Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 AM
K-H2o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

SnowDoggie- Looking cool !!I wantto see howyou doahatch. I would stick with Polyester if you have regular surfboard foam (way faster)Carve it up!!! Aloha, Karl
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Hughengland

Monday 2nd Jan 2012 - Ironwoods surf break
Jacques new board - 2 shot sequence
Shot by Hugh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80999.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1708935   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43796.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1708936  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Hughengland

Monday 2nd Jan 2012 - Ironwoods surf break
John's board - 3 shot sequence
Shot by Hugh

Name:	Fd93067.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1708937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21685.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1708938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79742.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1708939  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 PM
K-H2o

Saildoggie-  I missed your other ?  I would go with 2x4 oz  top and bottom for average strength or single 6oz for light weight. and some patches around the hatch and keel area.    Karl 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
jocktime

Hugh,
Photos came out great. I'm still working on the video from our session
yesterday at Ironwoods. I got some goodvideo of you and John. I will post it
after I finish editing. Karl we missed you yesterday, you would have had fun.

John,
The Disturber, Randys board.Jock

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzcg_9XSLE&context=C349891dADOEgsToPDskJY DoUaDrFuCwRYHuElsb88[/youtube]

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Saildoggie

Cool nose ridin' there! is that new video?
Did not know someone had already built a longboard!

Picking up some glass and resin today...

Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

Saildoggie

yes that is an old video , the guy that made it lives in dana point some were near you and justin, he still has it but i dont know if it still works he has seen you and justin at doney rc surfen and he wants to meatup with you

john maui
Old 01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Saildoggie

Very cool!
Would be great to meet him, will be hitting Doheney some more, works out great with my yacht racing season to hit morning sessions before getting aboard Roller right there in the Harbor.
Let me know how we can get in touch, grow the bruddahood of RC Surfers!

Founds great source for building supplies that is right on my home from work, picked up resin, cloth, catalyst, surfacant for hot coats, squeggies, Acetone, even some PVA mold release, may take a splash in glass/epoxy off the keel of my NQD board, appears there is ample width for my LiPO packs stood sideways to get them nice and low in the board.

Ordered a motor and ESC today...on it, just need more building time!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM
kitekook

Wow! Hello All...Happy New Years and all that.....

Crazy busy time is over and I can get back... Did manage to do a little work here and there...

Good news is that I am finally charging those Nano Tech Lipo's I bought last month...new batteries,new charger...still so much to learn.

But I am at the stage that I need charged batteries...need to install radio components, program esc, tune.....I can taste the salt water now!!!

I bought the Power lab pro 8 from Revolectrix...it came highly recommended from the guys at RCnightmare.com and the guys at EPBuddy.com were great(super nice,fast emails, and good pricing)

It comes with these heavy duty alligator clips for running off a battery.

So I had to buy a separate Power supply to run from AC wall jack. I bought a 600watt power supply from our friends at Hobby King. Here is a photo of the charging beast at work

It is charging all 4 of the 5000mAh packs at once! and doing a real nice job at that.
Charger came with computer software(additional option) so you can monitor the charging on the laptop.
So much info...graphs galore ...amps,volts,fuel,pack capacity, pack voltage all vs time...super cool

I charged at 1C rate...1 hour 16minutes to full charge(all 4 !!!) from the safe shipping charge (which was at 15.3v(60+% discharged) to
16.8volts
Batteries say they can handle 8C[:-]....charger says 5C ready

never got over 170 watts...so I will try 2C next time.

Saildoggie...I really like the guys at Foam E Z.com for supplies. Here in San Diego you can order from them and its like they knew what you wanted and shipped it before you told them and paid for it !!!! I ordered my last shipment of resin Wed morning at around 10am and it was in my hands at 1pm the next day. I don't drive anywhere for resin,glass, or supplies anymore.

Also, I just noticed that my cell is on the PS...Virgin Mobile is so cheap! Best part is that with a free app you can turn it into a mobile hotspot! This what I am doing right now...so I can post on the fly from my laptop! $25.00 per month! unlimited text, unlimited web,....300 minutes of air time. Month to month...pay, don't pay, pay again good for 30 days at a time! you do have to buy your own phone(that whats craigslist is for anyway...that ,and $20 unwanted surfboards) Radio Shack.

EDIT: Whoa! ran 1 pack to the Lipo cut off (3.0V / Cell) whilst testing on the 'pond'....I recharged it in 05:18 !!!! Lipo cool to touch...charger,battery didn't break a sweat...Faster to charge than to surf out!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

kitepro

good to hear your post. nice batts 4-4cell lipos john maui

Name:	Wu61268.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1709914  
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Hughengland

Wed 4th Jan - Maui North Shore - HUGE waves today.
See picture below taken at jaws today by M. Neil - paddle in surfer (he did not make it).
I was suposed to be rc surfing with the others but have to work all week at the Hyundai Golf Championships.
I was setting up Golf Channel's on course studio, lights etc overlooking Honolua Bay all day today watching perfect big sets roll in all day long.
John, Karl & Jock were there rc surfing - so I await their news, adventure and pictures!

Hugh reporting

Name:	Lj21916.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1709965  
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Saildoggie

By not make it on the surfer, you mean did not make the drop, RIGHT?

