it apart and drawn plans from it.

Will take some pics of my unit and upload.
The following users liked this post:
Kev. (11-18-2021)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM
pommy54

Hi to all and thanks for the pics and stories. I have downloaded them and am trying to make a reasonable set of drawings from htem - see how I go.

I read with interest the comment about putting a larger motor on one. I had an OS10FSR and with it fitted it went like the clappers! That was until I put a Tee Dee 051 - holy cow, not quite the power of the OS, but a fraction of the weight and an exhaust note that drew crowds!

Haappy days!

Thanks again
Steve (Pommy54)
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 AM
nathj

Hi guys

i took my platypus out yesterday here is a vid

http://youtu.be/Ra-Pyjtnc0E

its way too unstable despite being fun so i have now put some more weight in the nose

see pic

Name:	Xv64140.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1897701  
Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 AM
pommy54

Great video - i remember mine doing something similar. Rather than adding weight to the nose i attached a small trim tab at the back, deflecting SLIGHTLY into the stream of water passing under the boat. It had the effect of angling the nose down just enough to stop the porpoising. Have fun with it, I'm really quite jealous!
Old 03-28-2020, 01:22 AM
Aussie Rocket

Hi all
Hope you don't mind me refreshing an old post. I am new to the forum and just came across this page. Seeing nathj's video bought back many memories for me.
I too bought a Platypus back in the 80s. I remember because I got the speed controller and battery for my birthday. I decided to go with electric due to ease of use as it was my first RC build. It was a great boat although battery run time vs charge time drove me nuts. I had it for a few years before I went for a rebuild. I scaled the plans up around 1.5 and rebuilt it with balsa wood and fibreglass. It ran an OS .58 with a 10 inch 3 blade prop. It still required the lead in the front for stability but it handled really well and got up a nice plane. Best boat I ever had.
It is still in the shed with a broken prop and rudder piece after jumping sandbanks down the river. Hoping to one day get it going again perhaps with a brushless setup this time round. I have a photo from just after build with fresh paint.
Regards
Rod

Name:	20200328_171253.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2266831  
Old 11-14-2021, 02:19 PM
Kev.

G'day Platypus 190 fans. I too am an avid lover of the thing! As a kid in the 80's I had a few after watching mates flog them around the lakes etc. I've been searching for a kit/old one or whatever will get me back on the water. I've been through your chats and found some useful info and links, but with my predicament I can't seem to find what I'm after. Do any of you have one gathering dust, or plans you could send a copy of to me please? I'm recently retired from the Aussie Navy with a busted body (lower back, busted neck, both lower legs and left knee all buggered). I'm keen to find and maybe get back into something I loved all those years a go, and the 190 was my all time favourite! Cheers all and I hope to hear back from you soon
Old 11-14-2021, 02:43 PM
millesm

The only plans are the ones that were uploaded a few posts up - missing the parts templates unfortunately and I have not seen any since the 80's.

Mine is a little busted up after stupidly proving that I could run it on wet grass, hit a bump and smashed up the tail.

I can trace the basic frame shape for you to attempt a rebuild from template if you want.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:45 PM
Kev.

Originally Posted by millesm
The only plans are the ones that were uploaded a few posts up - missing the parts templates unfortunately and I have not seen any since the 80's.

Mine is a little busted up after stupidly proving that I could run it on wet grass, hit a bump and smashed up the tail.

I can trace the basic frame shape for you to attempt a rebuild from template if you want.
Crikey, thanks for the rapid reply! Yeah I have them from a few messages up, and have worked out how to zoom in lol. Have also found a local balsa and model supplier so fingers crossed I can source all that is needed. Will post progress and most likely be asking for spec etc as I go cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.