Pretty sure I would not survive a wipeout like that...is the guy OK?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
K-H2o

Yo- I had one of my worst days ever RC surfing.MY first time tryingHonolua bay, 8' face waves on the inside with masive rip going down the point. John ( who was ripping it up) and was pressuring me to charge, so I launched. The chop was bigger than my littledude and after not long the ball link on the guy disconnected andit won't self right. I had to get on my board get thru the rocks and paddle across the bay and retrieve him. All under the watch of hundreds of spectators who lined the cliffs to watch 150 guys compete for the 3x over head sets that were barreling thru. It was to crowed for me to want to go surf myself and my alter ego ( Mini Me) was not up to the task either, so we putour tailbetween the legs,loaded up the truck and did the 1 1/4 hour drive back to the hide out. Maybe next time ???
Saildog- Not making it means that he probablydidn't make the drop. I didn't hear any one died. Jaws is the closest beach to my house. Yesterday I heardhad 50 paddle- in surfers trying to ride itandthe tow- in guys had to leave. It was windy which makes it even harder to paddle in.

Aloha, Karl
Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Saildoggie

Wow, serious RC Surfer rescue, sounds a little hairy to say the least!
Glad you and your RC Surfer survive, we have huge waves hitting our coast as well right now, nothing like the tube monsters you have there but big enough to keep all but the best surfers on the beach.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

K-H2o

dam that was a fun day but i am sorry your man had a dislocated hip, the waves were powerful i took some pics but they are out of the video so not so good .K-H2o is the man if my guy died i might have drowen swiming for him . he is a great surfer and can handle the bigest waves maui has to offer.

john maui

Name:	Rp42271.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1710110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22457.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1710111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86864.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1710112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45832.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1710113  
Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Justin-san

Awesome surf shots Maui!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Ya For Sure.

I say, Bro Down 2012 Event #2 Be Held On Maui [8D]
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 PM
kitekook

ORIGINAL: surfcurls

Ya For Sure.

I say, Bro Down 2012 Event #2 Be Held On Maui [8D]
I second that! Maybe we could have a week long clinic on custom board building...Maui Style.....

I don't mind sleeping out back with the chickens
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

kitepro

i think the waves are at your house now ,the surf report said up to 15ft at moonlight beach . go get some ,but dont forget to get pics .

doc curls the best spot is still were justin-san andthe dog live there is allways waves there plus its always glassey

john maui
Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 PM
kitekook

Yea surf up for sure, took my board out Wed to the model boat pond for a quick check...SailDoggie was right about the tail rocker...at slow sppeds and under it own momentum it was Fantastic! Turned so sweet! but just add power from the prop....nose came way up and just plowed through the water and eventually the dreaded motor hop[]

So...back to the drawing board (shaping room) and re reading this forum. The last couple days I have started another board...I am 10 hours in...ready to cut open the hatch in the morning.

I put some of that reverse JIMI Rocker in this version, moved my keel lead forward, and am moving the hatch opening forward 1/2 inch. For sure my best one yet!

We are getting real big waves...but they are not the right color...I don't know about the rest of you,

but I am jonesing for a Gero wave...JIMI
Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Saildoggie

Hey, whoa, no need to re-shape or make a new board!

Very easy to add an adjustable cavitation plate to the tail!
I would start with cutting a plastic gallon milk jug sheet out then cut it to shape to match the tail of the board, tape the leading edge to the bottom of the board and make some shims of different thicknesses and run it full trottle!

Once you find the sweet spot you can build up the aft section accordingly in many different ways and keep it looking good!

Ifully expect to move things around and re-design as necesary on my development longboard, part of the fun!

Adjustments are part of the gig, just like in life as most of us know it!!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
kitekook

'adjustable cavitation plate'...I'll give it a go in the morning, thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 PM
jocktime

A little Honolua Bay action, Jock

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KL8fCxgmWU[/youtube]
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 AM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

I have been reading this very interesting forum. I have found a unopen Kyosho RC Surfer Dude and bought it right away. I always wanted one. I have been into cars for a very long time. I sure this will rate right up there with on road racing. My question to you guys is, I need a water cooled esc and water cooled motor for this model. I have found hobbypartz.com and they have esc and motors. What would you recomend? I really need to know what are the best upgrades to install. Thanks !
Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Saildoggie

Wow, killer RC Surfing there Jocktime!

Kitekook, once you see what thickness you need to overcome that excessive tail rocker you can easily scab a piece of foam onto the bottom, shape it real nice and glass it!
I was concerned with that rocker as soon as I saw it.

Powerpark, water cooled motor is what I think we all run, some use heatsinks on the ESC. Just orderd a motor and 60 Amp ESC from Hobbyh King, total cost around $80
You will probably have to also replace the radio, transmitter and reciever as well as the steering servo.
I am using a really cheap car pistol grip radio 2.4 GHZ that is under $50 for the transmitter and reciever.

Let's get you tricked out man, where do you live?

Finally gonna have time to work on my longboard today, first order of business is masking and applying PVA mold mold release to my NQD to get a nice glass/epoxy splash off the keel, then cut all thge way through the stringers so my motor and battery pack can sit right down in there...install the keel and glass the bottom.

Once the bottom is glassed I can work on fitting the sail drum winch and figuring out the radio compartment, fun stuff....the aluminum extrusion goes into the deck from there....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.